PDA

View Full Version : Sean Casey to Boston?

Fenway
01-30-2008, 08:52 AM
The Boston Globe is hinting that former Tigers first baseman Sean Casey could be on his way to Boston

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/01/30/twins_have_met_their_match_for_santana?mode=PF

With the opening of camp Feb. 14, the Red Sox roster is all but settled. They made a strong run at free agent Brad Wilkerson as a backup outfielder/first baseman who hits from the left side, but Wilkerson is about to sign with Seattle, where he is expected to be an everyday player.

The Red Sox may settle for a lefthanded bat who can play first base, a good bet being 33-year-old Sean Casey, who last season played for the Tigers, batting .296 with 4 home runs and 54 RBIs. Casey has a career on-base percentage of .366 and is widely considered a tremendous teammate.

Oblong
01-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Then hire him as a coach.

The guy's defense is now overrated. He has an empty batting average. He runs, as Rod Allen said, like he's carrying a piano on his back.

He can only play one position. He can't run so late in the game you have to pinch run if his run is key. He has no power. I just don't see how he can add value. At least if had some power you could use him as a PH/defensive replacement. Last year he didn't hit his first HR until June 19. There were NL pitchers outslugging him.

He's a fantastic guy but not someone who should take up a roster spot for a championship team. Be prepared for an endless array of fly balls hit to Left Center where the fielder has to go back about 4 steps.

Iwritecode
01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
He runs, as Rod Allen said, like he's carrying a piano on his back.

He's the one that got thrown out at first from left field right?

soxinem1
01-30-2008, 10:57 AM
The Boston Globe is hinting that former Tigers first baseman Sean Casey could be on his way to Boston

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/01/30/twins_have_met_their_match_for_santana?mode=PF

Why???

FedEx227
01-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Oh yeah... by Pablo Ozuna of all people.

cburns
01-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Be prepared for an endless array of fly balls hit to Left Center where the fielder has to go back about 4 steps.

Wouldn't that be a double off the Monster?

oeo
01-30-2008, 11:14 AM
He runs, as Rod Allen said, like he's carrying a piano on his back.

Darrin Jackson loses it every time he sees Casey run. :lol:

Oblong
01-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Yes, it was a horrible thursday afternoon game. You guys spanked us. I remember listening to the game on the radio at work and following the game threads here and at my Tiger site. Someone here wrote "Casey grounded out to LF" and I just lost it. Words you never thought you'd type out in a sentence.

Wouldn't that be a double off the Monster?

That's interesting. I'll see if I can find a hitting chart because he really does hit a lot of balls like that. But they won't be doubles..... Casey's running!

He also does a leg kick when setting up to hit. Looks like either a horse getting ready to come out the gate or he's starting his Harley.

Chicken Dinner
01-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Darrin Jackson loses it every time he sees Casey run. :lol:

Isn't Paulie faster? :o:

DumpJerry
01-30-2008, 12:25 PM
He thought Crede fielded the ball, so he held up. Crede went along with the act and by the time Casey realized the ball went past Crede, it was too late.

Sucka.

batmanZoSo
01-30-2008, 01:34 PM
*avoids opening this Boston thread*

Fenway
02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Welcome to Boston Sean

The Red Sox today agreed to one-year, $800,000 deal with lefthanded hitting first baseman Sean Casey, pending a physical.

Casey will serve primarily in a backup role to Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis. Casey is known as "the mayor" around the major leagues because of his outgoing personality.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Oblong
02-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm guessing Bill James didn't have much say in this decision.