PDA

View Full Version : Faith in Danks and Floyd

ChiSoxPatF
01-29-2008, 09:43 AM
I know I am going to get burnt for posting this, but I've just read a lot of posts writing off Danks and Floyd. I, for one, would like for people to have a little more patience in these two. We are not that far removed from both being top prospects and, as much as I would love 5 Mark Buehrles, no team beside the Yanks and Red Sox can afford to buy a pitching staff of 5 $15+ mil pitchers (and even they aren't completely buying pitching staffs anymore)

Here's some reason to have faith (or at least patience):

Gavin Floyd
Floyd in his last 6 starts last year had a 3.41 ERA. He did go 0-3 but his run support was 2.0 per game. Of these 6 games, 3 were against high octane offenses - Detroit (twice) and Texas - and the other 3 were against AL Central rivals - Minnesota, KC, and Cleveland. He averaged roughly 5 K's per game and walked less than 2 per game. He also got the long ball under control, giving up less than an average of 1 HR per game (which was his problem early in the year)

Prior to this run (starting August 28), he was a mixture of perfect and atrocious. From July 6 to August 24, he had 5 games where he gave up 4+ runs and 5 games were he did not give up a single run.

John Danks
Danks looks like the complete opposite. From April until the end of July he had a 6-7 record with a 4.83 ERA. Not stellar but not bad for a 22 year old in his first season. The numbers look like he just ran out of gas as he approached more innings than he has ever worked before. Again, the kid is 22 years old and was KILLED by lack of run support.

I know I'm going to get attacked for this but I think, given the present state of baseball economics, these two shouldn't be written off the way most Sox fans and members of the media have. I think seeing these two develop will be exciting and could be very instrumental to the long-term success of the Sox.

Now I'm not sure I can say the same about Contreras...

spawn
01-29-2008, 09:52 AM
You won't get burnt or attacked by me. I like the post. I don't know if I have faith that both pitchers will get the job done, but I will be optimistic about their chances.

Corlose 15
01-29-2008, 09:55 AM
You won't get burned by me. I'm a fan of Floyd and Danks. I don't understand the desire to go after someone like Colon or Hernandez because I don't think they'll give you anything better.

These guys are both still young and really haven't started that many games yet so to write them off is premature. With Floyd its all about confidence, I don't know if anyone heard AJ's interview with Ranger but he echoed this sentiment saying they're always telling him he has the stuff he just has to trust himself and execute. Floyd has also himself said his confidence is up and this is the best he's felt in years. I think he's gonna be fine.

Also, did anyone else see the interviews with the players on chicagosports.com? Danks mentioned that he has added a cutter this offseason that he was working on last year. That should help with him.

As for Contreras, I was looking at his stats last year and for the most part he pitched decently. His April and Mays were ok, save for that disaster on opening day, then June got a little rough and July was an absolute disaster with an ERA over 12. He then got back on track and was solid for August and September. So he could bounce back.

I'm optimistic and think it could work out nicely. Then again it could blow up in the Sox' faces.:D:

doublem23
01-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm pretty confident that Danks will continue to grow and develop into a good pitcher. I'm far less confident in Gavin Floyd, but the problem is that while I would love to see both guys win doubl-digit games and have an ERA in the 4's (if that happens the Sox will easily top 90 wins, IMO), but there is no back up plan for if they suck or get hurt.

Sargeant79
01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty confident that Danks will continue to grow and develop into a good pitcher. I'm far less confident in Gavin Floyd, but the problem is that while I would love to see both guys win doubl-digit games and have an ERA in the 4's (if that happens the Sox will easily top 90 wins, IMO), but there is no back up plan for if they suck or get hurt.

I agree with your feelings on the two. I really think that Danks will make very good progress this year, while Floyd is a tossup - could be respectable or could completely implode.

But I think they do have a backup plan... Lance Broadway, Jack Egbert, or Charlie Haeger. It just may not be the type of plan that many of us would prefer to see.

