PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie on Waddle and Silvy

kaufsox
01-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Ozzie was on Waddle and Silvy this morning around 11:30 and it was a pretty interesting interview. My guess is that it will be the podcast for today which you can find on espnradio1000.com. A couple of interesting things Ozzie divulged, discussed:
1) Oz is a big fan of bullfighting; don't know why I find that interesting, I just do.

2) He has more concern over Contreras than Floyd or Danks. He feels this was because he feels the improved bullpen (he estimated the 2007 pen lost 30 games:o:) will help the youngsters.

3) I also liked that he said that he didn't think KW was done, but that he has put together a pretty good team and now (well, not right now) it was up to him and the players.

4) I also like how he closed the interview by saying, "I may be a terrible manager, but I'm a great press guy!"

Hopefully if you didn't hear this live, it will be on the website soon.

Hitmen77
01-25-2008, 02:31 PM
2) He has more concern over Contreras than Floyd or Danks. He feels this was because he feels the improved bullpen (he estimated the 2007 pen lost 30 games:o:) will help the youngsters.

So, Ozzie thinks we would have won 102 games with a good pen?

Thanks for the update, I'll look for the interview on their website later today.

soxfan21
01-25-2008, 02:31 PM
#'s 1 and 4 are kinda odd, but I really agree with him on 2 and 3. I think we should be more worried about Contreras than Danks and Floyd because of his age. I know that last season he had a lot of family problems and what not but no one really knows how old this guy is. Hopefully he will be back to his '05 form, but only time can tell.
As for #3, I do not think that this roster will be completely finalized until opening day. The Crede/Fields situation will be addressed by then, and hopefully we will find a use for Uribe and possibly add another starting pitcher to the team.

CHISOXFAN13
01-25-2008, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the update, I'll look for the interview on their website later today.

Every pen blows games. Not many blow as many as the Sox did last year.

sullythered
01-25-2008, 02:43 PM

No. He thinks we would have won 102 games if we had a perfect pen that didn't lose any games.

I don't think he's far off. Let's not forget how insanely terrible the pen was last year.

eriqjaffe
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
he estimated the 2007 pen lost 30 gamesThe combined record for the relievers last year was 19-25, so he wasn't really that far off.

Hitmen77
01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Every pen blows games. Not many blow as many as the Sox did last year.

That was my point. Having a bad pen didn't lose us "30 games" because even a decent pen loses some games.

Oh well, I know it's just a matter of semantics - I get the point Ozzie's making. I can very easily imagine that even a subpar, but passable pen that wasn't in total meltdown mode during part of the season could have pulled us up to .500 even with all the other struggles (worst hitting in league) we went through.

WhiteSox5187
01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
We had eighteen leads last year which the bullpen lost...and there were probably a couple of tied games that were winnable if not for the bullpen. Thirty is a bit much, but I don't think that twenty is unreasonable.

Corlose 15
01-25-2008, 03:16 PM
The Sox have really targeted their two biggest problems last year this offseason in the bullpen and the lineup.

Not only did the bullpen blow a lot of leads last year but there were also a lot of games that they didn't keep close and allow the offense to win. Dotel and Linebrink will help with both accounts.

There were also a lot of games where the Sox got good starting pitching but the offense gave no support. Especially for Danks at the beginning of the year. With Swisher, Quentin, and Cabrera added to the lineup that takes some pressure off of Dye, Konerko, AJ, and Thome.

I'm interested to see how this year plays out. If Floyd and Danks step up they'll be tough to deal with.

rdivaldi
01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
The combined record for the relievers last year was 19-25, so he wasn't really that far off.

Actually that doesn't tell the whole story. If a starter is up 2- 1, walks two guys, is pulled, then the reliever gives up a two run double, the starter gets the loss.

I think the bullpen lost us about 50 games last year, or at least that's how it felt. Look at these numbers, they make me sick to my stomach:

Aardsma: 32.1 IP - 6.40 ERA
MacDougal: 42.1 IP - 6.80 ERA
Haeger: 11.1 IP - 7.15 ERA
Massett: 33.2 IP - 7.75 ERA
Prinz: 3.1 IP - 8.10 ERA
Sisco: 14.0 IP - 8.36 ERA
Day: 12.0 IP - 11.25 ERA

kaufsox
01-25-2008, 03:20 PM
The combined record for the relievers last year was 19-25, so he wasn't really that far off.

yikes! that's a horrible record. It reminds me of something Boers or Bernstein said (I can't tell them apart) it seemed like every Sox game was the same last year. I'd go to the kitchen with the score 3-3, come back and it was 8-3. I hope KW's approach to the pen works out better this year.

ksimpson14
01-25-2008, 03:33 PM
See, I have the different logic, that the SP was bad, making the bullpen be/look even worse

They also interviewed Swisher yesterday, can find that in the podcasts too

LITTLE NELL
01-25-2008, 03:54 PM
He forgot to mention the horrible 1st half our hitters had.

Lorenzo Barcelo
Actually that doesn't tell the whole story. If a starter is up 2- 1, walks two guys, is pulled, then the reliever gives up a two run double, the starter gets the loss.

I think the bullpen lost us about 50 games last year, or at least that's how it felt. Look at these numbers, they make me sick to my stomach:

No love for Bukvich I see.

oeo
I don't think he's far off. Let's not forget how insanely terrible the pen was last year.

Me neither. There was a stretch there from about the Cubs Wrigley series through July that it seemed they were blowing every game. The Sox should have swept that series at Wrigley, but the bullpen blew it and that's when everything started blowing up.

See, I have the different logic, that the SP was bad, making the bullpen be/look even worse

The starting pitching was actually pitching well. The Sox had the best rotation in the Central for a time last year. How else were they close in a lot of those games, getting no run support?

Jaffar
01-25-2008, 03:56 PM
According to the Mac/Jurko/Harry Sox vs. Cubs bets last year they have the Sox bullpen with 23 Blown saves and a 5.47 ERA, the Cubs for reference were 14/3.76.

Lip Man 1
01-25-2008, 05:06 PM
The 2007 White Sox bullpen 'blew' and lost 18 games where they had the ball in their hands and the lead in the 7th inning or later.

That figure doesn't even include the handfull of games the bullpen blew, losing the lead late only to have the Sox come back to win it.

Lip

eriqjaffe
01-25-2008, 05:28 PM
According to the Mac/Jurko/Harry Sox vs. Cubs bets last year they have the Sox bullpen with 23 Blown saves and a 5.47 ERATake Jenks & Wasserman out of the equation, and the bullpen ERA balloons to a mind-boggling 6.20.

Foulke You
01-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Good God is that mind boggling bad. Just look at those E.R.A.s...it is incredible we even won 72 games with that bullpen last year.

Frontman
01-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Good God is that mind boggling bad. Just look at those E.R.A.s...it is incredible we even won 72 games with that bullpen last year.

You know, during last season I joked that the Sox when at home should of closed the Fundamentals deck and then use the Tee up there whenever they needed to go to the bullpen; as they would of had a better record.

Seeing the numbers? I still stand by that.

Good GOD did that suck!

Thankfully, KW has worked on improving the 'pen; he's made some moves for position and outfield players. Maybe he still has one or more tricks to try.

But in the end, I am SO set for this season to begin.

And yes, Ozzie is great PR material. Love him, hate him; but you'll always listen to hear what he has to say.

rdivaldi
01-25-2008, 07:53 PM
No love for Bukvich I see.

He had an ERA of what? 5? That qualifies as awful, not G-d awful...