PDA

View Full Version : Pirates actually pay someone..sign Freddy Sanchez for 2 +

Fenway
02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
It would be nice to see the Pirates be a factor again...it has been a long time

Second baseman Freddy Sanchez has agreed on an $11 million, two-year contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

It includes an option for 2010 that could make the deal worth about $19 million.

The contract allows the 2006 NL batting champion to avoid an arbitration hearing.

http://kdka.com/local/Pirates.Sanchez.contract.2.646406.html

gogosox16
02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
They will suck and have to trade his contract away by July.

soxfanreggie
02-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Looking at what the Pirates have, one signing better be the tip of the iceberg. It's like the Royals or Devil Rays going after one guy. The Devil Rays have talent out in the field, just need to sign some pitching. The Pirates and Royals...definitely need a lot more work.

California Sox
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
The Royals are moving in the right direction. For hopelessness, the Pirates are in a league of their own.

Frater Perdurabo
02-06-2008, 11:10 AM
The Royals are moving in the right direction. For hopelessness, the Pirates are in a league of their own.

Hope springs eternal in the despicably bad NL Central!

Jurr
02-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Living in Pittsburgh, I am constantly bombarded with radio guys bemoaning the entire Pirates organization. It seems like people have officially had enough. The fans are being compared to that of the Cubs, showing up for the giveaways and the beauty of the park. A lot of people are officially boycotting the team this year until better play is witnessed. Doubtful.

California Sox
02-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Hope springs eternal in the despicably bad NL Central!

Maybe but the Pirates have been poor/unlucky when it comes to the draft. (Daniel Moskos?) They make insane decisions like picking up the rest of Matt Morris' contract. When they trade veterans for prospects and one of those prospects hits (see Jason Bay) they seemingly cannot wait to hold a very public auction to get rid of him. I cannot imagine how depressing it would be to be a fan of a team like that.

Oh wait, yes I can. Aside from '77 that was my childhood.

TheVulture
02-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Living in Pittsburgh, I am constantly bombarded with radio guys bemoaning the entire Pirates organization. It seems like people have officially had enough.

I would hope so - obviously the Pirates are at an economic disadvantage, but to be this bad for this long requires a deep level of ineptitude.

batmanZoSo
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
The Steelers and Penguins never seem to have these problems.

fozzy
02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Looking at what the Pirates have, one signing better be the tip of the iceberg. It's like the Royals or Devil Rays going after one guy. The Devil Rays have talent out in the field, just need to sign some pitching. .

you do realize the ray's starting pitching is in much better shape then the sox's?

skottyj242
02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Living in Pittsburgh, I am constantly bombarded with radio guys bemoaning the entire Pirates organization. It seems like people have officially had enough. The fans are being compared to that of the Cubs, showing up for the giveaways and the beauty of the park. A lot of people are officially boycotting the team this year until better play is witnessed. Doubtful.

I didn't like the park as much as everyone else. People say it's the best park, I thought it was just a plain stadium with a great view of the city. Not to take anything away from the view which is the best in baseball but the park itself is just okay. The giveaways were awesome, we got a Pirates logo bobble head doll on Friday night and a commemorative plate on Saturday. The Sox actually won one of those games.

Dan Mega
02-06-2008, 12:32 PM
For what its worth the Royals are starting to hand out decent contracts. They got hammered for the Gil Meche contract and its turning out to not be that bad so far. I think they are really trying but they need to get that fan base back up to where it used to be.

Blueprint1
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
The Steelers and Penguins never seem to have these problems.

These are completely different leagues. The NFL could have a team anywhere and it would do fine. I seem to remember the Penguins having the same difficulty's until Crosby came along. The team almost moved out of town.

MUsoxfan
02-06-2008, 01:11 PM

Yeah, but their park is actually beautiful

soxfanreggie
02-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree with Blueprint. Crosby saved the franchise. The Pens might even have been bankrupt at one point.