PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fields considered walking away from baseball?

Sargeant79
02-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Found this story, courtesy of Rotoworld:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/baseball/article.aspx?subjectID=225&articleID=20080207_2_B4_spanc37307

I wonder if that statement is going to lead to some problems for him. I'm not sure it would be fair, but I could see some people, possibly even those in the team's management, question his heart and/or desire as a result.

gobears1987
02-07-2008, 01:55 PM
It shouldn't cause problems. He had nothing but good things to say about Ozzie in it.

jamteh
02-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Good find. I wish the reporter would have asked him to be more specific about what was going on in the clubhouse that caused him concern. I'm surprised to see he was that dismayed.

jabrch
02-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Good find. I wish the reporter would have asked him to be more specific about what was going on in the clubhouse that caused him concern.

Baseball clubhouse behaviour is pretty predictable. A guy like Josh, predictably, won't fit in. That said, plenty of guys like Josh find their own within a clubhouse and make of it exactly what they want.

Put it this way, whatever Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson were accused of doing - Josh wasn't doing it, and didn't like it.

Flight #24
02-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Baseball clubhouse behaviour is pretty predictable. A guy like Josh, predictably, won't fit in. That said, plenty of guys like Josh find their own within a clubhouse and make of it exactly what they want.

Put it this way, whatever Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson were accused of doing - Josh wasn't doing it, and didn't like it.

Except it probably wasn't those guys since Josh wwas up mostly last year and Brandon/Brian weren't. If anything, I could see it being the Paulie/AJ/Buehrle crowd, or maybe even Ozzie with the Santeria & the cursing.

Regardless, hopefully the whole org is actively trying to make everyone feel comfortable regardless of whether their personal beliefs are aligned or not.

Sockinchisox
02-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Probably the best way to describe this, I didn't know how to reply to this without getting this in roadhouse, so ya that pretty much sums it up.

soxfan43
02-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I think those clubhouse comments could get him into some problems in spring training, depending on what he was referring to.

jabrch
02-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Except it probably wasn't those guys since Josh was up mostly last year and Brandon/Brian weren't.

Right - I wasn't trying to tie the two - just to characterize the behaviour.

maybe even Ozzie with the Santeria

WHAT? Is he really into that?

RichFitztightly
02-07-2008, 02:37 PM
He should be fine. As was mentioned somewhere, as long as you want to win and produce on the field, people won't even think twice about how you "fit in."

santo=dorf
02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Just don't trade him to the Rockies on the cheap.

Sargeant79
02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
It sounds like Josh has a very good attitude about his teammates and how he relates to them, however I could see how his comments, particulary those about leaving baseball, could potentially alienate some in the organization.

While I highly doubt it, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if we might see Fields traded instead of Crede.

Gammons Peter
02-07-2008, 02:44 PM
He sounds like a fruit loop, trade him now

spawn
02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
He sounds like a fruit loop, trade him now
Why? Because his faith was tested? Please. :rolleyes:

Carolina Kenny
02-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Just don't trade him to the Rockies on the cheap.

Is that because most of the Rockies don't believe in evolution?

oeo
02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Some of you are making too much of this. No one here has ever second-guessed their career choice? Or if you haven't gotten there, your major in college? Just because he's a baseball player, doesn't mean that it's any different. Now we're going to start questioning his work ethic and heart? GMAB.

He wasn't sure, but he made his decision. And it was the right one, because he has loads of talent.

NardiWasHere
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Right now, barring any unforseen developments, this seems like a non-story to me.

FedEx227
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM

We're still blaming them? Still using them as the worst people in the world. To be the best of my knowledge neither were on the Chicago White Sox last year at the same time Josh Fields was. So quit the "OMG BA AND MCCARTHY PARTIED, RAPED AND PILLAGED THEY ARE ALL THATS WRONG WITH ATHLETES" crap.

Edit: My bad man!

Right - I wasn't trying to tie the two - just to characterize the behaviour.

Didn't see that quote before.

I know I've read articles about it. Try and dig them up, I know somebody made a topic about it here. Possibly Roadhoused though.

Carolina Kenny
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Right now, barring any unforseen developments, this seems like a non-story to me.

"However, I prayed about it and realized there is nowhere I could have more influence

right now than in that clubhouse."

I disagree, it sounds like he wants the rest of the clubhouse to think and act like him. What kind of influence on the clubhouse does he want to have? Why does he think he is supposed to have a clubhouse influence over other players? Why is he so arrogant to think his beliefs are the best way for the whole ballclub to act?

