PDA

View Full Version : Nick Masset/Gavin Floyd question

JermaineDye05
02-04-2008, 04:21 PM
So both of these guys are out of options, so we can't send either of them back to the minors without them being claimed off waivers by some other team. So is there a way to hang onto both of them without keeping them both on the 25 man roster. I'm guessing Masset wins his way into the bp as a long relief guy, but I'd rather see him get more work in the minors as a starter.

munchman33
02-04-2008, 04:22 PM
There's always the chance they may not be claimed.

gogosox16
02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
You would just have to get lucky that no one claims him after spring training or whenever he gets sent to the minors. But I have a feeling some team will claim him.

JermaineDye05
02-04-2008, 04:24 PM

There's always that chance, but I highly doubt it. They're both in their mid 20's with a load of potential.

munchman33
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
There's always that chance, but I highly doubt it. They're both in their mid 20's with a load of potential.

Masset...yeah. Floyd, I don't know, his arm is definately not what it was three years ago.

gogosox16
02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Masset...yeah. Floyd, I don't know, his arm is definately not what it was three years ago.
So what your saying is that teams would rather have Masset than Floyd?:?: maybe I am misunderstanding your statement but I would rather take a chance with Gavin rather than Nick.

santo=dorf
02-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Don't you remember KW calling Floyd top of rotation Ace potential and 29 teams would love to have him? :rolleyes:

gogosox16
02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Don't you remember KW calling Floyd top of rotation Ace potential and 29 teams would love to have him? :rolleyes:
I believe so and that and that if available he would be a hot commodity out there right now....yeah maybe if he proves himself in the next 2-3 years.

munchman33
02-04-2008, 04:47 PM

Yep. And then I saw him pitch here and went ick. I didn't know his arm fell off.

gna2112
02-04-2008, 04:48 PM
There is no way that either Massett/Floyd are not with the club when they head north after spring training. KW is to hard headed to admit they were mistakes, I am not saying they are. I see huge potential for both, one will be our #5 starter and the other long relief/spot starter. Let's get back to developing young pitchers, i.e. the early 90's(Mcdowell/Fernandez/Alvarez/Bere) and see if they have the goods and if not KW start shopping. Our beloved Sox are going to win the WS this year, I have a great feeling going into this year.

David

munchman33
02-04-2008, 04:49 PM
So what your saying is that teams would rather have Masset than Floyd?:?: maybe I am misunderstanding your statement but I would rather take a chance with Gavin rather than Nick.

I think Masset's still young (maybe I'm wrong). Gavin's been around for so long that he's pretty much gonna be out of chances if he can't put it together.

JorgeFabregas
02-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I think Masset's still young (maybe I'm wrong). Gavin's been around for so long that he's pretty much gonna be out of chances if he can't put it together.
Floyd is younger than Masset.

munchman33
02-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Floyd is younger than Masset.

Yeah, but he's also had a lot more opportunity at this level to succeed and done nothing but fail. I'd be willing to bet someone would take a flier on Masset out of the pen.

gogosox16
02-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, but he's also had a lot more opportunity at this level to succeed and done nothing but fail. I'd be willing to bet someone would take a flier on Masset out of the pen.
possibly but it wouldn't be a contender, unless if they were absolutely desperate.

munchman33
02-04-2008, 05:09 PM
possibly but it wouldn't be a contender, unless if they were absolutely desperate.

bullpens are usually the last area contenders try to fill in. Great teams have the luxury of a good pen. It starts with rotation, then lineup/defense.

soxtalker
02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
KW has faced similar situations before. I suspect that most people on WSI didn't think that Borchard could be traded for anything. KW found a team with a similar problem and made a swap.

Flight #24
02-04-2008, 05:35 PM

To be fair, Kenny never mentioned what league those 29 teams were in.

gogosox16
02-04-2008, 05:43 PM
To be fair, Kenny never mentioned what league those 29 teams were in.
Japan minor leauge system (if they have one)

Chicken Dinner
02-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Masset will be package in with the Joe Crede deal. :D:

gogosox16
02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if that made the return that much better because you would be getting somewhat of a prospect and a player that can play great for you if healthy.

munchman33
02-04-2008, 06:30 PM

That's a good call...I could see that happening.