PDA

View Full Version : One final move...

NardiWasHere
01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
OK, let's assume that KW has one move left in him before the season begins (Crede+ whatever). What do you hope he goes after?

WizardsofOzzie
01-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Is there really any doubt on what we could use the most right now?

spawn
01-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Is there really any doubt on what we could use the most right now?
Yep. I think it's pretty obvious.

thegooch
01-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Agreed. I think it's obvious what this team still needs. The real question is, where do we get it?

sox1970
01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
I'd be happy with Danks and Floyd as 4 and 5 if the Sox had a better #3. If Contreras can be as good as Buehrle and Vazquez have to be, the Sox will contend.

chisoxmike
01-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Get another starter. I think Richar would be fine as a leadoff hitter.

voodoochile
01-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Where's the option for 25th man/utility IF and a bag of used balls? :tongue:

btrain929
01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind putting a package together of Richar, Uribe, and Masset/Macdougal (if not both) for Brian Roberts. I'd imagine that has to be comparable to what the Cubs are offering. We'd be giving them 2 players that can start in the field for them this year (Richar and Uribe since Tejada was traded). Macdougal can definitely fit in their bullpen with their injury woes, and Masset maybe at the backend of the rotation.

That'd make our team a little more proven at the 2b position, and solve our leadoff problem, without really giving up anything to hurt our 2008 ballclub. We can throw in a prospect if they like any of them (Shelby, etc. Just not Egbert).

Sargeant79
01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind putting a package together of Richar, Uribe, and Masset/Macdougal (if not both) for Brian Roberts. I'd imagine that has to be comparable to what the Cubs are offering. We'd be giving them 2 players that can start in the field for them this year (Richar and Uribe since Tejada was traded). Macdougal can definitely fit in their bullpen with their injury woes, and Masset maybe at the backend of the rotation.

That'd make our team a little more proven at the 2b position, and solve our leadoff problem, without really giving up anything to hurt our 2008 ballclub. We can throw in a prospect if they like any of them (Shelby, etc. Just not Egbert).

There's no way that package would be good enough to get Brian Roberts. I think you are really overvaluing our players.

nccwsfan
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
They have improved the bullpen, SS, and OF. Whether or not we need a leadoff hitter depends on who you ask (I say that Owens will do just fine at leadoff). The only position where most would agree that we need help is another starter, preferrably one who can eat up some innings.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 01:18 PM
There's no way that package would be good enough to get Brian Roberts. I think you are really overvaluing our players.

How does it stack up to a package of Marshall, Gallagher, and Cedeno that keeps getting rumored around? I don't think it's much different from that. If we have to give up more, we'll give up more. I agree, though, that getting a leadoff hitter isn't an absolute must (I'm fine with Cabrera/Owens). But if the Cubs packaged is anything close to what it'll take, I think we can make a competitive offer as well.

Frater Perdurabo
01-29-2008, 01:23 PM
The question is starting pitching.

The answer is Johan Santana. :tongue:

RCWHITESOX
01-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Get another starter. I think Richar would be fine as a leadoff hitter.

I'm curious why you would think Richar would be fine as a leadoff hitter. He will have enough problems just concentrating on playing 2nd base and hitting in the 9th spot. He has no credentials to be a leadoff hitter. If he's the Sox leadoff hitter were in deep s----!!!!!!!!!!

Mod edit: three days for language filter violation.

Sargeant79
01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
How does it stack up to a package of Marshall, Gallagher, and Cedeno that keeps getting rumored around? I don't think it's much different from that. If we have to give up more, we'll give up more. I agree, though, that getting a leadoff hitter isn't an absolute must (I'm fine with Cabrera/Owens). But if the Cubs packaged is anything close to what it'll take, I think we can make a competitive offer as well.

Sean Marshall is a guy who is penciled in to be in the Cubs' starting rotation this year, and Gallagher in 2009 if not sooner. Both may not eventually be more than back-of-the-rotation starters (if that) but both also have considerable upside. Our equivalents would be possibly giving up John Danks along with Lance Broadway or Jack Egbert. I don't think much of Ronny Cedeno, but he is still someone who may turn into a good platoon player, if not a serviceable regular, for someone.

For what it's worth, the rumored deals of late have focused on Gallagher and Felix Pie plus a prospect, which I think is much more favorable from the Cubs standpoint, depending on who that third prospect is, of course. I agree with other posters on here who have equated Felix Pie with Brian Anderson (i.e. a guy who may eventually put it together but right now is all glove, no bat and doesn't seem to be on the verge of fixing it.)

On our end, Uribe has next to no trade value at the moment. Richar has potential, but probably has more value to us at this point than most other teams. Masset and MacDougal are nothing more than spare parts until they have a good stretch this year. That's not going to be enough to get almost anything that could really help us right now.

I think we're better off standing pat with what we have unless something for a starting pitcher materializes. While I don't agree that Richar is a leadoff option (at least not this year) as another poster suggested, I don't think that Brian Roberts improves the club enough to trade significant talent for him.

Lukin13
01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
If this team has a weakness it is the starting pitching!

BUT

There are not many/any options available in the FA market that are heads or tails better than Danks/Floyd. It would be a mistake to bring in a veteran like Colon or Benson unless you have the stones to start the season with your five best starters regardless of who they are; and only base it on spring training performance. The same way that Contreras will REALLY have to stink up the place in '08 before he is shown the door to the 60 Day DL; if KW signs a veteran, you all know we will have to deal with him for the first half of the season regarldess if it is good or bad.

And if your are thinking of making a deal.... Unless I am underestimating our farm system and Joe Crede's value, I don't think there is enough spare talent laying around for KW to make a deal for a starter that you can gurantee will be a better option than Danks/Floyd/Broadway.

Why not give the kids a shot? I like their chances just as much as anyone available.

LITTLE NELL
01-29-2008, 07:44 PM
We need someone to replace Garland. I see Contrares as a 4th starter and Danks/Floyd as #5. Where this guy comes from I have no idea but if we get him we are a playoff team.

Lukin13
01-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I see Contrares as a 4th starter

I see Jose as all or nothing... I would never call him a 4th starter.

The past two seasons the guy has either had nasty, ace like stuff or he has looked like he belongs out of baseball.

I bet he has an allstar season or is on the DL by July.

Noneck
01-29-2008, 08:15 PM
We need someone to replace Garland. I see Contrares as a 4th starter and Danks/Floyd as #5. Where this guy comes from I have no idea but if we get him we are a playoff team.

To get a guy like that would require the Sox to give talent that they can not afford to loose. Jenks , Swisher and Konerko are the only players that could possibly command the type of pitcher you are requesting. Not having good minor league prospects really lessens the chances to make trades like this.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
To get a guy like that would require the Sox to give talent that they can not afford to loose. Jenks , Swisher and Konerko are the only players that could possibly command the type of pitcher you are requesting. Not having good minor league prospects really lessens the chances to make trades like this.

Assuming we free some money off the books next year (trade Contreras in contract year, Thome doesn't come back) we can go hard for a FA pitcher if there are any worthy ones out there. We can go after them like we went after Linebrink. It doesn't have to be an ace, but a solid 3 starter. By then, we should know what we have in Danks and Floyd (if one of them can be counted on year in and year out, then mission accomplished). We'll also know how ready Broadway/Egbert are for rotation slots. Our rotation can look like:

Buehrle
Vazquez
Free Agent (Wolf, Sheets, Looper, Mulder, Lowe, etc).
Danks
Broadway/Egbert/we trade these guys for a #4-5 starter.

I've said it in other threads, but I feel this offseason was mainly to address our offense/bullpen, and next offseason will target our rotation.

LITTLE NELL
01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
If Crede can show in spring training that he is fully recovered, he would be the one to trade for a proven starter.

Noneck
01-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Assuming we free some money off the books next year (trade Contreras in contract year, Thome doesn't come back) we can go hard for a FA pitcher if there are any worthy ones out there. We can go after them like we went after Linebrink. It doesn't have to be an ace, but a solid 3 starter. By then, we should know what we have in Danks and Floyd (if one of them can be counted on year in and year out, then mission accomplished). We'll also know how ready Broadway/Egbert are for rotation slots. Our rotation can look like:

Buehrle
Vazquez
Free Agent
Danks

I've said it in other threads, but I feel this offseason was mainly to address our offense/bullpen, and next offseason will target our rotation.

I think this question was about this coming season. Way to early to think about 09.

Noneck
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
If Crede can show in spring training that he is fully recovered, he would be the one to trade for a proven starter.

I don't think so, showing that he is healthy in spring training won't get a 3 starter. Crede is coming off of back surgery, last year of contact and has Boras as his agent. Too much baggage to get that much.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I think this question was about this coming season. Way to early to think about 09.

My response was talking about this year, reiterating we don't have anything else to trade to get a SP. I feel that hole will be filled in '09, and I gave my logic/possibilities behind that. I don't feel there will be many big changes between now and opening day. If we trade guys like Crede, Uribe, Macdougal, Masset, Sisco, etc, it will be for minor leaguers or utility bench guys, because collectively those guys won't be able to bring us much major league talent back in areas that we need it.

Noneck
01-29-2008, 08:49 PM
My response was talking about this year, reiterating we don't have anything else to trade to get a SP. I feel that hole will be filled in '09, and I gave my logic/possibilities behind that. I don't feel there will be many big changes between now and opening day. If we trade guys like Crede, Uribe, Macdougal, Masset, Sisco, etc, it will be for minor leaguers or utility bench guys, because collectively those guys won't be able to bring us much major league talent back in areas that we need it.

Ok, I agree with you. The only way they might get a 3 starter is trade Konerko, but with Swisher at 1st the OF is very weak.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Ok, I agree with you. The only way they might get a 3 starter is trade Konerko, but with Swisher at 1st the OF is very weak.

Exactly, unless, all at the same time, Owens and Quentin both have the spring trainings of their life, one or 2 of our SP's are doing terrible, and someone inquires about Konerko for a #2-3 SP in the middle of Spring Training.

So yes, very unlikely.

gogosox16
01-29-2008, 09:28 PM

Buehrle
Vazquez
Free Agent (Wolf, Sheets, Looper, Mulder, Lowe, etc).
Danks

If we could get Sheets cheap and he could stay healthy then that would be a huge steal.

steely712
01-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I am all about giving Danks and Floyd their rightful start in the rotation, but what if one of our starters go down? This is usually a problem that a team faces at least for a couple starts, who is our backup plan this year? I think that another starter is a must to our rotation.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 11:00 PM
I am all about giving Danks and Floyd their rightful start in the rotation, but what if one of our starters go down? This is usually a problem that a team faces at least for a couple starts, who is our backup plan this year? I think that another starter is a must to our rotation.

You don't go acquire starters and then have them rot in the bullpen "just in case" a starter goes down. Nobody have 7 starters on their team, with 2 guys ready to go if an injury occurs.

What will we do? Do what just about every other team in the bigs would do, callup a minor leaguer for a few spot starts. Between Masset, Broadway, and Egbert, we'll be fine.

rwcescato
01-29-2008, 11:32 PM
OK, let's assume that KW has one move left in him before the season begins (Crede+ whatever). What do you hope he goes after?

Crede to the Giants for Noah Lowery seems intriguing to me. What does everyone think.

gogosox16
01-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Crede to the Giants for Noah Lowery seems intriguing to me. What does everyone think.
I would love to get another starter in here for competion, but why would the Giants get rid of a major league pitcher for a player that hasn't played in like 9 months and no one knows what to expect from him?