PDA

View Full Version : Twins Lock Up Morneau and Cuddyer

ma-gaga
01-25-2008, 03:10 PM
I dunno if this is a big deal or not. Twin Cities Sportsblab radio announcing:

5 years - $80mm for Morneau
3 years - $23mm for Cuddyer with a team option for a 4th year.

:cool: Link HERE. (http://www2.kfan.com/content/twins/story.aspx?content_id=47407dde-0b5d-4dff-8532-9596d0521cc6)

PKalltheway
01-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Of course it is a big deal. It involves two major players getting locked up to multi-year deals.

Now I guess this means five more years of Morneau eating us alive.:angry:

spiffie
01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Well, if there was any question of Santana leaving MN that pretty much ended with that signing.

Still, great move for the Twins though. Keeps their offensive core (Morneau, Cuddyer, Mauer) locked up for the next few years.

Do they try to sign Nathan long-term, or let him go and assume they can churn out yet another closer?

Foulke You
01-25-2008, 04:04 PM
I had a feeling they were going to lock up Morneau which is why they let Torii Hunter leave via free agency. They couldn't afford to keep both and they made the right decision. Morneau is younger and should be a perennial MVP candidate if he stays healthy.

doublem23
01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Bye bye, Johan.

:bandance:

Optipessimism
01-25-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't know why Sox fans are so excited to see Santana get traded. I hope he doesn't and the Twins keep him, although that's wishful thinking.

He only has one year left on his deal and is going to hit FA. There is NO WAY the Twins are going to be able to sign him in FA. I'd rather see Johan stick around in Minny for '08 and then leave them with a couple draft picks. If he's traded, the Twins are just going to get a pack of players that will hurt the Sox for the next 5+ years.

SoxSpeed22
01-25-2008, 04:55 PM
The sooner Santana goes, the better. It's almost money in the bank to lose against him and the prospects they get are the same crapshoot with any other prospects. Delmon Young could bomb for them.

oeo
01-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't know why Sox fans are so excited to see Santana get traded. I hope he doesn't and the Twins keep him, although that's wishful thinking.

He only has one year left on his deal and is going to hit FA. There is NO WAY the Twins are going to be able to sign him in FA. I'd rather see Johan stick around in Minny for '08 and then leave them with a couple draft picks. If he's traded, the Twins are just going to get a pack of players that will hurt the Sox for the next 5+ years.

Of course we all hope he doesn't get traded, but he is going to be traded. The Twins are not dumb enough to watch him walk (I don't think any team is).

Lip Man 1
01-25-2008, 05:09 PM
The talk is Nathan is out the door.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
01-25-2008, 05:27 PM
The talk is Nathan is out the door.

LipIf they think Neshek can do the job, they can get a lot for Nathan in July, unfortunately.

HomeFish
01-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I was going to make an extraneous comment about both of them being Sox-killers, but, really, everyone who has ever put on a Twins jersey is really good against us, or at least better against us than against other teams.

Only exception to that is Carlos Silva. He was the exact opposite: he'd put up ridiculously good stats against the rest of the league, but we would always kill him.

thedudeabides
01-25-2008, 06:51 PM
If they think Neshek can do the job, they can get a lot for Nathan in July, unfortunately.

I'm surprised Nathan is still there. Although your right, closers still have a lot of value at the trade deadline. It's interesting that there hasn't been much talk about him being moved.

sircaffey1
01-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I dunno if this is a big deal or not. Twin Cities Sportsblab radio announcing:

5 years - $80mm for Morneau
3 years - $23mm for Cuddyer with a team option for a 4th year.

:cool: Link HERE. (http://www2.kfan.com/content/twins/story.aspx?content_id=47407dde-0b5d-4dff-8532-9596d0521cc6)

6 years for Morneau.

santo=dorf
01-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Personally I think Morneau is Overrated. In 2006 he wasn't even the best player on his team. Secondly, after teeing off on Gavin Floyd in his Sox Debut last July, Morneau hit 8 home runs the rest of the season. Hell, after July 23rd he hit THREE home runs the rest of the season. People think we should dump Konerko and his $12 million a year salary because his OPS was down to .841, yet Morneau's was .834 with a less than respectable .343 OBP. :whatever:

ma-gaga
01-25-2008, 08:36 PM
6 years for Morneau.

Sweet. I thought it was an "ok" deal when it was a five year deal. If it's a six year deal, the Twins did good.

:gulp:

Patrick134
01-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Personally I think Morneau is Overrated. In 2006 he wasn't even the best player on his team. Secondly, after teeing off on Gavin Floyd in his Sox Debut last July, Morneau hit 8 home runs the rest of the season. Hell, after July 23rd he hit THREE home runs the rest of the season. People think we should dump Konerko and his $12 million a year salary because his OPS was down to .841, yet Morneau's was .834 with a less than respectable .343 OBP. :whatever:
My guess is Morneau gets overrated around here because he usually hits like Babe Ruth against the Sox. A solid player to be sure, but not a superstar in the upper echelon...yet.

DumpJerry
01-26-2008, 01:47 AM
When I saw the thread title, I thought they had stolen something from the Twins.:tongue:

nccwsfan
01-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Of course we all hope he doesn't get traded, but he is going to be traded. The Twins are not dumb enough to watch him walk (I don't think any team is).

The Nationals let Soriano walk after 06' instead of getting anything in return for him. Soriano & Santana=apples & oranges, but I'm still amazed that the Nats' couldn't find any reason to unload him with the year he had.

Maybe the Twins believe what they'll get back in draft compensation for letting Santana walk will be greater than what they get in a trade :dunno:?