PDA

View Full Version : Singleton says "he is the man"

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 01:47 AM
I don't like the last line but this from the Trib:
Center switch: Aaron Rowand played center field for the second straight night in place of the struggling Chris Singleton, who is hitting .156 over his last 32 at-bats.

"I'd like to see what we have in him out there," manager Jerry Manuel said. "Give him a legitimate chance in the sense that when we have to evaluate, we don't make a mistake and say 'This guy can do this, he can do that, but he only did it in spring, or in April or in September.' You want to see him do it in August and July."

Manuel said he wants to get Rowand at-bats and is not necessarily benching Singleton in center. But if Rowand succeeds, he could have the inside track on center in 2002.

"He can handle being an adequate major league outfielder, but the determination of whether to stay in the major leagues is whether you hit," Manuel said. "If he is as productive as he was in the minor leagues, he has a good chance [at being the center fielder next year]."

Manuel said he spoke to Singleton about his decision to give Rowand some more playing time.

"Chris said, 'Do what you want to do, but I'm still the guy,'" Manuel said. "And that's fine."

Nellie_Fox
08-02-2001, 01:56 AM
Do you want a guy who doesn't believe he should be starting?

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:02 AM
Do you want a guy who doesn't believe he should be starting?

No what is going to happen is that Manuel is going to start playing Singleton more now. When a player starts bitching (not that I call what Chris said bitching) Manuel gives in and gives him playing time. Remember when Clayton and Canseco were talking about lack of playing time? The next day they were in the lineup. The fact of the matter is that Rowand is the future not Singleton. In a lost season you have to see what the young guys can do. We know what Singleton can do, I want to see what Rowand can do.

KempersRS
08-02-2001, 02:07 AM
When a player starts bitching (not that I call what Chris said bitching) Manuel gives in and gives him playing time. Remember when Clayton and Canseco were talking about lack of playing time? The next day they were in the lineup. The fact of the matter is that Rowand is the future not Singleton. In a lost season you have to see what the young guys can do. We know what Singleton can do, I want to see what Rowand can do.

Nothing upset me more than Manuel giving in like that, you probably remember my rants over that issue. The 2 things that have really sent me off into full rants and raves were Manuel giving in and the fact that we have guys like Singleton and Perry playing over Rowand and Crede. Singleton will play, thats just the way Jerry is.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:12 AM
Singleton will play, thats just the way Jerry is.

:jerry
Have to love that bunting!

And Kempers I thought you would get to 100 posts?

KempersRS
08-02-2001, 02:16 AM
Have to love that bunting!

Rowand can even bunt better than Singleton, I believe he had a nice bunt single tonight! There was probably a tear in Singleton's eye when he saw that.

And Kempers I thought you would get to 100 posts?

99! Quick, post something new for me to respond to!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:18 AM
99! Quick, post something new for me to respond to!

OK!
:kermit

Tragg
08-02-2001, 10:12 AM
I don't jump on singleton as much as alomar and clayton because a)he's cheap; b)we didn't actually trade for him recently.

While his D is satisfactory, his offense is in the clayton/alomar realm. As someone said above, he can't even bunt.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 11:59 AM
While his D is satisfactory, his offense is in the clayton/alomar realm. As someone said above, he can't even bunt.

I'm not trying to say kick him off the team, the point I was trying to make was that I don't like him hearing "do what you want but I'm still the man". No, I think we can all agree that we know exactly what Singleton brings to the table and that is a good glove and an ok bat. But what does Rowand bring? I want to see him out there pretty much every damn day, Rowand is the future and like Crede lets see what he can do.

ode to veeck
08-02-2001, 12:36 PM
:jerry

I learned to manage from watching Ray Meyer coach the Blue Demons, I just do whatever the last player told me to do.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 12:40 PM
I learned to manage from watching Ray Meyer coach the Blue Demons, I just do whatever the last player told me to do.

Then why don't you just let the players coach the team then?

Daver
08-02-2001, 07:14 PM
Better yet,let me manage the team.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 07:16 PM
Better yet,let me manage the team

I thought you wanted to fish?

Daver
08-02-2001, 07:22 PM
If they will pay me what they pay Jerry I could put it off until icefishing season.

I know a way to keep these guys hopping at practice too.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 07:24 PM
If they will pay me what they pay Jerry I could put it off until icefishing season.

I doubt they would daver.

I know a way to keep these guys hopping at practice too.

I don't think they allow guns on the field.

Daver
08-02-2001, 07:29 PM
I wasn't refering to a gun so there.

I was thinking of a wrist rocket sling shot.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 07:37 PM
I was thinking of a wrist rocket sling shot.

Oh I guess that would be ok.

:hitless
Don't be shooting that **** at me.

Daver
08-02-2001, 07:42 PM
Now how did Royce know he was the prime target?

Security check,there is a leak here,someone is leaking info,I wanna know who and I wanna know NOW.

IA_soxfan
08-02-2001, 07:44 PM
:moron
"I know nothing!"

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 07:45 PM
Security check,there is a leak here,someone is leaking info,I wanna know who and I wanna know NOW.

:clueless
Not me.

ode to veeck
08-03-2001, 02:16 AM
too bad they don't allow guns to the park anymore ... just kidding

there was supposed to have been a double header in chicago between the cubs and phillies in 1900 on the 4th of july and gun toting fans were firing them in the air all day long, totally indimidating the freaked out Phillies who lay down for two as the bullets whizzed by

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 05:17 PM
there was supposed to have been a double header in chicago between the cubs and phillies in 1900 on the 4th of july and gun toting fans were firing them in the air all day long, totally indimidating the freaked out Phillies who lay down for two as the bullets whizzed by

:moron
I was there and let me tell you it never happened.