PDA

View Full Version : New Outfield Statue

Rockabilly
02-02-2008, 01:23 PM
This is from Reifert's latest blog:

"On Friday, I travelled to Highwood with a former player and his wife to check out the newest sculpture. It is always unnerving to see yourself in clay (so I'm told), and it was fun to watch his and her reaction. As emails of the sculpture were sent out to children, the couple laughed at the positive responses. Unveiling is tentatively scheduled for July 20 for this year's addition to the outfield walk of fame."

Any guess who it might be

Sockinchisox
02-02-2008, 01:25 PM

"On Friday, I travelled to Highwood with a former player and his wife to check out the newest sculpture. It is always unnerving to see yourself in clay (so I'm told), and it was fun to watch his and her reaction. As emails of the sculpture were sent out to children, the couple laughed at the positive responses. Unveiling is tentatively scheduled for July 20 for this year's addition to the outfield walk of fame."

Andy Gonzalez

Brian26
02-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Billy Pierce

TheOldRoman
02-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Billy Pierce
His went up last year.

PalehosePlanet
02-02-2008, 01:35 PM

Sheeesh...I was hoping it would be Luke Appling. Obviously it's not him since he passed away back in '91.

I don't know why we keep blowing off all of our HOF'ers who have passed away (Appling, Collins, Walsh, Lyons, Faber, etc...)

sox1970
02-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Please don't tell me it's Hawk...

...former Sox player?

PalehosePlanet
02-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Wilbur Wood?

Brian26
02-02-2008, 01:39 PM
His went up last year.

Ah, good call. I forgot about that, and I even went to the game that happened.

The Thomenator
Harold Baines?

TheOldRoman
Sheeesh...I was hoping it would be Luke Appling. Obviously it's not him since he passed away back in '91.

I don't know why we keep blowing off all of our HOF'ers who have passed away (Appling, Collins, Walsh, Lyons, Faber, etc...)Well, they will get theirs, but it doesn't really matter when they go up because they have already passed away. Maybe they are concentrating on statues of older guys now to make sure they are there to see it?

I guess the only living player without a statues who has a retired number is Harold. Maybe it is him, but that doesn't fit with the "giving it to older guys" thing.

sox1970
Harold?

Brian26
02-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Someone once said that they were going to do a statue for every retired number on the outfield wall.

Statues so far: Fisk, Minoso, Charles Comiskey, Fox & Aparacio, Pierce.

Retired Numbers: Fox, Baines, Appling, Minoso, Aparacio, Lyons, Pierce and Fisk.

The only living player left would be Baines I guess.

oeo
02-02-2008, 01:42 PM

I don't know why we keep blowing off all of our HOF'ers who have passed away (Appling, Collins, Walsh, Lyons, Faber, etc...)

Maybe they're trying to get the guys that are still alive so they can see them. :dunno:

Why does it have to mean they're blowing someone off?

PalehosePlanet
02-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Maybe they're trying to get the guys that are still alive so they can see them. :dunno:

Why does it have to mean they're blowing someone off?

I don't think Carlton Fisk is dieing any time soon, do you? He didn't even go in as a White Sox.

Also I'm sure there are people growing old in the respective families of the players I mentioned that would love to see their family member immortalized before they themselves pass away.

So long as they do eventually get to them, I guess I'm okay with it.

oeo
02-02-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't think Carlton Fisk is dieing any time soon, do you? He didn't even go in as a White Sox.

I have no idea when Fisk is going to die. That's the point in letting them see the statue before they do die. Anything can happen...:dunno:

DumpJerry
02-02-2008, 02:08 PM
We're playing the Royals that day.

It's George Brett's brother.

chisox77
02-02-2008, 03:23 PM
It's Bo Jackson (maybe even Robin Ventura).

:cool:

Lip Man 1
02-02-2008, 03:56 PM
This is probably a long shot but I have been given advanced information that sometime this summer, the Chicago Baseball Museum is planning on having a big fund raising get together.

The projected "theme" of the fund raiser is this: "How Dick Allen Saved The White Sox Franchise..."

Supposedly this will be held at U.S. Cellular Field in conjunction with the White Sox. Allen has been contacted and they are planning on having Roland Hemond, Chuck Tanner and Tommy John there. They are also trying to possibly get some of his teammates who live in the Chicago-area there as well, guys like Bill Melton, Bart Johnson, Carlos May ect.

Could the statue be of Allen?

Lip

Bucky F. Dent
02-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Harold Baines?

That's my guess. Him or Alan Bannister.

doublem23
02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
It has to be DLS.

jabrch
02-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Must be Aaron Rowand.

Brian26
02-02-2008, 05:21 PM
That's my guess. Him or Alan Bannister.

:rolling:

Awesome

chisoxfanatic
02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Ross Gload? :redneck

batmanZoSo
02-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Someone once said that they were going to do a statue for every retired number on the outfield wall.

Statues so far: Fisk, Minoso, Charles Comiskey, Fox & Aparacio, Pierce.

Retired Numbers: Fox, Baines, Appling, Minoso, Aparacio, Lyons, Pierce and Fisk.

The only living player left would be Baines I guess.

Baines would be a little much.

eriqjaffe
02-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm betting it's Harold, although if it is Dick Allen, I hope it's based on this photo:

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1972/0612_large.jpg

Brian26
02-02-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm betting it's Harold, although if it is Dick Allen, I hope it's based on this photo:

Geezuz, that would be sensational.

batmanZoSo
02-02-2008, 09:37 PM

Hell yeah. That's one of the best photos in Sox history. Top 5.

Even though he wasn't like Mr. White Sox career wise, he really personifies that era.

The only problem is how do you float a bronze baseball? Little wire supports?

nut_stock
02-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Question,

With no disrespect to Harold who was a great player, unfortunately I didn't get to see him play very often for the Sox....Is he really in the same caliber as the guys who currently have statues plus our HOF's that have passed??

I don't want to make people mad but Harold is probably a long shot to make the hall, I know he's important to us Sox fans but....

Maybe I'm wrong...

I'm sure we'll all agree Frank Thomas is deserving but it seems that it would be best for the Sox to wait until he retires.

BeefyD
02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I think its Jerry Dybzinski for sure.

Gavin
02-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm sure we'll all agree Frank Thomas is deserving but it seems that it would be best for the Sox to wait until he retires.

yep

Brian26
02-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Question,

With no disrespect to Harold who was a great player, unfortunately I didn't get to see him play very often for the Sox....Is he really in the same caliber as the guys who currently have statues plus our HOF's that have passed??

Sure he is. The Sox don't have a long history of Hall of Fame caliber guys like the Yankees or Dodgers, but Harold's career was nothing to sneeze at. He finished an eyelash from 3000 hits, close to 400 HRs, 1600+ rbi, career .285 hitter, 20 productive seasons...

MinnySoxFan
02-03-2008, 07:03 AM
I want it to be robin...

Pete Ward
02-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Those were great uniforms... and a special time as the team turned around

:D:

doogiec
02-03-2008, 08:30 AM
It has to be Harold. As dominant and important to Sox history as Allen's MVP season was, no position player who was only here for three years (348 games total) deserves a statue or retired number. Save it for the players who play a significant portion of their career here. Last time I was in Philly, I didn't see a statue of Allen there either, he played eight seasons there, including some great ones.

I also completely agree with honoring the living players first, regardless of age. Nellie Fox never got to see his number retired by the Sox, he missed it by a few months. Don't assume anything with an honor like this. Its too important.

soxwon
02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
reinsdorf

bigfoot
02-03-2008, 11:07 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:e3iCUcA53FDkQM:http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/chisox/gamblecws.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/chisox/gamblecws.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2008/01/22/d-is-for-disorganized/&h=250&w=175&sz=9&hl=en&start=33&tbnid=e3iCUcA53FDkQM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=78&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2B1977%2Bmlb%2Bcards%2Bgamble%26star t%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN)

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
02-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Mariotti

So it literally will be a bronzed pile of dog excrement?

TheVulture
02-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Question,

I don't know how you compare Harold to Nellie Fox. All I know is, Harold was easily the most popular Sox player I've ever seen, going back to about 1981 as a fan. More popular even than Fisk, Thomas, Ventura, etc.

ChiSoxGirl
02-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I want it to be robin...

OMG, so do I! He so deserves it!

eriqjaffe
02-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Another thought of a deserving person would be Bill Veeck. Not only is he responsible for easily the most definable feature of Comiskey Park (do I need to say what that is?), he also basically kept the Sox from moving to Seattle in, what, 1975?

Lip Man 1
02-03-2008, 09:32 PM
According to Scott Reifert's blog, it has to be a LIVING player. Reifert states that he went to see the work on the statue along with the player AND his wife.

Lip

soxwon
02-03-2008, 11:19 PM
jose canseco

C-Dawg
02-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Wilbur Wood?

There was a pic posted here last week of Wilbur at the All Star Game in Atlanta that would look great in bronze!

:bandance:

Viva Medias B's
02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Maybe it could be Frank, or would he not qualify (yet)?

russ99
02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
This is probably a long shot but I have been given advanced information that sometime this summer, the Chicago Baseball Museum is planning on having a big fund raising get together.

The projected "theme" of the fund raiser is this: "How Dick Allen Saved The White Sox Franchise..."

Supposedly this will be held at U.S. Cellular Field in conjunction with the White Sox. Allen has been contacted and they are planning on having Roland Hemond, Chuck Tanner and Tommy John there. They are also trying to possibly get some of his teammates who live in the Chicago-area there as well, guys like Bill Melton, Bart Johnson, Carlos May ect.

Could the statue be of Allen?

Lip

That would be super-sweet. Allen with a giant 'fro, with a cig in his mouth, and a bat in one hand and maybe holding a taco in the other?? :tongue: Or is the taco stand story just an urban legend?

How about fellow early 70's basher, Bill Melton?

Frank will get his and a retired number after he hangs 'em up. Jerry won't make the Harold mistake again.

A Baines statue makes the most sense, though.

gobears1987
02-04-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm going with Baines.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Russ:

Ed Herrmann confirmed the Taco Game story for me when I interviewed him for WSI. Melton has also supposedly told folks the same thing.

Lip

the1tab
02-04-2008, 11:35 AM
The statue might be a full speed depiction of Paulie running to first... clay vs Paulie in a footrace? my money's on the clay!

What about Frank Thomas? I know he's still active... but his numbers are there, and if someone somewhere got the idea this was going to be the Hurt's farewell tour...

wulfy
02-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Kitty

Frater Perdurabo
02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Aaron Rowand deserves not just one statue, but three: one for his hitting, one for his fielding, and one for his grindy-ness and clubhouse leadership!

PaleHoser
02-04-2008, 03:57 PM
They can't use that shot of Dick Allen. Isn't the concourse a non-smoking area?

It has to be Harold. If they consider honoring anyone else from the mid-late 80's it would be redundant since most of those guys played like statues anyway. Our Sox didn't have more than 5-6 legitimate major league players on the roster from 86-89.

Here's two guesses out of left field: Herm Schneider or Nancy Faust?

hi im skot
02-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Here's two guesses out of left field: Herm Schneider or Nancy Faust?

I would pay money to see a Herm Schneider statue.

#1swisher
02-04-2008, 05:20 PM
bill melton

IlliniSox4Life
02-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Nancy Faust or Bill Veeck would be great choices, but the article says it was a player. Thomas is the player I would give it to first, but he's still playing. I think they would wait until he retired.

My money would be on Baines, but I really don't know.

slavko
02-04-2008, 11:11 PM
The statue might be a full speed depiction of Paulie running to first... clay vs Paulie in a footrace? my money's on the clay!

What about Frank Thomas? I know he's still active... but his numbers are there, and if someone somewhere got the idea this was going to be the Hurt's farewell tour...

I was thinking of Carlos Lee, but the statue would have to be in the field of play, not on the concourse.

beasly213
02-05-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm going with Hawk.

skottyj242
02-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Nick Swisher.

FedEx227
02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
I would pay money to see a Herm Schneider statue.

Who we he be hugging?

TDog
02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Another thought of a deserving person would be Bill Veeck. Not only is he responsible for easily the most definable feature of Comiskey Park (do I need to say what that is?), he also basically kept the Sox from moving to Seattle in, what, 1975?

What are the chances that the current ownership would honor Bill Veeck with a statue? The question isn't meant to reflect negatively on the current ownership. I wouldn't honor Bill Veeck with a statue.

When Bill Veeck sold the Sox, he didn't much care if they stayed in Chicago. At the end, he didn't even go to Comiskey anymore, but preferred to hang out in the Wrigley Field bleachers, reminding people that as a child, he planted the ivy that adorned the outfield walls of the shrine.

From the clues, it has to be a living, former player who has a wife. Harold Baines is both deserving and would qualify. A statue might remind some people who know only basesball greatness from reading numbers in books that this was a great, Hall-of-Fame-induction-deserving player. He has a wife.

Richard Anthony Allen came to Chicago 26 years ago, had an incredible season after refusing to play before signing to a salary more than double what any other player in the the franchise history had been paid to date, got his own television talk show on Channel 44, but disappeared after he was injured. In his comeback season, he gave up on the team. I'm not even sure if he currently has a wife.

That was a great season, though. For me, 1972 was more fun than 1977.

jackbrohamer
02-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Maybe, as 25-year anniversary tribute to the 1983 playoffs, it's a statue of Greg Luzinski with his bat stuck to his shoulder?

SaltyPretzel
02-05-2008, 11:27 AM
What are the chances that the current ownership would honor Bill Veeck with a statue? The question isn't meant to reflect negatively on the current ownership. I wouldn't honor Bill Veeck with a statue.

That was a great season, though. For me, 1972 was more fun than 1977.

I think his wife received a World Series ring.

skottyj242
02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I think his wife received a World Series ring.

Well Gene Honda didn't get a ring so maybe it's a statue of him?

D. TODD
02-05-2008, 11:40 AM
LaMar Hoyt with the infamous taco laying on his stomach in the clubhouse the morning after they clinched in '83.

alohafri
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Dan Pasqua standing at the door waiting for his UPS delivery?

Lip Man 1
02-05-2008, 12:12 PM
T-Dog:

If you read my interview with Mike Veeck for WSI, you know the feelings between the Veeck family and current ownership (particularly Eddie Einhorn) runs very deep.

I can't see a statue to Bill at this time but I can see one in the future.

Lip