This may not be a good start for Josh in regards to club chemistry. This is Ozzie's clubhouse and Josh better get used to what he considers profanity. The odds of Josh having influence on Ozzie = zero.

He should keep his mouth shut and play baseball. This whole thing wants me to trade Josh and sign Joe.

voodoochile
02-07-2008, 03:22 PM
A devout Christian questioning whether he belongs in the alcohol/drug/sex infested world of professional sports? NO WAY?!??!?!

This is a non-story. He didn't go to the Tribune and start hammering on PK and Thome for drinking a 12-pack after every game. He talked about his faith and having to reconcile that faith with some of the things he witnessed after being called up to a group of like-minded people.

Sounds like a personal issue and nothing that will affect his relationships with his teammates at all, IMO.

voodoochile
02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
"However, I prayed about it and realized there is nowhere I could have more influence

right now than in that clubhouse."

I disagree, it sounds like he wants the rest of the clubhouse to think and act like him. What kind of influence on the clubhouse does he want to have? Why does he think he is supposed to have a clubhouse influence over other players? Why is he so arrogant to think his beliefs are the best way for the whole ballclub to act?

This may not be a good start for Josh in regards to club chemistry. This is Ozzie's clubhouse and Josh better get used to what he considers profanity. The odds of Josh having influence on Ozzie = zero.

He should keep his mouth shut and play baseball. This whole thing wants me to trade Josh and sign Joe.

Why are you assuming he wants to lead the whole clubhouse in a prayer meeting?

It doesn't have to be sinister. It may be he simply wants to find others who are of like mind and hang out with them and be prepared to lead someone who wants to be led down that path.

I'm not religious at all, so I don't believe what Fields does for a minute, but this really isn't that big of a deal, IMO.

Flight #24
02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07182/798519-63.stm

I don't believe he's sacrificing chickens in the clubhouse, but I believe I've read other articles that he practices more aspects of the religion when in the big V.

Flight #24
02-07-2008, 03:27 PM

It doesn't have to be sinister. It may be he simply wants to find others who are of like mind and hang out with them and be prepared to lead someone who wants to be led down that path.

I'm not religious at all, so I don't believe what Fields does for a minute, but this really isn't that big of a deal, IMO.

Or that he could be an example to fans/kids/others that being a baseball player doesn't mean you're a hard-partying/cursing/etc kind of guy. That comment can really be interpreted in almost a million different ways from innocuous to evangelical.

Jjav829
02-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Or that he could be an example to fans/kids/others that being a baseball player doesn't mean you're a hard-partying/cursing/etc kind of guy. That comment can really be interpreted in almost a million different ways from innocuous to evangelical.

Right. This isn't reason to trade the guy. If he thinks he can change the entire clubhouse, then he'll probably soon realize he can't and will likely move on to trying in other ways, be it by helping more in the community or whatever else he can do.

cws05champ
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM

Maybe that's why we saw a brief rumor of Crazy Carl coming back!!!:tongue:

Carolina Kenny
02-07-2008, 03:34 PM
A devout Christian questioning whether he belongs in the alcohol/drug/sex infested world of professional sports? NO WAY?!??!?!

This is a non-story. He didn't go to the Tribune and start hammering on PK and Thome for drinking a 12-pack after every game. He talked about his faith and having to reconcile that faith with some of the things he witnessed after being called up to a group of like-minded people.

Sounds like a personal issue and nothing that will affect his relationships with his teammates at all, IMO.

Voodoo, as usual you are the logical voice of reason here.
I certainly hope this is a non-issue because I don't want another vast wasteland at 3rd base.

I guess I'm just tired of various groups of people around the world telling me whats right and whats wrong based on their own personal beliefs that are alway 100% right. Some one, some where must be wrong at sometime.

soxfan13
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I cant believe this thread has had this many responses and a few that are way overboard in their reaction. The guy makes a honest statement about whether he made the right choice based on his religious convictions. Every team in every sports has the religious click. The White Sox are no different and Fields will find a solid core to hang with. To say trade the kid because of these harmless comments and to think it will disrupt chemistry of the team is beyond ridiculous!!

munchman33
02-07-2008, 03:41 PM

I agree with Voodoo. Non-issue.

Risk
02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Right. This isn't reason to trade the guy. If he thinks he can change the entire clubhouse, then he'll probably soon realize he can't and will likely move on to trying in other ways, be it by helping more in the community or whatever else he can do.

I think you're right on this. I also think that part of maturing is understanding and accepting others who have different views and living with that. Without ****housing this thread, lots of people who have devout beliefs are able to get along with their co-workers in a professional setting just fine without having to burden them with "hell, fire and brimstone" like practices.

I don't think this is much of a story at all.

Risk

spawn
02-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I cant believe this thread has had this many responses and a few that are way overboard in their reaction. The guy makes a honest statement about whether he made the right choice based on his religious convictions. Every team in every sports has the religious click. The White Sox are no different and Fields will find a solid core to hang with. To say trade the kid because of these harmless comments and to think it will disrupt chemistry of the team is beyond ridiculous!!
Word. He didn't insult anyone. He spoke openly and honestly. Now people want him traded for his honesty? Geez. Sox fans are never happy.

eriqjaffe
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Please note that this will be one of the few times during his career that the words "Josh Fields" and "walked" will be used in the same sentence.

jamteh
02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
News of Josh's possible retirement has been greatly exaggerated?

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

Sargeant79
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM

I'm glad to hear he was able to clarify himself (although it sounds like he shouldn't have had to). For what it's worth, I don't think that his religious beliefs would be (or should be) an issue in the clubhouse. I do think that his comments about considering "walking away from baseball" as was included in the original article may be a red flag to some. Glad to hear that it doesn't sound like that is exactly what is said.

santo=dorf
02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Please note that this will be one of the few times during his career that the words "Josh Fields" and "walked" will be used in the same sentence.
Lame.

Josh Fields walked 35 times last year. The guy he's replacing career high for walks in a season is 34, and that was in a full year in 2004.

His career ISoD (OBP-BA) at the MLB level is .07 which is pretty close to his career minor league ISoD of .08.

voodoochile
02-07-2008, 04:27 PM

Love the part at the end where he talks about reporting early so he can be in the best shape possible.

munchman33
02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Lame.

Josh Fields walked 35 times last year. The guy he's replacing career high for walks in a season is 34, and that was in a full year in 2004.

His career ISoD (OBP-BA) at the MLB level is .07 which is pretty close to his career minor league ISoD of .08.

But Joe Crede's the best third basemen of our time and would be impossible to replace!

02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Josh Fields has a really good head on his shoulders. Maybe it is being around during the end of the steriods and witch hunt for players that made him question things. Maybe it is the things BMac (hope that still works) and Anderson did alot of off the field that Fields didn't like either.

Who knows. I think he wants to be the positive influence that those guys were not.

gogosox16
02-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm just glad that he stuck it out and now will be a huge part for the Sox this year.

batmanZoSo
02-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Maybe God will make sure he becomes the next Harmon Killebrew, since God cares about sports.

gogosox16
02-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Maybe God will make sure he becomes the next Harmon Killebrew, since God cares about sports.
I don't think anyone hear would be complaining

batmanZoSo
02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Anyone with his talent who'd consider walking away clearly isn't very materialistic. Does this mean he'll be really easy to sign once he becomes a free agent? I would use it against him--"come on, at least you're not doing missionary work, just take this 7 mil/7 year extension."

I think he'll be the premier power hitter on this team for the next several years. He's probably not cut out to be an ideal 3 hitter like Frank or Thome, but he can be a great 4 or 5 guy.

gogosox16
02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Anyone with his talent who'd consider walking away clearly isn't very materialistic. Does this mean he'll be really easy to sign once he becomes a free agent? I would use it against him--"come on, at least you're not doing missionary work, just take this 7 mil/7 year extension."

I think he'll be the premier power hitter on this team for the next several years. He's probably not cut out to be an ideal 3 hitter like Frank or Thome, but he can be a great 4 or 5 guy.
And he will be one in a couple of years if not sooner.

Huisj
02-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I agree that this is a complete non issue. My guess on the "influence the clubhouse" thing is that he would like to be able to be an example of quietly going about his business in a calm, honest, hard-working way. I can't see how that could cause chemistry problems.

ws05champs
02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I think it is good for the team to have a diverse range of personalities and beliefs. As much as we joke around about Crazy Karl, I think he was a good balance to the "three stooges" in 2005. It made the team more fun and interesting.

sullythered
02-07-2008, 08:30 PM
But Joe Crede's the best third basemen of our time and would be impossible to replace!

Yeah, so Josh is slightly better at taking walks than Joe. He's meh in the field, and has a damn good chance of setting the major league record for strikeouts. I'm not saying we absolutely shouldn't trade Joe, considering the contractual ramifications, but it will certainly be a downgrade at third if we do.

santo=dorf
02-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah, so Josh is slightly better at taking walks than Joe. He's meh in the field, and has a damn good chance of setting the major league record for strikeouts. I'm not saying we absolutely shouldn't trade Joe, considering the contractual ramifications, but it will certainly be a downgrade at third if we do.
Is there really any difference between Fields striking out and slow Joe grounding out to third or routinely popping up a ball to the shallow outfield?

