PDA

View Full Version : Mets, Twins agree to Santana trade

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

first page.

doublem23
01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
One of these days, everyone is going to stop using that as a reputable source for rumors.

One day...

The best I can find is: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3220115 from Olney. No confirmation, but names some names the Metropolitans may be unloading to our division rival.

chisoxmike
01-29-2008, 03:21 PM
One of these days, everyone is going to stop using that as a reputable source for rumors.

One day...

Not in our lifetime.

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 03:21 PM

One day...

It's actually gotten a lot more respectable.

chisoxmike
01-29-2008, 03:22 PM

:rolling:

eriqjaffe
01-29-2008, 03:22 PM
One of these days, everyone is going to stop using that as a reputable source for rumors.It's a perfectly good source of rumors.

It is a terrible, terrible source of facts.

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-01-29-twins-mets-santana_N.htm

doublem23
01-29-2008, 03:23 PM

I guess when you post thousands of bogus rumors, the law of averages states you eventually have to guess 1-2 correctly.

:dunno:

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 03:27 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-01-29-twins-mets-santana_N.htm

Also being reported on MLB Radio.

mrfourni
01-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Thank God. He's out of the AL Central. Won't have to face him until the World Series.

SoxNation05
01-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Thank you sockingchisox! Thank you Omar Minaya! Thank you who ever took over for Terry Ryan!

StepsInSC
01-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Woooooooo good riddance!!

twsoxfan5
01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Looks like the Mets gave up a lot, but you have to in order to get Santana. I am just happy to see him out of our division.

gr8mexico
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
If true then :gulp::supernana::gulp::supernana::gulp::supernana :

Gammons Peter
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Great news if true. Gets him out of our division and should make it a little tougher for the cub to run roughshot over the NL

thedudeabides
01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Well, Nightengale is as good a source as there is.

Good riddance. I thought they were certainly going to get a better package than that. It's a great day to get him out of the division. :bandance:

Kogs35
01-29-2008, 03:38 PM
also being reported on espn news. gammons is on now

voodoochile
01-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Great news if true. Gets him out of our division and should make it a little tougher for the cub to run roughshot over the NL

Yeah, because that's always such a major concern...:?:

I mean every other year, there the flubbies are stomping through the NL on their way to another pennant/WS title. :rolleyes:

thedudeabides
01-29-2008, 03:40 PM
also being reported on espn news. gammons is on now

Is he crying because the Red Sox didn't get him?

FedEx227
I guess when you post thousands of bogus rumors, the law of averages states you eventually have to guess 1-2 correctly.

:dunno:

Exactly, they post any and all trade rumors, thus eventually they are going to get some right. Does that make them a good source? Not at all because few call them out when Ken Griffey is signed and delivered to the White Sox in 2005 or Roberts was trying out Cubs jerseys 3 weeks ago.

Sockinchisox
Rotoworld isn't fond of the package the Twins got.

USA Today believes the Mets have landed Johan Santana from the Twins for Carlos Gomez, Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Philip Humber.
It's a pretty disappointing day for Twins fans. Both packages being discussed by the Red Sox and Yankees during the winter meetings seemed more attractive to us. Gomez and Guerra are big-time talents, but Gomez lacks plate discipline and might not fit in the top half of the lineup and an awful lot could go wrong before Guerra even sniffy the majors. Mulvey and Humber are third starters at best and probably more like fourths. It's a whole lot better than losing Santana for draft picks next winter, but we'd have taken a Phil Hughes or Jacoby Ellsbury package over this.
Source: USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-01-29-twins-mets-santana_N.htm)

asindc
01-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Rotoworld isn't fond of the package the Twins got.

What that quote doesn't take into account is that the Twins most likely did not want to face Santana in the AL anymore than the Sox did. Better for the Twins' fans' morale that he won't be pitching for either the Yanks, Red Cubs, or any other AL team.

julio-cruz
01-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Wonder if Kenny Williams is going to drive Johan to the airport? :D:

nccwsfan
01-29-2008, 03:48 PM
If the Mets close this deal and sign Santana to a long term deal that would be fantastic! Good (riddance) luck in the NL...

doublem23
01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
:bandance:

What a great day. The Twins unload Santana and they get cents on the dollar for him.

