PDA

View Full Version : B Anderson about to be traded?

KyWhiSoxFan
01-28-2008, 07:59 AM
This is in the Sun-Times today. What is this about BA?

"Second base will be the biggest spring battle, with Danny Richar, Juan Uribe, Alexei Ramirez and Pablo Ozuna each getting a look. Jerry Owens and Carlos Quentin could be headed for a platoon situation in the outfield, while Brian Anderson is headed for a National League team in a trade."

Sockinchisox
01-28-2008, 08:17 AM

"Second base will be the biggest spring battle, with Danny Richar, Juan Uribe, Alexei Ramirez and Pablo Ozuna each getting a look. Jerry Owens and Carlos Quentin could be headed for a platoon situation in the outfield, while Brian Anderson is headed for a National League team in a trade."

Woah good catch, the article makes it sound like it's a matter of fact, not speculation or anything.

chaerulez
01-28-2008, 08:54 AM
It's hard to trust a source who claims Pablo Ozuna has a legit shot at a starting job.

doublem23
01-28-2008, 09:26 AM
It's hard to trust a source who claims Pablo Ozuna has a legit shot at a starting job.

:rolling:

white sox bill
01-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Maybe BA could hit in the inferior NL.

thedudeabides
01-28-2008, 11:07 AM

Do you have a link to the article? I must be overlooking it.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Do you have a link to the article? I must be overlooking it.

It's Crowley's story about Soxfest.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/762294,CST-SPT-sox28.article

Flight #24
01-28-2008, 11:20 AM

Any of the attendees able to comment on whether this was even tangentially mentioned by anyone at SoxFest?

voodoochile
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Not Crowley, Cowley and he's a total dumbass. Couldn't find a Sox logo with either hand if it was tattooed on his ass...

thedudeabides
01-28-2008, 11:32 AM

Thanks. I read that article and initially didn't even pick up on that. Then again it is from Cowley so my brain just probably didn't even allow it to register. :cool:

He says it like it's already a done deal. :rolleyes:

munchman33
01-28-2008, 11:43 AM

I don't trust Kenny Williams either.

spawn
01-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't trust Kenny Williams either.
Couldn't resist throwing a jab Kenny's way, could you? :rolleyes:

munchman33
01-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Couldn't resist throwing a jab Kenny's way, could you? :rolleyes:

My point is that Cowley got that directly from Kenny's mouth. I heard him say it on the news in an interview at Soxfest.

spawn
01-28-2008, 11:57 AM
My point is that Cowley got that directly from Kenny's mouth. I heard him say it on the news in an interview at Soxfest.
So you heard Kenny tell this to Cowley?

kittle42
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I would be happy if this happened for the same reason I was happy when Jeremy Reed left - people on these message boards.

Rockabilly
01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Lets say BA is traded and we have a major injury to one of our outfielders... Who do we have to bring up

rowand33
01-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Lets say BA is traded and we have a major injury to one of our outfielders... Who do we have to bring up

Well, as far as people that can play the outfield go, we currently have:

Dye
Swisher
Owens
Quentin
Ozuna
Fields

we'll be ok.

Rockabilly
01-28-2008, 12:26 PM

Dye
Swisher
Owens
Quentin
Ozuna
Fields

we'll be ok.

KW said Fields wont be playing in the OF again. Hopefully Ramirez will be ready to play at the major league level

munchman33
01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
So you heard Kenny tell this to Cowley?

You're right, just because Kenny said it to the media doesn't mean Cowley personally has the right to write it. :?:

rowand33
01-28-2008, 12:29 PM
KW said Fields wont be playing in the OF again. Hopefully Ramirez will be ready to play at the major league level

we don't want him there, but he could.

We dont' want Ozuna back there either.

