PDA

View Full Version : Rauch

sox_fan_4life
04-21-2002, 05:06 PM
From what others said he did not look good today. I didn't see the game so I don't know if he was being squeezed, or if it was the weather,or what it was. But I do know that it is only his second start and the Sox will certainly give him more starts. i look for him to improve with every start.

cheeses_h_rice
04-21-2002, 05:09 PM
He didn't look good. Often up high in the zone or right down the pipe. Hawk said that a specialty pitcher like him often has a hard time in really cold weather, so I'm not too worried about it.

Kilroy
04-21-2002, 05:10 PM
He didn't look particularly good. He had some decent fastballs, and his curve is a yakker, but his location was killing him. As far as getting squeezed, I'd say no, but in the first, he definitely threw strike 3 for the third out before the 3 run double.

duke of dorwood
04-21-2002, 06:40 PM
You are right-that blown strike call was Rauch's undoing today. It was brutal

Bmr31
04-22-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

Him getting beat like a drum had nothing to do with it?? :?:

GASHWOUND
04-22-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
He didn't look particularly good. He had some decent fastballs, and his curve is a yakker, but his location was killing him. As far as getting squeezed, I'd say no, but in the first, he definitely threw strike 3 for the third out before the 3 run double.

He has a GREAT curve, but his problem yesterday, like yoyu said is his location. The guy doesn't throw hard enough to leave fastballs down the middle and when he does the opposition is gonna crush it. The guy needs to learn how to spot that fastball, or he's in big trouble. But he does have a major league curve, which i love.

RedPinStripes
04-22-2002, 07:14 AM
He's got a real nasty curve. Looks like the bottom just falls out of it. They say he's only throwing 90, but it looked at least 95 to me. Might be decieveing since he's 7ft. tall

rmusacch
04-22-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
He didn't look good. Often up high in the zone or right down the pipe. Hawk said that a specialty pitcher like him often has a hard time in really cold weather, so I'm not too worried about it.

Sometimes I wonder if Hawk knows what he is talking about. Before the game started, he said weather like that favors the pitchers because hitters do not want to swing the bats. Then after the game he did say that pitchers with a speciality pitch have a hard time in weather like that. Don't all pitchers have at least one speciality pitch?

rmusacch
04-22-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

A major league pitcher should be able to recover from that. That is one of the problems that Kip Wells had. I hope we do not have another Kip Wells on our hands.

Kilroy
04-22-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch

A major league pitcher should be able to recover from that. That is one of the problems that Kip Wells had. I hope we do not have another Kip Wells on our hands.

He was busy recovering from the hit batsman and walks that he handed out. He did a great job of that, getting 2 outs, then totally fooling halter on that 2-2 pitch. He shoulda been hopping over the chalk on his way to his seat. But instead, thank you Mr. Umpire, he had to toss the fat one to Halter who didn't have anything to think about.

Not many ML hitters are gonna miss a 3-2 fastball with the bases loaded. Maybe next time, Rauch takes his chances with the curve since the hitter's probably gonna be sitting dead-red.

Randar68
04-22-2002, 10:15 AM

Well, as someone who has seen Rauch pitch pre-injury in the minors and seen him pitch both in person and on TV in the makors I can give you two assessments completely consistent with the surgery he had...

1) His command is not yet back to where it was in the minors
2) His velocity is also not back to where it was pre-injury.

I expect both of these to continue to improve as the season progresses and the temperature warms. However, after seeing what I have seen thus far, he won't be back to pre-injury form until next year, IMO.

If you want numerical proof, look at his K:BB:IP ratios from his minor league career and compare them to current. Also, as any rookie will, he has been squeezed at times. I have also not seen him throw many changes at all, and that was a strong pitch of his pre-injury.

Relax, the Kip Wells comment is extremely uninformed. Rauch never looks intimidated or freaked-out while on the mound, in any situation...

Iguana775
04-22-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, as someone who has seen Rauch pitch pre-injury in the minors and seen him pitch both in person and on TV in the makors I can give you two assessments completely consistent with the surgery he had...

I expect both of these to continue to improve as the season progresses and the temperature warms. However, after seeing what I have seen thus far, he won't be back to pre-injury form until next year, IMO.

If you want numerical proof, look at his K:BB:IP ratios from his minor league career and compare them to current. Also, as any rookie will, he has been squeezed at times. I have also not seen him throw many changes at all, and that was a strong pitch of his pre-injury.

Relax, the Kip Wells comment is extremely uninformed. Rauch never looks intimidated or freaked-out while on the mound, in any situation...

well if he is not 100% why is he here?? is our starting pitching that pathetic that we need to rush rauch back from an injury and possibly cause more problems??

i guess i would rather have rauch than Jim 'melted butter' Parque.

doublem23
04-22-2002, 11:26 AM
Sometimes I wonder if Hawk knows what he is talking about. Before the game started, he said weather like that favors the pitchers because hitters do not want to swing the bats. Then after the game he did say that pitchers with a speciality pitch have a hard time in weather like that. Don't all pitchers have at least one speciality pitch?

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4288.jpg
No.

Randar68
04-22-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
well if he is not 100% why is he here?? is our starting pitching that pathetic that we need to rush rauch back from an injury and possibly cause more problems??

In short, yes.

1) He is healthy, in that he won't reinjure himself by pitching at this point, but a year off from pitching does affect your strength and endurance, which in turn affest your control/velocity. It takes time to come back to form.
2) We traded Kip, Fogg, Guerrier, and Lowe, any of which could be useful #5 guys at this point and would be healthy and in top form (whatever that form was for each).

Randar68
04-22-2002, 11:35 AM
Don't all pitchers have at least one speciality pitch?

:burly

"Whatcha talkin' about, WILLIS!?!?!?"

Huisj
04-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

The guy better not get intimidated, he's stinking 6'11"! He's the tallest guy in baseball . . . ever.