PDA

View Full Version : Santana traded in the next 10 days?

doublem23
01-28-2008, 12:58 AM
According to Charley Waters, a columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Buster Olney says Waters is pretty good at reading what the Twinks will do, take it for what it's worth.

http://www.twincities.com/dailydose/ci_8088611?nclick_check=1

All the reports are suggesting the Twins may not get the haul they were anticipating. If so... :bandance:

Nellie_Fox
01-28-2008, 01:34 AM
According to Charley Waters, a columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Buster Olney says Waters is pretty good at reading what the Twinks will do, take it for what it's worth.

http://www.twincities.com/dailydose/ci_8088611?nclick_check=1

All the reports are suggesting the Twins may not get the haul they were anticipating. If so... :bandance:Charlie Waters, AKA "the Shooter," is best known for being as full of crap as a Christmas goose. He just throws stuff at the wall, figuring some of it will stick.

Fenway
01-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Twins would be insane to make a deal now.

Come July either NYY or Boston will be behind in the AL East. Meanwhile the Twins COULD be still alive in the AL Central but if not either Boston or NYY will give the Twins more than they can get now.

doublem23
01-28-2008, 03:10 AM

Come July either NYY or Boston will be behind in the AL East. Meanwhile the Twins COULD be still alive in the AL Central but if not either Boston or NYY will give the Twins more than they can get now.

Santana has the Twins by the balls because he has a full no-trade clause and won't accept a trade to a team that won't be willing to sign him to his enormous extension. If they don't move him he's going to walk at the end of the year and they'll lose the best pitcher in baseball for a 1st round draft pick.

thomas35forever
01-28-2008, 11:55 AM
They reported on ESPN this morning he would most likely be headed to the Mets, but the Yankees and Red Sox are still in the running.

Nellie_Fox
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM

Come July either NYY or Boston will be behind in the AL East. Meanwhile the Twins COULD be still alive in the AL Central but if not either Boston or NYY will give the Twins more than they can get now.I seem to remember Santana saying that, once the season starts, he won't waive his no-trade clause. Of course, money could change his mind, but the Twins have to consider that they will lose him for nothing but a couple of draft picks if they don't make a move now.

guillen4life13
01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
If Santana is back and Liriano is back to form, the Twins are going to be pretty scary.

thedudeabides
01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Charlie Waters, AKA "the Shooter," is best known for being as full of crap as a Christmas goose. He just throws stuff at the wall, figuring some of it will stick.

I get the feeling that's what everybody is doing. There have been too many people that seem to think they are plugged into this situation. I'm sure once he's traded it's going to be different than what the reports have been.

It feels like the Yanks and Red Sox have just been trying to keep Santana away from the other team. Neither seems to want to make the commitment of prospects and a ton of money, even though they can. Just too many rumors coming out from those teams.

I'd imagine the Twins would prefer to send him to the NL, and that's why many think the Mets are the front runners. Anyone else think there could be other teams getting involved?

Rockabilly
01-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I pray to god that Santana goes to the Mets.. I don't want to see him pitch aganist the Sox...

Hokiesox
01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
If Santana is back and Liriano is back to form, the Twins are going to be pretty scary.

Remember, those two can only pitch 2 of every 5 games.

sox1970
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
I want the Mets to get Santana, but a reminder that the Twins went 17-16 when he pitched last year.

They'll be under .500 with him or without him.

Flight #24
01-28-2008, 01:07 PM
By all accounts, even if the Red Sox and/or Yankees have slightly better offers, the Twins are (rightly IMO) considering that if dealt within the AL, Santana will hurt them for years to come, so they'd rather take a lesser deal from the Mets.

Hopefully that comes to pass. They don't get the full haul they wanted and he's out of the AL = :bandance:

peeonwrigley
01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Hopefully that comes to pass. They don't get the full haul they wanted and he's out of the AL = :bandance:

Agreed. I'd imagine Johan's stats in the NL would be pretty decent.

russ99
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
That timeline makes sense for 2 reasons.

1. Pitchers & Catchers is 2.5 weeks away! :D::D: If the Twins want to avoid distraction this spring, they need to deal him beforehand.

2. Do you really think the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets are going to increase their offers at the trade deadline for a guy they can sign for free in November?? The best the Twins will get for Santana is right now, even though the return is less than advertised from early December. If they wait until the season starts, cut at least one prospect from all trade offers.

I for one hope he goes to the Mets. No more Santana in the AL is good news for the Sox.