PDA

View Full Version : Who went to the last game at the old park?

Phil Bradley
02-01-2008, 02:42 AM
I was there with my dad. I was only 8 years old when I went. I remember that we got the tickets from my dad's insurance broker. He was at our house in Homewood in late August or early September and he mentioned that he was going. I think I said something along the lines of "oh can I go"? and my dad got embarassed but a few days later, 2 tickets came in the mail We sat in the lower deck in the right field. I remember we drove downtown and took the Red Line in and when the conductor said "next stop 35th Street, everyone cheered. We bought the program that had the drawing of Fisk looking back at the field with all the ghosts of Sox past and got one of those "last season at Comiskey Park" shirts for my aunt. I remember them handing out the certificate that you could glue your ticket stub to. (I still have that) I don't remember much about the game. I remember going to get one of those delicious tacos that they had at the old park that didn't make it to the new stadium. I remember seeing a few empty seats in the left field corner upper deck and wondering why they didn't show up. I vaugely remember Harold Renolyds grounding out and just standing there with my dad and everyone else for what must have been an hour and the cops on horseback and the players coming out and shaking hands. Like the slogan of the '90 season said, "someday you'll say you were there." We also saw the first game at the new park but 16 -0 doesn't conjure up as many good memories. GD Frank Tanana and Cecil Fielder. Wow that was a long post.

BainesHOF
02-01-2008, 03:23 AM
I was there. My dad and I sat in the center field bleachers, which is where we sat for the '83 All-Star Game. As I remember, it was a pretty nice day. Of course, it was a shame that it was the last game in the old park, but it was too bad that wonderful 1990 season had to end as well. That one was one of my favorites with the way that team hustled and got the most out of its talent. It was cool that the players paraded around the field after the final out. Carlton Fisk in particular lingered and connected with the fans. We left soon after the players left the field. There was no use prolonging a funeral.

WhiteSox5187
02-01-2008, 03:37 AM
I was at the last night game, so that was the day before. I was three years old and my aunt had a party at her place where I had Cracker Jack...there are pictures of me there so that helps enhance my memory but one thing I remember very clearly was touching the bricks as we walked into the park, I remember the darkness of the ramps and being scared as we walked to our seats, I remember the noise of the park (which scared the beejesus out of me) at some point the fireworks went off and I made my mom and dad leave early...but before we left I asked them to drive around the park (which I would always make them do, anytime we drove down the Dan Ryan they'd have to pull over at 35th Street so we could drive around Old Comiskey and I'd always say "It doesn't look so dilipidated to me!") and I remember the big green C that was underneath the window...finally I remember driving home in the Volvo and as we turned on Bell there were fireworks over Kellogg and I thought "Oh wow, you can see the fireworks all the way from here!" That was my first baseball game, and my earliest memory.

TheCommander
02-01-2008, 07:01 AM
I was at the last night game, so that was the day before. I was three years old and my aunt had a party at her place where I had Cracker Jack...there are pictures of me there so that helps enhance my memory but one thing I remember very clearly was touching the bricks as we walked into the park, I remember the darkness of the ramps and being scared as we walked to our seats, I remember the noise of the park (which scared the beejesus out of me) at some point the fireworks went off and I made my mom and dad leave early...but before we left I asked them to drive around the park (which I would always make them do, anytime we drove down the Dan Ryan they'd have to pull over at 35th Street so we could drive around Old Comiskey and I'd always say "It doesn't look so dilipidated to me!") and I remember the big green C that was underneath the window...finally I remember driving home in the Volvo and as we turned on Bell there were fireworks over Kellogg and I thought "Oh wow, you can see the fireworks all the way from here!" That was my first baseball game, and my earliest memory.

You used that word as a toddler?:?:

Juice16
02-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I was there too. I just started 8th grade. I sat on the third base line, about half way up on the lower deck. I still will never forget singing na-na-na-na for the last time.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-01-2008, 08:13 AM
I was there, upper deck in right field with my brother. We looked for every conceivable way to help ourselves to a sign or two before we walked out....too many police and Andy Frain's.

Steelrod
02-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Call me cold, but I don't miss the old park at all. I was there but got a greater kick out of the first game at the new park.

chisox77
02-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I wasn't there.

:cool:

Bobbo35
02-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I was there with my dad and my grandfather. I was 9 years old at the time. I can remember it well though

RedPinStripes
02-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I was there. It took me about 10 years to get over that park. I didn't like the new park until around 2001 and still feel the new park should not have been named Comiskey park either. Comiskey Park closed in 1990. It was uncomfortable, dirty, crowded, couldn't see half the field from some seats, and the list goes on. For many reasons I really loved that park.

What I miss the most as a kid was the anticipation of seeing the field. When you walked along the side of the building, you could see fans walking up and down the ramps or sitting in their seats. You walk into the park and not far from the gate were stairs to sections behind home plate. That was the most exciting part for me from 5 until I was 14 when they tore it down. Just the walk up the stairs . Every step was closer to the field and finally I'd get the view of the field and the 1910 architecture with a tv on an I-beam in every section because something was blocking the view in almost every part of that park.

Bottom line, there's not a bad seat in the new park. It's a great place to watch a game.

I went to Tiger Stadium the last year it was open to the Tigers just to "say I was there" and I sat behind an I-beam for an inning just to get a memory.

As stupid as that post is, every bit of it's true. I feel like I just wrote a rejected scene from a Kevin Kostner movie.

Frater Perdurabo
02-01-2008, 09:33 AM
There's nothing like your first love. I wasn't at the last game, but I did go to several games during that memorable 1990 season. Reading these memories brought up my own fond remembrances.

:threadrules:

skottyj242
02-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I was at the last two games, I was 11. I was sick as a dog and my dad didn't want to take me but I said that there was no way I was missing those games. So the night game I cuddled up in a blanket and huddled with my mom because I was freezing. We were somewhere in the way upper deck down third base. I was still sick for the very last game but I had to go to underneath the bleachers to get one of the snow cone drink things that were just shaved ice and colored sugar but I thought they were the best things ever.

I loved the old park with all it's flaws and smells. It could have been the dirtiest place I was allowed to hang out in let alone eat in. It was really weird, and I don't know if it was because it was safer times or what but my dad would let me and my friends just run around in that place and never thought a thing about it. We used to get up in third inning and my dad would give me like five bucks and we would go all the way around the stadium to get something to eat. We always made it back.

soxfan21
02-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I went to one game the last season that old Comiskey was open. My dad taped both the last night game, and the last game at Old Comiskey. Something nice to look back on.

paciorek1983
02-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I was there! Awesome day but sad as well.

jamteh
02-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I was there. I sat behind the right field foul poll. If my memory serves me correctly, Big Frank was the last member of the White Sox to get a hit in the old park, and I was very happy about that at the time. Still am.

tebman
02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
I was there with my sons, who were 5 and 8 years old. At that time I was part of a group where I worked that shared in four full-season tickets. As I recall, the deal was that season-ticket holders were entitled to buy two or three tickets for the final game for every season seat. Most of the other guys chose not to go to the last game for some reason, so I was able to score three tickets for me and my boys. They were wildly different seat locations, but I didn't care because I just wanted to get in the gate -- I knew we'd be prowling around much of the game anyway.

Remarkably, both of my sons remember being there even though they were so young. I wouldn't have missed it. The old park's time was up, and I understood that, but I wanted to say goodbye and I wanted my kids to have some memory of it as well.

I was surprised at how many cops were there at the end of the game. I don't know what they expected to happen, but it was like a Sunday-school crowd compared to most games I'd been to.

I was at the first game in the new park the next year and felt out of place, as if I'd crashed somebody else's wedding reception. I was uneasy for the first couple of innings (and even more so the way the Sox played that day), until the fourth, when the Sox finally got the the third out after the Tigers scored 10 runs. There was a loud, sarcastic cheer and applause that I recognized right away from my years in the old park. It hit me then that the hardboiled fans I knew hadn't left, the Sox were still here, and that life would be okay. :cool:

Thigpen "57"
02-01-2008, 11:18 AM
I was fortunate enough to make the last game and the last night game as well. I was 11 years old. Not much I specifically remember from the game, except that it felt like we were there for hours after it ended. There was a certain air or vibe that I can still feel as I type this. All those police and the players on the field.

Other than that, there are just a bunch of fragments from different experiences at the park that just melt together as one giant Old Comiskey montage.

I like RedPinStripes commentary about the rejected scene from a Kevin Costner movie!:D:

roylestillman
02-01-2008, 11:31 AM
You folks are making me feel pretty damn old.(I was 33 in 1990)I was at the last two games - the last night, which was a party and the last game on Sunday, which was a funeral. The fireworks show for the last night game was the best ever put on at the old park. They rigged the old light standards with fireworks that blew off just like the when the light standards blew up after being hit by the ball in "The Natural" They also had redflares that shot off all along the roof liine of the park.

The Sunday game was depressing, because you knew it would be the last time you see the old girl. I had some of the best times over the course of thirty years in that place and it was like losing an old friend. For about a year I'd wake up with reoccuring dreams about being back there. After the last out, the calvary (mounted police) were released from the centerfield bullpen, but nobody charged the field like they had feared. The players came out and did a farewell lap in their brand new uniforms - the same ones they wear today

soxinem1
02-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I was there. I sat behind the right field foul poll. If my memory serves me correctly, Big Frank was the last member of the White Sox to get a hit in the old park, and I was very happy about that at the time. Still am.

Not only that, I believe Frank hit the last Sox HR in Comiskey as well.

I was at the last game. I was actually at the last season. I never intended to have a streak as long as I did, but I went to every game from May 1989 until May 1991.

I didn't intend to have the 1990 streak go as long as it did, but I had a funny feeling about the 1990 season before it began.

There was a ST lock out that year, and Larry Himes, then the GM, optioned almost the entire starting rotation and several players to AAA so they could still get a full ST.

Once the lockout ended, there was a brief ST and teams were allowed extra roster spots for the first month of the season.

But that team played so well, fought so hard, and showed so much heart I woke up one day and discovered that I had not missed a game. As a tribute to Comiskey Park, and the 1990 team, I kept going.

Even the nine hour rain delay against TEX was not missed.

Additionally, I went to KC, MIL, and MIN to see the White Sox that year. All while working AND going to school full-time.

But one problem arose.....

I originally thought in September my brother's wedding was while they were on the road, but it turned out the weekend of the wedding our Sox hosted a four game set with BOS at Comiskey(which the White Sox swept!!).

This was a problem, so I showed up in a tux to keep the string alive, then went back to the Palmer House after the game ended!!!!! I made the scoreboard between innings and caught a good razzing from the relief corps that night.

I never regretted it. But by May 1991, I was burned out. Plus, I thought the new place was a concrete hole, I had to study for my LSAT that summer, so I put the streak to rest.

But I can recall something from EVERY game in that great 1990 season. It was a total blast!!

Chez
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I was there in the upper deck in leftfield. It was great to see the players take a victory lap after the game to top off a terrific season.

thedudeabides
02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I was at the last night game. Upper deck left field. A great way to see the park out.

My memory may be clouded, but didn't Griffey and his Dad play in the same outfield that night?

I also remember, my friends Dad got crapped on by one of the birds who lived in the upper deck. My friend and I were only 12, so we thought that was one of the funniest things we ever saw.

Jaffar
02-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I wasn't there but I have a cool poster that was available at the new park the next year. Right now it's framed in a closet but will be up as soon as my bar is done. (sorry it's a little off topic but thought I'd mention it, maybe it's my (never went to the final game at old comiskey envy..lol)

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/00/95/74/7d_1.JPG

thomas35forever
02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I never went there (I was only a year old when it closed), but my parents went to the last night game. I've been told that they toured the park after the game ended and that my dad was crying. All these posts make me wish I could go back in time and purchase a ticket to just ONE GAME at that place.

Law11
02-01-2008, 01:21 PM
I was there for the whole weekend.
I have to admit I stole a slat from my seat on the last day.
Took some prying but we were in the last row lower deck left field against the arches so no one saw us.

Leaving though was tricky, thank God is was a bit cool out. We all had jackets on so we slid the slats into our pants and zipped up the jackets.

There were cops all the way to DeLaSalle so we couldnt open them up until we got to the car.

I have it in a glass frame next to my World Series stuff and my new brick.

Law11
02-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I was at the last night game. Upper deck left field. A great way to see the park out.

My memory may be clouded, but didn't Griffey and his Dad play in the same outfield that night?

I also remember, my friends Dad got crapped on by one of the birds who lived in the upper deck. My friend and I were only 12, so we thought that was one of the funniest things we ever saw.

That last night game was awesome... Once the lights went out 40k people singing Na, na, na na a cappella. Sent chills up your spine.
And the greatest fireworks display Ive ever witnessed.

stl_sox_fan
02-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Was there sitting in right field. Senior in high school and took a "Personal Day" from my job. Didn't get in too much trouble when I explained what the "Personal" part was.
I still remember the eerie feeling looking into the partially demolished Old Comiskey on my first trip to New Comiskey.

Still got my "Thanks for the Memories" shirt!

DumpJerry
02-01-2008, 01:41 PM
I was at the last night game. The fireworks were phenomenal. I have a picture of them in my dinning room. I went with my buddy who was living in Minnesota at the time. He and I grew up at Comiskey. I told him that they were all over the news about people stealing pieces of the park, especially the wood slats from the seats and they were on the lookout. He and I joked about bringing a socket wrench with us so we could take one of the infamous posts. We were going to tell the cops "I told my kid he could have one!" as we lug a 12 ton I beam out of the park.

The Griffeys played together in the last game, not the night game.

It felt like a funeral all season long that year. My four years of high school were the same years Veeck owned the team. During the Veeck years, my friends and I would pay the $2.00 (later $3.00) for a general admission ticket and sit in the front row of the Right Field Upper Deck. Veeck never sold those seats even though they were reserved. When I take friends to games these days who were not around back then, I point to my old seats and wax poetic. They tell me I'm pointing at thin air over the parking lot, but I can clearly see my old seats.......:smile:

TomBradley72
02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Call me cold, but I don't miss the old park at all. I was there but got a greater kick out of the first game at the new park.

I was at the last game...a perfect final game....clear skies, early fall weather, White Sox had recently switched to their current uniforms...and like many 1990 games...very well played.

As for the 1st game at "New Comiskey"...I'd have to say that was the worst time I have EVER had at a White Sox game (I've probably attended about 250+ games)...the game itself was horrible (16-0 loss to the Tigers)...but the park itself was such a complete disappointment after the old park.

An endless sea of bland/gray concrete, plastic blue seats, a very generic/sterile environment with virtually no connection to the history of the franchise, the South Side, or the old ballpark. They finally got it right after the recent renovations...but the early years of the park it was a notch above domes or the "cookie cutter" stadiums..but that was about it.

Cuck the Fubs
02-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I was at the final night game with my bride to be...........

And yes I wept....my dad took me to my 1st ballgame there, and I saw many more.

I am hoping that my kids will grow up to feel the same way for the cell.

It was a great park that held alot of memories for me and always will.

WhiteSox5187
02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
You used that word as a toddler?:?:
Yea, haha, I was a strange kid. My parents kept telling me that they had to tear it down because it was dilipidated, but I thought the unfinished new park looked much more dilipidated...that was probably the last time I said dilipidated until now.

PaleHoser
02-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I was at the last game...a perfect final game....clear skies, early fall weather, White Sox had recently switched to their current uniforms...and like many 1990 games...very well played.

As for the 1st game at "New Comiskey"...I'd have to say that was the worst time I have EVER had at a White Sox game (I've probably attended about 250+ games)...the game itself was horrible (16-0 loss to the Tigers)...but the park itself was such a complete disappointment after the old park.

An endless sea of bland/gray concrete, plastic blue seats, a very generic/sterile environment with virtually no connection to the history of the franchise, the South Side, or the old ballpark. They finally got it right after the recent renovations...but the early years of the park it was a notch above domes or the "cookie cutter" stadiums..but that was about it.

Agreed. I cried like a baby at the first game in the new park because of well, just about everything. Nothing can take the place of "The Baseball Palace of the World" in my heart.

I was at Opening Day and the final game in 1990. I missed the last night game because I had to attend a wedding - my wife was part of the bridal party so I had to go. I still have my unused tickets! Fortunately, the couple that got married are still together.

One of my enduring memories of that season was the Andy Hawkins no-hitter, which he lost 4-0 on Comiskey Park's 80th birthday, July 1, 1990. That game was too perfect - the Yankees throw a no-hitter and still manage to lose.

I miss the smell of the old park. There was nothing quite like it, both good and bad. And man, the loge box seats were the BEST!!!

RhubarbStew
02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
My two older brothers and I were at that last game. It's a memory I treasure even more since one of my brothers passed away. I was 22. While driving up to the park, I was trying to take video of the outside with my old VHS camera. I started to spill from the glass bottle of juice I had with me onto the camera and unthinking tossed the bottle out the car window. When I heard a crash and saw a police wagon I got worried. At the next intersection, the wagon pulled up and in seconds we had our hands on the car being searched and asked, "What the **** suburb are you from?" My only worry was that we'd miss the game. Thankfully they let us go and I've got great memories of that day.

KenBerryGrab
02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
I was in the left-field upper deck. The best moment was when Fisk walked past the cops on horseback to shake hands with the fans.

palehosepub
02-01-2008, 05:33 PM
I was 28 in 1990, I went with my brother, I remember how much I wanted to be there and yet how much I didn't because it meant the end, really a bittersweet experience. We went to a lot of games at the old ballpark over the years but the final game was the first time we went to the gates before it opened. We explored the ballpark one final time before the big crowds got there. It was amazing how you could still find something you never saw before - an odd hallway, a new nook or cranny etc.

I remember hanging out behind the plate in the UD where Nancy played the organ, there was a group of us talking to her before the game and she was talking about her favorite memories and then she just broke down and started to cry. Talk about a heavy moment...

After the game I was proud how us Sox fans gave the Old Lady a classy send off. Nobody ran on the field, every one sang hey hey na na etc. I remember Fisk running around the outfield shaking the outstretched hands of fans, the Trib used a photo of that on the front page the next day, it is probably my favorite White Sox photo.

The day ranks up there with game 2 of the 2005 World Series as my favorite day at the ballpark.

RadioheadRocks
02-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Went to the last three in the old park and the first two in the new park.

StillMissOzzie
02-01-2008, 09:12 PM
We popped for the "20 Game Winner" package that year (a few years pre-children) and I got tickets for the whole final weekend. They handed out "parchment" certificates that serve as proof you were there for the final game, and I have mebbe 15 or 20 autographs on it.

Somewhere in this hovel, I have a 35mm film can full of warning track dirt that I busted a gut leaning over the low wall on the 3B side of the LF corner to procure.

And after the final game, I cried.

SMO
:(:

RedPinStripes
02-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I like RedPinStripes commentary about the rejected scene from a Kevin Costner movie!:D:

I get one good line a year. :D:

MeteorsSox4367
02-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I was 23 in 1990 and got to go to the Wednesday night home game against Minnesota with my Dad and a good friend of mine. We sat in the lower deck in left and it was a photo night where fans were allowed on the warning track in the outfield to take pictures. I remember taking a picture of the new park seemingly overshadowing the real Comiskey.

My friend also took a neat picture of me and my Dad standing on 35th and Shields with the real Comiskey as the backdrop.

As we were leaving, there was a man with his son, who was probably about five at the time. They got to the left field corner outside the park, the guy said "Wait a minute" to his son, walked up to the ballpark, kissed the bricks and said, "OK. We can go home now."

I remember telling my Dad how cool that was as we drove home.

I work a couple blocks east of the ballpark and drive past it every day on the way home. I still think about the Old Comiskey and all the great memories of being there to watch the Sox (and even the Sting).

Seven years ago, on my first day at my current job, I stopped and said a short prayer where home plate at Comiskey was. Even now, when the movie "Only The Lonely" is on cable, I still get choked up watching the scenes at Old Comiskey.

madisonsoxfan
02-02-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm really enjoying reading the memories of the last game, last series, and last year of Comiskey.

I didn't get to go to a lot of games as a kid, but I managed to be lucky enough to go to the last game at Comiskey. I was 13 and went with my childhood friend and his dad. We were in left field and I took lots of pictures with a terrible camera. :tongue: I remember the win, I remember the Sox players making the lap around the field, and I remember my friend's dad's car was towed due to the "special" parking spot he found. :?:

I taped the last night game. I remember the crowd singing NaNaHeyHey on their own after the lights were turned off. Sends chills. :cool:

chisoxjtrain
02-02-2008, 03:04 AM
I don't remember it but I was there. I was 2 years old back then, but we still have the tape of the game.

TheVulture
02-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I was there - my family shared season tickets that year up in the Nancy Faust section - that was the best year ever. I cried that last game, I really loved that place. I still dream to this day of being there - often it's a crumbling overgrown ruin I sneak into, where I find some underground speakeasy type establishment where they serve Italian beef and you can sit in the bleachers. And then I wake up sad. Call me a sad sentimentalist if you want, but there was nothing like exploring the labrynth under the stands as a kid. And the noise that could be generated in that place! It was incredible feeling that place shake. Going to a game at these new parks is nothing like it. And you'll never see players crossing the concourse at the new Comiskey!

LITTLE NELL
02-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Went to the last Friday night game, had to work that Sunday. That being said my 1st game was in 1954 and I have so many great memories of the place, I even worked there in 1962 as a vendor. It was truly a classic baseball park and I really miss it.

KenBerryGrab
02-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm not a big John Cougar Melonhead fan, but when his singing "the walls came tumbling down" played during the last-night fireworks, I was bawling like a baby.