This calls for the Super-nana.

:supernana:

chisoxmike
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
:rooney
"CELEBRATE SOX FANS, CELEBRATE!!!!!!"

:putitontheboard

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:
:threadrules:

spiffie
01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Much better this than the Twins getting Hughes or Ellsbury or Lester in the deal.

Steelrod
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Thank you sockingchisox! Thank you Omar Minaya! Thank you who ever took over for Terry Ryan!
Bill Smith, who came from the White Sox.

sox1970
01-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't mind it if the Sox still faced him once or twice this year. :cool:

Crede_Fan
01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Makes me taking him with the 3rd pick in the WSI Roto1 league that much better! :supernana:

VenturaFan23
01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
The only thing I don't like about this trade is that my second cousin is now a Twin! :whiner:

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Another source confirming it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2008/01/29/2008-01-29_mets_land_johan_santana_in_deal_for_four-1.html

spawn
01-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Wonder if Kenny Williams is going to drive Johan to the airport? :D:
If he doesn't, I'll happily volunteer!

Rocky Soprano
01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Great news!
I'm also glad he is not going to be a Yankee or a Red Sox!

WhiteSox5187
01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Great great great great great trade for two teams, the Mets obviously, and the White Sox!

doublem23
01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Hmmm... Don't bust out the champagne, yet... Looks like the Mets and Santana still need to come to an agreement on a contract extension. Johan can nix the whole deal if he doesn't like what they're putting on the table for him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3220894

:praying: Open up the coffers, Omar!

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Hmmm... Don't bust out the champagne, yet... Looks like the Mets and Santana still need to come to an agreement on a contract extension. Johan can nix the whole deal if he can't work out something with the Mets if he doesn't like what they're putting on the table for him.

Mets fans would burn Shea to the ground if they couldn't agree to an extension.

spawn
01-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Hmmm... Don't bust out the champagne, yet... Looks like the Mets and Santana still need to come to an agreement on a contract extension. Johan can nix the whole deal if he can't work out something with the Mets if he doesn't like what they're putting on the table for him.

They've got the money to spend. I'm sure Johan wouldn't have agreed if he didn't think he'd get paid the money he was looking for. of course, I could be wrong.

WhiteSox5187
01-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Mets fans would burn Shea to the ground if they couldn't agree to an extension.
It's going to be torn down in a yaer anyways, Met fans would just be saving the Mets money.

doublem23
01-29-2008, 04:08 PM
They've got the money to spend. I'm sure Johan wouldn't have agreed if he didn't think he'd get paid the money he was looking for. of course, I could be wrong.

The ESPN article I linked merely said that the Twins and Mets agreed on a package, but it doesn't really indicate if they've got a deal Santana wants.

peeonwrigley
01-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Looks like the Twins may have taken less to get him out of the AL.

redsand22
01-29-2008, 04:09 PM
If this goes through I like it better than either of the Red Sox/Yankees deals. Twins don't get as strong as they wouldve and Santana is out of the division.

russ99
01-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Wow, that's a really light return. Looks like the Red Sox and Yankees were pulling back even more than expected.

The Twins got shafted on this one, but what can you expect 2 months before his FA season: No Fernando Martinez, no Mike Pelfrey and best of all (for Sox fans) no Jose Reyes going to the Twin Cities.

They did get a haul of interesting prospects, but other than Humber and Gomez, they won't be much help to the Twins this year.

The Twins have to be upset they didn't take the Red Sox initial offer, if it was indeed an offer and not a rumor.

The Dude
Looks like the Mets gave up a lot, but you have to in order to get Santana. I am just happy to see him out of our division.

It doesn't look any better than the previous offers. I just got the call from my Twins buddy ready to jump ship after this bag of **** they got in return. :bandance:

spawn
The ESPN article I linked merely said that the Twins and Mets agreed on a package, but it doesn't really indicate if they've got a deal Santana wants.
Ah yes...you are corect.

chisoxfan83
01-29-2008, 04:14 PM
crossing my fingers that the deal gets done!!! I am confident it will get done! :)

doublem23
01-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Ah yes...you are corect.

