PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fields

MaggPipes
01-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Will Josh produce even a fraction of the amount of SB's that he put up in the minors? Or will we see the HR's and the 1 SB like we did last year, has there been any discussion on this?

Sockinchisox
01-26-2008, 11:31 AM
I think 10-15 SB is a reasonable expectation.

oeo
01-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Will Josh produce even a fraction of the amount of SB's that he put up in the minors? Or will we see the HR's and the 1 SB like we did last year, has there been any discussion on this?

I could be wrong, but I think I remember something about Fields having a hamstring problem last year, which would attribute to him not being at 100% speed.

He only had two attempts last year, and I would think if he was completely healthy, Ozzie would have had him running a lot more.

EDIT: Here's the article from August that I'm referring to: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070808&content_id=2137550&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

It was sore when I came up, but it's something you play through. But it takes a piece of your game away you would like to have. I can run, but I just haven't shown it up here. The more I get on base and the more I feel comfortable in my legs, getting them looser, maybe I can steal a few more.

And IIRC, his two attempts came at the end of the year, so maybe it was starting to feel better then.

voodoochile
01-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I could be wrong, but I think I remember something about Fields having a hamstring problem last year, which would attribute to him not being at 100% speed.

He only had two attempts last year, and I would think if he was completely healthy, Ozzie would have had him running a lot more.

Josh also said that he lost some of his legs when he moved to LF where he was forced to do a lot more running during each game than he was at 3B. Add in the fact that he was a rookie who kind of got thrown into the fire when Crede went down and that the Sox probably didn't want to overload him with too many options too early in his career. If he can hit and play defense, then the SB's will come down the road. Sort of like a new QB - you don't open the entire playbook their first start.

Grzegorz
01-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Josh also said that he lost some of his legs when he moved to LF where he was forced to do a lot more running during each game than he was at 3B.

That's really surprising and disappointing to hear. It seems as if he was not well conditioned last year.

Lets hope his work habits change for the better for '08.

oeo
01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
That's really surprising and disappointing to hear. It seems as if he was not well conditioned last year.

So because an infielder wasn't conditioned to play the outfield, you're questioning his work ethic? :?:

It can't help that he was out there running around in circles, either.

sullythered
01-26-2008, 12:07 PM

What?:?:

soxinem1
01-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Conditioning for OF's and INF's is different. To say Field's was dissapointing because he was not prepared to play a position he had virtually no experience playing is silly.

I could see Fields being a good SB guy like CLee was. He picked his spots well, and was a high % base-stealer. For him to get 15-25 SB's would be neat.

He reminds me a bit of David Wright, who is also a stocky guy. He stole over 30 last year, and no one really noticed...

Grzegorz
01-26-2008, 12:15 PM
So because an infielder wasn't conditioned to play the outfield, you're questioning his work ethic? :?:

It can't help that he was out there running around in circles, either.

Yeah, I do question whether he worked hard enough on his conditioning. It's left field in baseball. Come to the game in shape and ready to play.

That's not really to much to ask is it?

MaggPipes
01-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Playing left and 3rd base are extremely different as far as the toll it takes on your legs. Day in and day out, that kind of grind you can be in the best shape needed for 3b, but then be far away from being used to playing left. That is just obvious....

oeo
01-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I do question whether he worked hard enough on his conditioning. It's left field in baseball. Come to the game in shape and ready to play.

He's a third baseman, he wasn't conditioned to play left field.

Grzegorz
01-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Conditioned to play left field that's a joke right?

What is different, concerning conditioning, between the infield and outfield?

Daver
01-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Conditioned to play left field that's a joke right?

What is different, concerning conditioning, between the infield and outfield?

Infielders don't do running drills, out fielders do.

Infielders don't chase flyballs in practice, outfielders do.

There is a large difference.

joepoe
01-26-2008, 09:17 PM
SB's??? I am more worried that he is more like Ron Kittle than Mike Schmidt. I pray to Bova he is not a one-year wonder.

Grzegorz
01-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Daver,

I cannot fathom any ballplayer not not working on his legs before, during, and after the season.

By working on their legs I mean a balanced program of endurance and speed training.

After all, they have to run hard to first base when running out a hit. Base runners going from first to third better be prepared to run hard.

I'd expect my infielders and outfields to run just as hard regardless of their God given physical skills. I also expect them to perform these functions with as little risk of injury as possible.

Training mitigates these risks.

Daver
01-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Daver,

I cannot fathom any ballplayer not not working on his legs before, during, and after the season.

By working on their legs I mean a balanced program of endurance and speed training.

After all, they have to run hard to first base when running out a hit. Base runners going from first to third better be prepared to run hard.

I'd expect my infielders and outfields to run just as hard regardless of their God given physical skills. I also expect them to perform these functions with as little risk of injury as possible.

Training mitigates these risks.

That is why infielders do crouch drills, jump drills, and side to side drills. They work their legs to perform the tasks they need them to perform.

FedEx227
01-26-2008, 10:13 PM
That is why infielders do crouch drills, jump drills, and side to side drills. They work their legs to perform the tasks they need them to perform.

Exactly, running as an infielder is MUCH different than running as an outfielder. Different drills, in some cases different muscles... if you're use to playing infield the first couple of times playing outfield will drain you because of the amount of forward and backward movement as opposed to obviously just lateral. HUGE difference.

3rd base is about using your legs laterally as quick as possible, outfield you're likely tracking more backs in front and to the side of you, obviously you can't laterally move to Left-Center field so it now becomes a completely different running motion.

Chilli Palmer
01-26-2008, 10:35 PM

GMAB. Fields should never have been in LF at all last year, it was an experiment it failed end of the story. Someone brought up a comparison to David Wright, i can see it both are similar in stature and hitting styles, I believe Josh will become a very very good 3B in a few short years.

fozzy
01-27-2008, 03:26 AM
i think josh getting worn had nothing to do with his conditioning. as been pointed out playing 3rd and left field work two different types of muscles and you do need to train them different.

what nobody has mentioned is josh had to try to learn how to play left field in the majors. it's not like the sox just put him out there and said let's see how he does. when they tried him in left i assume he had to put in the extra time to learn the position. instead of just showing up before the game taking some grounders and some bp which he did when he played 3rd... he had to get there and spend at least an hour or two each day learning things like how to set yourself up on a flyball to make a throw home, where to position yourself in the outfield based on the count what pitch is being thrown and who's at bat, what angle to take on a fly ball, how to deal with a ball off the wall and a hundred other things. all this seems simple but josh does not have alot of baseball experience and none of it in the outfield. i don't know if this happened but when the sox decided to try him in left i assume and hope he spent the extra time each day with the coaches or other outfielders to see if it would work.

all this extra time put in would wear him out. people seem to think it's just him playing 3rd vs. him playing lf and it's not. when he was playing 3rd he could focus just on his hitting and improving his defense. in left he had to put much more time and effort before the game just to learn the position. during the game he had to think about what he'd learned instead of trusting your instincts which is a big differences. that will lead to you getting worn out. i have never heard of his work ethic questioned there's no reason to start now.

JB98
01-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Josh was playing with a bad hammy last year. That can happen to any player, regardless of work ethic.

I've never heard or read Josh's work habits called into question before. This thread is just silly, IMO.