PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Sox vs. 2007 Sox

soxfandy
02-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Just looking for some input when comparing the teams! Here is what I think:

Offensive lineup: This should do nothing but improve from last year. We have some pretty good hitters coming off of a pretty bad year in 07. We should definately score more runs with the pickups of some good OBP guys.

Defense: I believe we can have one of the best fielding infields in baseball...that is if we have konerko at first, uribe at second, cabrera at short, and crede at third. However this will not be the case...more than likely fields will be in there and possibly richar at 2b, so if thats the case I would say the infield defense is a bit improved in 08. As far as our OF goes it should be a little better with added depth in swisher and quentin..and we got rid of pods and his pathetic throwing arm in left so i consider that a huge plus!!

Pitching: I believe that Buehrle and Javier will both have better years in 08 (only a small improvement). I think Jose is on the downfall and will again disappoint...maybe possibly being taken out of the rotation. Danks and Floyd are young, learning on the fly, have the stuff...so i only hope for the best for them! Have to be realistic so I say we have the third best rotation in the central behind detroit and cleveland!

Bullpen: Again this BETTER be improved! I was excited about our bullpen going into 07 and became quickly disappointed. With the additions of veterans dotel and linebrink I believe this bullpen could be very good. Adding those two not only gives us experienced guys in the 7th and 8th innings but puts all of our young guys (wasserman, logan, etc.) in better situations and in earlier situations in the ballgame. And of course u have Bobby waiting in the 9th...and well here comes the BOOM!

Overall: This years team should be much improved over last years team. My major concerns are our leadoff hitter because we don't have one right now and I am also a little worried bout our starting pitching because we don't really have a ton of depth in pitching to offset any injuries or flat out suckiness of one of our 5 starters!! I'm very excited for the season and can't wait to get to the cell!!

Let me know what you guys think and GO SOX!!!!

Bob G
02-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Our offense should be better and I think the defense will be about the same assuming Fields is at third, Owens in center, Richar at second, and Swisher in left.

The starting pitching will not be as good with the loss of JG and Jose one year older.

Our bullpen is hopefully improved but it's hard to predict how relief pitchers will perform year to year.

I would say overall we're slightly improved over last year assuming KW does not make any further moves and no significant injuries occur before the season starts. We might win around 80 games but I'll wait and see what happens over the next two months.

SoxNation05
02-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Our offense should be better and I think the defense will be about the same assuming Fields is at third, Owens in center, Richar at second, and Swisher in left.

The starting pitching will not be as good with the loss of JG and Jose one year older.

Our bullpen is hopefully improved but it's hard to predict how relief pitchers will perform year to year.

I would say overall we're slightly improved over last year assuming KW does not make any further moves and no significant injuries occur before the season starts. We might win around 80 games but I'll wait and see what happens over the next two months.

Once Quentin is injury he will be in LF and Swish will be in CF. I also don't think Contreras will be any worse than last year so that is a plus. Our bullpen is surely better on account of we had one of the worst bullpens of all last year and we signed the two best non-closers on the market.

oeo
02-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Once Quentin is injury he will be in LF and Swish will be in CF.

Actually, Quentin is supposed to be ready to go right away. He will be competing for a job with Owens in Spring Training. Right now, unless we acquire a leadoff hitter, our best bet is Owens performing well and having him at the top of the lineup, rather than Quentin.

itsnotrequired
02-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I hate the Cubs too!

gogosox16
02-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Actually, Quentin is supposed to be ready to go right away. He will be competing for a job with Owens in Spring Training. Right now, unless we acquire a leadoff hitter, our best bet is Owens performing well and having him at the top of the lineup, rather than Quentin.
I have a feeling that Quentin and Owens are going to end up in a platoon role in which when Quentin plays, he's in left and Swisher in Center and when Owens plays, Owens in Center and Swisher in left

oeo
02-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I have a feeling that Quentin and Owens are going to end up in a platoon role in which when Quentin plays, he's in left and Swisher in Center and when Owens plays, Owens in Center and Swisher in left

I'm sure it probably will. This team has so much depth, it's going to be difficult for Ozzie to get everybody playing time.

There's also Ozuna there to lead off against tough lefties. If Ramirez has a good Spring, he'll be someone that will need some playing time.

I really like this offense that KW has assembled. :bandance:

JB98
02-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Offensively, I think we'll see a big step forward. Starting pitching will be weaker without the always-reliable Garland, but the bullpen will be deeper and more consistent.

Defensively, Cabrera is the best SS in the league, and he'll have to be if Fields is our 3B. Richar is decent, and hopefully he'll get better. He's not as good as Iguchi was, however. We won't be a great defensive team, but I think we can be middle-of-the-pack.

I just refuse to believe that 2008 will be a disaster like 2007. I don't expect a championship this year. I do expect a return to competitiveness.

areilly
02-03-2008, 03:22 PM
They cannot be worse than last year. Win-loss records be damned, I'm not sure anyone could.

chisox77
02-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I see it this way: the White Sox will surprise a lot of people. Besides, we have Nick Swisher. What could be better? (Other than adding another solid pitcher to the staff)

:cool:

areilly
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I see it this way: the White Sox will surprise a lot of people. Besides, we have Nick Swisher. What could be better? (Other than adding another solid pitcher to the staff)

:cool:

Is Swisher the new Rowand? Is that what this is?

chisoxfanatic
02-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Is Swisher the new Rowand? Is that what this is?

NOONE can replace Rowand! :wink:

Exactly how could this team be worse than last year? Last year was the worst year for me in my Sox fandom. The only thing that kept my sanity was knowing that I HAVE seen them win the World Series and that I celebrated like a rock star when they did so.

I believe they will be improved in EVERY facet of the game here.

diehardRLsoxfan
02-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Just looking for some input when comparing the teams! Here is what I think:

Offensive lineup: This should do nothing but improve from last year. We have some pretty good hitters coming off of a pretty bad year in 07. We should definately score more runs with the pickups of some good OBP guys.

Defense: I believe we can have one of the best fielding infields in baseball...that is if we have konerko at first, uribe at second, cabrera at short, and crede at third. However this will not be the case...more than likely fields will be in there and possibly richar at 2b, so if thats the case I would say the infield defense is a bit improved in 08. As far as our OF goes it should be a little better with added depth in swisher and quentin..and we got rid of pods and his pathetic throwing arm in left so i consider that a huge plus!!

Pitching: I believe that Buehrle and Javier will both have better years in 08 (only a small improvement). I think Jose is on the downfall and will again disappoint...maybe possibly being taken out of the rotation. Danks and Floyd are young, learning on the fly, have the stuff...so i only hope for the best for them! Have to be realistic so I say we have the third best rotation in the central behind detroit and cleveland!

Bullpen: Again this BETTER be improved! I was excited about our bullpen going into 07 and became quickly disappointed. With the additions of veterans dotel and linebrink I believe this bullpen could be very good. Adding those two not only gives us experienced guys in the 7th and 8th innings but puts all of our young guys (wasserman, logan, etc.) in better situations and in earlier situations in the ballgame. And of course u have Bobby waiting in the 9th...and well here comes the BOOM!

Overall: This years team should be much improved over last years team. My major concerns are our leadoff hitter because we don't have one right now and I am also a little worried bout our starting pitching because we don't really have a ton of depth in pitching to offset any injuries or flat out suckiness of one of our 5 starters!! I'm very excited for the season and can't wait to get to the cell!!

Let me know what you guys think and GO SOX!!!!

Offense: This is how i see our lineup if Crede is traded and no more moves are made before opening day.

Owens
Swisher (though it will probably be Cabrera)
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Fields
AJ
Cabrera
Richar

Regardless of how the lineup shapes up, we should be decidedly up and down the lineup. Cabrera may put up slightly better numbers than Uribe did last year:cool:. Swisher > anyone we had last year at his positions. The three biggest concerns I have are with Owens, Fields, and our main guys having bounce back years. IF Owens can get his OBP to at least 350 and IF Fields can cut down his strikeouts and raise his average by 15 to 20 points and IF big boppers can all have bounce back years then I believe that we will have one of the best offenses in the league! Yes I said it and I believe it! Of course the likelihood of all of those IFs coming true is about as likely Carrie Underwood calling me to ask me on a date because she thinks I'm such a stud.

Defense: Cabrera at short should make up for the downgrade that Fields will be at third. Our infield should be solid but not great. Our outfield will be about the same, Owens has great speed but doesn't get great reads. Dye catches what he gets to but he doesn't get to much anymore. Swisher is an unknown to me I'm not sure how his defense will be but overall I see our outfield being average as well.

Starting Pitching:

Buehrle- Solid ace of the staff.

Vasquez- Ace stuff who can dominate this year if he keeps his head on straight. I see him having a truly dominating year.

Contreras- Better than last year but not by much.

Danks- Improvement on his changeup could turn him into a solid number 4 for the left side.

Floyd- The wild card. If he has a solid year we have a good chance of squeaking into the playoffs.

I do not think that our rotation as it is now is good enough to make it to the playoffs. I hope I am wrong.

Bullpen: Can't get any worse, Dotel and Linebrink are great additions. Wasserman hopefully receives the final slot because I think that he earned it last year.

Overall: I really do think that with one or two more moves from the great KW to solidify our rotation that we have a legitimate shot at sneaking into the wild card. A lot of dominoes have to fall in to place, but it is definitely possible. Kudos to KW for again putting us in a position to be successful. The players need to validate him now! And here's to saying that they do!:gulp:

LITTLE NELL
02-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Offense and bullpen will be better, somehow we have to find 1 more starter to win the central. Once you win the division anything can happen and we just might win another WS. Without that starter we contend for 2nd place.

santo=dorf
02-03-2008, 06:55 PM
NOONE can replace Rowand! :wink:
Peter Noone?

itsnotrequired
02-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Peter Noone?

There's a kind of hush...all over the world...tonight...

soxfandy
02-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Offense: This is how i see our lineup if Crede is traded and no more moves are made before opening day.

Owens
Swisher (though it will probably be Cabrera)
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Fields
AJ
Cabrera
Richar

Regardless of how the lineup shapes up, we should be decidedly up and down the lineup. Cabrera may put up slightly better numbers than Uribe did last year:cool:. Swisher > anyone we had last year at his positions. The three biggest concerns I have are with Owens, Fields, and our main guys having bounce back years. IF Owens can get his OBP to at least 350 and IF Fields can cut down his strikeouts and raise his average by 15 to 20 points and IF big boppers can all have bounce back years then I believe that we will have one of the best offenses in the league! Yes I said it and I believe it! Of course the likelihood of all of those IFs coming true is about as likely Carrie Underwood calling me to ask me on a date because she thinks I'm such a stud.

Defense: Cabrera at short should make up for the downgrade that Fields will be at third. Our infield should be solid but not great. Our outfield will be about the same, Owens has great speed but doesn't get great reads. Dye catches what he gets to but he doesn't get to much anymore. Swisher is an unknown to me I'm not sure how his defense will be but overall I see our outfield being average as well.

Starting Pitching:

Buehrle- Solid ace of the staff.

Vasquez- Ace stuff who can dominate this year if he keeps his head on straight. I see him having a truly dominating year.

Contreras- Better than last year but not by much.

Danks- Improvement on his changeup could turn him into a solid number 4 for the left side.

Floyd- The wild card. If he has a solid year we have a good chance of squeaking into the playoffs.

I do not think that our rotation as it is now is good enough to make it to the playoffs. I hope I am wrong.

Bullpen: Can't get any worse, Dotel and Linebrink are great additions. Wasserman hopefully receives the final slot because I think that he earned it last year.

Overall: I really do think that with one or two more moves from the great KW to solidify our rotation that we have a legitimate shot at sneaking into the wild card. A lot of dominoes have to fall in to place, but it is definitely possible. Kudos to KW for again putting us in a position to be successful. The players need to validate him now! And here's to saying that they do!:gulp:

Well if thats all we need for those things to happen is for Underwood to give u a call...then i say it is gonna happen. Cuz i think Underwood will come to senses and realize the stud that u are!!

But other than that I look forward to one more big move...and i see it from either crede or konerko being moved....hopefully for a quality starting pitcher if crede is traded and hopefully a possible leadoff hitter for crede because i do want to see what quentin can give us as an everyday hitter. Come on KW i honestly think we are about 1 or 2 moves away from being very competitive!!