PDA

View Full Version : Malone versus Prior II

Vsahajpal
04-22-2002, 04:05 AM
Round 2 in Jackson, Tennessee

I get to endure, err, enjoy more Jason Bere. Yay!

:whiner:

just call him up

http://miva.jacksonsun.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?SPORTS/sports_story.mv+link=200204223677264

Prior will be matched opposite Barons right-hander Corwin Malone, the Chicago White Sox's No. 3 prospect. Malone is 1-1 with a 4.40 ERA.

Mathew
04-22-2002, 04:18 AM
For the uneducated, who is the 1 and 2 prospects?

Vsahajpal
04-22-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Mathew
For the uneducated, who is the 1 and 2 prospects?

http://www.baseballpix.com/players/b/borchard2.jpg

http://www.baseballpix.com/players/r/rauch3.jpg

Vsahajpal
04-22-2002, 05:02 AM
lol!

Pitchers make strange faces when they release the curveball

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/usc/galleries/cws-060901/a-prior-060901-lg.jpg

voodoochile
04-22-2002, 01:33 PM
Is that Honel? I did recognize Borchard.

Randar68
04-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

VS's picture is Mark Prior.

Let's hope Malone settles down a bit. I think maybe being with the big club for spring training may have cost him a little confidence.

Honel, Allen, Wing, Cszado, West have all pitched pretty well so far, good to see. Bittner and Bullard haven't been too bad either. Overall, not a terribile start to the minor League season, but not too bad!

If Malone and Ulacia can settle down and get back to 2001 form, I'll be very happy!

doublem23
04-22-2002, 02:19 PM

In Vic's first post, the pitcher is :rauch

Randar68
04-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

In Vic's first post, the pitcher is :rauch

The pic is also a bit old. That pic is from when Jon playe4d for the Bristol Sox, the team's Short Season Appalacian League Affiliate (high Rookie ball)

Vsahajpal
04-22-2002, 02:25 PM

Jon Rauch

voodoochile
04-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Thanks everybody... Why is Rauch still listed as a prospect?

Randar68
04-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Thanks everybody... Why is Rauch still listed as a prospect?

He won't be next year, but he was for this pre-season because he had yet to play in the majors. VS was referencing the Baseball America list that had Borchard, Rauch, Malone, as our top 3 prospects respectively...

Vsahajpal
04-22-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

VS's picture is Mark Prior.

Let's hope Malone settles down a bit. I think maybe being with the big club for spring training may have cost him a little confidence.

Honel, Allen, Wing, Cszado, West have all pitched pretty well so far, good to see. Bittner and Bullard haven't been too bad either. Overall, not a terribile start to the minor League season, but not too bad!

If Malone and Ulacia can settle down and get back to 2001 form, I'll be very happy!

Ulacia was impressive for 7 innings the other night, and was probably spent when Kelton hit that 3-run HR in the 8th. West was very solid last night, doesn't waste many pitches at all.

But Allen has been lights out. Think he'll see Birmingham before the All-Star Break?

Randar68
04-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Ulacia was impressive for 7 innings the other night, and was probably spent when Kelton hit that 3-run HR in the 8th. West was very solid last night, doesn't waste many pitches at all.

But Allen has been lights out. Think he'll see Birmingham before the All-Star Break?

1) I think Allen will be in the Birmingham rotation by mid-June. He needs to get his K:BB ratio up a bit, but otherwise has been impressive.
2) When Honel settles down, he is going to move up pretty quickly. Despite his 4.50 ERA, he has only given up 3 walks and 20 K's in 14 innings
3) Ryan Wing has been extremely impressive for a guy who had never spent much time on the mound prior to last year.
4) Ulacia does appear to be settling in. Yes, his last outing he did appear to be tiring late in the game, because he flat-out dominated the first 7+ innings.

Down side:
1) Arnie Munoz has been overmatched in AA so far
2) Majewski as a reliever
3) Injuries to Borchard and Rogowski (I was really looking forward to a huge year from Casey)
4) Olivo's anemic bat. He needs to get swinging
5) Yan has been the bust I predicted, and so far has shown he clearly can't handle SS
6) Starting Andy Gonzalez in Short-season. Some say it would have been too big a jump to go straight to low A, and it may be, but I thought he looked good enough at the plate to start at Kannapolis.

Anything you care to add?

Chisox_cali
04-22-2002, 03:51 PM
Vic or Randar....

Who do you think, if anybody, will get a call up the big club this year that isnt Harris, Hummel, Borchard, or Crede?

Vsahajpal
04-22-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

1) I think Allen will be in the Birmingham rotation by mid-June. He needs to get his K:BB ratio up a bit, but otherwise has been impressive.
2) When Honel settles down, he is going to move up pretty quickly. Despite his 4.50 ERA, he has only given up 3 walks and 20 K's in 14 innings
3) Ryan Wing has been extremely impressive for a guy who had never spent much time on the mound prior to last year.
4) Ulacia does appear to be settling in. Yes, his last outing he did appear to be tiring late in the game, because he flat-out dominated the first 7+ innings.

Down side:
1) Arnie Munoz has been overmatched in AA so far
2) Majewski as a reliever
3) Injuries to Borchard and Rogowski (I was really looking forward to a huge year from Casey)
4) Olivo's anemic bat. He needs to get swinging
5) Yan has been the bust I predicted, and so far has shown he clearly can't handle SS
6) Starting Andy Gonzalez in Short-season. Some say it would have been too big a jump to go straight to low A, and it may be, but I thought he looked good enough at the plate to start at Kannapolis.

Anything you care to add?

Not really, agree on Allen, agree on Honel (though 3 HR allowed in his last 11 IP is a bit alarming), Wing has been impressive.

A bit disappointed in Andrew Fryson, he's been hit hard. My guess is he can't hit his spots, and has been battling 2-0, 2-1, 3-1 quite often thus far.

Heath Phillips has pitched better than his record indicates as well.

Borchard reports to Charlotte this week to continue his rehab.

Hmmm, I'm torn on Gonzalez' situation. I think I'll side with management, though, only because I've seen the Cubs rush their two best shortstop prospects (Montanez last year, and Cedeno this year) from the AZL straight to low-A...and they both struggled. And I suppose it isn't where they start, but where they finish. I'd be shocked if A-Gon didn't finish with Kannapolis, and start at Winston Salem next year.

Vsahajpal
04-22-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Vic or Randar....

Who do you think, if anybody, will get a call up the big club this year that isnt Harris, Hummel, Borchard, or Crede?

Ed Almonte.

Randar68
04-22-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Ed Almonte.

I'll take the easy way out:
1) Wunsch - when/if healthy
2) Parque - same as above, but add effectiveness...
3) Paul - Sandy knee injury away!
4) Ginter - don't ask me why they traded Fogg over Matt...