The point was, if we trade BA and then lose an outfielder to injury, the sky will not fall.

spawn
01-28-2008, 12:32 PM
You're right, just because Kenny said it to the media doesn't mean Cowley personally has the right to write it. :?:
Well, my point is we have no idea what Kenny told Cowley. Just because Cowley says Kenny told him that doesn't mean it actually happened. So again I ask: Did you actually hear KW say this? I know I have seen it reported anywhere else.

Flight #24
01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
If Kenny told that to Cowley, then it's legit that he writes it (and I'd even argue that it's his job). A comment like that coming directly from the GM is not speculation. And it's unfortunately in keeping with the org giving up on Brian for whatever reason and simply waiting for the right time to dump him. Given that CF is still a ?, I'd much rather that they keep him and give him a legit shot to prove that he's turned a corner and can take that job rather than giving him away for what will likely be little return (given my estimate of his current value).

Now if people want to say Cowley's lying when he says Kenny told him that, that's fine - but I don't know how one would prove that in either direction.

spawn
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
If Kenny told that to Cowley, then it's legit that he writes it (and I'd even argue that it's his job). A comment like that coming directly from the GM is not speculation. And it's unfortunately in keeping with the org giving up on Brian for whatever reason and simply waiting for the right time to dump him. Given that CF is still a ?, I'd much rather that they keep him and give him a legit shot to prove that he's turned a corner and can take that job rather than giving him away for what will likely be little return (given my estimate of his current value).

Now if people want to say Cowley's lying when he says Kenny told him that, that's fine - but I don't know how one would prove that in either direction.
I agree 100%. As far as Cowley lying...I don't know. But I'm not going to take his word as gospel.

thedudeabides
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I agree 100%. As far as Cowley lying...I don't know. But I'm not going to take his word as gospel.

I don't understand what the big deal is. He said that Ozuna will be one of the guys in spring training getting a look. He will get a look. I doubt he will be seriously competing for the starting job, but he will be competing for playing time.

spawn
01-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I don't understand what the big deal is. He said that Ozuna will be one of the guys in spring training getting a look. He will get a look. I doubt he will be seriously competing for the starting job, but he will be competing for playing time.
I don't really care what he had to say about Ozuna. It's his reporting that BA wa headed to the NL as fact is what I'm talking about.

thedudeabides
01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't really care what he had to say about Ozuna. It's his reporting that BA wa headed to the NL as fact is what I'm talking about.

Sorry, I should probably read the whole thread before chiming in. :duck:

Pequod
01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Merkin is saying 3 NL teams are interested in BA:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080128&content_id=2357719&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

JermaineDye05
01-28-2008, 04:39 PM

Dye
Swisher
Owens
Quentin
Ozuna
Fields

we'll be ok.

Scratch Fields of that list, KW said the Josh Fields experiment in the OF is done. You can add Alexei Ramirez to that list though, since he can also play the outfield along with the middle infield positions.

nevr say dye sox
01-28-2008, 08:42 PM
MLB rumors is reporting the sox are on the verge of trading Brian Anderson to a NL team possibly Padres or the Cubs. The site says a possible deal may be done by the end of the week.

goon
01-28-2008, 08:52 PM
link...

steely712
01-28-2008, 09:01 PM
What is anyone going to give us for Brian Anderson? I hope we can get a steal from some poor sap, but Brian Anderson? Come on!

Martinigirl
01-28-2008, 09:02 PM
I really hope it is not to the Cubs because I really think he is going to have a great career, it just wasn't meant to be with us, and I don't want to have to see him achieve it with the Cubs.

Johnny Mostil
01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Is their source WSI (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97052)?:redneck

raven1
01-28-2008, 09:22 PM
I wonder if we could send him to the Mets as a bonus if they'll trade for Santana?

oeo
01-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Is their source WSI (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97052)?:redneck

Wouldn't doubt it.

MCHSoxFan
01-28-2008, 09:34 PM

Tell me about it! I saw NO link on the website! :?:

Madvora
01-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Tell me about it! I saw NO link on the website! :?:
Check out post #7

Sockinchisox
01-28-2008, 09:43 PM
MLB rumors is reporting the sox are on the verge of trading Brian Anderson to a NL team possibly Padres or the Cubs. The site says a possible deal may be done by the end of the week.

The Padres would make a lot of sense if the Cubs want more for Murton, they could put Edmonds in left and BA in center.

But I'm betting this guy is getting his news from the Sun-Times article/Rotoworld.

PalehosePlanet
01-28-2008, 09:43 PM
What is anyone going to give us for Brian Anderson? I hope we can get a steal from some poor sap, but Brian Anderson? Come on!

His value is very low now, agreed. Still, I hope KW is not selling-low on him and is asking for something decent for him in return, otherwise, we'd be wise to hang onto him into the season. Maybe he could build up his value with a hot start in AAA.

I was hoping, as an example, we'd go after someone like Ricky Nolasco of the Marlins (apparently their scouts have always liked BA.)

cbrownson13
01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
It was on rotoworld earlier today. It was from a Sun-Times article that said Brian Anderson is on his way to a National League club and then lists POSSIBLE destinations of the Pirates, Marlins, Cubs, Padres, Braves, and Reds.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=CWS

HBaines03
01-28-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry to say but I think we will be wishing we hadn't traded Brian Anderson, if it really happens. I have been to spring training the last 3 years and was never impressed with Jerry Owens as he always seemed lazy in his efforts in the field. Brian Anderson is superior to Owens defensively and I believe he will become a solid major league hitter as well. I never felt like the Sox gave him time to grow like other teams let there youngsters. He was a one and done starter and unfortunately he had a bad 1st half that cost him. Compare that to Dye and Konerko's 1st half last year and he may have had a chance if it were during the same season. If he is traded, best of luck to him.

MCHSoxFan
01-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Check out post #7

I meant on MLBTradeRumours.

champagne030
01-28-2008, 10:49 PM
His value is very low now, agreed. Still, I hope KW is not selling-low on him and is asking for something decent for him in return, otherwise, we'd be wise to hang onto him into the season. Maybe he could build up his value with a hot start in AAA.

I was hoping, as an example, we'd go after someone like Ricky Nolasco of the Marlins (apparently their scouts have always liked BA.)

That would be a pretty good fetch at this point. I still wish that McCarthy and Walnuts would have let BA kick the **** out of Ozzie Jr.

Lorenzo Barcelo
01-28-2008, 11:15 PM
That would be a pretty good fetch at this point. I still wish that McCarthy and Walnuts would have let BA kick the **** out of Ozzie Jr.

Whats happened between Ozzie Jr and BA?

munchman33
01-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Well, my point is we have no idea what Kenny told Cowley. Just because Cowley says Kenny told him that doesn't mean it actually happened. So again I ask: Did you actually hear KW say this? I know I have seen it reported anywhere else.

here.

ksimpson14
01-29-2008, 01:18 AM
I wouldn't like a BA trade, you have to think his value is at rock bottom, so if we're going to get some low minor league roster spot, what's the point and what's the harm in keeping him? There must be something else to the Anderson saga

Grzegorz
01-29-2008, 05:38 AM
I really hope it is not to the Cubs because I really think he is going to have a great career, it just wasn't meant to be with us, and I don't want to have to see him achieve it with the Cubs.

That would be poetic justice... I say let it happen.

TomBradley72
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
This seems like an example of trading a guy at the lowest point of his trade value. I'd keep him through spring training...see if he really has "received the wake up call" and possibly get a lift in his trade value.

Any discussion of outfield depth that includes Fields and Ozuna is clear evidence of our lack of OF depth.

slavko
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
There's an upside to keeping him in that we're going to get nothing worthwhile for him. Put him at AAA and see if he looks like he's realizing his potential. It's not like one or more of the guys we have on the ML roster is not likely to wet the bed and leave a hole in the lineup or the field, or both. If worst comes to sausage, BA might help us yet. At the very least, he can increase his trade value. Lord knows, it can't get any lower.

spawn
01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
There's an upside to keeping him in that we're going to get nothing worthwhile for him. Put him at AAA and see if he looks like he's realizing his potential. It's not like one or more of the guys we have on the ML roster is not likely to wet the bed and leave a hole in the lineup or the field, or both. If worst comes to sausage, BA might help us yet. At the very least, he can increase his trade value. Lord knows, it can't get any lower.
Word. I'd like to see what he's got. I'd like to see if his attitude has changed, and if he really has decided to take things seriously. Hopefully, if BA is in camp, Ozzie doesn't hold his past transgressions against him if he is indeed trying to turn over a new leaf.

thedudeabides
01-29-2008, 12:02 PM

If he is already viewed as a partier, how well would it work out if he was playing day games on the north side? That sounds like career suicide to me. :o:

Tragg
01-29-2008, 12:44 PM
while Brian Anderson is headed for a National League team in a trade." Is there anyone else on the roster that can play an above average CF?
I agree with the comment above that it's the lowest point in his value....If it's a matter of giving him away, there's nothing to be gained as this club still doesn't have a defensive center fielder.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
This seems like an example of trading a guy at the lowest point of his trade value. I'd keep him through spring training...see if he really has "received the wake up call" and possibly get a lift in his trade value.

Any discussion of outfield depth that includes Fields and Ozuna is clear evidence of our lack of OF depth.

If there are no automatic say yes offers out there for BA, there's no reason to trade him. Best case scenario is he did bust his ass this offseason, he hits extremely well in AAA, and next year (if Thome doesn't come back), we have Dye at DH, Quentin in RF, Swisher in LF, and Anderson in CF. 2/3rds of that OF defense is above average (BA and Quentin), while Swisher can definitely hold his own in his original, more comfortable, corner OF spot.

Here's to hoping....:gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
01-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Why trade him for someone else's garbage?

Even if he shows no improvement this spring he has value as a 4th/5th OF, something the Sox lack right now. There's no question about his CF glove, so he could be a valuable late-inning defensive substitution, especially if Owens starts a game in LF and Swisher starts in CF (move Swisher to LF and put Anderson in CF for better defense to protect a lead).

D. TODD
01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Sounds like the score is reporting that Cincy & San Diego are the front runners for his services.

Tragg
01-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Sounds like the score is reporting that Cincy & San Diego are the front runners for his services.
Competition - maybe we'll get something legit for him.
But the Sox could use him this year, as Frater described - don't give him away.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Let's get a package together and get Norris Hopper from CIN or Justin Hampson (lefty reliever from IL) from SD. They just caught my eye quickly from their stats.

PalehosePlanet
01-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Let's get a package together and get Norris Hopper from CIN or Justin Hampson (lefty reliever from IL) from SD. They just caught my eye quickly from their stats.

Isn't Hopper a CF'er? I'm not sure why Cinci would need BA.

But, yes, I'd love to put together a package for Hopper or Brandon Phillips (probably expensive...I know.) Ryan Freel would also be welcome.

jenn2080
01-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Word. I'd like to see what he's got. I'd like to see if his attitude has changed, and if he really has decided to take things seriously. Hopefully, if BA is in camp, Ozzie doesn't hold his past transgressions against him if he is indeed trying to turn over a new leaf.

Double word. I think he has a lot of potential and for the most part have been a big fan of him. I would really like to succeed with the White Sox. I think if we trade him now we are going to regret it.

Sockinchisox
01-29-2008, 02:12 PM

Anderson for Jay Bruce.

SoxyStu
01-29-2008, 02:44 PM

Ya, that'll never happen. Remember, Ozzie is racist! (*** is with the word of the color choice no longer popping up? - we color blind people needed that help...now i guess i have the police after me...)

All kidding aside, whether he is/is not/will not be garbage, he blew his chance here. If he blew it because of a piss poor work ethic, then that's all the more egg he is responsible for that landed on Kenny's face (for Anderson's play circa 2006 and the arrival of Young in Zona, circa 2007). He's got to go, sianara.

ode to veeck
01-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Not Crowley, Cowley and he's a total dumbass. Couldn't find a Sox logo with either hand if it was tattooed on his ass...

not even a teenie weenie itsy bitty tiny notch above the Moron, can't believe the crumb times continues to pay these idiots

RowanDye
01-29-2008, 03:48 PM

Dye
Swisher
Owens
Quentin
Ozuna
Fields

we'll be ok.

Are you even the least bit concerned about defense?

I was going to put my trust in the organization on this issue and advocate getting something for Anderson while they still can, that is until I started looking into the defensive options for '08.

Only Swisher and Owens can play CF, neither particularly well. If one of those two gets hurt we will be seeing visions of Mackowiak in CF.

Any combination of Swisher, Owens, and Dye will be one of the worst defensive outfields in all of baseball; with runners taking extra bases at will.

I thought I heard that Swisher had a decent throwing arm, as it turns out he was only slightly better than Owens last year (link (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/best-outfield-arms-of-2007/)).

I know a lot of you don't like defensive statistics, but it's hard to argue with stats like "kills" and "holds" for rough comparison.

Last year Swisher and Owens could only muster enough arm strength to beat out Nook Logan and Juan Pierre! Dye didn't do much better in RF.

The Sox should trade Anderson if they think he has no shot at making the team, but that move should be followed by something to increase the depth in CF. Too bad the only options that come to mind are Corey Patterson and Kenny Lofton.

Other than Anderson, do the Sox even have a true CF in the organization?

Can Alexei Ramirez actually play CF, or are they just projecting him there b/c of need and speed?

voodoochile
01-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Ya, that'll never happen. Remember, Ozzie is racist! (*** is with the word of the color choice no longer popping up? - we color blind people needed that help...now i guess i have the police after me...)

All kidding aside, whether he is/is not/will not be garbage, he blew his chance here. If he blew it because of a piss poor work ethic, then that's all the more egg he is responsible for that landed on Kenny's face (for Anderson's play circa 2006 and the arrival of Young in Zona, circa 2007). He's got to go, sianara.

:tealtutor:

5 over 1 down or 2nd row, 5th column.

Wouldn't want the police after you after all...:tongue:

russ99
01-29-2008, 04:57 PM
not even a teenie weenie itsy bitty tiny notch above the Moron, can't believe the crumb times continues to pay these idiots

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Stirring the dirt is what sells papers, though Moronotti's bitter smear campaign against Reinsdorf is starting to become of humorously biblical proportions. If anyone says anything about the Sox or Bulls, out the smear column comes blaming Jerry for something.

I'm waiting for the Moronotti column ripping Jerry's judgment because Reinsdorf ate too much Mexican food and got a bad stomachache. :D:
Any excuse...

Also, I guess it's in vogue to slam the Sox again. The way the press made it sound, a gang of angry Sox fan vigilantes were going to be waiting for Kenny at SoxFest with torches and baseball bats.

As I recall Alexei Ramirez played CF in Cuba and also on the Cuban team at Bud's Baseball Craptacular. Playing SS is his own preference, but he can play all 3 outfield positions, 2B and SS.

RowanDye
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
The SCORE reported today that it's down to the Reds and Padres.

I imagine KW is simply looking for some minor leaguers in return.

spawn
01-29-2008, 05:06 PM
The SCORE reported today that it's down to the Reds and Padres.

I imagine KW is simply looking for some minor leaguers in return.
Didn't the Score also report that Konerko was traded to the Rangers? :rolling:

SoxyStu
01-29-2008, 07:18 PM
:tealtutor:

5 over 1 down or 2nd row, 5th column.

Wouldn't want the police after you after all...:tongue:

Sweet! Now I can avoid being in these in the future:

http://mountkirima.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/handcuffs.jpg