EMachine10
01-29-2008, 10:32 AM
No arguments here, Danks looked solid the first ten or so starts, but he just never got the run support. if i remember correctly, he could have been something like 8-2 with a little more run support. (Of course we can say the bullpen would have blown those leads, but another story :tongue:). Danks will continue to get stronger. For Floyd, it's always been consistency.

chisoxmike
01-29-2008, 10:36 AM
I like Danks a lot. I think he will shine in a year or two. I can't say the same about Floyd. The guy leaves me cold. I think I'd feel better about having Floyd as our only question mark in the rotation if Contreras was gone.

Also, as doublem said, there is no backup if one of these guys flames out or gets injured.

01-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Even is Floyd fails early on, both Egbert and Broadway are waiting for their shot...

It's not all that bad.

Hokiesox
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Danks reminds me of a young Jon Garland. Not a bad thing to be reminded of, seeing the outcome. But Garland was maddeningly frustrating when he was young (pre 2005). It's just part of the learning/growing curve. I'm cautiously optimistic they'll do well this season.

oeo
01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
If Floyd can consistently get that curveball over for strikes (and he did at the end of 2007), he's going to be nasty. Once he shows he can't do it, they'll just sit on the fastball and he'll get crushed. The only question is, can he do it? He hasn't shown the ability to do that from start to start yet. Maybe it's always been a confidence issue...Ozzie and Co. have been great at fixing those.

I think Danks is really going to surprise some people this year, like he did in Spring Training last year. He just needs to keep the ball down in the zone. He has a nasty change and a good curve to go with it, it's when he gets that fastball up in the zone that gets him in trouble. He's going to be a good one. :cool:

TomBradley72
01-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I like Danks, and at 23 he deserves patience, but I see very little in his 2007 stats to indicate he should be a solid rotation starter in 2008. He was 1-7,7.11 ERA after the All Star break...coming off a 5-6,4.62 ERA first half.

He's still a very solid prospect...but I'm not optimistic we'll get the production from him in 2008 we'll need for a playoff spot.

spiffie
01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
As big a worry for me as their performance is their stamina. Can either of them go 180-200 innings? Last year Danks was gassed by 100 innings. What is he going to do this offseason that will let him give us 30 starts? Same with Floyd.

oeo
01-29-2008, 11:13 AM
As big a worry for me as their performance is their stamina. Can either of them go 180-200 innings? Last year Danks was gassed by 100 innings. What is he going to do this offseason that will let him give us 30 starts? Same with Floyd.

Floyd pitched 176.2 between Charlotte and Chicago last year (also 169.1 in 2006, and 163.1 in 2005), so I'm not worried about his stamina; I think he should be able to handle 180+ IP.

We'll see about Danks. They need to be careful with him and give him breaks throughout the season. This is where a vet would be nice to have for some spot starts (or maybe a guy like Masset).

Corlose 15
01-29-2008, 11:14 AM

With an issue like this, does it open up the door for Masset to get another shot in long relief if he has a good spring?

Thigpen "57"
01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I too endorse this message for some faith in Floyd and Danks. Yes, they are question marks, but only because they have a lack of MLB expereince to base an accurate and true evaluation. Danks is money, he came out at the start and was incredible, no confidence issues even when he got shelled.

Spot on with Floyd as well in terms of him not finding trust in himself. His great finish last year was written off by some as pitching against oither teams minor leagers (40 man), but as ChiCoxPatF pointed out, Gavin pitched against some very good offenses, and showed very good results. This tells me he is a strong competitor who wants to play against the best.

All that being said, he is still a coin flip in my eyes. I also have no problem giving Egbert, Broadway, and Haeger a shot if there is a need to replace someone. Let the kids play.:smile: We have enough vets on the team to keep things under control and in focus.

oeo
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
With an issue like this, does it open up the door for Masset to get another shot in long relief if he has a good spring?

