PDA

View Full Version : Sun Times: Jenks and Cabrera extensions could be in the works

Foulke You
01-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Amidst the SoxFest hoopla, I caught this small article in the Sun Times that KW has begun preliminary discussions on locking up Bobby long term and he wants to talk contract extension with Orlando Cabrera by Spring Training.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/760484,CST-SPT-soxnt26.article

Foulke You
01-26-2008, 11:21 AM
doh! I made a spelling error on Cabrera's name in the thread title. Is that something I can edit or does a mod need to fix that for me? :redface:

EDIT: Thanks to whoever fixed the thread title!

Sockinchisox
01-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Wts?

aryzner
01-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Cool stuff. I'd love to see Bobby locked up for quite some time. Not only do the fans love him but he's excellent as well. :D:

soxinem1
01-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Wts?

:?:

The thread is about current Sox players, right?

Frater Perdurabo
01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
This is good news. Truly great closers are rare. Locking up Jenks to a fair, long-term deal makes good business sense and good baseball sense.

fquaye149
01-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Extending Cabrera is what Kenny needs to do to cement the Garland trade as a smart move

Frater Perdurabo
01-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Extending Cabrera is what Kenny needs to do to cement the Garland trade as a smart move

Yes. It also would be great to have Cabrera for a few years to mentor Alexi Ramirez. It would be even better if KW turned out to be right about Floyd.

batmanZoSo
01-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Using Cabrera's type A compensation pick to draft a solid contributor would also make it a smart move.

fquaye149
01-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Using Cabrera's type A compensation pick to draft a solid contributor would also make it a smart move.

To a lesser extent.

Kenny's lack of priority to scouting and development means that a type A comp pick could very easily be wasted in a way having Cabrera around for 2 or 3 years wouldn't

munchman33
01-26-2008, 02:36 PM
To a lesser extent.

Kenny's lack of priority to scouting and development means that a type A comp pick could very easily be wasted in a way having Cabrera around for 2 or 3 years wouldn't

I'd wait to see what we had in Ramirez. If it looks by midseason he'll ready to start in 2009, the best decision is to simply offer Cabrera arbitration.

pierzynski07
01-26-2008, 02:55 PM
So considering current market conditions, plus the fact that Jenks still only has 2.5 years experience, what would be a fair long term offer.

WhiteSox5187
01-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Signing up Bobby is a damn good idea, and getting Cabrera locked up makes the Garland trade look a whole lot better.

voodoochile
01-26-2008, 03:00 PM
So considering current market conditions, plus the fact that Jenks still only has 2.5 years experience, what would be a fair long term offer.

Offer him around 3 years $15M to cover his arbitration years and maybe kick in a decent signing bonus to give him some spending cash for the coming season.

fquaye149
01-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I'd wait to see what we had in Ramirez. If it looks by midseason he'll ready to start in 2009, the best decision is to simply offer Cabrera arbitration.

I haven't heard many scouting reports say he's ready to be a Cabrera caliber player in 2009.

But then again, I've only seen a handful of scouting reports on Ramirez

pierzynski07
01-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Offer him around 3 years $15M to cover his arbitration years and maybe kick in a decent signing bonus to give him some spending cash for the coming season.
KW just issued a larger contract for a setup guy.

voodoochile
01-26-2008, 03:12 PM
KW just issued a larger contract for a setup guy.

Who was an UFA. Jenks isn't and if he has an off season, he'd be risking a lot of money. Look at the contract Buehrle signed to cover his last few years of arbitration and his first as a UFA. It was below market value for a pitcher who was a UFA with Buehrle's stats, but because Buehrle wasn't a UFA, it was solid money.

voodoochile
01-26-2008, 03:13 PM
I haven't heard many scouting reports say he's ready to be a Cabrera caliber player in 2009.

But then again, I've only seen a handful of scouting reports on Ramirez

If he's ready next year, he can play CF with Quentin moving to RF and Dye becoming the full time DH (assuming Thome is gone).

I would love to see Cabrera get a long term commitment from the Sox.

pierzynski07
01-26-2008, 03:39 PM
He's not going to give up ALL of the arbitration years for 5 million a year, espeically when KRod has earned a minimum of $10 million in his final year.

turners56
01-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Keep Cabrera until 2010, we need Bobby for life xD.

batmanZoSo
01-26-2008, 04:41 PM
To a lesser extent.

Yeah, but that also addresses the biggest problem with this org, which is start making good draft picks.

Still, right now I'd put my money on just extending Cabrera. Injury free, he should be good until 36.

soxfanreggie
01-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Would like to see Bobby locked up for the next 3 or 4 years. If Cabrera performs well this next season, wouldn't mind seeing him get a 2 year deal.

Corlose 15
01-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Kenny responded to this in his interview with Rongey today saying that he had expressed interest in an extension to Cabrera's camp and they had returned it.

On the matter of Bobby however he said he felt it was a bit early to start talking extension with him because they have him under control for so much longer.

