PDA

View Full Version : Pitcher stats pre/post Tommy John surgery

Whitesox029
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know where I can find some statistics from pitchers before and after their Tommy John surgeries? I'm almost positive that the surgery is never really the cause of a drop in stats, and I'm going to send a gentle letter to the author of this (http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/storage/paper736/news/2008/01/24/Columns/Dotels.Elbow.Will.Trouble.White.Sox-3165777.shtml) article about it. It's only a college newspaper, so I've come to expect uninformed stuff like this...unless I'm the one who's wrong.

CashMan
01-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Does anyone know where I can find some statistics from pitchers before and after their Tommy John surgeries? I'm almost positive that the surgery is never really the cause of a drop in stats, and I'm going to send a gentle letter to the author of this (http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/storage/paper736/news/2008/01/24/Columns/Dotels.Elbow.Will.Trouble.White.Sox-3165777.shtml) article about it. It's only a college newspaper, so I've come to expect uninformed stuff like this...unless I'm the one who's wrong.

Didn't Mike Hampton have it? I don't think he has pitched since.

oeo
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM

It would be one thing if he had this reconstructive elbow surgery and then felt fine, pitched well and never had trouble since. I mean, after three years, you would expect that he would be fully rehabilitated. People have successfully recovered from Tommy John surgery before - namely ... Tommy John - but Dotel has been plagued with injuries since then, too!He doesn't know what he's talking about. Dotel had an oblique and shoulder strain last year...it had nothing to do with his elbow.

While the recovery was supposed to only take 10 months, it ended up taking close to 15 months. When he finally returned in August, he didn't even pitch well. He gave up 12 runs and 11 walks in just 10 innings.Actually, as Kenny Williams said the other day, it takes close to 18 months to where you can make an impact, and 24 before it's completely healed.

I'm not worried about his elbow. I'm worried about his age and the other injuries that were popping up last year.

CashMan
01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
He doesn't know what he's talking about. Dotel had an oblique and shoulder strain last year...it had nothing to do with his elbow.

Actually, as Kenny Williams said the other day, it takes close to 18 months to where you can make an impact, and 24 before it's completely healed.

I'm not worried about his elbow. I'm worried about his age and the other injuries that were popping up last year.

I think if you are counting on him to be the #1 setup man, I would be worried, but I do agree with you about his age.

oeo
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I think if you are counting on him to be the #1 setup man, I would be worried, but I do agree with you about his age.

Kenny said his elbow is completely fine; I believe that. They wouldn't have given him that much money if they thought the elbow would be a concern.

CashMan
01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Wasn't he lights out a few years a go, setting up Lidge?

pierzynski07
01-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Wasn't he lights out a few years a go, setting up Lidge?
It was the other way around. But the emergence of Lidge led to them trading him for Carlos Beltran.

fusillirob1983
01-24-2008, 07:16 PM
From experience of reading the DI over the course of 5 baseball seasons, I'm well aware that they've had several sports writers who have become well prepared for careers at reputable newspapers such as the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times.

Huisj
01-24-2008, 10:07 PM
It was the other way around. But the emergence of Lidge led to them trading him for Carlos Beltran.

The years he was really lights out were the years he was setting up for Billy Wagner. In '02 and '03, he put up ERAs of 1.85 and 2.48, but only had 10 saves total. Then he became a close in '04, and was good (but not as good), and he got traded to Oakland midway through the season, and Lidge took over.

Whitesox029
01-27-2008, 02:15 AM
From experience of reading the DI over the course of 5 baseball seasons, I'm well aware that they've had several sports writers who have become well prepared for careers at reputable newspapers such as the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times.
Yeah, I wasn't here until August '06, but I heard they printed some pretty bitter stuff when we won in '05. I'm the current WSN treasurer, by the way. Interest is down; we need a good '08 from our Sox to get people into it again. I might end up president next year since I think I'm the only one obsessed enough with the Sox to want to take it over, and I think the current guy is graduating. We're still the only baseball fan base with an RSO, though :wink:.