PDA

View Full Version : Quick Spring Training Help

Jerksticks
01-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Dear everyone-

I want to fly down to the AZ this year for a weekend to catch a game or two. I'd like to chat to anybody with experience doing this (about airfares, hotels, best ST stadiums, where to fly into). After the most basic of research, it seems like it's going to cost around 400-500 bucks for round trip weekend airfare. Is this the norm?

I don't know if we can open a forum for this, or if there is one, or private message me.. Whatever! I'd really appreciate anybody wanting to chop it up with me about this.

JSticks headed to the AZ.

cwsfannick
01-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I have gone out the past two years and flew Southwest and United respectively. Flight cost were in the $300 to $350 range. We stayed by the airport and those rooms went for $100 to $150 a night. Overall it ran me probably over $1000 for the trip.

The $400 to $500 airfare seems a bit high. Is that direct to Tucson non-stop. You may want to look into flying to Phoenix and making the drive down. You may find better airfaires.

roylestillman
01-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I booked my flight about a month ago on Southwest and got $248 round trip to Phoenix. Its much cheaper into Phoenix and there are more arrivals and departures at times that allow you to see games the day you land and the day you take off. The ride to Tucson is conservatively two hours. If you plan right you can catch the Sox up in the Phoenix area, too. None of the parks are more than about 40 minutes from the airport.

As for favorite stadiums - Surprise (that's the name of the town) where the Rangers and Royals play is the best. TEmpe Diablo for the Angels a close second.

C-Dawg
02-01-2008, 08:56 AM
I'll second the suggestion for flying to Phoenix. I pair $196 round trip including all taxes and fees, but this was two years ago. There were a LOT of flights to choose from. I've compared the drive down to Tucson to be similar to driving to Milwaukee except that everyone is doing 85-90 MPH the whole way.

I've stayed at the Motel 6 in Tucson; its on Benson Highway about 5 miles from TEP. I can't afford most of the places closer to the ballpark.

TDog
02-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Tucson isn't always more expensive than Phoenix, and sometimes when it is, the difference is minimal. And Tucson has a much more convenient airport than Sky Harbor. After opening this thread, a quick Internet search revealed roundtrip weekend flights from Chicago to both Phoenix and Tucson under $300, as fleeting as those fares may be. In January, I flew roundtrip to Tucson from Sacramento on a weekend, with a planned one-week stay, for under $200. When I had to extend my stay in Tucson, I found a hotel near the airport for about $70 a night.

The Internet gives you the ability to shop around and get great deals, but they are in constant flux.

spawn
02-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Go to palces like Travelocity, Orbitz, or Hotwire, and play around with the dates. I got my flight, hotel, and car rental for $521 through Hotwire.

btrain929
02-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Anyone down in Tucson already? When are you guys scheduled to go down there? I wanna get a little bit of an update/recap on how things go on down there before I head down there Mar 12th. Thanks in advance...