PDA

View Full Version : Pods to sign with Rox

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/29/rockies-finalizing-minor-league-deal-speedster-pod/

GregO23
01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Sucks for Pods, but great for the Rox. He should make the club

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 11:57 PM
I just realized the Rockies are coming to the Cell for IL, so maybe he'll play in that series, as long as he's on the team that is.

doublem23
01-30-2008, 12:01 AM
He's going to hit 10 home runs and we're going to hear nothing but KW *****ing.

manders_01
01-30-2008, 12:05 AM
This is very interesting - and very exciting. I'd love to see him on the team although I think his playing time would be very low.

RowanDye
01-30-2008, 12:06 AM

It doesn't help that he'll be competing for CF, he's much better suited for LF.

Kind of hard to believe that Pods is only 32 and is struggling to even get a tryout.

ilsox7
01-30-2008, 12:09 AM

Kind of hard to believe that Pods is only 32 and is struggling to even get a tryout.

When your game is speed and you cannot keep your legs healthy, your value is next to nothing.

manders_01
01-30-2008, 12:10 AM

He would have less competition if he was trying out for left - Taveras has two back-ups, Hawpe has none.

pjchisox13
01-30-2008, 12:19 AM
This is very interesting - and very exciting. I'd love to see him on the team although I think his playing time would be very low.
I agree he isn't going to play in front of Hawpe and Holliday that much and Taveras is their speedster right now. Be cool to see him play out here though.

MUsoxfan
01-30-2008, 01:44 AM

He's one of the more blessed players that ever lived. He was basically a career minor-leaguer that turned it on when he had a sniff of an MLB opportunity. The year after he was the main part of a deal for a big-time player, he hit a walk-off in the World Series. He's now a cult hero for the fanbase of a team that hadn't won anything since 1917.

He's done more than he probably ever dreamed of in baseball. It would be awesome if he played a few more years, but I doubt he'd be even a little disappointed about his career if he didn't. He got his opportunity, he got paid and he played a major part in winning a World Series.

oeo
01-30-2008, 02:32 AM

There's no way Pods survives in that massive centerfield.

Good luck to him, though; I hope he stays healthy and does well.

He's one of the more blessed players that ever lived. He was basically a career minor-leaguer that turned it on when he had a sniff of an MLB opportunity. The year after he was the main part of a deal for a big-time player, he hit a walk-off in the World Series. He's now a cult hero for the fanbase of a team that hadn't won anything since 1917.

Pods has a lot of underrated ability, it's just too bad he had to have the injury problems because he could have been a premier leadoff guy for a few more years.

batmanZoSo
01-30-2008, 03:28 AM
There's no way Pods survives in that massive centerfield.

Good luck to him, though; I hope he stays healthy and does well.

Pods has a lot of underrated ability, it's just too bad he had to have the injury problems because he could have been a premier leadoff guy for a few more years.

Yeah he was always pretty effective when he was healthy. A great base stealer and a competent enough bat to keep him in the lineup. He wasn't just a schmo who had one fluke year.

spawn
01-30-2008, 08:13 AM
I wish him luck. He was a big contributor on the '05 team. Too bad he has the injury issues. I wish him nothing but the best.

nccwsfan
01-30-2008, 08:46 AM
I wish him luck. He was a big contributor on the '05 team. Too bad he has the injury issues. I wish him nothing but the best.

Ditto, best of luck Pods!

gogosox16
01-30-2008, 08:58 AM
I hope Pods makes the team and if he does I believe he will be the 4th outfielder or so and would be used in late game situations to run the bases and occasional starts. That would be awesome to have him come back this year and play against the sox. I would wear my Podsednik jersey to that game.

WhiteSox5187
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
When Pods was 100% healthy he was one of the best leadoff men in the game, sadly he just couldn't stay healthy. I wish him well in Colorado.

chisoxmike
01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Good for him. I hope he lands on his feet and does well. It sucks he was such a non-factor the last two years, the team desperately could've used him.

Good luck, Scott!

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/10/23/9afI4QUR.jpg

wilburaga
01-30-2008, 11:16 AM
He got his opportunity, he got paid and he played a major part in winning a World Series.

And he got Lisa.