It's a possibility. I think he will make the team because I don't think Kenny wants to lose him. If Ozzie is really going to carry 12 pitchers, he could earn that last spot (of course Wassermann would probably be the odd man out).

spawn
01-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I have a question for posters here: why so much faith in Danks and so little in Floyd? Most point to this being Danks first full season in the Majors and are willing to let him progress. Floyd has yet to pitch a full season in the Majors. Also, as others have pointed out, I think his biggest problem is confidence. He seemed to find it towards the end of the season. It may have been in "garbage" time, but that shouldn't be underestimated. At least he found it. Just curious as to why so little faith in him.

Thigpen "57"
01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
It's a possibility. I think he will make the team because I don't think Kenny wants to lose him. If Ozzie is really going to carry 12 pitchers, he could earn that last spot (of course Wassermann would probably be the odd man out).

Would be a shame to not have Wassermann considering he was one of the most reliable in the second half outside of Big Bad Bobby. Massett is another one who still can shine, but he did not seem to fit in the relief roles he was put in last year. His spot start against the cubs on the other hand... well it was real niiice. He could be a good one to have for spot start/long relief so he can lighten the load for Floyd and Danks as their innings tally up.

Golly, I must be ready for baseball to start if I am typing about Massett's potential!

kaufsox
01-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I like the idea of faith in both, but for my personal hopes I'll be happy if one of them turns it on that will be good. If the other is only mediocre to slightly below average, we'll still be ok. Worst case, both of them implode, but I just don't see that happening. Like Spawn, I don't see why Floyd can't have a breakout year as opposed to Danks. Of course it is 1/29, and KW just might have another trade or two that makes this discussion moot and the competition for the 5th spot something to watch at spring training.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I think Danks will eventually, like Garland, become a successful major league starter.

I can't say the same for Floyd and have absolutely no idea how Contreras (age unknown) will perform.

I think the Sox are going to be a solid starter short this season (although there is still time to make a deal / sign someone). Kenny's admission that he actually offered a deal to Colon should say something as well, as opposed to his earlier comments about (paraphrasing) '29 teams would want Floyd or Danks' if they were on the market. (I think that's stretching things a wee bit! LOL)

Why don't I have faith in Floyd?

Because the first interview that I saw with him last February was when Dan Roan spoke with him. I saw a guy who was hesitant, quiet, and based on his answers, lacking in self confidence.

Not a good thing when you are facing ultra-competitive guys for a living.

I'm not saying athletes need to be pompous or jerks but all of them at this level have one thing in common, an unbridled desire to succeed and that comes across in their speech and body language.

I don't see that with Floyd.

Lip

sox1970
01-29-2008, 12:43 PM

Because the first interview that I saw with him last February was when Dan Roan spoke with him. I saw a guy who was hesitant, quiet, and based on his answers, lacking in self confidence.

I'm not saying athletes need to be pompous or jerks but all of them at this level have one thing in common, an unbridled desire to succeed and that comes across in their speech and body language.

Lip

I agree with you to an extent, and made the same observation last year. However, I thought Floyd's mound presence improved a ton late last season, and hopefully somebody got in his ear--whether it be Cooper or Juan Nieves at Charlotte.

On the other hand, Nick Masset seemed to be overly confident last spring, and he sucked pitching out of the pen, so it goes both ways.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I think the 2 things that Danks has going for himself that will help him be successful this year (besides being lefty) are:

1) I believe he has 3 above average pitches in his fastball, curveball, and changeup.
2) With one full year of the bigs under his belt, he has to know he wasn't conditioned as well as he should have to go the distance. Hopefully this lit a fire under him to work his butt off (ala Buehrle last offseason) to get in shape and strengthen up his legs to give us 180 solid IP's.

I remember watching Floyd last year, and I know he has some decent movement on his fastball, and a wicked curve, but what's his 3rd pitch?

Bottom line, KW traded for these 2 guys expecting them to be apart of our future rotation. We got a taste of Danks last year, and saw potential. This is the time for us and KW to find out if these guys have it in them to be solid, back end of the rotation, year in and year out SP's. If one of them completely bombs, then hopefully the rest of the rotation will be doing well enough where we'll still be in it, and we can make a move accordingly (Masset/Broadway/Egbert/trade for a SP).

