PDA

View Full Version : AL Central picks from mlb.com article

chisoxmike
02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080204&content_id=2363926&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Sox picked for 4th place, no surprise.

This is one of the dumbest things ever written...

1) Still not satisfied with their pop as the season turns into May, not to mention the chance to put a little dent in the crosstown Cubs' hype, the White Sox will bring in free agent Sammy Sosa to occasionally spell DH Jim Thome.

soxfan21
02-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Im sure sox fans would welcome Sosa with open arms given the great reception he received last season when he came back to Chicago as a member of the Rangers. He is our only hope if Thome goes down due to injury, or just needs a break.

chisoxmike
02-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Im sure sox fans would welcome Sosa with open arms given the great reception he received last season when he came back to Chicago as a member of the Rangers. He is our only hope if Thome goes down due to injury, or just needs a break.

http://mountcope.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/cry.jpg

soxfan21
02-05-2008, 01:13 PM
http://mountcope.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/cry.jpg
I know, accidentally clicked on the wrong teal, it has now been fixed.

btrain929
02-05-2008, 01:18 PM

You sure about that?

DSpivack
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080204&content_id=2363926&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Sox picked for 4th place, no surprise.

A lame attempt at humor, as with the other two pieces to end the article.

btrain929
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Ahhhhhh, much better.

spawn
02-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Now it's turquoise.

soxfan21
02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Now it's turquoise.
When it is put in the quote box it is more of an off shade teal I guess, maybe more of a seaweed color to me.

skottyj242
02-05-2008, 02:13 PM
My eyes! I'm not supposed to get jigs in them.

gogosox16
02-05-2008, 02:13 PM
What place did they predict the Sox to finish in 2005? I'm pretty sure they predicted 4th also...this is why they play the games.

Flight #24
02-05-2008, 02:18 PM
What place did they predict the Sox to finish in 2005? I'm pretty sure they predicted 4th also...this is why they play the games.

Yes, every time from here on out that the Sox are predicted to be 4th is comparable to 2005!:bandance:

gogosox16
02-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes, every time from here on out that the Sox are predicted to be 4th is comparable to 2005!:bandance:
Then I like our chances every year from here on out.:bandance:

Corlose 15
02-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Did anyone read the other article on Contreras in the Spring Training preview? If he can focus this year and come back strong that'll go a long way towards the Sox competing.

CLR01
02-05-2008, 02:28 PM

Never forget what happened in 2005.

DumpJerry
02-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Hope this prevents accidents in the future:

:tealtutor:

gogosox16
02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Hope this prevents accidents in the future:

:tealtutor:
Everytime I try to use teal I always end up using the wrong one...I think I am color blind.

batmanZoSo
02-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Is this thread about baseball or colors? :rolleyes:

Teal might create more problems than it solves.

Anyway, MLB.com articles are generally weak and fluff. I think we'll finish third though at least. Ahead of Minnesota. I just don't see where their pitching is going to come from.

spawn
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Anyway, MLB.com articles are generally weak and fluff. I think we'll finish third though at least. Ahead of Minnesota. I just don't see where their pitching is going to come from.
That's the thing that amazes me, how people are already considering the Sox 4th in the Central. I can understand most sprots writers thinknig the Indians and Tigers will duke it out for supremacy in the division, but the Twins seem to have as many question marks if not more than the White Sox. Their ace pitcher was traded away, and they're counting on a guy coming back from Tommy john surgery to be the ace of the staff. The rest of their rotation doesn't scare anybody. Also, defensively they are weaker with the subtraction of Torii in CF. :dunno:

fquaye149
02-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Sure the Twins are as bad as the Sox. But they're not much worse in terms of question marks.

AND they were significantly better last year.

It's completely reasonable to pick them ahead of the Sox just as it's completely reasonable to pick the Sox ahead of them

batmanZoSo
02-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Sure the Twins are as bad as the Sox. But they're not much worse in terms of question marks.

It's completely reasonable to pick them ahead of the Sox just as it's completely reasonable to pick the Sox ahead of them

Yeah, I just think we'll be surprisingly competitive. I don't see playoffs happening but 80 something wins is possible.

fquaye149
02-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I just think we'll be surprisingly competitive. I don't see playoffs happening but 80 something wins is possible.