The Thomenator
02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Josh Fields has a really good head on his shoulders. Maybe it is being around during the end of the steriods and witch hunt for players that made him question things. Maybe it is the things Fingernails on a blackboard (hope that still works) and Anderson did alot of off the field that Fields didn't like either.

Who knows. I think he wants to be the positive influence that those guys were not.

What is it that McCarthy and Anderson "did?"

sullythered
02-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Is there really any difference between Fields striking out and slow Joe grounding out to third or routinely popping up a ball to the shallow outfield?

No, not really. I'm just baffled when people here rationalize that the extremely large gap between the two defensively will be made up by some kind of big gap offensively. I just don't see it. Josh had a crappy batting average and a crappy on-base percentage. He hit some dingers, but he just wasn't much better with the bat than Crede has been. It is a downgrade, and I won't be convinced otherwise until I hear at least one reasonable argument why it isn't.

sox1970
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM

Anderson will be gone soon.

Huisj
02-07-2008, 08:49 PM
No, not really. I'm just baffled when people here rationalize that the extremely large gap between the two defensively will be made up by some kind of big gap offensively. I just don't see it. Josh had a crappy batting average and a crappy on-base percentage. He hit some dingers, but he just wasn't much better with the bat than Crede has been. It is a downgrade, and I won't be convinced otherwise until I hear at least one reasonable argument why it isn't.

Because it'll save $5 million so the Sox afford stars like Linebrink and Dotel!

Grzegorz
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Anderson will be gone soon.

I sure hope so... Save Chicago White Sox baseball; trade Brian Anderson!

WSox597
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM

Well, God's been pretty busy, what with Notre Dame and all.

Except for this year, tee hee.

chisox77
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Non issue here. Go Josh Fields! Go White Sox!

soxlady8
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
I have a friend of a friend who "dated" a pro athlete and some of the guys involved in that pro sport seem to party often and partake in physical activies that do not involve the heart rate going up at a gym. Josh Fields I believe is married and religious and he may have had issue with some of the guys partaking in those "activities". Anyhow, I believe Josh Fields had a great year last year and I hope to see him around for awhile.

RowanDye
02-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I have a friend of a friend who "dated" a pro athlete and some of the guys involved in that pro sport seem to party often and partake in physical activies that do not involve the heart rate going up at a gym. Josh Fields I believe is married and religious and he may have had issue with some of the guys partaking in those "activities". Anyhow, I believe Josh Fields had a great year last year and I hope to see him around for awhile.

Welcome to WSI! :smile:

I want to warn you though, starting posts with "I have a friend of a friend" might catch you a bit of flak around here.

As far as the story goes, I am not religious, but I think Josh Fields represents the best part of the future that the White Sox currently have on and off the field. <-that's a period

soxlady8
02-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Mod Edit: You can't post articles from official news sources. It is a copyright violation and can lead to the closure of this board. Please post links to the original articles.

gogosox16
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Welcome to WSI! :smile:

I want to warn you though, starting posts with "I have a friend of a friend" might catch you a bit of flak around here.

As far as the story goes, I am not religious, but I think Josh Fields represents the best part of the future that the White Sox currently have on and off the field. <-that's a period
I'm proud of you, you just passed 2nd grade english:smile:

soxlady8
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
flak for what ?

I read the article posted here and came to some conclusions.
I am a bit analytical in thinking.
Josh Fields may have had issues with some players ( not all )
partying etc. The friend of the friend (who is an acquaintance of mine) saw Brian A and Brandon M often hangin' out north of our "territory" pickin' up Lincoln Park Trixies.

I come here in peace and just want some good chatter!

sl8

schmitty9800
02-07-2008, 10:07 PM

Not to mention he was doing it in the context of trying to motivate some FCA people, he's not going to say "Oh yeah, my faith is easy as heck to maintain, you don't have to work at it at all".

Sockinchisox
02-07-2008, 10:49 PM
New article about this on MLB.com, Fields explains a good amount of his quotes, when he said stuff going on in the clubhouse he didn't mean partying, drinking, or swearing. He meant being tabbed a front-line player by the media or meeting celebrities, not his teammates or Guillen.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080207&content_id=2367700&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

FedEx227
02-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Again, Josh Fields did not play with either of them last year. So him "not liking what the worst people in the universe did" has no backing what-so-ever.

Jjav829
02-08-2008, 08:12 AM

I assume you are talking about playing with a Ouija board. That always gets the heart rate up. :yup:

OkStateSox
02-08-2008, 08:52 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectID=225&articleID=20080208_2_B3_hTheW21583
The "retraction" from the World. Stupid Sooner-based media just trying to stir up controversy about a former OSU athlete. Do you want to know where this same paper put the story of Barry Sanders winning the freaking Heisman Trophy? The second page of the sports section. This is Oklahoma and Barry couldn't even make the front page.

kittle42
02-08-2008, 09:06 AM
No one here has ever second-guessed their career choice?

I question his sanity.

SoxSpeed22
02-10-2008, 02:42 AM
If you never questioned what you do with your life, you're not living.

oeo
02-10-2008, 02:44 AM
I question his sanity.

Me too, but hey, it's his career.

Save McCuddy's
02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
No question -- sanity is in question.

One historical caveat I recall was the Gaetti conversion to Christianity that broke up the late 80's Twin clubhouse. He and Hrbeck were an off the field wrecking crew not unlike AJ, Rowand, Konerko and Crede in 2005 for several years before Gary traded himself to the God squad and disavowed the previous escapades of he and his heavy set chum. Christianity was bad medicine for that team and Gaetti personally as he began to add 300 foot flyballs to his regular strike out regimen. The Twinks passed on signing him in '91 and promptly won the WS again that year despite a rather pathetic platoon at third with Pagliarullo and Scott Leius.

Frontman
02-10-2008, 10:14 AM
I think this is a pretty minor issue. A man of faith finds that he could of walked away from the game because of the excessive nature of pro-athletes, but chose to stay so he could be a positive influence.

I commend him for it. Not everyone would want to be where they don't feel comfortable; but it seems like Josh wants to be a positive Christian.

gregory18n
02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
the Gaetti example is a good one. Fields upside is great right now & he may be able to be traded for a front line pitcher. Once a "Crusade" begins his worth will be gone, and the lockerroom comradery will be a mess. After the point he has made to make it an issue, chances are he cannot continue to quietly go about his business.

SteveFakeBlood
02-10-2008, 12:36 PM
No question -- sanity is in question.

One historical caveat I recall was the Gaetti conversion to Christianity that broke up the late 80's Twin clubhouse. He and Hrbeck were an off the field wrecking crew not unlike AJ, Rowand, Konerko and Crede in 2005 for several years before Gary traded himself to the God squad and disavowed the previous escapades of he and his heavy set chum. Christianity was bad medicine for that team and Gaetti personally as he began to add 300 foot flyballs to his regular strike out regimen. The Twinks passed on signing him in '91 and promptly won the WS again that year despite a rather pathetic platoon at third with Pagliarullo and Scott Leius.

Yes, but it was clearly the conversion and betrayal of his past clique that was a disruption. Seems like a non-issue with Fields. Also, everyone has different levels of tolerance of clubhouse behavior- he clearly has enough class to be very vague about it and hence it shouldn't alienate his teammates. The clubhouse chemistry was still good with Crazy Carl and Josh seems a lot less outspoken about his faith. I doubt he's going to walk around after games trying to save souls or anything.

~Steve

johnr1note
02-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I think this is a pretty minor issue. A man of faith finds that he could of walked away from the game because of the excessive nature of pro-athletes, but chose to stay so he could be a positive influence.

I commend him for it. Not everyone would want to be where they don't feel comfortable; but it seems like Josh wants to be a positive Christian.

I say its a non-issue. Who would have thought a young man who is a conservative Christian who spent his formative years in the bible belt in Oklahoma finding the experience of the bright lights and big city atmosphere of MLB and Chicago in particular was a bit of an adjustment? Unlike Giaetti, Fields is a kid, for heavens sake, who is handling this issue properly, in my opinion. I think some folks need to lay off.

DickAllen72
02-10-2008, 02:04 PM

Good post. You pretty much summed it up perfectly.

DickAllen72
02-10-2008, 02:06 PM
The clubhouse chemistry was still good with Crazy Carl and Josh seems a lot less outspoken about his faith.

The 2005 clubhouse chemistry was good largely because of Carl Everett.

DickAllen72
02-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I say its a non-issue. Who would have thought a young man who is a conservative Christian who spent his formative years in the bible belt in Oklahoma finding the experience of the bright lights and big city atmosphere of MLB and Chicago in particular was a bit of an adjustment? Unlike Giaetti, Fields is a kid, for heavens sake, who is handling this issue properly, in my opinion. I think some folks need to lay off.

Amen.