PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new Spring Training broadcast format

chisoxmike
01-30-2008, 02:48 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080130&content_id=2360014&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

The White Sox will televise 12 Cactus League games (10 on Comcast SportsNet and two on WGN). WSCR, the club's flagship radio station, will air five spring training games in their entirety and incorporate a new interactive format during four other games. The new format will feature the first three innings of games, followed by listener interaction with the broadcast team and guests. WSCR also will broadcast six "White Sox Live" talk shows, presented by Miller Lite, throughout spring training that will feature listener interaction.

These shows, which begin at 6 p.m. CT, will air on March 10, March 13, March 17, March 20, March 21 and March 24.

The first televised spring training game by Comcast SportsNet is on Monday, March 3 at 2:05 p.m. when the White Sox face the Kansas City Royals in Surprise, AZ. Comcast SportsNet also will air 7 p.m. replays of the spring training telecasts on March 3, March 6 and March 21.

CLR01
01-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Great, it's not enough we have to listen to Farmer and Singleton talk about whatever the hell it is they talk about during the games but we now get to listen to fans thoughts too. Fans who undoubtedly they will probably be the same idiots who call in to talk to North and the other bozo hosts the score employees.

103 screwball
01-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Nice amount of TV games. Radio will be intolerable.

skottyj242
01-30-2008, 03:22 PM
This is a dumb question but do they broadcast the spring training games online?

Law11
01-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Great, it's not enough we have to listen to Farmer and Singleton talk about whatever the hell it is they talk about during the games but we now get to listen to fans thoughts too. Fans who undoubtedly they will probably be the same idiots who call in to talk to North and the other bozo hosts the score employees.

On the line is Trucker Joe calling from the stevenson...
Joe youre on..
Joe?
"Joe: Um yeh first time caller...
Just wanted to know why Kenny couldn't get Torri Hunter and why people in the upper deck cant go down to the lower concourse...
Um..I'll hang up and listen to your response..."

Cant wait..

itsnotrequired
01-30-2008, 03:28 PM

Yes but I believe you need a Gameday Audio subscription from mlb.cooooom

jenn2080
01-30-2008, 03:33 PM

yes

skottyj242
01-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Yes but I believe you need a Gameday Audio subscription from mlb.cooooom

Isn't it usually free during spring training though?

itsnotrequired
01-30-2008, 03:40 PM

I'm not sure, I have a subscription.

jenn2080
01-30-2008, 03:59 PM

No it isnt. I always buy it.

skottyj242
01-30-2008, 04:05 PM

Maybe I should have bought myself XM then.

jenn2080
01-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Maybe I should have bought myself XM then.

Santa will be here soon:redneck

CLR01
01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
On the line is Trucker Joe calling from the stevenson...
Joe youre on..
Joe?
"Joe: Um yeh first time caller...
Just wanted to know why Kenny couldn't get Torri Hunter and why people in the upper deck cant go down to the lower concourse...
Um..I'll hang up and listen to your response..."

Cant wait..

Farmer: I'll take this one Chris...See I was golfing with Kenny Williams shortly after that whole situation played out and he told me that our round was possibly the best round of gold he ever played. I would have to agree with him too. Sunny day, warm with just a hint of a breeze, the fairways and greens were as perfect as the field at Notre Dame. You're awfully quiet over there Chris...not man enough to play golf?

Singleton:Ahhhh.....

Farmer: We have to go to break folks. Sox down two slams and a blast but the good guys will be coming to bat right after this.

BeeBeeRichard
01-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Farmer: ... Sox down two slams and a blastbut the good guys will be coming to bat right after this.

Thank goodness it's just a spring training game.
Was Contreras pitching?

davenicholson
01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the information! Can't wait to watch them on my tiny laptop screen:whiner: via my new Pinnacle PCTV to Go! :tongue:

TDog
01-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I've been to spring training games in Arizona. When I was a kid, I listened to them on the radio on weekends because that's the only time they were broadcast. I've watched spring training games on television. I don't see why anyone would want to watch or listen to a spring training game. Overall, exhibition games are rather pointless to watch or listen to if you're not actually at the game. And if your are there, it's not about the competition.

Lip Man 1
01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Boy they have sure dropped off on the amount of games they are doing in the spring. Just a few seasons ago, if memory serves, they showed basically every spring game on TV and over 20 on the radio.

Oh well.

Lip

anewman35
01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Boy they have sure dropped off on the amount of games they are doing in the spring. Just a few seasons ago, if memory serves, they showed basically every spring game on TV and over 20 on the radio.

Oh well.

Lip

There was one season that they showed almost every game, and I think that was because of the NHL season being canceled. Before that, they only used to show 2 or 3 games a season. It does seem like there are fewer radio games, though.

Frontman
01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
This radio format has trainwreck written all over it.......

cwsfannick
01-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Oh well.

Lip
A result of the NHL lockout.

Medford Bobby
01-30-2008, 09:07 PM
A result of the NHL lockout.
There was a hockey lockout???:o:

Lip Man 1
01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
For what it's worth according to the 07 media guide, the Sox had 14 radio games last spring.

Lip

cwsfannick
01-30-2008, 09:50 PM
There was a hockey lockout???:o:
If I remember correctly didn't the owners lock the players out.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Bad idea.

chisoxfanatic
01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Bad idea.

Agreed. I'd MUCH rather listen to SNR. :cool:

chisoxmike
01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Agreed. I'd MUCH rather listen to SNR. :cool:

Do they still do that?

RedPinStripes
01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Do they still do that?

