PDA

View Full Version : Twins to decide on Santana, or not

RockyMtnSoxFan
01-29-2008, 12:35 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Twinkies could make a decision on Santana as soon as today: link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3220115).

In the article they mention that the Yankees are essentially out of the negotiations, which leaves only the Red Sox and Mets. The Red Sox refuse to include Lester, except possibly in a deal where Coco Crisp is the only other player. Meanwhile, the Mets don't have as high quality of prospects.

If I'm the Twins, I have to think about holding onto Santana, because I don't think any of those packages are close to the value of Santana. It sounds to me that if they make a deal now, they are getting a weak return. I mean, for one of those big market teams, Santana could be a huge difference maker, and though I'm sure Lester will be good, he's never going to come close to Santana. If you hold him, you have the option to make a trade at the deadline when teams are desperate.

skottyj242
01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Twinkies could make a decision on Santana as soon as today: link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3220115).

In the article they mention that the Yankees are essentially out of the negotiations, which leaves only the Red Sox and Mets. The Red Sox refuse to include Lester, except possibly in a deal where Coco Crisp is the only other player. Meanwhile, the Mets don't have as high quality of prospects.

If I'm the Twins, I have to think about holding onto Santana, because I don't think any of those packages are close to the value of Santana. It sounds to me that if they make a deal now, they are getting a weak return. I mean, for one of those big market teams, Santana could be a huge difference maker, and though I'm sure Lester will be good, he's never going to come close to Santana. If you hold him, you have the option to make a trade at the deadline when teams are desperate.

What is the true value of Santana for a year?

balke
01-29-2008, 01:03 PM

If you are the Mets, possibly a World Series. They need that kind of pitcher bad.

103 screwball
01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
For some reason I get an image of KW calling the Twins over and over again to trade for Santana and the Twins GM sees the caller ID and picks up and hangs up. over and over and over.

Fenway
01-29-2008, 01:20 PM
If you are the Mets, possibly a World Series. They need that kind of pitcher bad.

The Mets are coming off one of the worst collapses in baseball history. They need something to make their fanbase forget.

Boston won't jump unless NYY gets back in in.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 01:24 PM
On a Mets blog, it says that the Twins upped their extension offer to 5yr/100mil, and Santana turned that down. God, he's going to get paid ridiculously....very soon.

I wonder if an extension isn't reached with Sabathia, what type of contract he'll get. Hmmm.....

FedEx227
01-29-2008, 01:56 PM
On a Mets blog, it says that the Twins upped their extension offer to 5yr/100mil, and Santana turned that down. God, he's going to get paid ridiculously....very soon.

I wonder if an extension isn't reached with Sabathia, what type of contract he'll get. Hmmm.....

It's going to be unreal. Lefty, in his prime, dominant pitcher, in this market. He's Barry Zito but with a tremendously better track-record, it'll be scary to see what he gets.

spiffie
01-29-2008, 01:58 PM
It's not just Santana for 1 year, its for the chance to lock him up, even though the price will be huge, for the long-term without having to fight for him on the open market.

doublem23
01-29-2008, 02:07 PM

Johan has a full no-trade clause and he has said that he will veto any deal to a team that will not meet his demands for a long contract extension, so any team that gets Johan gets him for 2006 and then the better part of the next decade.

thedudeabides
01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm begging for the Mets.:praying: GET OUT OF THE AL!!!!

WizardsofOzzie
01-29-2008, 03:06 PM
For some reason I get an image of KW calling the Twins over and over again to trade for Santana and the Twins GM sees the caller ID and picks up and hangs up. over and over and over.
Are you implying we don't have the prospects to get him here? We have Brian Anderson for crying out loud!