I personally think we'll finish third with more than 85 wins. But I can see how people would say I'm being unreasonably optimistic and I certainly don't think MLB.com is foolish for picking the Twins ahead of us

Tragg
02-05-2008, 03:41 PM

80 wins would be really disappointing -we dumped the best prospects, to field a team that can win 80. Nah, that would be really bad.
It may happen - but if it does, we should have made different moves.

batmanZoSo
02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
80 wins would be really disappointing -we dumped the best prospects, to field a team that can win 80. Nah, that would be really bad.

When I 80 something I mean over .500.

It'll be tough to win 90 with the competition. Fortunately we have no problem handling the Tigers. The Indians give us problems though as do to the Twins.

gogosox16
02-05-2008, 03:46 PM

It'll be tough to win 90 with the competition. Fortunately we have no problem handling the Tigers. The Indians give us problems though as do to the Twins.
Hopefully CC comes in camp overweight(even though he always is) and has oblique problems again like he has had before, and Fautino Carmona sucks and we keep dominating the Tigers....That would be nice.

Corlose 15
02-05-2008, 03:59 PM

The Twins won't give the Sox as much trouble now that Senor automatic win is out of the league.

If Contreras rebounds I think the Sox'll be right there.

batmanZoSo
02-05-2008, 04:05 PM
It's hard to predict this team I think. At least there's some talent that allows for variables.

I would set the median at like 82 wins with a +/- 5.

I'm excited to see what Fields can do in a full year, in his second year. Swisher too.

gf2020
02-05-2008, 04:21 PM

I really don't see how the Twins were THAT much better than us last season. In case you don't remember, they only won 79 games. They just lost their Cy Young caliber pitcher and their all star centerfielder. The Sox won 72 games and lost their third starter, but added a gold glove shortstop, an OBP machine in center and two veterans coming off of decent seasons in the pen. I don't see how that doesn't make up the seven games and then some.

I would say that Hunter and Johan are worth the seven games all by themselves without even considering the improvements we've made.

MCHSoxFan
02-05-2008, 04:42 PM
That's the thing that amazes me, how people are already considering the Sox 4th in the Central. I can understand most sprots writers thinknig the Indians and Tigers will duke it out for supremacy in the division, but the Twins seem to have as many question marks if not more than the White Sox. Their ace pitcher was traded away, and they're counting on a guy coming back from Tommy john surgery to be the ace of the staff. The rest of their rotation doesn't scare anybody. Also, defensively they are weaker with the subtraction of Torii in CF. :dunno:

That is exactly what I was going to say!!!

Now, I do not have to type it all out! :D:

MCHSoxFan
02-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I really don't see how the Twins were THAT much better than us last season. In case you don't remember, they only won 79 games. They just lost their Cy Young caliber pitcher and their all star centerfielder. The Sox won 72 games and lost their third starter, but added a gold glove shortstop, an OBP machine in center and two veterans coming off of decent seasons in the pen. I don't see how that doesn't make up the seven games and then some.

I would say that Hunter and Johan are worth the seven games all by themselves without even considering the improvements we've made.

Another outstanding point!!!

kaufsox
02-05-2008, 05:00 PM

a couple of other things w/r/t this: first, have the Twins made any significant additions? Second, wasn't/isn't there a lot of speculation that the Twins are looking to move Nathan? If that happens, there is no way they are better than the Sox.

Another key to the division, imo, is the lack of moves by Cleveland. Relying on Borowski(sp?) as the closer is quite a leap of faith on their part. Giving batters in "the best division in baseball", as everyone is calling it, another season to sort him out is not a good idea. Finally, last year may prove to be the exception rather than the rule as far as the Indians start. Under Wedge they have been rather slow starters. Last year the buzz in Cleveland was that if they got off to another slow start, Wedge was going to be fired. Will he have them ready, or fall back on to old habits? I think the Tigers will start quick, but if the Indians start slow, second place becomes a battle, and possibly the wild card. GOD I want baseball season to start

fquaye149
02-05-2008, 05:07 PM

7 games better=significantly better in my book.

Plus they were without Liriano, who comes back this year

Good grief. I didn't say that the Sox weren't better than the Twins this year. Actually, I said quite the opposite--that I expect the Sox to finish ahead of the Twins. But absolutely nothing in your post about the Sox additions OR the Twins subtractions shows any reason to be more than shrug-shrug about why the Sox are better than the Twins

oeo
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM

He lost any credibility he had at the beginning of the article with that comment.

white sox bill
02-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Not even a blip on the radar screen....we got 'em right where we want them!

chisoxmike
02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Not even a blip on the radar screen....we got 'em right where we want them!

