PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever caught a home run/foul ball?

thomas35forever
02-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Who's ever had a souvenir hit right into their seats?

skottyj242
02-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Who's ever had a souvenir hit right into their seats?

I have been close to tons of them but I usually duck when they come my way.:redface: Never have actually gotten one.

eriqjaffe
02-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I've come close a couple of times, back in old Comiskey. I remember a game against Cleveland, sitting along the third base line when a blistering line drive came right at me - I panicked and ducked out of the way, and the ball wound up hitting the guy behind me, who wasn't expecting me to duck. :redface:

edit: skotty and I were apparently typing at the same time, and now I don't feel so bad about ducking.

A few years later, I was sitting in the upper deck behind home plate, and a buddy of mine chased down a foul ball off the bat of Harold Baines. The park was pretty empty, as it was cold. At least it was United Airlines Scarf Night - still have the scarf, incidentally.

bigsoxfan420
02-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I had a foul ball hit my left hand and bounce away a couple of years ago. I had a frosty beverage in my right hand so I tried catching it one-handed. I retrospect I should have USED THE BEVERAGE! I did run after and get a ball at a Joliet Jackhammers game, but I don't really count that one.

SoxyStu
02-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Got a foul ball at the inaugural season of New Comiskey Park - the ball has the stamp.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-01-2008, 01:16 PM
My girlfriend got 2 within 2 weeks. One at a Brewers/cubs game at Wrigley, and the other the following week at Miller Park.

hi im skot
02-01-2008, 01:24 PM
A ball landed on my dad's lap at a Sox/Red Sox game at Comiskey in '95. Roger Clemens was pitching to Ron Karkovice. He gave it to me and I've still got it in my collection.

the1tab
02-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I have a Dye home run ball I must admit I caught off the forehead of a young lady three rows behind me. She left for medical attention, otherwise I would have probably given her the ball. It's from early '06.

I also have a foul ball that was hit by Konerko that I caught at Wrigley Field in 2005.

I will add the disclaimer that my season tickets were in the third row of the first full section to the right field side of the batter eye... so I've had a number of opportunities in the past three years.

LITTLE NELL
02-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Caught a foul ball(Carlton Fisk) in 1991. What made it special was that is was the 1st night game at new Comiskey and it had a special Comiskey logo on it. All kinds of people made me offers for it but I still have it and will keep it.

PicktoCLick72
02-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I caught one at the All-Star game in 03. A Troy Glaus foul ball from a Jason Schmidt pitch.
My brother once got three balls in one game as he would always go up to get the ball Paulie threw in after the end of an inning.

soxfan21
02-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Caught a fould ball last year on the 4th of July game against the Red Sox. I have a bunch of balls caught during BP last year between my girlfriend and I, I think we caught about 10 of them. Usually just give them to our younger siblings or cousins though. If you really want a ball the best time to get one is during BP, and standing in the right field seats by the bullpen. Got Leo Mazzone's autograph there last year, and talked with him for a while when the O's were in town.

thegooch
02-01-2008, 01:52 PM
mrfourni and Beer Can Chicken have been known to knock over old women and little children to get their filthy paws on a foul ball or home run. Costanza style.

Oblong
02-01-2008, 01:56 PM
I have a foul ball hit by Jim Thome off of Jeff Weaver. I was behind the plate and the ball bounced off the suite level facade and came right to me. I hope Ernie Harwell gave me the "And a gentleman from... caught that one" treatment.

sox1970
02-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I didn't catch it, but I got a foul ball in Sarasota off the bat of Pedro Guerrero in 1984. I went to the concession stand with my dad, a ball flew over the seats, hit a camper, and rolled down into the parking lot. With hot dog in hand, I chased after the ball, and got it. Mustard stains on the ball, but I got it signed after the game by Baines, Kittle, Fletcher, Cruz, LaRussa, Hemond, and Pedro Guerrero himself.

cbrownson13
My dad use to have season tix in section 119, row 4. Usually, our best bet would be to get a ball in BP from one of the players.

However, one evening, my dad, my friend, and I were sitting, my dad keeping score. My friend and I had our gloves all ready for a potential foul ball as usual.

Sosa comes to the plate (this is when he was still with the Sox) and hits an absolute screamer directly at us. Everyone ducks out of the way, including my friend and I who had gloves.

My dad reached up with the pen from keeping score still in his fingers and caught it.

Still have the ball today, with the ink mark from the pen that was in my dad's hand.

Bucky F. Dent
Nope.

But I remember as a kid sitting in the lower deck of Comiskey down the third base line near the Sox bullpen. It was a Sunday doubleheader against the Tigers, bat day.

We were in the closer section of seats, somebody scorched a foul line drive into the second section of seats. That ball went into the crowd, and then came back out just as fast. About five minutes later the Andy Frain guys were walking a guy out of that section with blood absolutely everywhere.

Thigpen "57"
02-01-2008, 02:06 PM
In 2004 I was sitting in right field with my sister for a Sox Twinkies matchup. I caught Jasun Kubel's first career homerun. Also in the first year at the new park, my dad got some complimentary tickets behind the Sox dugout. After the first inning Fisk rolled the ball across the top of the dugout to my mom, who happened to be her all time favorite player as well.

eriqjaffe
02-01-2008, 02:09 PM
But I remember as a kid sitting in the lower deck of Comiskey down the third base line near the Sox bullpen. It was a Sunday doubleheader against the Tigers, bat day.

We were in the closer section of seats, somebody scorched a foul line drive into the second section of seats. That ball went into the crowd, and then came back out just as fast. About five minutes later the Andy Frain guys were walking a guy out of that section with blood absolutely everywhere.I remember one of those - same area, although a little closer to the infield.

No blood, but a screaming liner during batting practice hit a fat woman in her exposed upper arm with a hell of a "thwack".

DumpJerry
02-01-2008, 02:26 PM
After 30+ years and around 500 ballgames, I finally got one last year. Sarge, jr. fouling off Burls to lead off the game. Landed softly on the seat in front of me. I Tivo'd the re-braodcast, but they did not follow the ball's flight.

Herbal
02-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I caught a rare upper tank foul ball off Thome against BOS in 2006.

JohnTucker0814
02-01-2008, 02:30 PM
I caught a Sandy Alomar HR ball in a spring training game at TEP...

I was at a Cubs/Astros game when Beltran was with the Astros, I was sitting right by the visitors bullpen and he hit a scorching line drive down the line, I reached over the wall, right into the palm of my hand... and dropped on the field right below me!!!! Amazingly, my hand did not hurt one bit!

DaBearsSoxBulls3
02-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Actually caught a Carlos Lee homer on a fly in the first row 4 or 5 years ago...still have it.

14konerko
first year New Comiskey opened, I caught a foul ball. Edgar Martinez hit it, I beleive Alex Fernandez was the pitcher.

RockyMtnSoxFan
Last year I caught a home run from Khalil Greene at Coors Field. At first I thought it'd be a deep fly, but it kept coming and coming. At some point, the ball didn't appear to be moving any more, and I knew it was coming straight at me. To be honest, I didn't catch it cleanly; I had it in my hand but couldn't hold onto it. But it landed at my feet and I still have it.

Uncle_Patrick
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I caught a foul ball hit by Brad Fullmer of the Angels at US Cellular. I didn't really catch it...it bounced on the stairs and landed in the seat in front of me.

Vestigio
02-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Other than the balls that were thrown to me, I only caught a BP HR ball. When it ricocheted off the pitchers eye (when it was slanted), I stood on the seat and grabbed it.

My mom also got a BP HR ball, but it came at a price. Not paying attention, she got nailed with the ball on her inner thigh, sitting about 20 rows up in the bleachers.

Mr.1Dog
02-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I have never caught one. The closest I have come was a line drive that smacked a girl in the nose and split the cartiledge 2 rows behind me. It was an ugly scene.

Rocky Soprano
02-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Couple of years ago, a foul ball off the bat off Joe Borchard landed in the seat in front of me. I reached over and got myself the souvenir. :smile:

Speaking of people getting hit, I can't remember who the Sox were playing but a foul ball was scorched down the left field foul line and whacked a guy right in the chest. The ball bounced like 50 feet in the air. Carlos ran over to the guy and asked him if he was ok. He ended up leaving with security/medic.

duke of dorwood
02-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I caught a foul ball in 1985 pitched by Tom Seaver to Tom Brunansky on glove day. Seaver Finger print was engrained in the "dirt" on the ball

Palehose Pete
02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Got a foul ball at the inaugural season of New Comiskey Park - the ball has the stamp.

That's way cool.

I caught a BP ball a few summers ago... right in the chest. A bunch of people were along the LF line to get some player autographs before a Tigers / Sox game. A BP ball zeroed in on us and I was the only one not paying attention. Everyone else ducked for cover because the ball was heading at us so quickly, and the ball slammed into my chest, almost knocking the wind out of me. I had no idea what the hell hit me. When the smoke cleared, the ball was on the ground by my feet. I reached down and picked it up. I had a really boss black and blue mark on my chest for the next couple of weeks.

SOXBOY
02-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Oct 02 2005 at Cleveland. Dye its a foul ball behind home plate. I'm sitting on the second level behind home and catch it. It was great plus it was my Birthday.

RTI_SoxFan
02-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Caught a Hideke Matsui foul ball in 2005.

DumpJerry
02-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. When Bo Jackson hit his home run on Opening Day after his surgury, the ball landed about 7 rows right in front of me! I was on television coast-to-coast.:angry:

When Fisk hit his home run which gave him the MLB record for Catchers, it landed in the seats my friend and usually sat in (his dad's season seats). We took the night off from going that night.:angry:

One night (1991) as I was headed down the aisle to my seat, an Angel player (IIRC, Winfield) hit a home run that hit my seat.:angry::angry:

TornLabrum
02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
The closest I ever came was a line foul shot off Maggs' bat. It ricocheted off the hands of somebody a few rows ahead of me and caught me right in the chest. The guy next to me grabbed the ball as I grabbed my chest. I wore the bruise for three weeks.

Maggs could hit the ball hard.

Domeshot17
02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
I ended up 2 although neither really counts.

When I was 4 my Grandfather took me to a cubs game (yah I know, but I was 4, and he grew up in the time it was ok to like both teams). His company would give him seats first row by the bullpen. Well Lee Smith was warming up and I was yellin at him to throw strikes, and telling him to pick his leg up higher etc. As the story goes he kept crackin up laughin at me. Well he took the ball he was warming up with, got the bullpen coaches pen, signed the ball and gave it to me and asked me if I could please let him warm up. Apparently I was all excited and shut up. I still have the signed ball on display.

In high school I had a friend who could get us seats pretty much anywhere in the ballpark. Well we sat behind the visiting on deck circle one game, and got a ball flipped into the crowd by the bat boy.

ChiSoxLifer
02-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I caught a BP home run in Anaheim, game 5 playoffs and also managed to get Minnie Minoso to autograph the ball after the game.

SOBdmb
02-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I bare handed Dye's 12th in '06 in left field against Oakland...probably the highlight of my baseball career. Got some good face time on TV and was actually in the Sox commercial at the end of the year.

twentywontowin
02-01-2008, 05:08 PM
None for me, but my dad probably would have had Fred Lynn's All-Star Game grand slam in 1983 if he wasn't passed out drunk.

MisterB
02-01-2008, 05:54 PM
July 1, 1993, top of the 4th. I was in town visiting family and we caught a game vs. the O's. Seats in the grandstand near the LF corner. First pitch of the inning goes from Black Jack's hand, off Baines' bat and to my glove. My dad had to stay home to take care of my grandma and recorded the game "in case we got on TV". Sportsvision got back late from the commercial break so all we got was Hawk saying "Harold fouled off the first pitch....here's McDowell's second....". Oh, well. Still have the ball, though.

BTW, the Sox lost that game 1-0 to freaking Jamie Moyer. :mad:

comiskey2000
02-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I caught a foul ball his by Magglio at a Sox game. Tim Wakefield was on the mound throwing his knuckleballs. The foul ball was high soft hit with virtually no spin. Elbowed my friend out of the way and grabbed it. It was quite the rush.

Brian26
02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
This past year on April 7 (freezing Saturday afternoon Fox game against the Twins), I caught a groundrule double off Konerko's bat on one bounce in the bullpen sports bar. Pat Neshek was the pitcher.

chisox77
02-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Never in all of the White Sox games I have been to.

If a ball did come close, there were usually children around, and my attitude is to let them go after it.

:cool:

BeefyD
02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I have two foul balls, one from Frank Thomas, and the other I can't remember. My buddy who goes to the game with me got an Angel Berroa home run ball. We were on tv for that one, and he caught it, I got excited for him and started clapping, high-fiving, etc. See the replay on the news and it looks like I'm happy Berroa hit the homer. DOH!

itsnotrequired
02-01-2008, 11:20 PM
August 27, 2006. Section 520, Row 6, Seat 1. Iguchi fouled off a 1-0 pitch, fifth inning against the Twins, Silva on the mound. It was the first game I ever took our son to by myself and it was two weeks before his first birthday. I would love to say I caught it on the fly but with him on my lap, my mobility was limited. It hit my hands, bounced on the steps and I caught it on the first bounce.

The ball currently rests on a shelf in his room, along with an autographed Man Soo ball. Total, classic action...

CHISOXFAN13
02-02-2008, 12:05 AM
I caught a line drive foul ball off the bat of Scott Pose at Kaufman Stadium in April 1999. Saw the Sox win two games that weekend!

Viva Medias B's
02-02-2008, 12:57 AM
There were two home run near misses. One was Opening Day 2001 when Manos hit one to right and the ball bounced immediately to my left on the walkway between Section 106 and 107. I missed the ball becaue I lost track of its flight and feard it might hit me. The other one was even closer during the 2003 Home Run Derby when a ball off the bat of Albert Pujols came into my aisle and was under my right foot. Unfortunatley, I was unable to secure it and someone else managed to get it.

Hitmenof77
02-02-2008, 03:03 AM
Never at a major league game. I've gone to 15 minor league games and caught 3 foul balls and one HR ball.

chisoxjtrain
02-02-2008, 03:05 AM
My brother, who was 5 at the time, caught McGwire's 29th home run in 1998.

SoxFanSince67
02-02-2008, 08:17 AM
I caught a Konerko foul ball in August 04 against Detroit. When re-telling the story of my spectacular catch my wife likes to tell it from the perspective that I knocked an old man down the steps to catch the ball...the old man actually tripped over me.

AZChiSoxFan
02-02-2008, 09:02 AM
I caught a BP homerun ball (well actually, picked it up after it stopped rolling around) and I also caught a foul ball during an actual game, so I guess that one counts. Ironically, both of those events happened on different dates but at the same stadium (ballpark in Arlington). I caught the foul ball during game 2 of a DH when the Sox played there in late Aug of 2005.

I also got my hand on a foul ball at USCF in 2004 but couldn't make the play.:redface:

TomBradley72
02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Three foul balls:

Old Comiskey...upper deck over the White Sox on deck circle....foul ball off a lefty...hits the luxury box glass above us...I stick my arm up blindly in a crowd of people...ball lands right in my hand.
New Comiskey...upper deck down the 3rd base line in the early 90's...foul ball during a day game...lands right under my seat.
New Comiskey....Mother Day...Alex Fernandez is pitching....lower deck 3rd base line...low line drive....pin balls around....ends up in my hand...gave it to my Mom (she had a "thing" for Alex).Home Runs:

Fisk his a "walk off" grand slam to end the 2nd game of a doubleheader against the Twins at the new park...might have been the last day of the season. JUST missed it....closest I've ever come.

LauraJ14
02-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I got a foul ball hit by Maggs on my birthday, May 2nd 2004.
Upper Deck 1st base side, there were only about 10 people in the section, it hit the row in front of me and bounced into my lap.
My sister was getting food and I told her I caught the ball with my hands and she was actually believing me until the people behind me ratted me out.

StillMissOzzie
02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
My home run near miss story: Me and the Mrs. were in our LF seats on a chilly night. I was wearing my heavy ski gloves. Back in the days when the Sox had the legendary Chris Sabo, he came into the game as a pinch hitter and hit a homer. Now, this was back when the bullpens were aligned perpendicular to the outfield walls, not parallel as they are now. The ball appeared to be heading straight for the Sox bullpen, but as it was coming down, I could see it had some slice on it and it was curving toward the LF foul line. As it came down, it hit the railing of the bullpen and bounced right at me. Not expecting the carom, and wearing the heavy ski gloves, I muffed the catch. I WAS SO PISSED OFF!!!

Out at Elfstrom Stadium, home of the Kane County Cougars, I got two foul balls. Our tickets are right near the end of the visitor's dugout on the 3B side. One, it was a screaming liner that some other chump sacrificed his hands for, and bounced right into my lap. The other was a check-swing dribbler that rolled over the dugout, right at my feet.

SMO
:angry::(:

redsand22
02-02-2008, 06:07 PM
2 close calls, first one was at old Comisky ball landed in the row in front of me, I was probably 8 at the time and this big guy basically pushed me to the ground to get it. The second one was about 6 years ago. I was in the upper tank behind homeplate... a sky rocket of a foul ball came up there and I went to catch it (no glove) and it hit of the bottom of my hand near my wrist, bounced off my lip and fell to the ground. The guy a row in front of me, bends down and goes "Oh!", and picks it up. Meanwhile, I'm standing there with my lip bleeding haha!

Finally got a ball at the moment I'd least expect it. 05 season and I went to a game at Fenway vs the White Sox. I was walking down the street and boom a ball hits off the building across from Fenway and rolls right in front of me. I'm not sure which team was taking BP, or who hit it, but it was still pretty cool.

soxjim
02-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Back in 1993 I caught a homerun ball at County Stadium.

doublem23
02-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Nope. One of my life goals.

barryball
02-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I use to sell souveniors outside both Wrigley (Corner of Clark and Addison) and Old Comiskey (Outside old gate 9 - 3rd base side) in the 70's and 80's and caught at least a dozen or so at both ballparks. In addition I would routinely check out BP at Comiskey and grabbed a few that way as well.

As for "in game" live foul balls I have not but was very close to an upper deck homer near the LF foul poll at Old Comiskey in 1973. If my parents weren't scared about my younger brother falling over the rail we would have had it!!!:supernana:

soxfan1983
02-03-2008, 12:26 PM
I was sitting in Section 330 once and Uribe hit a foul ball straight back at me. My butter hand dropped the ball over the edge of the wall. Only time a foul ball has come close to me - needless to say I was so pissed and still am. One good thing is, I didn't spill my beer! :gulp:

EndemicSox
02-03-2008, 03:46 PM
My brother caught one of Hurt's back in '94, got it signed and gave it to me as a birthday present. Nicest thing he has ever done, and ever will do:cool:

jabrch
02-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I was sitting row 2 on the first base side in a Cubs vs Sox game a few years back. During pre-game, I was taunting Sosa so much and so loud (and both in English and Spanish) that I caught his attention multiple times. After he was done working out, he walked over and tossed me a ball and said I was a pretty good heckler. I told him to give the ball to some kid who didn't think he was a complete fraud - and I flipped it to some kid in a Cubs jersey.

But after 250+ major league games, I have never caught a single ball...

Oblong
02-03-2008, 05:26 PM
If we're counting BP then I've gotten too many to count. At Tiger Stadium if you'd enter the upper deck RF right when the stadium first opened then you would catch the tail end of the Tiger's practice and all of the visiting team. It was pretty much a gimme that you'd get a ball. I did catch a Mickey Tettleton and Lou Whitaker HR in BP. I caught Mickey's bare handed. I do not know how I didn't break my hand. I watched it go right in amongst a mob of gloves. Maybe there was a cushion effect. I used a glove for Lou's. Other than that it was either picking up leftovers sitting there when we'd arrive or as they were bouncing around. They're in a duffel bag and I used them to hit fly balls.

the previously mentioned Thome/Weaver ball is sitting on a shelf in my son's room. That's a keeper. Maybe one day I'll get him to sign it somehow.

ChiSoxGirl
02-03-2008, 05:45 PM
I didn't physically catch the ball, but in late September 2001, I was at a Sox game with tstrike2000 and we were sitting by third base, several rows up. He got up to go to the concession stand or something and while he was gone, Doug Mientkiewicz (then of the Twins) hit a foul ball that landed right underneath tstrike2000's seat. Since he wasn't there, I claimed the ball myself. :wink:

Law11
02-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I caught a Julio Franco Homerun ball n LCF first row. Then proceeded to kick it by mistake into the moat between the fence and the seats, never to get it back as it lay on the ground. This was obviously before the renovations.:whiner:

chisoxfanatic
02-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I shouldn't have ever left my seat. During the 2005 season (my boyfriend's first game at Comiskey, actually), we were meeting a friend under the Fundamentals Deck at about the 5th inning (our seats were in Section 147). We saw a foul ball hit in the vicinity where we were sitting. When we returned, the people around us informed us that the ball landed right in my seat. The Cleveland Indians fans next to us got to keep the ball.

Frater Perdurabo
02-03-2008, 07:06 PM
It seems like every time I see a game involving the Oakland Athletics, a long fly ball finds its way to me, and I fail to make the grab.

This happened with a batting practice HR at Old Comiskey in 1990 (can't remember if it was McGwire or Canseco who hit it), an A's homer against the Rangers in Arlington 2004, and a long Jack Cust foul ball (with HR distance) against the Sox at the Cell last year.

nccwsfan
02-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Caught a foul ball at Anaheim Stadium in 96' (Tim Raines) and at Durham Bulls Athletic Park in 03' (Jason Tyner).

soxfanreggie
02-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Not including BP, and only MLB, 3. If you include minor league games, probably 15-20. If you count BP...well, let's just say I had a huge box of baseballs, I started giving most of them away after I filled my own batting practice bucket.