I don't know how accurate ESPN's sources are, but this deal isn't official until Johan says so, and we've yet to hear that.

russ99
01-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I wonder if the Sox will still be interested in Coco Crisp, if this deal does go through.

A potential Santana deal was the reason the Red Sox weren't offering him around.

spawn
01-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I wonder if the Sox will still be interested in Crisp, if this deal does go through.

I hope not. :praying:

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Great news if the Mets can indeed sign Santana. The Twins have to be pissed that they waited so long. Both the Yankees and Red Sox packages were alot better IMO.

A. Cavatica
01-29-2008, 04:21 PM
I wonder if the Sox will still be interested in Coco Crisp, if this deal does go through.

A potential Santana deal was the reason the Red Sox weren't offering him around.

Hope not. Crisp would mean Swisher in left, which means Quentin on the bench. Then again, if we could get him for Uribe...

russ99
01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Hope not. Crisp would mean Swisher in left, which means Quentin on the bench. Then again, if we could get him for Uribe...

Yeah, but Crisp solves the CF defense and leadoff questions. Besides, I'm sure Quentin (after he recovers) will get plenty of at-bats under Ozzie's platoon systems.

Uribe and Anderson? :redneck

sox1970
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM

I think it's possible Crisp still comes here. I remember reading a while back that the Sox and Red Sox already had a deal in place if Ellsbury didn't get traded. We'll find out if that's true.

If the Sox got Crisp, that would at least put Owens on the bench where he belongs. Thome could sit against all lefty starters for all I care---then have Quentin in RF, with Dye DHing.

It would probably mean Richar or Ramirez in the minors, not Owens.

spawn
01-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I think it's possible Crisp still comes here. I remember reading a while back that the Sox and Red Sox already had a deal in place if Ellsbury didn't get traded. We'll find out if that's true.

Yeah, but that was before the acquisition of Swisher. I can't imagine having Quentin just riding the pine. If that were to happen (Trading for Crisp), I would think it's Quentin who gets sent down so he can play everyday. Owens would stick.

sox1970
01-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah, but that was before the acquisition of Swisher. I can't imagine having Quentin just riding the pine. If that were to happen (Trading for Crisp), I would think it's Quentin who gets sent down so he can play everyday. Owens would stick.

I have a hard time believing KW brought Swisher here to be an everyday CF, and batting at the top of the order.

russ99
01-29-2008, 04:34 PM

I thought Quentin was already solid in AAA and it would be a bit of a waste to send him down again.

Owens could use a little more AAA seasoning at the plate, especially vs. leftys so it's not impossible that he could be the odd man out, even though he's a much better backup OF/pinch runner.

Still, it looks to me that Kenny's content giving Jerry a shot at leadoff/CF in spring training, so I'm not sure if Crisp is still on the radar or not. Maybe he could be a late spring or mid-season acquisition if things don't work out with Owens or Swisher in CF.

I doubt Swisher leads off. He's more a #3 or a #6. Owens will lead off if he wins the CF job, and Cabrera and Ozuna can also leadoff.

MCHSoxFan
01-29-2008, 04:36 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080129&content_id=2359161&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

MCHSoxFan
01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080129&content_id=2359161&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

YEEEESSS!!!

CHIsoxNation
01-29-2008, 04:39 PM

YEEEESSS!!!

Really? It was the first thread in the forum...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97103

CHIsoxNation
01-29-2008, 04:40 PM

No it's not

The deal is contingent on the Mets and Santana reaching an agreement on a six-or-seven year contract extension.

Crede_Fan
01-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Not yet, Johan can still veto.

MCHSoxFan
01-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Really? It was the first thread in the forum...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97103

I know. I thought since it was MLBTR is was not true YET. I did not know anybody else knew it was OFFICIAL.

nodiggity59
01-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Uribe and Anderson for Crisp sounds fair if KW pursues it. Our lineup:

CF - Crisp
SS - Cabrera
1B - Konerko
DH - Thome
RF - Dye
LF - Swisher
C - AJ
3B - Fields
2B - Richar

Bench: Hall, Ramirez, Quentin, Pablo

12 Pitchers

Crede would have to be traded and Owens would be headed to triple A. Or 11 pitchers and keep Owens.

russ99
01-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Not yet, Johan can still veto.

The rumor out there is the Mets want to give him 5 years at $22-25MM. Since the deal specifically says 6 or 7 year deal, it could be a bit shaky but I can't see the Mets blowing this one considering how little they had to give up for a Cy Young pitcher.

Unfortunately, the Red Sox don't need a SS with Lugo in place, and I think they perceive Crisp's value as just a bit higher than that.
Maybe MacDougal could be part of a deal, since there were Crisp-related rumors flying around.

WhiteSox5187
01-29-2008, 04:45 PM
I thought Quentin was already solid in AAA and it would be a bit of a waste to send him down again.

Owens could use a little more AAA seasoning at the plate, especially vs. leftys so it's not impossible that he could be the odd man out, even though he's a much better backup OF/pinch runner.

Still, it looks to me that Kenny's content giving Jerry a shot at leadoff/CF in spring training, so I'm not sure if Crisp is still on the radar or not. Maybe he could be a late spring or mid-season acquisition if things don't work out with Owens or Swisher in CF.

I doubt Swisher leads off. He's more a #3 or a #6. Owens will lead off if he wins the CF job, and Cabrera and Ozuna can also leadoff.
That was before Quentin got hurt though...I'm not sure what this means for Crisp and the White Sox, truth be told I'm not exactly in love with the idea of him playing CF and leading off for us...

russ99
01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
That was before Quentin got hurt though...I'm not sure what this means for Crisp and the White Sox, truth be told I'm not exactly in love with the idea of him playing CF and leading off for us...

I know. He's not that much better than Owens, so I'm not sure if Kenny really wants to trade away players for a slight upgrade.

Swisher/Quentin would be optimal at the plate, but that would take the speed out of the lineup and who knows what kind of OF defense we'd get from them.

JB98
01-29-2008, 04:49 PM
If we get Santana out of the American League, I'll be delighted.

When we face him, I always feel like our hitters sort of throw up their hands and give up. He beats a lot of people, but I don't like the way we've surrendered against him in so many games.

thedudeabides
01-29-2008, 04:56 PM
The rumor out there is the Mets want to give him 5 years at $22-25MM. Since the deal specifically says 6 or 7 year deal, it could be a bit shaky but I can't see the Mets blowing this one considering how little they had to give up for a Cy Young pitcher.

Unfortunately, the Red Sox don't need a SS with Lugo in place, and I think they perceive Crisp's value as just a bit higher than that.
Maybe MacDougal could be part of a deal, since there were Crisp-related rumors flying around.

They are not exactly enamored with Lugo and everyone knows they prefer Ellsbury. Neither team needs to acquire these guys, but it could help both teams get rid of a deep position, and strengthen a weakness. I'm not sure exactly who the players would be, but I could see this happening.

Irishsox1
01-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I hope this goes through but the Twins have a knack for coming out on the right side of these trades. Santana will go to the Mets, his arm will fall off and the 4 guys the Twins got will all turn out to be Sox killers.

Frontman
01-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Can we sing him off one more time?

Na na na na / na na na na / hey hey hey / goodbye

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana::super nana::supernana:

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

And, he now will be a pain in the rear to Cubs fans versus Sox fans!

ESPN is running with it in their "breaking news" box on ESPN News now.

I sure hope its finalized. The Mets are the type of team willing to spend that kind of bank on a pitcher.

getonbckthr
01-29-2008, 05:02 PM
How will this impact the Bedard deal as far as value?

ChiSoxPatF
01-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Is he crying because the Red Sox didn't get him?

Either they woke him up from a 4 month nap or he was pouting like a 4 year old child. It was sad...

