PDA

View Full Version : Hawk staying thru 2011 season

Bump34
02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Per Robert Feder's column in the Sun Times...

julio-cruz
02-06-2008, 09:27 AM
In the words of Darrin Jackson:"......uh oh!......." :o:

spawn
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Expect the moron to write a column blasting Jerry for this...

skottyj242
02-06-2008, 09:35 AM
I love the Hawk.

Fenway
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Per Robert Feder's column in the Sun Times...

"Hawk brings White Sox games to our fans in his unique manner," said Brooks Boyer

http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/778628,CST-FIN-feder06.article

I guess he has become the White Sox version of Phil Rizzuto

MeteorsSox4367
02-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I know opinion of Hawk is pretty divided on WSI, but I'm happy he's staying.

The two biggest reasons why I like Hawk are he doesn't have that "just got out of broadcasting school" voice and he wants the Sox to win as much as I do.

Now if we could do something about his TV partner...

Sad
02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
EXCELLENT :smile:

skottyj242
02-06-2008, 10:12 AM
I can't wait to see the Hawk's mug in HD this season.

areilly
02-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Sweet. Four more years of pearls like

:hawk

"You know, that .240 average these guys are hitting it, you can just throw that out. There is no reason this team can't win 16, 17 out of their next 18 games."

and

"What it is is that our Sox just keep finding ways to out-underachieve whoever they're playing."

and

"Baseball's that kind of game where you don't have to score more runs than the other team, you just have to find a way to win before they do."

Yay.

chisoxmike
02-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Excellent news.

:supernana::supernana::supernana:

I love Hawk.

GlassSox
02-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I like Hawk, he brings color to the broadcasts.

Railsplitter
02-06-2008, 10:29 AM
YESSSSSSSS!

:supernana:

TornLabrum
02-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info Willsy! Now all they have to do is pair him up with Steve Stone and find a way to get you into the radio booth!

WSox597
02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info Willsy! Now all they have to do is pair him up with Steve Stone and find a way to get you into the radio booth!

Now we're talking!

MsSoxVixen22
02-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Best news I've heard today! :bandance: I love Hawk and I'm glad he's sticking around. He definately makes watching the game entertaining!

jdm2662
02-06-2008, 10:56 AM

I'm all for that. Hawk was actually pretty good when paired with Stone. If he doesn't work with Stone, can't he do studio work, or just be a PR guy? I'm not sure I can handle another losing season with Hawk in the both. Watching the team is brutual enough.

Fenway
02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm all for that. Hawk was actually pretty good when paired with Stone. If he doesn't work with Stone, can't he do studio work, or just be a PR guy? I'm not sure I can handle another losing season with Hawk in the both. Watching the team is brutual enough.

Hawk was the best color man I ever heard....play by play is weak....

Still he is by far the best the White Sox have now....Farmer is brutal

the 2 color guys are what they are.....

spiffie
02-06-2008, 11:01 AM
:wooty::happyguy::nod::party::yup::thumbsup: :moonwalk:

I love the Hawk. He's a totally biased homer, and that's what I want out of my baseball home team announcers. Now if we could just get Stone in the booth with him full time it would be great.

goon
02-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Good news.

thegooch
02-06-2008, 11:09 AM
The Hawks act has worn thin with me. Make it stop.

itsnotrequired
02-06-2008, 11:14 AM

One, Hawk needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Hawks not onscreen, all the other broadcasters should be asking "Where's Hawk"? Three...

Dolanski
02-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Would you rather have a robot like Joe Buck?

Fenway
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM

Watched the Super Bowl telecast last night finally...

Why FOX thinks Joe Buck is in the same league as Curt Gowdy doing both the World series and Super Bowl escapes me.

Ed Goren and David Hill worship Joe Buck and those are the only 2 people that matter. ( and McCarver is signed through 2013 )

jdm2662
02-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Watched the Super Bowl telecast last night finally...

Why FOX thinks Joe Buck is in the same league as Curt Gowdy doing both the World series and Super Bowl escapes me.

Ed Goren and David Hill worship Joe Buck and those are the only 2 people that matter. ( and McCarver is signed through 2013 )

There are many cases where a son lives off their father's legacy.

KnightSox
02-06-2008, 11:36 AM
One, Hawk needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Hawks not onscreen, all the other broadcasters should be asking "Where's Hawk"? Three...:rolling:

ode to veeck
02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
"Hawk brings White Sox games to our fans in his unique manner," said Brooks Boyer

http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/778628,CST-FIN-feder06.article

I guess he has become the White Sox version of Phil Rizzuto

not even close, Hawk sucks

Fenway
02-06-2008, 11:41 AM
not even close, Hawk sucks

Rizzuto was a homer...left in the 7th inning to beat traffic....and sometimes didn't even know the score his final years.

thomas35forever
02-06-2008, 11:46 AM
"Yes!":smile:

jabrch
02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
I like that Hawk loves the team as much as I do.

I don't like that Hawk let's that passion get in the way of being objective sometimes to an excess. Every now and then, I don't mind it. But sometimes it is just too much.

Either way, Hawk and DJ are fine for TV. I don't really need much from broadcasters on TV. I can get what I need myself from watching the game.

CRAW
02-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Put THAT on the board! YES!!!

Love da Hawk!!!

SOXPHILE
02-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Rizzuto was a homer...left in the 7th inning to beat traffic....and sometimes didn't even know the score his final years.

Hey, sounds like someone else we all know and love-

:santo "Uhhh....Patrick....um..errr...now this guy...er...did he bat yet today ? Gosh darn it, I just can't remember. I must be nervous because I'm singing the 7th inning stretch".

rdwj
02-06-2008, 12:08 PM

I think the great majority like him. The haters are a VERY vocal minority.

More Hawk - YES!

kaufsox
02-06-2008, 12:08 PM
meh, I think Hawk is past the sell-by date, but whatever. If he gets on my nerves I can always listen to the... well maybe not

tstrike2000
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Great to have Hawk around for a while despite his consistant mentioning of his man love for Yastzremski.

thegooch
02-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Did I say I wanted Joe Buck? I'm fine with the King of the Man Crushes staying in STL. I'm just sick of the Hawk and his incessant catchphrases. His scathing voice takes away from my enjoyment of watching the games.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that others find him endearing. He just gets on my nerves.

HITMEN OF 77
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm glad he' staying around for a few more years. I think if the White Sox win the World Series before 2011 he will retire.

PKalltheway
02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Glad to see he's sticking around.
Hawk through 2011, yeeessss!!!:D:

FoulTerritory
02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
I am okay with Hawk except when he says things like "duck-fart" and calls people the "____meister"

Just silly.

spiffie
02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
One, Hawk needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Hawks not onscreen, all the other broadcasters should be asking "Where's Hawk"? Three...
http://www.mlive.com/cgi-bin/prxy/weblog_photos/nph-cache.cgi/cache=3000;/mtlogs/mlive_projectmayhem/images/poochie.jpg

Foulke You
02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm happy the Hawk is going to be around. To me, it isn't Summer until I hear the Hawkeroo's voice coming from the TV. However, I don't think Hawk will survive until 2011 if we have more seasons like 2007. I think the losing really took a toll on poor Hawk. I hope we hear far less "DADGUMMIT!" in '08 because that will mean we're playing better.:D:

JB98
02-06-2008, 02:43 PM

I don't like that Hawk let's that passion get in the way of being objective sometimes to an excess. Every now and then, I don't mind it. But sometimes it is just too much.

Either way, Hawk and DJ are fine for TV. I don't really need much from broadcasters on TV. I can get what I need myself from watching the game.

For the most part, I agree. Hawk is a polarizing figure, even for Sox fans.

At times, I love Hawk. Other times, he pisses me off. Namely, when we are winning, he is great. He gets just as excited about the Sox having success as I do, and his passion really comes through on the broadcast. I want our announcers to care about the team, because I care a great deal.

But when we are losing, he becomes an excuse-maker. I don't like that. I'm perfectly fine admitting the 2007 Sox just sucked. They sucked, and that's all there is to it. I don't want to hear about cold weather putting guys in "funks," or supposedly ****ty umpiring. We got beat fair and square last year, and it's OK for an announcer to say that. But it seems like Hawk blames failure on external factors far too often.

Sox83Kid
02-06-2008, 02:48 PM

A-men!:rolleyes:

santo=dorf
02-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Pretty hypocritical with you saying that. :o:

cards press box
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM

That scenario would be outstanding.

gogosox16
02-06-2008, 03:59 PM

More Hawk - YES!
The only thing I like about him is when he either says "he gone" or "you can put in on the board........YES!" Otherwise he talks about his time playing for the Redsox.

Lip Man 1
02-06-2008, 04:29 PM
JB:

I understand what you are saying but in fairness to Hawk, what is he supposed to do when they are playing lousy?

Do you think he's going to risk his job by coming down hard on the players, manager, G.M.?

It's not like it was with Harry and Jimmy. They were paid by the radio and or TV stations. They could do what they pleased (along with most other broadcasters in the 60's and 70's).

It's not like that anymore.

Lip

JB98
02-06-2008, 05:10 PM
JB:

I understand what you are saying but in fairness to Hawk, what is he supposed to do when they are playing lousy?

Do you think he's going to risk his job by coming down hard on the players, manager, G.M.?

It's not like it was with Harry and Jimmy. They were paid by the radio and or TV stations. They could do what they pleased (along with most other broadcasters in the 60's and 70's).

Lip

Lip, I have a hard time believing that Hawk doesn't enjoy tremendous job security. As long as he has been with the organization, I can't imagine him getting canned for saying, "The Sox stink this year."

I'm not necessarily saying that Hawk should rip Ozzie or the players for poor performances. I just don't want to hear about how the umpires have it in for us, or that the weather conditions are causing us to play poorly and such.

Over 162 games, sure, there are instances where the umps screw you. But Hawk seems to start in on that two or three times a week when we're going bad. And the weather is the same for both teams. The weather was crap for Game 2 of the 2005 World Series, and somehow, we managed to win that one. Who cares about the weather? These guys are pros. They should adjust to the conditions. I adjusted to the conditions when I played in high school, and I sucked at baseball. It's no excuse for these players, and I wish Hawk would not make excuses for them.

Roof Shot
02-06-2008, 05:48 PM

The two biggest reasons why I like Hawk are he doesn't have that "just got out of broadcasting school" voice and he wants the Sox to win as much as I do.

Now if we could do something about his TV partner...

Well said!

Jerome
02-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't like Hawk

I sure do miss John Rooney

we be jake
02-06-2008, 07:01 PM

I love the Hawk. He's a totally biased homer, and that's what I want out of my baseball home team announcers. Now if we could just get Stone in the booth with him full time it would be great.

I'm with ya on the Hawk part - that's what I want too. But as to the Stone part - the Cubs can have his nasal boring monotone back.

Fenway
02-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Lip

I think one should remember that the reason Hawk came to Chicago was he was fired by the Red Sox for being to critical.

He did the same in New York with the Yankees. JR took him back when he had no other place to go. I would stay loyal too.

kingpin_rcs
02-06-2008, 07:34 PM
From the Sun-Times:

Hawk Harrelson received a three-year extension from the Blackhawks to keep him in the White Sox television booth through at least the 2011 season.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/780058,hawkh020608.article

:?:

LongLiveFisk
02-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Glad Hawk is back! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the guy has his annoying moments sometimes but he's very passionate about the Sox and I enjoy listening to him.

Brian26
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
The only thing I like about him is when he either says "he gone" or "you can put in on the board........YES!" Otherwise he talks about his time playing for the Redsox.

On the contrary, I thoroughly enjoy listening to his war stories about playing days in KC and Boston, and I much rather listen to him talk about Sudden Sam McDowell or Catfish Hunter than the tired, forced catch phrases.

The difference is that Hawk played the game and can share a snapshot of that era to the viewer, even if it has the Harrelson flair because it is through his own eyes. Whether you like him or not, his experiences are genuine. Not every broadcaster can convey something like that, but any broadcaster can come up with a silly catch phrase.

I'm glad Hawk is staying around a bit longer.

RockJock07
02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm with ya on the Hawk part - that's what I want too. But as to the Stone part - the Cubs can have his nasal boring monotone back.

You start ok with that statement then just went downhill after that. If you've listen to steve Stone at you would know that he is a very smart baseball man, tells it like it is, and is even pretty funny. Do yourself a favor and really listen to what he has to say when he's doing sox home games friday nights, you might actually like it.

As for Hawk, sure he's a homer, but i really do believe that last year he wasn't cutting the guys slack at all. Yes, he blamed some of the games on umps and weather, and some of those games were lost by those factors but I enjoy hawk. DJ means well, but an upgrade is needed, even blackjack was very refreshing when he was teamed up with DJ last year.

the radio side is a disater, i can't hardle listen to those guys anymore. the pre and post game shows with Ranger are top notch but the game leave much to be desired, something needs to be done after this season.

chisox77
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Four more years of Hawk . . .YES!!!!!

I like the Hawk, his stories about the vaunted 1968 Cleveland Indians pitching staff, inside info on Frank Howard, the first time he used his golf gloves for better success in batting, stories about Yaz, Ted Williams, Dick Williams, Dick Howser (who gave him the nickname "Hawk"), how he likes the hospitality "spread" in Tampa Bay the most, his admiration of Lou Piniella, etc.

Hawk is interesting, even when the White Sox have a bad inning. Those long silent pauses are classic . . .

:cool:

TDog
02-06-2008, 10:16 PM

More Hawk - YES!

I think the great majority of Sox fans are indifferent to Harrelson in that just about any competent announcer would do. Homers generate greater passion from fans, especially from potential fans of potential visitors.

If I ever lived in a community where my cable system carried WGN (I haven't heard Harrelson since July 4, 2003), I would be disappointed that the Sox don't have a better announcer because they could do better. But it wouldn't be a huge deal, because I know they could do a lot worse.

gogosox16
02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Four more years of Hawk . . .YES!!!!!

I like the Hawk, his stories about the vaunted 1968 Cleveland Indians pitching staff, inside info on Frank Howard, the first time he used his golf gloves for better success in batting, stories about Yaz, Ted Williams, Dick Williams, Dick Howser (who gave him the nickname "Hawk"), how he likes the hospitality "spread" in Tampa Bay the most, his admiration of Lou Piniella, etc.

Hawk is interesting, even when the White Sox have a bad inning. Those long silent pauses are classic . . .

:cool:
Who doesn't like hearing about the same story from him for about a week straight:redneck

chisoxfanatic
02-06-2008, 10:43 PM

Me too. I love the fact that he really seems to relate to us fans well. Great news!

Noneck
02-07-2008, 12:31 AM
As long as my mute button on my tv remote doesn't crap out in the next 3 years, this news is tolerable.

Fenway
02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I looked at the Windsock's blog

His head exploded over this news

Sockinchisox
02-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Hawk is going to be on MLB Radio in like the next half hour to an hour.

FoulTerritory
02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I looked at the Windsock's blog

His head exploded over this news

Stay classy Marriotti.

itsnotrequired
02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Hawk is going to be on MLB Radio in like the next half hour to an hour.

You can catch his comments on today's BaseballChannel.TV Daily Audio podcast:

http://dds.mlb.com/2008/daily/020708_mlbr.mp3

ChiSoxPatF
02-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I know its the bias from having grown up with him as an announcer (I don't remember much before the Hawk & Wimpy days), but I am excited about the news.

I understand why people hate him, but having listened to him for so long it really is hard to imagine summer without the Hawk-a-roo. His catch phrases may be corny, and he may be an unabashed homer to a fault sometimes, but he is White Sox baseball.

There is something to be said about the emotion and passion for the game that can be conferred by an announcer like Hawk who isn't polished to a fault like many of these Broadcast School grads. If I turn on the game, don't know the score, I can tell instantly how the Sox have been doing in this game and, more than likely, how they have been playing over the last week by listening to Hawk's demeanor. You can't fake that and you can't buy that. Its fantastic.

More Hawk deserves some 'nanas :supernana::supernana::supernana:

Daver
02-07-2008, 06:50 PM
This news is underwhelming to put it mildly.

sullythered
02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Hawk can be a pretty rough listen when we're having a bad year, but I still like him. I say this primarily because there just isn't any personality left in baseball announcing. We get the broadcast school or the boring as hell former player who isn't willing to crack on anybody for anything. Hawk is a dying breed.

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
YYYYYEEEESSSS!!

Four more years! Four more years!

MarySwiss
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I think a team's announcers should be homers to some extent. At least Hawk and DJ do occasionally criticize the players and manager.

The only problem I've ever had with Hawk and DJ was when they slobbered all over Santana and--to a lesser extent--Sabathia. Geez, guys; let us believe that we have SOME chance to win the game, however remote.

Fenway
02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Some Yankees fans comment on both Hawk and the Windsock

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=109374

SOXPHILE
02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Some Yankees fans comment on both Hawk and the Windsock

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=109374

Hmmm...Yankee fans criticizing Hawk's announcing ? You can love him or hate him, but seriously, Yankee fans commenting on it ? Somewhere, I believe one Mr. Pot is calling one Mr. Kettle "black".

Lest we forget:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Suzyn_waldman.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Suzyn_waldman.jpg) "ROGAH CLEMENS IS IN GEOWGE'S BAWX ! OH MY...OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS ! OF AWWL THE EXCITING THINGS I'VE SEEN AT YANKEE STADIUM....."

(Don't forget her breaking down during Joe Torre's final press conference as a Yankee):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Suzyn_waldman.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Suzyn_waldman.jpg) "Our friend and yours.....-sniff-....this is tough......"

Corlose 15
02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Michael Kay's "seeya!" gets pretty old.

Not to mention Sterlings "The Yankees win!":puking:

The major reason why Hawk pisses off opposing fans is because his signature calls come at times when they're already pissed off the most.

"You can put it on the board, yes!" and "he gone" would piss me off too if it was happening to the Sox.

gamblinkenny
02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
I heart The Hawk. I feel like he is my 3rd grandfather. Also when Brian Gorman thew Marky B. out of that one game was great....hence the sig.

paciorek1983
02-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm glad Hawk is back for a few more years. :bandance:

My fear is his replacement.:o:

My fear is that they will replace him with Dan Schulman from espn. If that happened, I'd be a wreck!:whiner::whiner:

TornLabrum
02-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm glad Hawk is back for a few more years. :bandance:

My fear is his replacement.:o:

My fear is that they will replace him with Dan Schulman from espn. If that happened, I'd be a wreck!:whiner::whiner:

What? You don't like the extra syllables Dan Schulaman puts in words?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
As long as my mute button on my tv remote doesn't crap out in the next 3 years, this news is tolerable.

For years I routinely used the "mute" button to watch Sox games while listening to Rooney and Farmer. Now I don't even have that option.

Sure I'll listen to Hawk, but it's only because there is no better alternative. Until the Sox finally dump Farmer, we Sox Fans have no choice.

:mad:

Region Rat
02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Sit back, relax, and strap it down!!! Being stationed at Fort Hood, TX I miss hearing da hawk. I love the catch phrases, and for all the stupid **** he says, its fun to laugh at while havin some beers with the boys. Sphincter tightener?!?!?! ***?!?!? hahahaha

Cessna
02-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Everytime I see Hawk I'm reminded of his time as GM. What a dark period that was (seriously, Carlton Fisk in left field?). I'm just so glad he's our announcer and not our GM anymore. The best news would be to ship him to CLE or DET as their GM!!:smile:

paciorek1983
02-10-2008, 04:02 PM
What? You don't like the extra syllables Dan Schulaman puts in words?

Isn't it amazing how he does that? :gulp:
And a lot of people think he's a great announcer.:rolleyes:

grv1974
02-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Sit back, relax, and strap it down!!! Being stationed at Fort Hood, TX I miss hearing da hawk. I love the catch phrases, and for all the stupid s**t he says, its fun to laugh at while havin some beers with the boys. Sphincter tightener?!?!?! ***?!?!? hahahaha

Or when he says to D.J., "Your WHAT hurts?" LOL I still can't believe he says that on TV.

grv1974
02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Everytime I see Hawk I'm reminded of his time as GM. What a dark period that was (seriously, Carlton Fisk in left field?). I'm just so glad he's our announcer and not our GM anymore. The best news would be to ship him to CLE or DET as their GM!!:smile:

Ah, yes..........1986.

Noneck
02-10-2008, 07:22 PM
For years I routinely used the "mute" button to watch Sox games while listening to Rooney and Farmer. Now I don't even have that option.

Sure I'll listen to Hawk, but it's only because there is no better alternative. Until the Sox finally dump Farmer, we Sox Fans have no choice.

:mad:

I know, I did the same then after comcrap cable went digital my signal was delayed about 5 seconds so listening to the radio and watching the TV wasn't an option. I got used to just watching and not listening.

Save McCuddy's
02-11-2008, 10:03 AM

No kidding. It's a wonder you'd even let a man vend beer in your ballpark after a stint like that in the GM role -- much less let him be the face/voice of your franchise for the next 2 decades.

tick53
02-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Great to have Hawk around for a while despite his consistant mentioning of his man love for Yastzremski.

AND Al Kaline
AND Sudden Sam MacDowell
AND George Brett

BUT I guess if you have a colorless dullard of a colorman like Darrin Jackson sitting next to you, what else can you do? I really don't mind Hawk hanging around but launch DJ and give Hawk someone who actually has some personality. I suppose if you are loyal to The Chairman, you have a job for life though.

tick