Lip Man 1
01-26-2008, 07:46 PM
He echoed that part about Jenks to Chuck Garfine of Comcast Sports Chicago this afternoon.

He said eventually they'd certainly get with Jenks' agent on a long term extension but he said, and this was interesting, that there were other things that needed to be done first.

Hmmm.....

Lip

joepoe
01-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Jenks is years away from FA. No way they do anything right now. This is newspaper puffery.

Amidst the SoxFest hoopla, I caught this small article in the Sun Times that KW has begun preliminary discussions on locking up Bobby long term and he wants to talk contract extension with Orlando Cabrera by Spring Training.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/760484,CST-SPT-soxnt26.article

nccwsfan
01-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Jenks is years away from FA. No way they do anything right now. This is newspaper puffery.

They could give him a 4 year deal. By doing that it would eliminate the opportunity for arbitration and give the CWS an extra year of his services before he becomes an unrestricted free agent (that's what the Rockies are doing with Troy Tulowitski). If they can make it happen fantastic- lock him up for as long as you can.

Signing Cabrera to an extension would be nice, provided that it's along the lines of 2 years with a team option in 2011. Hard to predict the future but diminishing skills should be setting in by then.

voodoochile
01-26-2008, 11:00 PM
They could give him a 4 year deal. By doing that it would eliminate the opportunity for arbitration and give the CWS an extra year of his services before he becomes an unrestricted free agent (that's what the Rockies are doing with Troy Tulowitski). If they can make it happen fantastic- lock him up for as long as you can.

Signing Cabrera to an extension would be nice, provided that it's along the lines of 2 years with a team option in 2011. Hard to predict the future but diminishing skills should be setting in by then.

At 33? :rolleyes:

nccwsfan
01-27-2008, 12:24 AM
At 33? :rolleyes:

I was referring to 2011, when he'll be 36 on Opening Day. No reason to think for the next two years he couldn't put up 07' type numbers, but it's not unreasonable to envision his offensive numbers on the downswing at age 35+.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-27-2008, 03:08 AM
Jenks - 3 years, $16.5 mill
Cabrera - 4 years, $36 mill

About Jenks, some of you are overlooking his numbers the last few years. If he goes to salary aribitration he can easily ask for $8-$10 mill per and not be laughed at. Look at what K-Rod just asked for, $12 mill. The Angels offered him $10 mill. Comparing the two recently...

2007 -
K-Rod: 40 saves, 2.81 era, 90 k, 67.1 ip
Jenks: 40 saves, 2.77 era, 56 k, 65.0 ip

2006 -
K-Rod: 47 saves, 1.73 era, 98 k, 73.0 ip
Jenks: 41 saves, 4.01 era, 80 k, 69.2 ip

...I'm no arbitrator by any means but the bottomline in comparing closers has to then be saves. If Jenks' (81) total over the last 2 years is compared to Rodriguez's (87), then you compare their salaries (Jenks $450k in 2007, K-Rod $7mill), the Sox will have a serious issue trying to convince me that he's not worth $6mill+++ a year.

fozzy
01-27-2008, 04:12 AM
the difference is k-rod is in his last year salary arbitration he can ask for that type of money. jenks was a mid-year call in 2005 he is 2 years away from arbitration. so for better or worse he's at the sox mercy on what they want to do with his contract. they can have him on the cheap for two years then deal with arbitration or work out a 4 year deal to buy out his last two years. under the concept of future worth of a dollar it is very beneficial to both parties to work out a 4 year deal. the sox don't have to worry about arbitration and can forcast their payroll and for bobby the difference between making lets say $500,000 and 5 million this year plus all the interest and profits over the next 4 years associated with the additional money is much greater then anything he'd make in arbitration. its a concept that the indians have worked perfectly over the years.

sorry if i rambled i'm drunk if you want i'll explain it tomorrow

mcp5185
01-27-2008, 06:04 AM
the difference is k-rod is in his last year salary arbitration he can ask for that type of money. jenks was a mid-year call in 2005 he is 2 years away from arbitration. so for better or worse he's at the sox mercy on what they want to do with his contract. they can have him on the cheap for two years then deal with arbitration or work out a 4 year deal to buy out his last two years. under the concept of future worth of a dollar it is very beneficial to both parties to work out a 4 year deal. the sox don't have to worry about arbitration and can forcast their payroll and for bobby the difference between making lets say $500,000 and 5 million this year plus all the interest and profits over the next 4 years associated with the additional money is much greater then anything he'd make in arbitration. its a concept that the indians have worked perfectly over the years.

sorry if i rambled i'm drunk if you want i'll explain it tomorrow

I believe players go to arbitration after three full seasons, which would make him one year away from arbitration.

voodoochile
01-27-2008, 08:34 AM
I was referring to 2011, when he'll be 36 on Opening Day. No reason to think for the next two years he couldn't put up 07' type numbers, but it's not unreasonable to envision his offensive numbers on the downswing at age 35+.

Whoops, my bad, I thought he was 31...:redface: