PDA

View Full Version : cub attendance..someone please help me here

baggio202
04-22-2002, 02:12 AM
they said attendance today was 29k and some change...i watched between innings to see how many showed up...behind home plate to 1st and 3rd base was about half full...no one was down either foul in the outfield..the bleachers were pretty full...i figured they had about 17-18k...a cub fan i know was there today and said he estimated attendance at 11 to 12k....i know in the past national league announce tickets sold and american league announced turnstiles turned...but i thought a few years ago both leagues were suppose to announce only those who attended...cause i hate hearing scrub fans bring up attendance saying we had 29k yesterday and the sox only 14k..haha...when it just aint true

anyone know what the deal is on how they are counting attendance this year???

MarqSox
04-22-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

anyone know what the deal is on how they are counting attendance this year???

I'm 99.9% sure they announce paid attendance, not actual attendance.

DrCrawdad
04-22-2002, 07:50 AM
From what I've heard, in the past the NL used to use the turnstile count. However as has been evident in just about every Cub home game so far - the Cubs now use tickets sold.

When I'm tuned into their games I've heard Chipper talk about the "another huge crowds". The scary thing is that many Cub fans are now probably convinced that those empty green seats are actually Cub fans.

GASHWOUND
04-22-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
The scary thing is that many Cub fans are now probably convinced that those empty green seats are actually Cub fans.

Heh, funny :)

sox_fan_4life
04-22-2002, 08:00 AM
The scary thing is that many Cub fans are now probably convinced that those empty green seats are actually Cub fans.

What's really scary is that those empty green seats are smarter than most cub fans.

Tragg
04-22-2002, 08:48 AM
With that team they are throwing on the field now, they can't win many more than 70, if that. If they get some players back, maybe 76. It's basically Lieber and hope Sammy hits a home run. Even those empty seats will get tired of that - maybe they'll pick up and leave and we'll see a bunch of cement (or whatever that place is built out of).

Cheryl
04-22-2002, 09:05 AM
I was stuck in a car with a cub fan yesterday who insisted on turning on the game. The radio announcers were complaining about...attendance! Whoever they are (Santo maybe?) was saying things like "Look at all the empty seats. No way there's 29,000 people here." Whoever the other guy is said something about the number of no-shows for a Sunday afternoon game.

So yeah, they count paid attendance, not how many people are actually there.

rmusacch
04-22-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I was stuck in a car with a cub fan yesterday who insisted on turning on the game. The radio announcers were complaining about...attendance! Whoever they are (Santo maybe?) was saying things like "Look at all the empty seats. No way there's 29,000 people here." Whoever the other guy is said something about the number of no-shows for a Sunday afternoon game.

So yeah, they count paid attendance, not how many people are actually there.

Both leagues count paid attendance now. I think the AL used to count turnstile count.

Chisox353014
04-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Here we go again - this from the "Quick Hits" column in today's Cub-Times: "Here's hoping the attendance clause in Sox center fielder Kenny Lofton's contract is for Jerry Reinsdorf's other team. ... Speaking of attendance, any team that draws a crowd smaller than the Expos' in Montreal ought to become an immediate candidate for contraction. The Sox came close Sunday (13,619 to Expos' 11,672)."
:angry: Nice. our hometown paper is now suggesting we should be contracted. No mention that it was 40 degrees and snowing yesterday while Montreal plays indoors, or that the Flubs crowd was actually comprised of the same amount of live humans as ours. Should we contract them too? Feel free to email this moron and express your opinion.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/quickhits/cst-spt-1hit22.html

moochpuppy
04-22-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
With that team they are throwing on the field now, they can't win many more than 70, if that. If they get some players back, maybe 76. It's basically Lieber and hope Sammy hits a home run. Even those empty seats will get tired of that - maybe they'll pick up and leave and we'll see a bunch of cement (or whatever that place is built out of).

I'm betting PHG is hoping some of those green seats start heading south. :smile:

Iwritecode
04-22-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Here we go again - this from the "Quick Hits" column in today's Cub-Times: "Here's hoping the attendance clause in Sox center fielder Kenny Lofton's contract is for Jerry Reinsdorf's other team. ... Speaking of attendance, any team that draws a crowd smaller than the Expos' in Montreal ought to become an immediate candidate for contraction. The Sox came close Sunday (13,619 to Expos' 11,672)."
:angry: Nice. our hometown paper is now suggesting we should be contracted. No mention that it was 40 degrees and snowing yesterday while Montreal plays indoors, or that the Flubs crowd was actually comprised of the same amount of live humans as ours. Should we contract them too? Feel free to email this moron and express your opinion.

What, you expect unbiased coverage for the Sox from any Chicago paper? You should know better by now...

Notice besides leaving out the the weather and the indoor/outdoor staduim comparison they don't mention that 11,000 is probably a good turnout for the Expos. 13,000 is really bad for the Sox because the attendance depends on walkups. I really wish some of these local media idiots would take the time to actually look at the number of people who showed up to the game instead of reading the paid attendance. I'm willing to bet the Sox and Cubs attendance would be much closer every year...

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2002, 11:54 AM

That can only be the drivel of a Flubs fan. Anyone who can't factor in the brutal weather this past weekend into attendance ought to just get out of the sports reporting business entirely. If the Flubbies didn't count their season ticket holders, their attendance would have ranked similarly to the Sox.

Nice to see that the paper not owned by the same company that owns our crosstown rivals has it in for the Sox as well. Just peachy.

Cheryl
04-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Nice to see that the paper not owned by the same company that owns our crosstown rivals has it in for the Sox as well. Just peachy.

Of course the Scum Times does. That's where the Jayster gets his drivel published too.

Just another reason to never buy nor read the paper, and to let businesses know I won't be a customer of a place which advertises in the Scum Times.

doublem23
04-22-2002, 12:40 PM

http://abclocal.go.com/images/wls_bio_markgiangreco.jpg
If they're not Cub fans, what are they, smart guy?

Mathew
04-22-2002, 02:45 PM

It is that stupid concrete indoor stadium that keeps people away every other day. Take some poorly attended games in the snow with salt and enjoys the hot Sunday afternoons outdoors, Sox fans.