JUST LIKE '05!!!!!!! :bandance:

Jjav829
02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Neither Young nor Cuddyer, but Carlos Gomez -- a huge talent -- will emerge as the Twins' new center fielder, immediately making all of Minnesota feel better about the Santana trade.

Way to go out on a limb. :rolleyes:

Who is this Carlos Gomez guy? It's not like he was the centerpiece of the Johan deal or anything...

SoxNation05
02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Way to go out on a limb. :rolleyes:

Who is this Carlos Gomez guy? It's not like he was the centerpiece of the Johan deal or anything...
Guerra was.

Jjav829
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Guerra was.

Whatever. Semantics. It's irrelevant to my point. Gomez is well known after the Johan deal.

RockJock07
02-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I think 2nd or 3rd is a real possiablity. I really believe that the twins could finish last this season, they really have nothing to speak of in terms of pitching. I mean they always seem to do more with less, but if they finish above the celler this year, then that just proves again how good MIN is at finding and managing talent.

As for the Sox, I think they could challenge cleveland for 2nd place. It's still so hard to predict thought, the rotation has to be solid, the bullpen and offense have been added to with big additions that It would surprise me if the Sox are the worst bullpen again or if they don't hit for the whole season.

SoxSpeed22
02-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I think Cleveland will challenge for best record again, Kobayashi should stabilize their pen and boost hot dog sales. Their lineup is about as tough as it gets, and if their starters stay healthy and they don't trade ****in' Sabathia, they should contend for the title again.
Detroit has their scary lineup, but their bullpen could keep them out of the playoffs and if ****in' Rogers can't hold up.
I think the Sox finish 3rd, they've made improvements and hopefully it leads to better things.
Minnesota lost their leader and their best player. ****in' Torii was their leader and I don't see ****in' Morneau or ****in' Mauer stepping up to do that. And there is a huge hole in center. ****in' Santana was probably the best pitcher in baseball over the last few years and they cannot replace him.
KC may surprise but probably not. If their starters step up, they could be spoilers.

thedudeabides
02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Nearly every prediction will have the Sox third or fourth. Not many writers put many thought into these things , and look at the previous years finish, therefore I will not get worked up about a guy trying to pick exactly where every team in MLB will finish.

russ99
02-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Here's my (early) picks:

1. Tigers. Unless they have a colossal pitching meltdown or a few top hitters get hurt, it's theirs for the taking. All bets are off in the playoffs though.

2. Sox. I'm convinced things will turn around. Depending on many factors (lead-off, how well Dye/Konerko bounce back, what we get for Crede and how the starters hold up) we're looking at anywhere from 82-92 wins.
We'll see about the wild card.

3. Indians. That choke-job vs. Boston has to hurt and it will affect their season. Plus, they didn't really add any new players this offseason, and when division winners stand pat and coast into following seasons, look out below. Not everything will go right for them this time (unlike last year), they'll have to deal with Sabathia contract distractions and and I still think their bullpen is subpar, especially at the top with Borowski

4. Royals. With the Twins firesale and lack of a top MLB 10 prospect in return for Santana, along with further development of KC's scrappy hitters and decent pitchers- this is the year they finally sneak into 4th place.

5. Twins. Lose Hunter, deal Santana and Garza and get one good player in Young, along with a bunch of Mets prospects who won't be a major factor this year and awful hitting ex-Astros and ex-Rays in return? Who knows if or when Liriano regains his dominant form... Looks like last place to me. Even moreso if Nathan doesn't re-up before opening day and is the next Twin out of town.

fquaye149
02-05-2008, 10:44 PM
:?:

Sox in second:

evidence?

--russ is certain we'll turn around
--the Sox could win 82-92 wins
--Cleveland losing in the playoffs last year will affect them all season
--Sabathia wants a new contract
--The Indians didn't add any new players and teams should do that!

TheVulture
02-06-2008, 12:40 PM

I don't get this frame of thinking - all the acquisitions KW made this offseason, other than Cabrera where no prospects were involved(and being a potential class A free agent, if prospects ever end up involved it is to the benefit of the sox), were made to get the sox good young players that will be around for years - Swisher, Quinten, Ramirez, etc. These were moves to make the sox more competitive this year AND in the future. And their cheap contracts will provide plenty of flexibility as well.