PDA

View Full Version : Whats Your Top 3 Worries For 2008

Schmitz33
02-01-2008, 11:59 AM
With Spring Training right aroung the corner whats your top 3 worries about this ball team. Before you read my worries keep in mind that I am still very bitter about us not getting Rowand or Hunter. But of course I will have faith in Kenny. So here are my following concerns.

1. PITCHING - We are returning a staff that had a combined ERA last year of 4.57 with a record of 42-52. I do not see a real improvment in the starting rotation from last year nor do I see a real improvement in the pen. Signing Dotel and Linebrink intrests me but I believe Dotel has had an injuried plagued couple of years in 05,06 bounced back last year but the guys 35. Linebrink of the other hand may pan out... If not over used. I also think that part of our problem last year was we overloaded on the :angry:flamethrowing:angry: relief pitchers. It looked like after seeing those guys back to back they appeared to be catching up to the heat a little easier than before.

2. Left Field - Are we in for another Brian Anderson Year in Left Field? I mean do we have a big leaguer in the position. My heart can not stomach a year in which we rotate Left Fielders like its a circus.

3. Are we built for Ozzie ball, So what if the pitching does come through, Can the boys bunt and play a national league style of ball that proved to be very sucessful for us in 05.

Let me know what you think, and what your top 3 worries are!

chisoxmike
02-01-2008, 12:14 PM
1. Pitching: Starters AND Bullpen

2. Guts and attitude: This team, for a year and a half has had no attitude. No killer instinct. No "go for the kill" attitude. They've let teams walk over them. It's annoying. I'd like for that to change.

3. Coaching staff

Bucky F. Dent
02-01-2008, 12:17 PM
1 - Starting Pitching - Beyond Buehrle and Vazquez there is substantial uncertainty regarding what we will get.
2 - Lead off Hitter - We don't have one.
3 - Centerfield - None of our candidates for the position put together the complete package.

gogosox16
02-01-2008, 12:18 PM
1) Starting Pitching but mostly the bulpen.

2) 2nd base...what do we need to expect from the position.

3) everyone to bounce back, everyone is now a year older and are core players are starting to age a little and they all had poor seasons last year. Can we expect Them all return to 06' form or some what near that?

Lip Man 1
02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
1. Sox starting pitching
2. Detroit
3. Cleveland
4. Boston
5. Angels
6. Yankees

Lip

santo=dorf
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Worries, what worries? You guys are all a bunch of dark clouds as this team will 112 games, a minimum of 97.

seriously: Danks and Floyd, and last year's bullpen +$30 million and two pitchers who have made their name in the NL.

chisox77
1. Pitching
2. Pitching
3. Pitching

:cool:

gogosox16
Worries, what worries? You guys are all a bunch of dark clouds as this team will 112 games, a minimum of 97.

seriously: Danks and Floyd, and last year's bullpen +$30 million and two pitchers who have made their name in the NL.
Teal?

Corlose 15
02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
1. Jose Contreras

2. Having to listen to people anointing the Tigers as the reincarnation of the '27 Yankees.

3. Getting a job after I graduate.

I'm really not all that worried about the Sox this year folks. :cool:

johnr1note
02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
1. Starting pitching: (I have a sense the bullpen will be much better with Lenebrink and Dotel). There are two many question marks with the starting staff. Will Contrares bounce back? Will Danks/Floyd carry the load? I think we need another starting pitcher before we break camp.

2. Lead off hitter: We don't have a legit leadoff man who will get on base and disrupt the pitcher. I don't think we can win without one. So far, Jerry Owens is not the answer, and everyone else doesn't fit the mold.

3. A real live centerfielder: I think we're fooling ourselves if we think Swisher is the answer in CF. He's a left fielder at best. And that is where he should play. Jerry Owens is adequate, but he's really better suited to coming off the bench, unless he can prove to be the lead off hitter we need. We need a CF who can cover the ground, has an arm, and can hit well enough to not be an automatic out.

soxfan21
02-01-2008, 12:27 PM
1. Starting Pitching

2. Current leadoff hitter situation

3. Joe Crede situation (Will the person/people we get in a trade for him help us this year or not)

kittle42
02-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Teal?

I really can't stand when people don't get the obvious sarcasm.

[/soapbox]

gobears1987
02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
1. Gavin Floyd in the rotation. I really hope Broadway is ready because Floyd sucks.

2. Jose Contreras: He looked good late last year, but it's understandable to be worried about him.

skottyj242
Dude I can't take you seriously with that sig. Sorry.

Top three worries:

1. Is Heather going to be back selling me deliciously cold Budweisers and will I still be able to cut when there is a really long line?

2. How much will said Budweisers cost me this year?

3. Will Miller and Chips ever bring anything more than their own beer to the tailgates?

gobears1987
2. Left Field - Are we in for another Brian Anderson Year in Left Field? I mean do we have a big leaguer in the position. My heart can not stomach a year in which we rotate Left Fielders like its a circus.

*cough* Carlos Quentin *cough* I think we are fine there.

sircaffey1
02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
1. Declining veterans
2. Fields starting...in AAA
3. Owens leading off

FedEx227
02-01-2008, 12:49 PM
1. Gavin Floyd

2. John Danks

3. Jose Contreras

3a. What to do with Crede/Fields

Hitmen77
02-01-2008, 12:58 PM
1. Starting pitching. If every one pitches to their potential, the Sox could have an incredible starting 5 that would make us a definite playoff contender. However Contreras, Danks and Floyd are all huge question marks.

2. Bullpen. Not hard to improve over last year's fiasco. But, Dotel is a question mark and so is Linebrink to some extent. Can Thornton and MacDougal pitch more like '06 instead of '07? Again, the potential is there for the pen to be lights out - but there are certainly big question marks.

3. Detroit/Cleveland. I'll agree with Lip on this. One of the big problems for the Sox is that they play in the AL Central. Even putting together a solid 90 win team will likely not be enough to make the playoffs.

As far as the offense goes, I'm not as worried about it. We seem to have more options out there in case certain players falter. This includes having Dye, Swisher, Quentin, and Owens...and maybe even Ramirez available to play OF. At 2B, if Richar falters there is Uribe and again maybe Ramirez. I'm not fooling myself into thinking we don't have question marks - but I like the upside alot of our guys have. Defense in CF is a concern, but we'll see.

rdivaldi
1) Starting pitching
2) Finding a lead-off hitter
3) Farm system development (most notably Poreda's arm/shoulder)

voodoochile
http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/alfred_e_neuman.jpg

rdivaldi
02-01-2008, 12:59 PM
1. Declining veterans

Just out of curiousity caffey, who are you most worried about besides the obvious in Thome and Contreras?

champagne030
02-01-2008, 01:00 PM
1 - Starting Pitching - Beyond Buehrle and Vazquez there is substantial uncertainty regarding what we will get.
2 - Lead off Hitter - We don't have one.
3 - Centerfield - None of our candidates for the position put together the complete package.

:nod:

jenn2080
02-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Dude I can't take you seriously with that sig. Sorry.

Top three worries:

1. Is Heather going to be back selling me deliciously cold Budweisers and will I still be able to cut when there is a really long line?

2. How much will said Budweisers cost me this year?

3. Will Miller and Chips ever bring anything more than their own beer to the tailgates? :rolling: :rolling: My guess is no

Post of the week

Don't forget about who will take over Gate 6 and will they be as cool as Big E.

skottyj242
02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
4. Will we still be able to smoke?

batmanZoSo
02-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Pitching

Pitching

Pitching

Runner up: Ozzie

Tekijawa
02-01-2008, 01:17 PM
1. Economy
2. Global Climate Change
3. If the Price of Nachos have increased this year also

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-01-2008, 01:22 PM
1. Starting Pitching
2. Second Base
3. Detroit, Minnesota and Cleveland
4. Whether the churro poll in the Roadhouse gets locked.

Domeshot17
02-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I actually like our pitching staff. This is how teams who sustain winning do it, they bring top prospects and fill them in the back of the rotation. Danks was much better then his numbers last year, and is our 4th starter. Floyd looked fine as a 5th. We basically want a .500 record 185 innings and and a sub 5 era from Floyd and I have confidence he can do that.

I worry Contreras is good enough to be our 3. Although, I also have a feeling Lance Broadway is more than ready to fill in.

I worry about the top of our lineup. I like our offense, but I don't like Orlando Cabrera leading off.

I worry Ozzie will have the same fear and play a crappy Owens over a much better Quentin.

I worry mostly about team defense. I would take Fields over Crede, but his D is much worse. Richar is a ? defensively. Quentin and Dye are pretty good in the corners, and Swisher is unknown in center because USCF is less to roam than he had in Oakland. AJ calls a decent game but combined with our staff is bad at keeping guys from stealing. Ozuna is poor everywhere defensively off the bench, Ramirez is an unknown, Hall is a terrible defensive C even when healthy. Our defense is like our pitching. It has a chance to be really good, but could also be pretty bad.

sox1970
02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
No worries for me, since I don't think they're good enough to make the playoffs at this point. I'd rather just see some positives that sets them up for a run in 2009:

1. The young players--Richar, Ramirez, Quentin, Fields, Owens, Floyd, Danks--if they all have bad years, that would be huge letdown on the optimism for 09.

2. Linebrink and Dotel--staying off the DL and justifying their salaries. If they are just as bad as the bunch last year, it would really suck for the fans.

3. Buehrle and Vazquez--perform like legitimate 1-2 starters.

Jerko
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
1. #4 and 5 starters. I don't want to go back to the Danny Wright days.
2. Ozzie's incessant LRLRLRLRLRLRLR matchup bull****
3. 2b

russ99
02-01-2008, 02:36 PM
1. Back end of the rotation. I'm not so worried about Contreras, more Danks and Floyd. I'd love for Kenny to get us another starter (for Crede?) so the rotation is less of a question mark

2. Center Field. Swisher has the bat, but I have no idea if his range/defense is anywhere near good enough. I'd be more comfortable with Swish in LF. If Owens can show he's improving hitting major league pitching and getting on base, the job is his. How 'bout an outside CF/leadoff man like Willits, Figgins or Crisp?

3. The Big Three. Thome, Konerko and Dye really need to step up this season to show that last year was a fluke and not the beginning of the end for all 3 guys. I'd like to see Thome bat behind Konerko, so Paulie gets better pitches to hit, and grounds into less DPs. Maybe Jim can focus on hitting a bit better to the opposite field so other teams can drop that maddening shift. Dye can't afford the kind of slump he had last year. We're paying him for 2006 numbers, not 2007 ones.

4. A.J. - we really could use another Cub fight this year... :tongue:

Everything else looks good, especially the bullpen.

whitesoxwilkes
02-01-2008, 02:38 PM
If Josh Fields is indeed the answer at 3rd base, can he put up the numbers he did last year?

Ditto on Danks and Floyd.

Foulke You
02-01-2008, 03:06 PM
1. Health- Injuries played a part in the dramatic decline of the 2007 White Sox. Injuries to Ozuna, Thome, Dye, Pods, Erstad and others caused the Sox to call upon their weak position players from their farm system with disastrous results. (other than Fields of course) The '08 Sox simply cannot afford another round of injuries to key players for any extended stretch and hope to contend in this division.

2. Starting Pitching- Javy had a nice year last year and hopefully he can do the same and not return to "Mr. 5 Innings" from '06. Contreras needs to rebound. Floyd and Danks need to step up big.

3. American League Competitors- The AL is getting ridiculous with loaded teams and bloated payrolls. I have a feeling the '08 Sox are going to be a pretty decent team next year but I fear we may not be as good as the elite AL teams (Tribe, Yanks, Red Sox, Angels, Tigers, and even the Mariners if they land Bedard)

hi im skot
02-01-2008, 03:16 PM
yjnvSQuv-H4

Whitesox029
02-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Top three, in order:
1. Danks and Floyd
We saw flashes of brilliance from both of them, but guys who show flashes of brilliance don't always end up like Jon Garland. Sometimes they end up like Jim Parque. Not only am I unsure about them, but they represent the most vital of my three worries here. If I could only pick one of the three to end up going well for us it would be this one, far and away.
Worst case: Both bomb, and we go through the rotating door at the end of the rotation again, just like in '04...only this time we have two spots to fill.
Best case: We get a quality veteran in a trade for Crede and one of the two above mentioned pans out very well as our #5, or both pan out as our #4 and #5.
2. The second base situation
I don't like the idea of putting Uribe there. If you ask me, he should have been traded. Then again, we would probably get close to nothing for him, and he at least provides some flexibility as we stand right now. As for Richar, I don't think he's ready. It will be a battle between Uribe and Ramirez, and you know Ramirez is going to work harder for it.
Worst case: Ramirez proves himself unready, and doesn't make the team. Uribe's 2007 avg/weight of .234/220 meet in the middle. He both weighs and hits [.]227.
Best case: Ramirez proves he's capable of handling the job, and Uribe has a good spring. Then Uribe is traded for something of value (see below).
3. We don't have a left-handed hitter off the bench that we can rely on.
I say this making the assumption that Owens will be our starting centerfielder, which I think he will be. Richar and Cole Armstrong (he'd be the 3rd catcher, so not likely) are then the only left handed hitters on the 40-man who aren't starters.
Worst case: Richar is given the spot, and his development as an everyday player is hindered by sitting on the bench every day. I believe he needs to start '08 in AAA, barring a monster spring to beat out Ramirez and Uribe for the starter's job.
Best case: Uribe is traded for a left-handed hitter with a work ethic to a team that's badly hurting for a shortstop.

Steelrod
02-01-2008, 05:18 PM
1. Stale peanuts
2. Construction on the highway.
3. Well done kosher dogs with well done onions!

peeonwrigley
02-01-2008, 06:34 PM
1. Rotation. MB and JV are good for 30 wins between them, but after that its a mystery. Jose is old. Danks and Floyd could, quite frankly, suck. Big question mark.

2. Center Field. Is Swisher really a good option in center for 150+ games? Will Owens win the job and prove capable of leading off, leaving Quentin as the odd man out? Either way I'm skeptical of our every day outfield options.

3. Line ups. Right now I feel there are a lot of interchangeable parts. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I personally prefer defined roles. I'd like the Sox to have a clear cut starter in each position, and I'd like to see that everyday line up 4 times a week at least.

Hopefully impending trades of Crede and/or Uribe can address at least some of my concerns.

sircaffey1
02-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Just out of curiousity caffey, who are you most worried about besides the obvious in Thome and Contreras?

Dye, Linebrink, and Cabrera. Personally, I don't think Dye will improve as many think, and there's little doubt in my mind Linebrink and Cabrera regress.

Also, there's a part of me thats worried about Bobby. His stuff took a step back last season. He may be 27, but his body has been put through hell and back over the years. I think we'll see Bobby start regressing sooner than normal. His wild child years, a rebuilt elbow, and that body type/lack of conditioning are going to catch up to him at some point.

ws05champs
02-01-2008, 09:47 PM
1. Will I remember to bring something to wipe my seat off with if it rains before the game.

2. Will I remember to wipe the seat with the thing I brought with me to wipe the seat with if it rains before the game, before I sit on the seat.

3. Will they run out of chocolate churros before the 7th inning.

Bonus worry: Will my brother remember to never mention to me the content of any column he happens to read by Moronatti (hopefully he can remember once and for all to stop reading that crap).

A. Cavatica
02-01-2008, 10:08 PM
1. Pitching: Starters AND Bullpen

2. Guts and attitude: This team, for a year and a half has had no attitude. No killer instinct. No "go for the kill" attitude. They've let teams walk over them. It's annoying. I'd like for that to change.

3. Coaching staff

That's close to mine.

1. Pitching. Two good starters are not enough. And I am not convinced that the bullpen will be good enough, because of

2. Coaching staff. The manager, in particular, who puts guys in the wrong roles and does not learn from his mistakes. I'm also concerned with the hitting coach and the minor league instruction, since the team's situational hitting and fundamentals are so poor. The coaching staff also doesn't seem to be in charge of the team's

3. Attitude. As in, if they have a bad month of April, they may just pack it in.

Railsplitter
02-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Pitching
Hitting
Defense

voodoochile
02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
1. Starting Pitching
2. Second Base
3. Detroit, Minnesota and Cleveland
4. Whether the churro poll in the Roadhouse gets locked.

Actually, I'm thinking about sticking it...

(everybody all together)

"Sticking it where?"

If ya have to ask...

Rudy Law
02-01-2008, 11:25 PM
1. The Pitching Staff
2. The Pitching Staff
3. The Pitching Staff

SteveFakeBlood
02-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Not surprisingly everyone seems to have pretty similar concerns. One thing I'm actually not worried about though is second base. I think Alexei Ramirez could be the second coming of '05-06 Gooch- the guy hit .332 over 7 seasons in Cuba, played well in the WBC- I feel that could translate into .280-290, 10-15 homers- which is incredible production out of the 9 spot. If that doesn't happen and I'm completely wrong- it's hard to have three flops at a position in one season and either Richar or Uribe will step up.

Still....

1. Starting pitching.... remember the 5th starter's spot in '04? Maybe we'll get someone for Crede- I hope so. I can see one of the group of Floyd, Danks and Broadway stepping up- but asking for two of them seems to be a bit too optimistic.

2. Leadoff. If we get the Jerry Owens of the second half of '07 we'll be OK. If we get anything else, it will be a travesty.

3. Not having as much money to go to games as I did the last two seasons

I'm sure there was something about the team I could've put for number 3- but the possibilities of #1 and 2 being disasters promise to give me enough nightmares.