MCHSoxFan
02-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I was a WS Game 1. Dye, in the first inning, hits a homerun in section 105. 2 ros down and a couple seats over from where I was sitting. I was sooo mad. That would have been sweeet to catch. I keep watching the WS05 DVD's just to that over and over again. :D:

Zisk77
02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I caught a Lyle Mouton BP hr in left field, still got somewhere... I think?:?:

Beer Can Chicken
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
mrfourni and Beer Can Chicken have been known to knock over old women and little children to get their filthy paws on a foul ball or home run. Costanza style.

When a foul ball comes in my direction, it's like Thunderdome sans Tina Turner.

wsoxfan
02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Does spring training count? If so, I caught a home run ball during a giants game in Scottsdale. That was pretty cool. Regular season, I almost got a foul ball opening day one year but it hit in the row right in front of me and went under the seat and the person in front of me got it unfortunately...

jamteh
02-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Almost got tagged by a foul at Buehrle's no hitter.

I did have a ballboy hand me a Maggs foul ball in September 2001 in a twin bill with the Tigers where the actual attendance for the first game must have been less than 2,000.

FedEx227
02-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I did have a ballboy hand me a Maggs foul ball in September 2001 in a twin bill with the Tigers where the actual attendance for the first game must have been less than 2,000.

Isn't that every White Sox game?

JohnnyInnsbrook
02-05-2008, 12:44 AM
I caught Rondell White's home run ball in that crazy game last season where the twins scored 6 in the top of the 9th and the sox came back to tie it and win in extra innings on an A.J. single.

stl_sox_fan
02-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I've caught two(well mom helped with the first). Back in the day of the Windy City Crosstown Classic, we caught and fought for a homerun by Pudge Fisk. Then in 2001 when the Sox came to St Louis I caught Ordonez HR while sitting in the bleachers. Funny thing was everyone treated it like the garter throw at a reception. Noone pushed or shoved me to get it.

Over By There
02-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Never at a Sox game, never been closer than a few rows, actually. Maybe I should invest in some better seats. :smile: The only ball I caught was back at the old Busch Stadium a number of years back. I was in the outfield bar area during BP, and Mike Piazza (then with the Dodgers) hit a homer that I caught on a bounce.

rookieroy
02-05-2008, 10:01 AM
My son got a Rafael Palmeiro home run ball. It is somewhere around 470ish? I have not looked it up yet. It was hit in the Bull Pen bar where the fan promptly threw it back on the field, the umpire tossed it to the security guard who then handed it to my son. We were sitting in the front row that day. The guy who threw it back didn't have time to switch balls as I watched him for the three seconds he had it.

Have a Scott Rolen BP 2003 All Star game home run ball. He hit it in the right center field stands and I just ran to that area and grabbed it among many others. Pretty cool.

Caught a Royce Clayton foul ball behind home plate in the 300 level back in 2002 or 2003. It had HUGE backspin and would have hit my daughter in the head if I didn't catch it. It was very scary as I think back now what might have happened to her if I didn't catch it. I literally caught it 12 inches in front of her face.

viagracat
02-05-2008, 08:44 PM
About 1973 I went with my dad and my brother to Wrigley and had seats in the right-field bleachers. Billy Williams hit a homer that--I think--ended up being the game-winning hit. The ball landed in the seat right in front of me and I was able to get a hand on it while it bounced around although I didn't end up with it. However, the sports section of the Trib the next day had a photo of the home run with an arrow pointing to the ball and us right there next to that arrow. Therefore, I'm famous. :cool:

I also once saw a gal get hit by a BP homer. Right in the face, and she had no idea it was coming. That wasn't good. :(::o:

On a related note, I once got a hand on a hockey puck that trickled over the glass (in the pre-screen days) and ended up in the first row behind the net where we were sitting (this was at Detroit's Joe Louis Arena during a Hawks-Wings game). Again, I didn't end up with it. Butterfingers. :smile:

IlliniSox4Life
02-06-2008, 02:14 AM
I have never caught one. My mom did once, but I was too young to remember it. She went to a game with the rest of my family. A screamer of a HR was hit right above her. I think she was leaning forward to avoid it. The guy behind her reached up and barehanded the ball, but he dropped it and it fell behind my mom's back. She reached around and picked it up and gave it to my brother who was probably 6 or so at the time.