Nope, really bad radio is officially dead.:D:

ws05champs
01-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Well I could always cover my TV with a sheet, leave the sound on and pretend it's the radio only, that Hawk and DJ are doing the radio broadcast too. I'm sure that the fans calling in will cut deeply into the golf talk unless that is the fans ask questions about golf.

EndemicSox
01-31-2008, 12:44 AM
This is good, imo....as the two radio guys bore me to death. Anything that adds energy to the show is good, and really, they can't get any worse...

johnr1note
01-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Nice amount of TV games. Radio will be intolerable. "Will be intolerable?" As long as Farmer is doing the play by play, and the games are broadcast on WSCR, White Sox radio will be UBER intolerable. Thank God I have XM, so I can listen to other side's broadcast when the Sox are on the road.

Farmer: I'll take this one Chris...See I was golfing with Kenny Williams shortly after that whole situation played out and he told me that our round was possibly the best round of gold he ever played. I would have to agree with him too. Sunny day, warm with just a hint of a breeze, the fairways and greens were as perfect as the field at Notre Dame. You're awfully quiet over there Chris...not man enough to play golf?

Singleton:Ahhhh.....

Farmer: We have to go to break folks. Sox down two slams and a blast but the good guys will be coming to bat right after this.

This is an unfair characterization of what Farmer would say. There is no reference to St. Rita, or that fact that pitchers are generally more intelligent than hitters.

DrCrawdad
01-31-2008, 09:22 AM

Oh well.

Lip

That's what I was thinking too. Perhaps it had something to do with the Sox trying to ride the popularity wave of the '05 World Championship. I sure enjoyed seeing so many ST games. Can't say I sat thru every inning of every game but I'd fast forward thru for the "highlights."

Viva Medias B's
01-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Is the game against the Cubs in Mesa televised (on WGN or Comcast with Kasper & Brenley) as well as the Civil Rights Game in Memphis against the Mets (on ESPN)?

Jerko
01-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Didn't they try something like this on TV (using SAP) that was god awful?????? When pre-season games start, I'm in baseball withdrawl so bad I just want to listen to a game. THE GAME...........not a bunch of morons calling in. This won't last after this year IMO.

Kogs35
01-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Is the game against the Cubs in Mesa televised (on WGN or Comcast with Kasper & Brenley) as well as the Civil Rights Game in Memphis against the Mets (on ESPN)?

civil rights game is on espn

Frontman
01-31-2008, 10:20 AM
This really smacks of trying to finally force Mike North into the booth.

EndemicSox
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
This really smacks of trying to finally force Mike North into the booth.

It's probably the only place where I could tolerate him, as there is no doubt he'd be canned by Reinsdorf within two weeks if the Sox start out cold...but it would a hell of a :trainwreck:

I think an inning, or two, of callers would be interesting...

chisoxmike
01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Didn't they try something like this on TV (using SAP) that was god awful?????? When pre-season games start, I'm in baseball withdrawl so bad I just want to listen to a game. THE GAME...........not a bunch of morons calling in. This won't last after this year IMO.

Yeah, in 2004. They did a "alternate" broadcast with college students and a Fox Sports Net host. I never heard it because my TV doesn't have a SAP button. But I heard it was bad. I believe the Sox lost every game that had the alternate broadcast.

doublem23
01-31-2008, 10:43 AM
This isn't really a big deal, since John Rooney left for the Cardinals, I haven't been able to listen to the Sox on the radio. I think I'd rather stick a drill in my ears.

KenBerryGrab
01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Somebody should ask Farmio whether we should remove our caps for "God Bless America."

Sad
01-31-2008, 11:52 AM

Oh well.

Lip

not sure if you are an XM subscriber, but last year there were more SOX ST games available with the opposing team's feed...

FedEx227
01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah, in 2004. They did a "alternate" broadcast with college students and a Fox Sports Net host. I never heard it because my TV doesn't have a SAP button. But I heard it was bad. I believe the Sox lost every game that had the alternate broadcast.

It was awful. It didn't even sound like these college students had any history or background in radio or television, it was just them kinda rambling and laughing.

It felt like they were just students on a field trip doing a "Do your own play-by-play" booth at some museum exhibit.

Bump34
01-31-2008, 12:44 PM
I just hope other MLB teams don't pick up on this idea...

johnnyg83
01-31-2008, 12:56 PM

You sure? IIRC, you could go directly to the SCR site and listen ... but only for Spring Training.

Tree Hate Me
01-31-2008, 01:06 PM
This is an unfair characterization of what Farmer would say. There is no reference to St. Rita, or that fact that pitchers are generally more intelligent than hitters.

You forgot about filling out the organ donor section on the back of your driver's license too.

duke of dorwood
01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Just another thing screwed up by being on 670. Gotta keep that garbage on the air they have every day. No wonder MJ&H kill them

btrain929
03-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I know it says how many games will be on 670, but how do we know which games they will air entirely? Is there a schedule of that somewher?

Frontman
03-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Just another thing screwed up by being on 670. Gotta keep that garbage on the air they have every day. No wonder MJ&H kill them

Because the average sports fan is a moron? That might be the reason 3 fat guys who think GPS should be outlawed, that doing a "Superfans" impression is good radio (oh wait, they aren't doing an impression. They really are that much of meatballs.)

Dan McNeil is the only reason to listen to that show. Harry should of been canned when WLUP sold the station to ESPN, and Jerko? No, I'm sorry. Anyone who is that stupid shouldn't have a radio show.

(That includes Mike North, Mike Murphy, and Matt Abattacola. Jason Goff too.)