~Steve

A. Cavatica
02-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm not worried about leadoff so much as I am about Ozzie's ability to pick the right guy for the job. KW's acquired two players who are excellent at getting on base in Swisher and Quentin, plus Cabrera, who is good at it and has always seemed mentally tough to me. Owens has speed to burn and has gotten on base well in the minors. Any of these guys could turn out to be the right choice to lead off. Yet, in the back of my mind, I see Ozzie embracing Richar... :o:

soxrme
02-03-2008, 01:11 PM
1) Danks and Floyd, still too many questions about them.
2) Strength up the middle. Richar and Swisher do not bring any confidence defensively. Unless they really work with Richar in the winter he is not up to par and we still don't know if he can hit.
3) Joe Crede - get rid of an all-star because of his agent - rediculous

sox1970
02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
1) Danks and Floyd, still too many questions about them.
2) Strength up the middle. Richar and Swisher do not bring any confidence defensively. Unless they really work with Richar in the winter he is not up to par and we still don't know if he can hit.
3) Joe Crede - get rid of an all-star because of his agent - rediculous

Yeah....I hate to break it to you....Crede has never been on an All Star team.

He's good and plays a great defensive 3rd base, but he's got to go because Fields is younger, cheaper, and better offensively. That's just how baseball works.

They want to move him now for the same reason why they moved Garland--because they know he won't be on the team in 2009. They're trying to put together a team that will be intact for a couple years, and it's clear that Crede and Garland weren't going to be here in 2009, so you move them.

SoxxoS
02-03-2008, 01:51 PM
1. Is Javy Vazquez a pitcher that just pitches well with no pressure? If you remember, he wasn't all that fantastic last year when we were still "in it." He was a world beater with nothing on the line. Many of us are penciling him in as a solid number 2 - But I think that is definitely NOT a forgone conclusion.

2. Counting on Gavin Floyd and John Danks. Remember the revolving door of 2004 in the 5th spot? THAT WAS ONLY ONE "HOLE." I think Arnie Munoz starting against Montreal was the microcosm of how bad it was. No we have two big question marks with young guys with big question marks. I am less concerned with Danks...but even if he steps up, the Sox CANT have a repeat of the 5th starter JOKE of 2004. I have some hope that Egbert can step up...or maybe Broadway or something...but that mirrors us relying on John Rauch, Arnie Munoz and a bunch of other clowns I forgot about.

3. Regression on older players - KW said that many players played beneth their career numbers (Konerko/Dye/AJ) but is that just normal statistical regression for older players? Should we EXPECT that? If not, who is going to step up and have a career year?

voodoochile
02-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Sorry, Bobby. I ripped you off...

Here is a little song I have not wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
If the Sox are down late and in trouble
Maybe Thome knock a double
Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no tickets for the game
Somehow you'll see it just the same
Don't worry, be happy
The experts say Detroit is great
But they have yet to cross home plate
Don't worry, be happy
Look at Swish and be happy
Don't worry, be happy
Here I give you a churro or two
When you worry give them a chew
They'll make you happy
Don't worry, be happy
So what if Ozzie's got no style
BurlyMon will make you smile
Don't worry be happy
Cause when you worry
You'll type a frown :(:
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy (now).....

There is this little song I have not wrote
I hope you learn it note for note
Like good little Sox fans
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
If the Sox are down late and in trouble
Maybe Thome knock a double
Don't worry, be happy......
Don't worry don't do it, be happy
Put a smile on your face
Don't bring everybody down like this
Don't worry, Opening day is coming...
162 games to be played...
Don't worry, be happy :D:

:)

gregory18n
02-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Great adaptation;

but i'm still worried about:

1) Pitching (we need another quality starter)
2) Lead-off
(I hope we can find a good one that plays 2B or CF, Roberts or Tavares?)
3) Desire/Attitude

JoeClutch24
02-03-2008, 11:31 PM
1)Pitching
2)Detroit
3)Kenny Williams

soxfanreggie
02-04-2008, 12:02 AM
1. Pitching, especially starting
2. 1 and 2 spots setting the table for a 3 and 4 that hit
3. CF

SoxSpeed22
02-04-2008, 01:00 AM
1. Winning games
2. Starting pitching
3. Scoring runs

JB98
02-04-2008, 01:58 AM
1. Jose Contreras
2. Danks and Floyd
3. Middle relief

I think we'll score enough runs this year. The key is whether this pitching staff comes together. We need guys to rebound from bad years. We need young guys to step up.

Nellie_Fox
02-04-2008, 02:13 AM
http://steveproulx.typepad.com/steve_proulx/images/alfred_e_neuman.jpgWhat, me worry?

Tragg
02-04-2008, 10:08 AM
1)Starting pitching.
2)Whether Williams' OBP philosophy of acquring talent (Richar, Quinten, Swisher all OBP players) can blend with the manager's, at most, neutrality on OBP. These players have got to do their thing - no swinging at everything - to be effective. Swisher's a vet, he will.....it's the other 2 that are key.