PDA

View Full Version : State of the Sox summary article from Yahoo Sports

Thigpen "57"
02-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Found this article on the Sox while browsing the Yahoo sports section.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ArgtCacYis.YS5oH1FKROQYEvLYF?slug=sports xchange-teamreports-2008-mlb-chw&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report

raven1
02-04-2008, 06:48 PM
The article doesn't list the author, but almost everything in it came directly from seminars/Q&A sessions at Soxfest last week. As such, it is a generally good summary but with the typical media tendency to try to create more of a controversy than there really is by putting a more negative slant on things than what was actually the case in the seminars.

To capture the real mood there, the story should have led with the upbeat additions of Swisher, Linebrink, etc. and used the now-tired storyline of the "missed" free agents & deals as backstory to eventually landing the players the team needed to fill the identified holes.

WhiteSox5187
02-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm really curious to see what this team can do...I like the bullpen and I have no fears about this team's ability to score runs. I would like to see another pitcher and I'd like to a legit leadoff guy moving Cabrera down to number two (where he thrives) and Swisher down to sixth (maybe even fifth?) to break up the Paulie, Thome and Dye relay race. Assuming Fields' hammie is 100% healthy it will be interesting to see whether or not he can run (he stole something like twenty bases a year down in Charlotte) or if he becomes just another power hitter. I'll also be curious to see what he can do a full year against major league pitching...he would not be the first rookie to fall apart after a good couple of months, but it is just as likely that he destroys AL pitching. Let's see.

raven1
02-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm really curious to see what this team can do...I like the bullpen and I have no fears about this team's ability to score runs. I would like to see another pitcher and I'd like to a legit leadoff guy moving Cabrera down to number two (where he thrives) and Swisher down to sixth (maybe even fifth?) to break up the Paulie, Thome and Dye relay race. Assuming Fields' hammie is 100% healthy it will be interesting to see whether or not he can run (he stole something like twenty bases a year down in Charlotte) or if he becomes just another power hitter. I'll also be curious to see what he can do a full year against major league pitching...he would not be the first rookie to fall apart after a good couple of months, but it is just as likely that he destroys AL pitching. Let's see.
The impression I got from KW's statements is that unless a really good deal presents itself before spring training they plan to give what they have a try (Contreras/Danks/Floyd in the rotation, Owens/Cabera/Ozuna leading off, Richar/Uribe/Ramirez compete for 2nd base). If any of these question marks don't work out I expect that he will make some agressive moves to fill any holes that appear.

I'm also very optimistic about Fields - anyone on the roster could potentially fall apart (look at last year), but he played long enough to go through the AL teams more than once and remained fairly consistent.

WhiteSox5187
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
The impression I got from KW's statements is that unless a really good deal presents itself before spring training they plan to give what they have a try (Contreras/Danks/Floyd in the rotation, Owens/Cabera/Ozuna leading off, Richar/Uribe/Ramirez compete for 2nd base). If any of these question marks don't work out I expect that he will make some agressive moves to fill any holes that appear.

I'm also very optimistic about Fields - anyone on the roster could potentially fall apart (look at last year), but he played long enough to go through the AL teams more than once and remained fairly consistent.
Out all the question marks you just mentioned, Fields is the least of my concerns, again, it will be interesting to see if he starts running well on the bases. I'd love to see him be a forty/twenty guy...****, even a thirty/twenty guy, but you don't see a lot of third basemen who steal bases.

ode to veeck
02-05-2008, 09:47 AM
:crede

"I'm not the vacuum cleaner at the hot corner to steal bases"

soxfanreggie
02-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I see where they talk about not being able to beat Detroit with our pitching, but I'm not so sure that it was just relief pitching we needed to upgrade. I still feel we are at least one starter short. Hopefully we can find a guy to take a flier on because if we did something like that and he panned out, it could really boost us!

rowand33
02-06-2008, 10:32 PM
3B Joe Crede (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6411/;_ylt=AukiNWggq8WnUjBksTDN1djurZJ4) was not in attendance for the club's annual SoxFest on Jan. 25, and the whispers around the organization still seem to point to the idea that if the third baseman shows up to camp and the back looks strong he will be gone by the middle of Cactus League play. The top suitor remains San Francisco, which might even have a deal in place with the Sox, contingent on Crede's recovery. A big reason why? Aaron Rowand (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6742/;_ylt=Ar24sjI3DCjtwNJ6hehumAvurZJ4). While talking to GM Ken Williams in his first free agent discussion with the club this offseason, the second question out of Rowand's mouth -- right after "That's all the years you can give me?" -- was about the future of his good friend Crede. Don't think for a second that Rowand isn't in the ear of Giants' brass, campaigning for Crede to come West and be locked up to a contract extension.

Aaron Rowand...

what can't he do?

Bring us Noah Lowry, Aaron!

batmanZoSo
02-06-2008, 10:34 PM

His K's went down and his OBP went up towards the end.