On the other hand, I'm not sure I've ever been so happy to see a player traded to another team. We'll face him once every three years on rotation and, hopefully, once every six years if we miss his start. We may never have to face Santana again - that deserves some 'nanas.
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

JermaineDye05
01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
I bet come the allstar break this season, Theo's going to be wishing he just agreed and let the Twinks have Lester.

This was the best case scenario, Johan leaves the AL Central and doesn't go to one of the powerhouses.

Frontman
01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Either they woke him up from a 4 month nap or he was pouting like a 4 year old child. It was sad...

On the other hand, I'm not sure I've ever been so happy to see a player traded to another team. We'll face him once every three years on rotation and, hopefully, once every six years if we miss his start. We may never have to face Santana again - that deserves some 'nanas.

The only time I want to see Santana versus the Sox is in late October. Then, if we beat him, its for something that matters:

The Championship.

Soxman219
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Say hello to 5th place Twinkie Fans!!!:supernana::supernana::supernana::gulp::gul p:

getonbckthr
01-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Say hello to 5th place Twinkie Fans!!!:supernana::supernana::supernana::gulp::gul p:
IDK about that they do got that guy Liriano coming back.

doublem23
01-29-2008, 05:17 PM

Not to mention they Royals still exist.

oeo
01-29-2008, 05:20 PM

One day...

It's only as reputable as Buster Olney, Ken Rosenthal, etc. The guy (mostly) does not just post baseless rumors, they're links to articles around the country. I still don't get what is so hard for you people to understand about that. It's simple: a journalist has a rumor on their website, he makes a blog post about it and links to it.

I seriously wonder if you people that just burn the website at every shot, have actually gone there and seen what it's about.

Jjav829
01-29-2008, 05:21 PM

He's coming back from TJ surgery. It's highly unlikely that he's going to be dominant right away.

Also, after this trade, you can expect Nathan to be dealt before the trade deadline.

Great move for the Mets. They desperately needed Johan to be able to compete this year.

Southsider101
01-29-2008, 05:21 PM
I hope this goes through but the Twins have a knack for coming out on the right side of these trades. Santana will go to the Mets, his arm will fall off and the 4 guys the Twins got will all turn out to be Sox killers.

Could this be 1989 redux? In July 1989 the Twins traded former Cy Young award winner Frank Viola to the Mets for Rick Aguilera, Kevin Tapani, David West. Aguilera and Tapani would go on to help the Twins win the 1991 World Series. The Twin's organization has plucked a good number of players from other teams minor league rosters with great success.

SoxSpeed22
01-29-2008, 05:31 PM
At least we don't have to worry about facing him every series. Now Their best players are gone and they can go back to the bottom of the cycle.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Now all the Sox have to do is figure out their other killer, C.C. Sabathia.

Lip

KyWhiSoxFan
01-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Who knows how it will really turn out for the Twins, but if I were a Twin I would not be very happy right now. I don't think they got anywhere near what the best pitcher in baseball is worth. I would take Ellsbury straight up for Santana than what they got from the Mets.

thomas35forever
01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Thank GOD. We no longer have to dread facing him. Maybe Cubs fans will hate him now though the Mets aren't in the same division.

Domeshot17
01-29-2008, 05:55 PM
I will bet Gomez has a better career then ellsbury. Ellsbury is so freaking over rated.

the Twins did ok. A lot hinges on Humber bouncing back.

Soxman219
01-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Not to mention they Royals still exist.

Royals are way better this year.

PKalltheway
01-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Thank goodness. Now Santana can go terrorize the NL. The Phils better watch out, the Mets are back, and they're looking to make up for last year's spectacular choke job.

sullythered
01-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Tommy John=2 1/2 years before you're the same.

sullythered
01-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I will bet Gomez has a better career then ellsbury. Ellsbury is so freaking over rated.

the Twins did ok. A lot hinges on Humber bouncing back.
I thought I was the only guy who felt that way about Ellsbury.

doublem23
01-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Royals are way better this year.

Sure they are. Sure they are.

Hard not to be improved when you've lost 90 games in 6 of the last 7 years.

FarWestChicago
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM

LipAll you have to do is convince him it's a playoff game. :D:

SoxyStu
01-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I just heard Mets fans saying Johan is a great hitter...

31 career ab sample size enough to make that statement???? Geeze...

ode to veeck
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
All you have to do is convince him it's a playoff game. :D:

We could plan to finish tied for the division and have a one game playoff against CC

Fenway
01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Boston is pleased. Santana goes to the other NY team and will pitch against the Yankees twice. The Red Sox won't see him until October...maybe :smile:

btrain929
01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
I personally would rather have had the original Boston/Yankee packages then the Mets' offer.

turners56
01-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Mets are probably now the NL favorites. I like Johan getting dealt to the NL, this way, the Twins will lose 10 wins from their record at the least. Yankees don't improve and neither do the Red Sox. Johan is gonna win 20, I wouldn't doubt that one bit. Great deal for the Mets, as for the Twins...if they could of gotten a Melky Cabrera (even a Phil Hughes) or a Jacoby Ellsbury out of this, this deal doesn't seem as good...but those were rumors. From the looks of this trade, they weren't going to get that kind of value.

California Sox
01-29-2008, 07:31 PM
I just heard Mets fans saying Johan is a great hitter...

31 career ab sample size enough to make that statement???? Geeze...

He began his career as an outfielder. He may not be Rick Ankiel with a bat in his hand, but he won't be Brandon McCarthy either.

jabrch
01-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Looks like the Mets gave up a lot,

Not really. They didn't have to give up their top prospect in the deal. This is less than the reported deals they had on the table with the Red Sox or the Yankees.

I'm thrilled if this is all they could get for him.

jabrch
01-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I personally would rather have had the original Boston/Yankee packages then the Mets' offer.

I don't believe either of those deals ever existed in the same way they were reported.

Boondock Saint
01-29-2008, 08:02 PM
It's a bit late in the game to be posting this, but

WOOHOO!!!

RowanDye
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I know. He's not that much better than Owens, so I'm not sure if Kenny really wants to trade away players for a slight upgrade.

Swisher/Quentin would be optimal at the plate, but that would take the speed out of the lineup and who knows what kind of OF defense we'd get from them.

Depending on how much you value arm strength, I think an argument could be made that Swisher/Quentin would be just as good or better than Swisher/Owens.

Swisher + Owens = lots of extra bases.

They better dedicate an entire practice field this spring training to hitting the cutoff man from CF.

ksimpson14
01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't mind it if the Sox still faced him once or twice this year. :cool:

You sly son of a ***** :cool:

gogosox16
01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Mets are probably now the NL favorites. I like Johan getting dealt to the NL, this way, the Twins will lose 10 wins from their record at the least. Yankees don't improve and neither do the Red Sox. Johan is gonna win 20, I wouldn't doubt that one bit. Great deal for the Mets, as for the Twins...if they could of gotten a Melky Cabrera (even a Phil Hughes) or a Jacoby Ellsbury out of this, this deal doesn't seem as good...but those were rumors. From the looks of this trade, they weren't going to get that kind of value.

You don't know that for sure...They didn't have Liariano at all last year and he would be practically anyones #1 starter. So as you can look the Twins got Liariano and those 4 guys from the Mets for Johan...Even though I believe they will lose more games, their is still a chance for them to compete and stay in the race.

gogosox16
01-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Not really. They didn't have to give up their top prospect in the deal. This is less than the reported deals they had on the table with the Red Sox or the Yankees.

Johan practically came out and told the Twins that he wanted out now, and practically the Yanks were offering Phillip Hughes and some decent prospects, while the Redsox were offering Ellsbury and some above average prospects. The Mets gave up players that could help them in many needs, with the outfield and most importantly pitching...they probably had the best overall offer.

ksimpson14
01-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Hope they can sign him! He should like the Latin presence there. In the early offseason, my crazy prediction was that the Mets would get him, BUT they'd have to include Reyes (and then sign ARod), but I'll take getting him for peanuts just fine (well, you never know with the Twins, but still, no Reyes and they didn't even have to throw in Pelfrey)

ksimpson14
01-29-2008, 08:24 PM
You don't know that for sure...They didn't have Liariano at all last year and he would be practically anyones #1 starter. So as you can look the Twins got Liariano and those 4 guys from the Mets for Johan...Even though I believe they will lose more games, their is still a chance for them to compete and stay in the race.

I think people are forgetting about them too quick. I felt that a little more strongly when Santana was still there, but they already had some nice bats and then added Young, and you know how they produce talent (or at least Sox killers)

gogosox16
01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Hope they can sign him! He should like the Latin presence there. In the early offseason, my crazy prediction was that the Mets would get him, BUT they'd have to include Reyes (and then sign ARod), but I'll take getting him for peanuts just fine (well, you never know with the Twins, but still, no Reyes and they didn't even have to throw in Pelfrey)
I remember when the Twins told the Mets for Santana that no matter what that Reyes would have to be part of it, and now Santana and Reyes are on the team together. What a great thing for the Sox.

EndemicSox
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Giving any pitcher 6 years, regardless of the size of the contract, is a losing prop, imo...

The Mets will probably "win" the trade for years 1-3, and then will be stuck with an albatross of a contract for the remainder...unless he is on HGH, of course, so maybe we need to throw out record books at this point...

TheOldRoman
01-29-2008, 08:37 PM

When we face him, I always feel like our hitters sort of throw up their hands and give up. He beats a lot of people, but I don't like the way we've surrendered against him in so many games.
Yep, because that is what they are taught. Greg Walker had the "brilliant" idea that Johan is so good, going up to bat with a plan give you less of a chance to succeed, so the hitters should just go up there with no strategy and hack away. It work out really well.

Glad to have him out of the central, and even more glad that the Twins didn't get a king's ransom for him.

gogosox16
01-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Giving any pitcher 6 years, regardless of the size of the contract, is a losing prop, imo...

The Mets will probably "win" the trade for years 1-3, and then will be stuck with an albatross of a contract for the remainder...unless he is on HGH, of course, so maybe we need to throw out record books at this point...
they should load the contract the first 3-4 years so the last 2 aren't as bad but still a lot of money.

jabrch
01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Johan practically came out and told the Twins that he wanted out now, and practically the Yanks were offering Phillip Hughes and some decent prospects, while the Redsox were offering Ellsbury and some above average prospects. The Mets gave up players that could help them in many needs, with the outfield and most importantly pitching...they probably had the best overall offer.

No way....Not if they could have gotten Hughes/Melky+ or Ellsbury or Lester with Lowrie and Masterson.

If the Mets didn't have to give up their 5 tool OF Fernando Martinez, it is a win for them. Carlos Gomez is nowhere close to Martinez in terms of value.

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 09:51 PM
KW's reaction.

"I heard he went to the National League, right?" said Williams. "OK, great. That's it.

"Good riddance," added Williams with a laugh.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080129&content_id=2359611&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

FedEx227
01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
No way....Not if they could have gotten Hughes/Melky+ or Ellsbury or Lester with Lowrie and Masterson.

If the Mets didn't have to give up their 5 tool OF Fernando Martinez, it is a win for them. Carlos Gomez is nowhere close to Martinez in terms of value.

Yup, the Twins got hosed because the Mets knew they didn't want to keep him in the AL.

Foulke You
01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
KW's reaction.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080129&content_id=2359611&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp
I think that KW pretty much summed up the feeling of everyone associated with the White Sox from the players to the fans.:D:

Foulke You
01-29-2008, 10:09 PM

Lip
Look at it this way Lip, the automatic Sox losses have dropped from 12 to 6 with one trade! :tongue:

Tragg
01-29-2008, 10:57 PM
If the Mets didn't have to give up their 5 tool OF Fernando Martinez, it is a win for them. Carlos Gomez is nowhere close to Martinez in terms of value. I agree.
The Mets had 1 elite prospect, and they didn't give him up. That's good - dont' need elite prospecs coming into the AL.

Lip Man 1
01-30-2008, 02:31 AM
All of the accounts that I've seen on line from respected baseball people and sites all say the same thing.

The Mets didn't trade away the cupboard for the top pitcher in baseball.

The outfielder is considered the best of the four prospects, one pitcher is coming off Tommy John surgery and the other two and lower class players who may or may not ever see the light of day in the big leagues.

Almost a "steal" for the Mets considering Santana is so good.

Lip

batmanZoSo
01-30-2008, 02:35 AM
All of the accounts that I've seen on line from respected baseball people and sites all say the same thing.

The Mets didn't trade away the cupboard for the top pitcher in baseball.

The outfielder is considered the best of the four prospects, one pitcher is coming off Tommy John surgery and the other two and lower class players who may or may not ever see the light of day in the big leagues.

Lip

Aw man, we could've offered them Danks, Fields, Egbert and Gio! By the time they found out we don't have Gio, we'd have already taken our suicide pills.

Frater Perdurabo
01-30-2008, 08:27 AM
If that's all the Mets gave up for him, why couldn't the Sox have sent Broadway, Floyd, Anderson, Getz and Valido to the Twins to get Santana!

Fenway
01-30-2008, 08:37 AM

Lip

That seems to be the feeling in NY

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/01/30/gal_bp_01_30_2008.jpg

The Mets, to a large extent, were able to land their top-of-the-rotation starter by default. Minnesota officials contacted the Mets, Yankees and Red Sox yesterday morning and requested each team's best offer. The Yankees were unwilling to include Phil Hughes and essentially passed, while the Red Sox's recent interest had been tepid as well, with both clubs preferring to retain their elite prospects, especially given the financial commitment needed for Santana to approve the trade. Boston, which at one point had separate offers out to Minnesota headlined by outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury and pitcher Jon Lester, were no longer willing to part with Ellsbury yesterday. They later yanked the Lester-led offer, too, leaving the Mets as the lone legitimate suitor.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2008/01/30/2008-01-30_mets_strike_deal_with_twins_extension_aw.html

cards press box
01-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Fenway, is there any word in Boston about what the Red Sox plan to do with Coco Crisp?

thedudeabides
01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Boston is pleased. Santana goes to the other NY team and will pitch against the Yankees twice. The Red Sox won't see him until October...maybe :smile:

It's just great to see him out of the AL. I don't know, if I were a Red Sox fan I would have been practically demanding to get Santana. Jacoby Ellsbury is a completely overrated prospect who doesn't even compare to Santana. If the Red Sox got Santana, I think it would have been hard to beat them for the next two years. They are a good team and could have been all time dominant with Santana. I guess you can't give that up for someone like Ellsbury or Lester.

chisoxmike
01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
The Red Sox won't see him until October...maybe :smile:

Let's hope not.

Fenway
01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Fenway, is there any word in Boston about what the Red Sox plan to do with Coco Crisp?

Nothing since Christmas

DrCrawdad
01-30-2008, 10:43 AM

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/blog/casablanca.jpg
We'll always have September 21, 2007 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200709210.shtml).

WizardsofOzzie
01-30-2008, 11:46 AM
We'll always have September 21, 2007 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200709210.shtml).

E: A Gonzalez (9)

Only 1??? :D:

PalehosePlanet
01-30-2008, 11:58 AM

Me too, so far so good. Now if they can only trade away Nathan for another mediocre package....

Foulke You
01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Me too, so far so good. Now if they can only trade away Nathan for another mediocre package....
If they do trade Nathan away that means 3 of the top Sox killers on the Twins (Santana, Hunter, and Nathan) will be gone. Such a shame.

jabrch
01-30-2008, 02:50 PM

I imagine they get 1 top tier prospect from someone...but even that is better in my eyes than seeing Nathan come out of the pen.

chisox77
01-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Trading Sox Killers to the National League + another deal or two to add pitching = a great 2008!

:cool:

DrCrawdad
01-30-2008, 09:21 PM
E: A Gonzalez (9)

Only 1??? :D:

It was a good game for him, only one error and he got the (rare) hit.

Seeing Andy Gonzalez name on a line-up card, especially when he was penciled in as a starting outfielder, usually made me...
:puking: