PDA

View Full Version : Mets/Santana extension talks thread

doublem23
01-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Since Johan Santana had previously said he'd use his no-trade clause to kill any deal to a team that wouldn't give him a contract extension he is seeking (6 years, $150 million), this is an interesting and potentially worrisome news bit from ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3224116).

Is the trade official, or can Johan still back out, leaving him in the Central and leaving the Mets looking like cheap *******s?

:praying:

Take the money, Johan, and get the hell out of our division!

KenBerryGrab
01-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Is the trade official, or can Johan still back out, leaving him in the Central and leaving the Mets looking like cheap *******s?

He can definitely kill the deal if he doesn't agree to terms.

thedudeabides
01-31-2008, 12:51 PM
The Mets new what he wanted going in. I don't think they would have even had discussions with the Twins if they weren't willing to pony up the money.

This is all just a part of the negotiation process.

oeo
01-31-2008, 12:53 PM
They will get something done. I mean they have to, right? Omar Minaya will be run out of town if he doesn't get this extension done.

doublem23
01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
They will get something done. I mean they have to, right? Omar Minaya will be run out of town if he doesn't get this extension done.

That's what I would assume, but it's the ****ing Mets.

Jjav829
01-31-2008, 01:02 PM

Pretty much. Johan can basically name his price and the Mets have to accept it. I would imagine Mets fans are going crazy right now, thinking they have landed arguably the best starting pitcher in baseball. Adding Johan to Pedro, Maine, El Duque and Pelfrey/Perez gives them a rotation that can take them to the World Series. Add in the fact that the Mets have a new stadium opening next year, and there's simply no way the Mets can afford to have this deal fall apart.

Kogs35
01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
theres no way that they dont come to an agreement. the mets have a new stadium opening up next season.

thedudeabides
01-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Pretty much. Johan can basically name his price and the Mets have to accept it. I would imagine Mets fans are going crazy right now, thinking they have landed arguably the best starting pitcher in baseball. Adding Johan to Pedro, Maine, El Duque and Pelfrey/Perez gives them a rotation that can take them to the World Series. Add in the fact that the Mets have a new stadium opening next year, and there's simply no way the Mets can afford to have this deal fall apart.

I can't see this falling apart. I can understand Minaya is going to try to keep the extension as short as possible. He already got burned by the Pedro signing. But, in the end Johan will get what he wants.

Hitmenof77
01-31-2008, 01:16 PM

Why is the new stadium such a big deal? The Mets already have their poster boy in David Wright, a player who plays everyday, not a starting pitcher you see every five days, for their new stadium. Yes Johan is the best pitcher in baseball the past 4-5 years. He should dominate the hell out of the sorry NL.

But they don't need a "draw" for their new stadium.

DSpivack
01-31-2008, 01:23 PM
Why is the new stadium such a big deal? The Mets already have their poster boy in David Wright, a player who plays everyday, not a starting pitcher you see every five days, for their new stadium. Yes Johan is the best pitcher in baseball the past 4-5 years. He should dominate the hell out of the sorry NL.

No, but their revenue show go up a LOT with the new stadium, which means they should be able to afford even higher payrolls, thus comes increased expectation of winning with a new stadium, etc.

skottyj242
01-31-2008, 01:25 PM

The NY Mets are my favorite squadron.

Jjav829
01-31-2008, 01:27 PM

It's not necessarily a draw for the stadium at this point; it's that you don't want your fans being pissed because you were cheap in trying to sign the best pitcher in baseball when asking them to fork over a bunch of money for tickets to your new stadium. You want your fans as satisfied as possible, so that they are all clamoring to get tickets to see the potential World Series champs open their new stadium. Remember the Mets are also coming off a huge collapse at the end of the 2007 season. They haven't done much at all this offseason. If they screw up the Johan deal, they're going to be looking at one seriously pissed off fan base, all at a time when they are trying to get people excited about about their new stadium.

Whether it's fair or not, if this deal falls through, there are going to be a ton of Mets fans saying "Why should I fork over all this money for season tickets in Citi Field when they're not willing to spend money to sign the best pitcher in baseball?"

It would be a PR nightmare for the Mets.

thedudeabides
01-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Your right, they will sell out no matter what once the new stadium opens. If they have Santana and get better, they will have even more demand, and can keep raising ticket prices. There is a definite benefit for the team.

palehozenychicty
01-31-2008, 01:39 PM
It'll get done. It has to.

skottyj242
01-31-2008, 01:54 PM

Don't forget about the guy that plays to his left.

Isn't that what we all said about Zito?

thedudeabides
01-31-2008, 02:06 PM

In my eyes, Santana is light years better than Zito.

Foulke You
01-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Did anyone catch that ESPN article that said that Kyle Lohse is their backup plan for Johan Santana?! You would go from Johan Santana to Kyle Lohse?!! :roflmao:

That's all you need to know that this deal will definitely get done. Minaya wouldn't be able to walk to streets of NY if he ended up not getting Santana and signing Kyle Lohse instead.

WizardsofOzzie
01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Not surprisingly Johan has got his sights aimed high

Santana's agents, Peter and Ed Greenberg, are believed to be looking for a six-year extension in the range of $150 million -- a figure that would include an upfront payment that would boost Santana's 2008 salary ($13.25 million) to beyond $20 million. The Mets, not surprisingly, differ on the dollars. But the biggest obstacle appears to be the length of the deal.Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3224116)

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1091/rodtidwellhr6.jpg

"Show me the money!"

WizardsofOzzie
01-31-2008, 04:54 PM
How the hell did I miss this thread? I need a beer

EndemicSox
01-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Johan has them by the balls, and he and his agent know it. This contract isn't going to be pretty...

BadBobbyJenks
01-31-2008, 06:44 PM

Who said that about Zito? I remember laughing hysterically at the contract the Giants handed him.

soxfanreggie
01-31-2008, 08:31 PM
$150 million...I'm not sure if he can feed his family for that!

I think you'd find a few AL Central teams willing to chip in a little bit to get this deal done. Would hate to see what this deal will do to Mets' ticket prices.

ksimpson14
02-01-2008, 01:19 AM
The Mets were lucky about the Mitchell Report, they were getting pounded before the whole thing about Clemens, about their collapse, about how you heard nothing from them, were hardly mentioned in the paper anymore, getting rid of LoDuca, etc. They need to get this done

Fenway
02-01-2008, 11:37 AM
WFAN says the deal is in doubt now. Santana TURNED DOWN 22 Million a year for 5 years :o:

KyWhiSoxFan
02-01-2008, 12:06 PM
WFAN says the deal is in doubt now. Santana TURNED DOWN 22 Million a year for 5 years :o:

This figures to be his last contract, so he wants 6 years. And he will probably get it from someone (that is, either the Red Sox or Yankees). Johan is can dictate the tenor of the discussions and which teams he wants to talk to because he can. He can always play out this year and then negotiate with every team (well, those that can afford $150-million) and create a bidding war. At that point, a team would not have to give away players to get him, an attractive proposition.

Fenway
02-01-2008, 12:09 PM
This figures to be his last contract, so he wants 6 years. And he will probably get it from someone (that is, either the Red Sox or Yankees). Johan is can dictate the tenor of the discussions and which teams he wants to talk to because he can. He can always play out this year and then negotiate with every team (well, those that can afford $150-million) and create a bidding war. At that point, a team would not have to give away players to get him, an attractive proposition.

The Mets can not afford to blow this. If they can not sign him by 5 PM the PR hit they would take in enormous. This has been a big story in New York EVEN with the Super Bowl.

ma-gaga
02-01-2008, 12:18 PM

The Mets should know what it will take to sign him. This is simple; a 6 years, $120mm extension should do it. With his existing deal, that's essentially 7 years - $133mm total contract.

That's a steal.

the1tab
02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Minaya should just take what Carlos Zambrano got from Hendry and add 20% to the years and dollars....

Fenway
02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
The New York writers here are all buzzing that Santana has told the Mets no....

No confirmation on this but the NY writers are in shock

They still have 2 hours

russ99
02-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Wow, that would be a huge shock.

peeonwrigley
02-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Mets better not **** this up :rolleyes:

hi im skot
02-01-2008, 03:13 PM
(crosses fingers)

Fenway
02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Mets better not **** this up :rolleyes:

Mike and the Mad Dog are holding court on "radio row" and I'm sure the NFL is thrilled that this Santana saga is suddenly the big story in NY.

WFAN is the Mets flagship so if anybody knows wots up it is them.

thedudeabides
02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Mike and the Mad Dog are holding court on "radio row" and I'm sure the NFL is thrilled that this Santana saga is suddenly the big story in NY.

WFAN is the Mets flagship so if anybody knows wots up it is them.

Just like the Score always has the scoop on the Sox.

New York sports writers love to cause controversy. That deal is happening.

Fenway
02-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Just like the Score always has the scoop on the Sox.

It is hard to believe WFAN and WSCR are owned by the same company. (CBS)

No matter what happens by 5 PM the Mets will push the Super Bowl off the back pages in NY. NY is a baseball town first and always will be.

ESPN reporting

The Mets (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nym) and Johan Santana (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6441)'s agents continued to negotiate furiously Friday, as a 5 p.m. ET deadline to complete terms of a long-term contract bore down on them.

And as that deadline drew nearer, indications were that the key sticking point continued to be Santana's attempts to get the Mets to guarantee all six years of his contract extension, on top of the final year of his current contract.

According to baseball sources who have been monitoring the negotiations, the Mets' best hope to resolve that disagreement would be to offer to guarantee the sixth season if Santana's side would agree to accept fewer dollars per year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3226208

The Mets can not screw this up

PalehosePlanet
02-01-2008, 03:57 PM

I agree, there is no way the Mets can back out now. They'll look like total chumps if this falls through. Santana is holding all the cards; Minaya will have to cave in to his demands.

thedudeabides
02-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I agree, there is no way the Mets can back out now. They'll look like total chumps if this falls through. Santana is holding all the cards; Minaya will have to cave in to his demands.

Exactly. Santana's camp is just bargaining harder. He holds all the cards. He wants nothing to do with being in Minnesota anymore, so they'll have an agreement. It'll be interesting to see what the final numbers are.

Sockinchisox
02-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Newsday reporting it's close to being done.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spsantana0202,0,3116087.story

6 yrs, 22 mil per season with a 7 mil signing bonus.

Fenway
02-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Exactly. Santana's camp is just bargaining harder. He holds all the cards. He wants nothing to do with being in Minnesota anymore, so they'll have an agreement. It'll be interesting to see what the final numbers are.

Problem is the Mets have an owner who feels he was burned on the Pedro deal. Wilpon is still a very bottom line operator.

The PR hit would be massive.

Now how does this work....can the Twins then make a deal with someone else and the Mets are out if no deal is made? Is there any way the Mets get a second chance?

DSpivack
02-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Well, we already saw them blow one big lead down the stretch when it looked like they were going to win, so why not another?

Fenway
02-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Well, we already saw them blow one big lead down the stretch when it looked like they were going to win, so why not another?

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/2007/09/large_03mets.JPG

thedudeabides
02-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Problem is the Mets have an owner who feels he was burned on the Pedro deal. Wilpon is still a very bottom line operator.

The PR hit would be massive.

Now how does this work....can the Twins then make a deal with someone else and the Mets are out if no deal is made? Is there any way the Mets get a second chance?

And that's where their leverage falls apart. They have to make this deal happen.

Bucky F. Dent
02-01-2008, 04:12 PM
In the words of Alec Baldwin: "Get them to sign on the line that is dotted!":angry:

Fenway
02-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Think she was mad before?

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2007/10/01/gal_mets_19.jpg (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/galleries/mets_complete_collapse/mets_complete_collapse.html?c=17)

sox1970
02-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Mets knew what they were getting into when they made this trade. It'll get done.

Fenway
02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Mets knew what they were getting into when they made this trade. It'll get done.

This maybe the saddest picture of fans I have ever seen...Norman Rockwell couldn't match this

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2007/10/01/gal_mets_16.jpg (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/galleries/mets_complete_collapse/mets_complete_collapse.html?c=16)

Sockinchisox
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
A 2 hour extension has been granted.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080201&content_id=2361494&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

russ99
02-01-2008, 05:47 PM
This maybe the saddest picture of fans I have ever seen...Norman Rockwell couldn't match this

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2007/10/01/gal_mets_16.jpg (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/galleries/mets_complete_collapse/mets_complete_collapse.html?c=16)

As one who hates the Mets almost as much as the Cubs (NL Division Series 1986) this really cracks me up!

Sockinchisox
02-01-2008, 06:35 PM
It's done, Santana will be a Met, pending physicals

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/archives/2008/02/mets_johan_not.html

Edit: ESPN is reporting it now to.

sox1970
02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
:gulp:

CLR01
02-01-2008, 06:48 PM
It's done, Santana will be a Met, pending physicals

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/archives/2008/02/mets_johan_not.html

Edit: ESPN is reporting it now to.

But he told the Mets no.

Sockinchisox
02-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Rosenthal says it's a 6 year deal worth $137.5 mil on top of his contract for next year, making it a little south of a 7 year $150.75 mil contract.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7748102/Source:-Mets,-Santana-agree-to-extension

Frontman
02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
The Mets just became a very powerful pitching team with this move.

Glad to see him out of the AL, and especially the AL Central.

Foulke You
02-01-2008, 07:28 PM
So long Johan! May you never haunt us again except for a possible World Series matchup! :gulp:

SoxyStu
02-01-2008, 07:30 PM
The Mets just became a very powerful pitching team with this move.

Not powerful, but good. Look at their other starters...

Foulke You
02-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Not powerful, but good. Look at their other starters...
I agree. They are probably the best team in the NL right now with that move however, they still don't compare to the Red Sox, Angels, Tigers, or Tribe. The biggest problem with the Mets right now is the age of the rest of their pitching staff. They are depending a lot on the ancient El Duque and the injury prone and aging Pedro Martinez for a lot of innings. Adding Santana does give them more flexibility now with their starters and could move El Duque to the bullpen.

Anyone want to take a guess at Santana's win total for 2008 in the NL providing he stays healthy? I'm going with 23 wins for Johan.

DSpivack
02-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I agree. They are probably the best team in the NL right now with that move however, they still don't compare to the Red Sox, Angels, Tigers, or Tribe. The biggest problem with the Mets right now is the age of the rest of their pitching staff. They are depending a lot on the ancient El Duque and the injury prone and aging Pedro Martinez for a lot of innings. Adding Santana does give them more flexibility now with their starters and could move El Duque to the bullpen.

Anyone want to take a guess at Santana's win total for 2008 in the NL providing he stays healthy? I'm going with 23 wins for Johan.

Glad I just drafted him! :)

Domeshot17
02-01-2008, 08:06 PM
THANK GOD WE ONLY HAVE TO FACE HIM IN THE WORLD SERIES THIS YEAR

SoxandtheCityTee
02-01-2008, 08:42 PM
:bandance:

Buh-bye, Johann.

ksimpson14
02-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Nice. The Phillies handled the Mets (esp when it counted) last year, Johan pitching at Philly with their offense should be a nice matchup.

JohnTucker0814
02-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I didn't read the whole thread but it looks like they agreed on a 6 yr $137.5MM contract! Thats over $22MM per year!

Frater Perdurabo
02-02-2008, 12:30 PM

The Mets clearly have to be the favorite to win the NL East.

If they make it through the tough NL playoffs, though, it probably means that both Santana and Pedro are healthy and pitching well. If that's the case, they could win a World Series like the 2001 Diamondbacks - riding two incredible pitchers for two games each. It might go seven games, and they might be outscored in the series, but Santana and Pedro alone would have to give the Mets an opportunity to win four games.

Fenway
02-02-2008, 12:34 PM
as predicted it was the big story in NY this morning

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/02/02/gal_front_02_02.jpg (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/galleries/front_pages_/front_pages_.html?c=1)

palehozenychicty
02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
In my mind, the wild card in the Mets staff is Pelfrey. They can't count on Duque or Pedro to give them 40 starts this season, and with the inconsistencies of Maine and Perez, he needs to step up this season. Johan will be great, but he still needs help. Sounds just like his old team. :D:

Jjav829
02-02-2008, 12:43 PM
The Mets clearly have to be the favorite to win the NL East.

If they make it through the tough NL playoffs, though, it probably means that both Santana and Pedro are healthy and pitching well. If that's the case, they could win a World Series like the 2001 Diamondbacks - riding two incredible pitchers for two games each. It might go seven games, and they might be outscored in the series, but Santana and Pedro alone would have to give the Mets an opportunity to win four games.

You're leaving out John Maine, who had a good first full season in the bigs, with 15 wins and a 3.91 ERA, and Oliver Perez, who had 15 wins and 3.56 ERA last year. Perez has always had the talent, but if he's finally able to stay healthy and consistently throw strikes, they're going to have one hell of a rotation.

They also have one of the best closers in the game in Wagner, and a potentially very good pen with some combination of Heilman, Feliciano, Burgos, Wise, Sosa, Smith, El Duque, etc.

Their lineup, looking something like Reyes-Castillo-Beltran-Wright-Delgado-Alou-Church-Scheider, is going to be in the top 10 in baseball.

They figure to be a pretty damn good team, regardless of league.

Sockinchisox
02-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Johan passed his physical. The trade will be official and Johan will be officially out of the AL later today.

Jerome
02-02-2008, 03:32 PM
I hope he goes on to be another Mike Hampton :D:

Lip Man 1
02-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Jayson Stark has a good column on how this is going to impact major league baseball:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3226745&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

Lip

Sockinchisox
02-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm just happy I can finally enjoy watching him pitch, I don't hate nor do I like the Mets but I always liked to watch him pitch, just not against us.