W

Hokiesox
01-30-2008, 11:38 AM
He's got a plaque on one of our outfield seats and a home run we're going to be telling our kids and grandkids about for years. In the grand scheme of things, his career may be short in the show, but an entire fanbase will NEVER forget his name. That is an honor very few players who play this silly game get or even come close to. I hope he does well in Colorado.

Mohoney
01-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Even if he doesn't fit with the Rockies, hopefully he can still have a healthy and productive spring and attract other suitors.

I'm definitely rooting for him.

gregoriop
01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
He won my heart when he came up to bat using "Elevation" and sealed the deal in Game 2. I hope nothing but the best for him and I'll always remember him.

veeter
01-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Good luck Scott.

thomas35forever
01-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Good for him. The Rockies are very lucky to have a guy like him. Even if he doesn't make the ML roster, it'll be worth giving him a shot. A minor-league deal with an invite is the best any team could have done for him under the circumstances. Good luck Pods! Make us proud!

SOX LA Mikey
01-30-2008, 02:36 PM

He's done more than he probably ever dreamed of in baseball. It would be awesome if he played a few more years, but I doubt he'd be even a little disappointed about his career if he didn't. He got his opportunity, he got paid and he played a major part in winning a World Series.

..........Don't forget he's married to a former playmate.

RockyMtnSoxFan
01-30-2008, 04:49 PM

He would have less competition if he was trying out for left - Taveras has two back-ups, Hawpe has none.

Pods would have a hard time breaking into the Colorado outfield, even as a backup. Last year Cory Sullivan (better defense) and Ryan Spillborghs (better power and average) were the backups for Taveras. They are more likely to take a fourth outfielder who gives them something they don't already have. Also, Seth Smith had some key hits at the end of the season and postseason.

That said, maybe Pods will be back to 100%, in which case he would probably be a better choice than Sullivan, and maybe better than Spillborghs as a backup. I think it's more likely that the Rockies will try to hold onto him to use as trade bait for teams who are hurting in the outfield at the trade deadline.

whitem0nkey
01-30-2008, 05:06 PM
GL to pods.

I wish him nothing but the best. he will always have a place in the hearts and minds of sox fans. and that guy who sits in one of the 2 blue seats.

Pods thank you for being 1 of the main reasons for the ring.

lizard6king6
01-30-2008, 05:55 PM
I hope he gets to play so my "man crush" can live on. As others said he will always be remembered for hsi walk off homerun and helping bring a WS to Chicago! Good luck!

ChiSoxGirl
01-30-2008, 11:01 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/10/23/9afI4QUR.jpg

I'll always remember Scotty as the guy who gave me one of the greatest memories of my life as a Sox fan. I still remember standing in the middle of Puffers, crying after Pods ended Game 2; I was so proud and filled with joy that we were one step closer to winning that World Championship we'd been so starved for.

I'll also remember him as the only Sox player to ever come right up to me and give me an autograph. I showed him the SI with him on the cover when I was at one of the games in Tampa and within five minutes, he came right up to me and signed my magazine.

Pods will always have a special place in my heart for so many reasons! :wink: I can't wait to see him in June when the Rockies come to the south side (assuming he makes the ballclub).

we be jake
01-31-2008, 12:08 AM
will never, ever be forgotten. Lot to be said for that!

soxfanreggie
01-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Best of luck Pods, except vs the Sox.

GlassSox
02-01-2008, 09:19 PM
My wife I were at WS game 2, my wife praying that Scotty the Hottie would get a hit, and then ........................... the rest is history!

Good luck to Scott and I hope to see him play and be successful.

kingpin_rcs
02-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted.

Scott Podsednik has signed a minor league deal with the Rockies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3232494&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

He was useless for the Sox last year but he will forever be part of White Sox lore for hitting one of the biggest (and unlikely) homers in team history. He was also a huge part of the Sox overall success in 2005, especially the first half.

kingpin_rcs
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I see that it has been posted (I didn't search for "pods") please merge or remove this, thanks (and sorry)

manders_01
02-07-2008, 12:45 AM
And hopefully he will be playing on Sunday the 16th (March) as I will be taking in the Rox game that day! :bandance: