PDA

View Full Version : Who are the free agents for 09

soxlug
02-04-2008, 11:33 PM
White Sox will have a payroll of around 75 million next year with some players moving on. Contreras, Thome, Crede, uribe, Hall?, and Cabrera. Plus I calculated the increase in contract players but am probably off a bit. Now of course I think we may sign Orlando Cabrera and give Jenks a raise which will put us around 90. We will need another veteran starter and a DH. I could see the payroll staying around $110 million. Who do we open the wallets for? Anybody have any thoughts or a link to a list of free agents next year? I know we have season just about ready to finally get here but it is just an interesting topic to kick around.

getonbckthr
02-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I must have been sleeping, how did 08 go?

thomas35forever
02-05-2008, 12:09 AM
What did we need after the '08 season? Oh wait, it hasn't been played yet.

WhiteSox5187
02-05-2008, 12:19 AM
What did we need after the '08 season? Oh wait, it hasn't been played yet.
Exactly, we might be perfectly fine bringing back most of the guys we have signed up now...I have the feeling though if Thome moves on Dye becomes our DH and Quentin moves over to right with Owens/Swisher playing LF depending on Swish looks in CF.

BadBobbyJenks
02-05-2008, 12:43 AM
When do Pitchers and Catchers report?

oeo
02-05-2008, 01:47 AM
White Sox will have a payroll of around 75 million next year with some players moving on. Contreras, Thome, Crede, uribe, Hall?, and Cabrera. Plus I calculated the increase in contract players but am probably off a bit. Now of course I think we may sign Orlando Cabrera and give Jenks a raise which will put us around 90. We will need another veteran starter and a DH. I could see the payroll staying around $110 million. Who do we open the wallets for? Anybody have any thoughts or a link to a list of free agents next year? I know we have season just about ready to finally get here but it is just an interesting topic to kick around.

Contreras is still under contract for 2009.

Also, it's way too early for this talk.
1)We don't know what we're going to need next year.
2)We really don't know who will be out on the market. Vernon Wells and Ichiro were two guys that would have looked good in a Sox uniform...they didn't even make it to free agency.

soxlug
02-05-2008, 09:43 AM
First off if Contreras is under contract for next year that sucks. Also if I want to look at the current team isn't there another forum for that? 08 is going to be a fun year I am sure, and has been discussed a lot in another forum. I have seen some crazy hypothetical trades proposed and rumored on this board and the visitors discuss for whatever reason. I did not think discussing what the state of the Sox could be 365 days from now was all that far fetched. I was wrong.

Flight #24
02-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Based on this list (http://www.mlb4u.com/freeagency08.php), the "best" guys seem to be:

Position Players: Abreu, Bradley, Burrell, O.Cabrera, Crede, Delgado, Dunn, Erstad, Furcal, Giambi, Glaus, Vlady, Chipper Jones, Manny, Renteria, IRoid, Teixeira, Thome,
Pitchers: Burnett, Dempster, Garland, Randy Johnson, Lackey, Pedro, Mulder, Penny, CC Fatbathia, Ben Sheets, Randy Wolf.

That list tells me something: That what you can buy in FA nowadays is a former stud who's aging, an injury question mark, or an average/above average player. That's the "cream" of the list, and IMO there's 3-5 potential top-flight guys: Penny, CC, Lackey, Teixeira. Maybe throw Manny in there. Otherwise, it's a 900-year old Vlady/Pedro/Randy, an injury prone Crede/Burnett/Mulder or a solid #2 type of guy like Garland. And this is the list before anyone gets resigned or traded/resigned.

That also tells you that the market is going to continue to involve overpaying since the top FAs aren't really top-flight players. That makes it even more critical to develop a top-level farm because that either gives you your studs or the assets to trade for them. More and more it's validating that it's a smart move to pay the going rate for the best available talent in the draft. For example, $11M for a guy like Porcello with say a 30% chance at becoming an average or better player is not that different from spending the ~$50M+ to sign a guy like Ben Sheets or the $100M to sign a guy like Fatbathia.

pmck003
02-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Based on this list (http://www.mlb4u.com/freeagency08.php), the "best" guys seem to be:

That list tells me something: That what you can buy in FA nowadays is a former stud who's aging, an injury question mark, or an average/above average player. That's the "cream" of the list, and IMO there's 3-5 potential top-flight guys: Penny, CC, Lackey, Teixeira. Maybe throw Manny in there. Otherwise, it's a 900-year old Vlady/Pedro/Randy, an injury prone Crede/Burnett/Mulder or a solid #2 type of guy like Garland. And this is the list before anyone gets resigned or traded/resigned.

I know Vlady is significantly younger than Manny. I'd take Vlad over any other hitter on the list, mabye any other player if the Sox don't need pitching.