PDA

View Full Version : Preview of Nats New Ballpark

TomBradley72
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Preview of Nats new ballpark"

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2007/open/teams07/was/video/032107_was_virtual_ballpark_400.wmv&pid=gen_video&cid=mlb&v=2&mType=w&urlstr=&mUrl=&type=v_free&_mp=1

Hokiesox
01-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Beautiful stadium.

Doesn't change the fact it will be a nightmare to get to.

Frater Perdurabo
01-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Beautiful stadium.

Doesn't change the fact it will be a nightmare to get to.

Won't Metro have a stop there?

DSpivack
01-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Won't Metro have a stop there?

Navy Yard stop is already there, but parking seems still to be up in the air; there aren't many spots near the stadium, and the team wants to have the lots around RFK used, with a shuttle to the park. Meanwhile, they're renovating the Navy Yard stop, which I don't think is done yet.

turners56
01-29-2008, 07:48 PM
That's a nice ballpark, too bad the Nationals still suck.

Palehose Pete
01-29-2008, 08:31 PM
The Discovery Channel did one of their "Build It Big" shows using the Nats new stadium. The ball park looks even better than the computer model.

gogosox16
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Looks like it will be a very nice field....now if only the Nationals could put out a contending team.....Also I'm wondering what they are doing with the old field. tearing it down?

DSpivack
01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Looks like it will be a very nice field....now if only the Nationals could put out a contending team.....Also I'm wondering what they are doing with the old field. tearing it down?

RFK is home to the DC United until they get a new stadium. Plans for that are from close to reality.

DC Mayor Adrian Fenty this week announced that he wanted the Redskins back in DC, by building a 100,000-seat retractable roof stadium where RFK sits now. FedEx Field, which is in Landover, MD and seats "just" 91,000, is only about 10 years old.

itsnotrequired
01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
That's a nice ballpark, too bad the Nationals still suck.

The Nationals will be contending for the division within three years.

DSpivack
01-29-2008, 09:10 PM
The Discovery Channel did one of their "Build It Big" shows using the Nats new stadium. The ball park looks even better than the computer model.

Construction cam from two angles:

http://clarkconstruction.oxblue.com/clarkhuntsmoot/

Viva Medias B's
01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
It looks like it will have parking structures like Busch Stadium does. And the Cherry Blossoms on the outfield concourse are awesome.

soxfan21
01-29-2008, 09:37 PM
I really like the suites that they have, especially the President's Suite, looks like they have some great amenities to go along with a pretty good looking stadium.

MUsoxfan
01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
DC Mayor Adrian Fenty this week announced that he wanted the Redskins back in DC, by building a 100,000-seat retractable roof stadium where RFK sits now. FedEx Field, which is in Landover, MD and seats "just" 91,000, is only about 10 years old.

Unbelievable. These people have to stop the madness

moochpuppy
01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Very nice looking ballpark.

Blueprint1
01-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Looks like all the new parks if you ask me.

batmanZoSo
01-29-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm generally not crazy about round parks. Furthermore this is a ripoff of Anaheim (of all places). I'm not impressed. Now Oakland's future park is unreal.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1595917.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F1067E40F8B75AFBEEDD 5A5397277B4DC33E

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/images/ballpark/ph_nightblowl_1024x663.jpg

DSpivack
01-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm generally not crazy about round parks. Furthermore this is a ripoff of Anaheim (of all places). I'm not impressed. Now Oakland's future park is unreal.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1595917.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F1067E40F8B75AFBEEDD 5A5397277B4DC33E

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/images/ballpark/ph_nightblowl_1024x663.jpg

Besides the cherry trees and the external 'DC' look, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly unique about it. However, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly bad, either, though I suppose that'll have to wait until it actually opens. Like Coors Field or Turner, it'll probably be nice enough, have no huge drawbacks, no real distinct marks or features, but still not really be a bad place to watch a game. Certainly beats RFK.

batmanZoSo
01-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Besides the cherry trees and the external 'DC' look, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly unique about it. However, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly bad, either, though I suppose that'll have to wait until it actually opens. Like Coors Field or Turner, it'll probably be nice enough, have no huge drawbacks, no real distinct marks or features, but still not really be a bad place to watch a game. Certainly beats RFK.

Yeah, it's nice and all, but all new parks are. It'll just be another Petco or Turner Field or US Cell...nice to sit at but certainly not memorable.

This one has very similar outfield configurations to Anaheim from pole to pole. Same style one-tier bleachers in left, an out of town scoreboard on the fence in right center with a high wall and the main board behind the seats, a second tier that wraps around, and the corner bullpen. Even the batter's eye has similar angles, and yet another one with grass on it.

And like half a dozen other parks who copied Wrigley, they have a brick backstop. It works at Wrigley at least. It looks structural, not like suburban landscaping.

I will say the cherry trees are an excellent touch. The press box which cuts into the upper deck is pretty cool. The upper deck also breaks off into a shorter version down the 1B line...but that's just like Comerica.

HOK just isn't trying anymore.

nccwsfan
01-30-2008, 07:50 AM

RFK Stadium < New Nats ballpark < Camden Yards

The ballpark looks OK, as long as the Metro makes a stop nearby. As much as I hate driving through that traffic to get to games I'd still rather go see AL teams at Camden Yards, especially for our beloved White Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
01-30-2008, 08:22 AM
I like that all the skyboxes/suites are clustered behind home plate on several levels. This allows the decks of seats behind the dugouts and down the lines to be lower and therefore less steep.

Jollyroger2
01-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, it's nice and all, but all new parks are. It'll just be another Petco or Turner Field or US Cell...nice to sit at but certainly not memorable.

This one has very similar outfield configurations to Anaheim from pole to pole. Same style one-tier bleachers in left, an out of town scoreboard on the fence in right center with a high wall and the main board behind the seats, a second tier that wraps around, and the corner bullpen. Even the batter's eye has similar angles, and yet another one with grass on it.

And like half a dozen other parks who copied Wrigley, they have a brick backstop. It works at Wrigley at least. It looks structural, not like suburban landscaping.

I will say the cherry trees are an excellent touch. The press box which cuts into the upper deck is pretty cool. The upper deck also breaks off into a shorter version down the 1B line...but that's just like Comerica.

HOK just isn't trying anymore.

I'm in the DC area, and while the stadium looks nice, it's not particularly unique in any way. The fake marble/glass is different from the typical red brick new builds, but other than that the differences are few. I also don't like how the promo shows the DC landmarks. This location will offer almost zero views of the Capitol or Wash. Monument, etc from the seating areas. Instead we'll get two parking garages. There will be some very limited views of the Capitol from some upper deck seats but that's it.

The cherry trees are a nice touch, but they will bloom really before the season starts....so there will be some trees out there for the majority of the season but not the lush pink flowers that the preview leads you to believe.

And the neighborhood is still a mess...the river it sits on (the Anacostia) is still an open sewer, literally. Parking will be a nightmare.

And on top of all that, the team will still be bad to mediocre. Despite management's claims that they'd go out and increase payroll/hit the FA market, all they did was go out and get some more scraps and retreads like all the other offseasons here. Maybe they're banking on the new park bringing in more crowds so they didn't want to improve the team much. But the fans here are so fickle, unless you're the Redskins....I bet if the team stinks again the crowds will start dropping off fast. Especially if it's a pain in the neck to even get to the park.

batmanZoSo
01-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm in the DC area, and while the stadium looks nice, it's not particularly unique in any way. The fake marble/glass is different from the typical red brick new builds, but other than that the differences are few. I also don't like how the promo shows the DC landmarks. This location will offer almost zero views of the Capitol or Wash. Monument, etc from the seating areas. Instead we'll get two parking garages. There will be some very limited views of the Capitol from some upper deck seats but that's it.

The cherry trees are a nice touch, but they will bloom really before the season starts....so there will be some trees out there for the majority of the season but not the lush pink flowers that the preview leads you to believe.

And the neighborhood is still a mess...the river it sits on (the Anacostia) is still an open sewer, literally. Parking will be a nightmare.

And on top of all that, the team will still be bad to mediocre. Despite management's claims that they'd go out and increase payroll/hit the FA market, all they did was go out and get some more scraps and retreads like all the other offseasons here. Maybe they're banking on the new park bringing in more crowds so they didn't want to improve the team much. But the fans here are so fickle, unless you're the Redskins....I bet if the team stinks again the crowds will start dropping off fast. Especially if it's a pain in the neck to even get to the park.

What they need to do with the new park and everything is spend money now and put a competitive team together. Those two combined could really jump start the fan base, kind of in the same way that New Comiskey did when it first open. Until the strike, we got close to 3 mil a year and the team was very competitive.

But if you're just relying on a new park, that kind of gets old after the first season if the team is below .500.

itsnotrequired
01-30-2008, 12:54 PM
What they need to do with the new park and everything is spend money now and put a competitive team together. Those two combined could really jump start the fan base, kind of in the same way that New Comiskey did when it first open. Until the strike, we got close to 3 mil a year and the team was very competitive.

But if you're just relying on a new park, that kind of gets old after the first season if the team is below .500.

Have you seen their last couple drafts? Very impressive. This season will be a major cash cow. Increased money for free agents + excellent talent moving up through the ranks = a good team in a couple-tree years.

chisox77
01-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Very impressive new ballpark. I like the themes, especially names centering on presidents, or themes related to D.C.

By all of these new parks and their angular approaches, the Cell has become unique in kind of an accidental way.

:cool:

Jollyroger2
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Have you seen their last couple drafts? Very impressive. This season will be a major cash cow. Increased money for free agents + excellent talent moving up through the ranks = a good team in a couple-tree years.

The drafts have been good, but many of those prospects are a longer way off then 2-3 years. And the Nats have to sign them.

I hope this season is a cash cow for them...I try to get to a few games a year but attendance has been embarrassingly low for what was supposed to be a great baseball market. The fans here are so fickle. In 05 they drew well the first half of the season when DC was doing well, but once they started losing in the second half....the fans stopped coming and they haven't really come back strong yet.

They need to get their attendance and payroll, which both are currently down in the Tampa Bay-Pittsburgh-Marlins area, up to respectable levels in a hurry. Just cause they've drafted well doesn't mean they're going to be flooded with all-stars in a couple years. I would have liked to have seen the owners back up their talk to get a couple decent FAs...instead of going after the same old retreads in Montreal-esque style.

we be jake
01-30-2008, 11:23 PM
I think everyone wants to see Nats do well. Did anyone ever hate the Senators?

batmanZoSo
01-30-2008, 11:31 PM

I did. Back in nineteen-dickety-two.

DSpivack
01-31-2008, 12:12 AM

I did. Back in nineteen-dickety-two.

Ahh, good ol' "first in war, first in peace, last in the American League." I would say I wish I was around for that, but besides Frank Howard moonshots, I really don't.

itsnotrequired
01-31-2008, 05:59 AM
The drafts have been good, but many of those prospects are a longer way off then 2-3 years. And the Nats have to sign them.

Didn't they sign something like 19 of their first 20 picks from last year?

Jollyroger2
01-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Didn't they sign something like 19 of their first 20 picks from last year?

Yeah they got most of them...we'll see if they end up panning out and signing long term. I'd like to see Zimmerman get locked up for a long time. I just would like to see them get some proven talent as well....some of the talk from ownership is like all of those picks are going to prove to be all-stars. They were supposed to go out and get some quality talent this offseason but didn't. The pitching still needs a ton of work and they have zero power in the lineup. But I guess in a very mediocre NL that might work.

mrwag
01-31-2008, 08:55 AM
It doesn't matter, the stadium has blue seats so there's no way they will ever win!

Sorry - just had to do it...

Hitmenof77
01-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Navy Yard stop is already there, but parking seems still to be up in the air; there aren't many spots near the stadium, and the team wants to have the lots around RFK used, with a shuttle to the park. Meanwhile, they're renovating the Navy Yard stop, which I don't think is done yet.

Why not wait until the entire project is finished before commenting. I remember when the Padres opened up Petco and people were *****ing about parking and other crap. Well after the first year everything worked out.

RFK is home to the DC United until they get a new stadium. Plans for that are from close to reality.

Unbelievable. These people have to stop the madness

The Redskins paid for that stadium to be built with their own money. They are one of the few teams that actually own their stadium. The SF Giants own their ballpark. Sure govt money went into building roads and freeway exits to the stadium but the redskins paid the building of the stadium, well redskins fans through PSL did.

kba
02-01-2008, 08:43 AM
This location will offer almost zero views of the Capitol or Wash. Monument, etc from the seating areas. Instead we'll get two parking garages. There will be some very limited views of the Capitol from some upper deck seats but that's it.

Thats really a missed opportunity. A ballpark with a center-field view of the Capitol or the Washington Monument could have been a classic. Were there other locations considered that could have provided that?

Jollyroger2
02-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Thats really a missed opportunity. A ballpark with a center-field view of the Capitol or the Washington Monument could have been a classic. Were there other locations considered that could have provided that?

Yes, the one directly across the river in Virginia, next to the Pentagon. That would have been fantastic. I never wanted the stadium out by Dulles airport, like the Va baseball people wanted...but the site by the Pentagon would have been great for transportation, views, etc.

Now in a few years the neighborhood will probably be much nicer, but for now it's still in a pretty grungy part of the city, that's hard to get to, alongside a sludgepit of a river.

asindc
02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
RFK Stadium < New Nats ballpark < Camden Yards

The ballpark looks OK, as long as the Metro makes a stop nearby. As much as I hate driving through that traffic to get to games I'd still rather go see AL teams at Camden Yards, especially for our beloved White Sox.

I agree Camden Yards is still the gold standard among major league parks. I've been to Coors and Jacobs as well, and the sight lines remind me of Coors.

As long as Balt. stays in the AL, I anticipate going to more games at Camden than the new Nats park. I will try to make a couple of games this year at the new park, though.