The one thing I keep reminding people when they talk about how unsure the backend of our rotation is: besides Boston, there are a lot of teams out there with weak/unproven/unsure 4's and 5's (mainly Cleveland and Minnesota in our division).

SoxSpeed22
01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I actually worry about Contreras the most. Floyd showed a few things near the end of the season and Danks wore down in the last two months. Danks knows he must maintain his arm strength throughout the season and Floyd knows he must trust his stuff.
Contreras worries me because his age, the obvious one, but also he couldn't find the right arm angle at all and has not been the same since he hurt his back in 2006. We'll just have to wait and see what these guys do.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I actually worry about Contreras the most. Floyd showed a few things near the end of the season and Danks wore down in the last two months. Danks knows he must maintain his arm strength throughout the season and Floyd knows he must trust his stuff.
Contreras worries me because his age, the obvious one, but also he couldn't find the right arm angle at all and has not been the same since he hurt his back in 2006. We'll just have to wait and see what these guys do.

The only reason I feel strongly about him bouncing back, is because he can't do any worse. If had to have been disgusted with this past year, and everyone in the Sox organization says he's a workaholic. It seemed like he found his arm angle in September (over the top about 80-85% of the time), and had a great ERA to show for it.

That, combined with the divorce over with, as well as having Alexei there as a fellow Cuban to relate/talk to, can only help him this coming year.

nccwsfan
01-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Agree with several of the posters on this thread- I have confidence in Danks' ability to become a quality starter for the White Sox in 08', while the jury is out on Floyd. I hope I'm wrong. Contreras will be fine this year, probably similar in production to 06'.

Corlose 15
01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
I think Danks will eventually, like Garland, become a successful major league starter.

I can't say the same for Floyd and have absolutely no idea how Contreras (age unknown) will perform.

I think the Sox are going to be a solid starter short this season (although there is still time to make a deal / sign someone). Kenny's admission that he actually offered a deal to Colon should say something as well, as opposed to his earlier comments about (paraphrasing) '29 teams would want Floyd or Danks' if they were on the market. (I think that's stretching things a wee bit! LOL)

Lip

I think part of that is that Floyd is kind of a "bad interview", I listened to Rongey's interview with him at Soxfest and he was still hesitant and quiet but much more confident in himself.

Frater Perdurabo
01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Faith? No.

Reasonable degree of confidence? Yes.

soxlug
01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
I will face it that sisco was garbage last year in the big leagues and I loved it the year before whenever he would be brought in from the pen to pitch to us in relief against the Royals. Sisco should also be a topic of discussion when it comes to a long relief candidate due to his performance in Charlotte late last year and in the Winter Leagues. He is still young and has a decent upside. If I am not mistaken he was rushed to the majors going from A ball straight to the bigs. I think what you saw last year with him was to take a step back after being ineffective and re-evaluate him as a starter.

In my opinion when we talk of Masset who was not all that himself last year Sisco needs to be part of that equation and yes if Sisco is awesome this Spring then really there is not a whole lot to talk about, same goes for Masset.

A bullpen with 3 arms in the rotation that may be coin flips as whether or not it will be a quality start needs a long reliever and with Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton, MacDougal, Logan, Wassermann as a bullpen which one gives you 4 innings? If it were up to me either MacDougal or Wassermann do not make the team and is replaced by Masset or Sisco.

I love the Sox can't wait til April

gna2112
01-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Everybody has valid points on this topic, cuz spots 3-5 are a crap shoot. Hopefully, Contreras can rebound and have a successful year(personally believe he is the most important part of the rotation, needs to be a quality starter).

Danks/Floyd- both are risky propositions, but let's give them a chance to win and if it doesn't work out we will fill those areas of concern. I strongly believe Broadway is going to be the answer somewhere this season and for many seasons to come.

Finally, I believe the impending trade of Crede will fetch us a quality young starter in return. And if that indeed happens, I would take either Danks/Floyd as our 5th starter.

1. Buerhle
2. Vazquez
3. Contreras
4. Linecum( I know I am dreaming but a fair trade for Crede)
5. Danks/Floyd/Broadway? David

Corlose 15
01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd have better success playing pick up sticks with my buttcheeks than the Sox would have trying to trade Crede for Lincecum.

doublem23
01-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Lincecum.

For Crede.

:?:

spiffie
01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Everybody has valid points on this topic, cuz spots 3-5 are a crap shoot. Hopefully, Contreras can rebound and have a successful year(personally believe he is the most important part of the rotation, needs to be a quality starter).

Danks/Floyd- both are risky propositions, but let's give them a chance to win and if it doesn't work out we will fill those areas of concern. I strongly believe Broadway is going to be the answer somewhere this season and for many seasons to come.

Finally, I believe the impending trade of Crede will fetch us a quality young starter in return. And if that indeed happens, I would take either Danks/Floyd as our 5th starter.

1. Buerhle
2. Vazquez
3. Contreras
4. Linecum( I know I am dreaming but a fair trade for Crede)
5. Danks/Floyd/Broadway? David
I'm sorry, I'm not trading Crede for Lincecum unless they throw in Cain as well. Fair is fair.

spawn
01-29-2008, 04:06 PM

I still don't understand why people still think Crede has such a high trade value, considering he's coming off of back surgery.:dunno:

nccwsfan
01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not trading Crede for Lincecum unless they throw in Cain as well. Fair is fair.

Get real- no way the Giants make that trade unless we add Uribe to the deal.

champagne030
01-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I have a question for posters here: why so much faith in Danks and so little in Floyd? Most point to this being Danks first full season in the Majors and are willing to let him progress. Floyd has yet to pitch a full season in the Majors. Also, as others have pointed out, I think his biggest problem is confidence. He seemed to find it towards the end of the season. It may have been in "garbage" time, but that shouldn't be underestimated. At least he found it. Just curious as to why so little faith in him.

Danks is also 2+ years younger. Danks has improved each time he repeated a level. Floyd has stunk for years. Danks has the potential for 3 plus pitches. Floyd has the potential for 1 plus plus pitch.

SoxSpeed22
01-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Get real- no way the Giants make that trade unless we add Uribe to the deal.Or Ozuna, they could use a utility man.
Seriously though, Lincecum is completely untouchable.

rowand33
01-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Get real- no way the Giants make that trade unless we add Uribe to the deal.

We only throw in Uribe if they throw in Rowand

California Sox
01-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Danks is also 2+ years younger. Danks has improved each time he repeated a level. Floyd has stunk for years. Danks has the potential for 3 plus pitches. Floyd has the potential for 1 plus plus pitch.

On pure stuff I think Floyd is better. (He was drafted ahead of Teixera for a reason) Sure, out of the stretch he looks so robotic it seems like someone taught LTP to pitch, but he's got a plus fastball, and that curve is wicked. Danks has an average fastball, decent breaking stuff, a good change and decent command. Refined he's a good, but typical lefty. If Floyd harnesses his stuff, he's a strikeout machine. Of course, that's a giant if.

JB98
01-29-2008, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't mind having both Danks and Floyd in the rotation if I had faith in all three veterans starters.

Alas, Contreras has lost my confidence, and you never know what you're going to get from Vazquez. Hopefully, we get the 2007 Javy, not the 2006 Javy.

I like Danks better than Floyd. I expect both to have their ups and downs.

champagne030
01-29-2008, 07:51 PM
On pure stuff I think Floyd is better. (He was drafted ahead of Teixera for a reason) Sure, out of the stretch he looks so robotic it seems like someone taught LTP to pitch, but he's got a plus fastball, and that curve is wicked. Danks has an average fastball, decent breaking stuff, a good change and decent command. Refined he's a good, but typical lefty. If Floyd harnesses his stuff, he's a strikeout machine. Of course, that's a giant if.

Floyd got hurt or changed his arm angle since high school because he regularly sat at 93-94 with a two-seamer and 94-96 with the four-seam fastball his rookie year. He threw those pitches at 90-91 and 92-93 this past season. Danks throws that hard, but with better movement (although he leaves it up too much).

raven1
01-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't mind having both Danks and Floyd in the rotation if I had faith in all three veterans starters.

Alas, Contreras has lost my confidence, and you never know what you're going to get from Vazquez. Hopefully, we get the 2007 Javy, not the 2006 Javy.

I like Danks better than Floyd. I expect both to have their ups and downs.
Kenny Williams echoed the common theme on this thread when he identified Contreras as the biggest risk in the rotation in his mind. He justified keeping him due to his past track record of success & having a higher upside (if he's hot, he's the best starter on the staff) than anyone else available, but mentioned he would likely be 4th in the rotation so we wouldn't have 2 young guys pitching back to back in series.

KW also explained the reasoning behind his faith in Danks & Floyd in more detail. He believes in taking that risk because he sees more upside in both of them than in anyone else available, so much so that he is willing to stake his job on them rather than going the "safe" route of bringing in a more established but mediocre #4 or 5 starter.

Given the stakes involved and the possibly irreparable damage to the team's fan base/future revenues that another bad season would bring, at this point I'll take him at his word that he really believes this is the best move. He could be wrong (he freely admitted his mistake with last year's bullpen), but I would rather see a gamble to win it all than to just shoot for a second or third place finish. If it doesn't work out, the Sox may very well have a new GM in 2009.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Kenny Williams echoed the common theme on this thread when he identified Contreras as the biggest risk in the rotation in his mind. He justified keeping him due to his past track record of success & having a higher upside (if he's hot, he's the best starter on the staff) than anyone else available, but mentioned he would likely be 4th in the rotation so we wouldn't have 2 young guys pitching back to back in series.

KW also explained the reasoning behind his faith in Danks & Floyd in more detail. He believes in taking that risk because he sees more upside in both of them than in anyone else available, so much so that he is willing to stake his job on them rather than going the "safe" route of bringing in a more established but mediocre #4 or 5 starter.

Given the stakes involved and the possibly irreparable damage to the team's fan base/future revenues that another bad season would bring, at this point I'll take him at his word that he really believes this is the best move. He could be wrong (he freely admitted his mistake with last year's bullpen), but I would rather see a gamble to win it all than to just shoot for a second or third place finish. If it doesn't work out, the Sox may very well have a new GM in 2009.

I was with you until that last line.....

raven1
01-29-2008, 08:43 PM
I was with you until that last line.....
By not working out I meant another 90-loss season due to a repeat of the 2004 5th starter fiasco. Anything that bad would require some major actions to retain the credibility of the franchise. If at least 4 of the 5 starters are ok and the Sox at least contend, we'll have KW around for a long time.

gogosox16
01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
I still don't understand why people still think Crede has such a high trade value, considering he's coming off of back surgery.:dunno:
Because people still think he will come back and be the same player as he was in 2005 and 2006...In which he can but he has to prove himself again...He's practically a rookie that you can't really know what your going to get out of him. Crede will be one of the late roster moves at the end of spring training if he proves he's healthy...if he doesn't prove he's completely healthy then I believe he would either start with the Sox or start on the DL for more rest then when they feel the time is right to let him play and prove himself before trading him.

gogosox16
01-29-2008, 09:20 PM
By not working out I meant another 90-loss season due to a repeat of the 2004 5th starter fiasco. Anything that bad would require some major actions to retain the credibility of the franchise. If at least 4 of the 5 starters are ok and the Sox at least contend, we'll have KW around for a long time.
If one of Danks, Floyd, or Contreras is struggling and the sox are still in contention by the trading deadline, I can almost gurantee that Kenny would make a move to get a starter to solidify the rotation...They have already commited in winning now by trading all their top prospects.

turners56
01-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I just noticed Gavin Floyd is a lot like Rich Hill. No curveball = horrible. Has curveball = good. If we can get anything close Hill got the Cubs last year (11-8 record near 4 ERA), it would be great. But, that's a huge hope if not anything else.