PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Offseason Review:Sox Winners

thedudeabides
01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Bob Nightengale, who I think is one of the best baseball writers out there, picks this offseasons winners and losers.

He says the Sox are winners and may be this seasons surprise team.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-01-24-offseason-winners-losers_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Never hurts to read good things about your team.

What does he know, however....when the Trib tells me my team sucks or is good, that's when I believe it.

fed ex 4 pasqua
01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
"If Gavin Floyd (http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=3836) and John Danks (http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=1323) prove to be full-time starters, they could be this year's surprise team."
That's a BIG if.

oeo
01-24-2008, 12:42 PM

As he says, if Danks and Floyd are worth anything this year. He still needs to keep his mouth shut, we're supposed to go under the radar. :wink: ESPN says we're a lock for fourth place.

kittle42
01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
As he says, if Danks and Floyd are worth anything this year. He still needs to keep his mouth shut, we're supposed to go under the radar. :wink: ESPN says we're a lock for fourth place.

So do I, but I am a pessimist.

rdivaldi
01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
So do I, but I am a pessimist.

I've been up and down this offseason, but I do think that we're at least in the hunt for the division whereas about a month ago I was thinking we'd be lucky to finish in 3rd. It will all come down to our 4th and 5th starters in 2008...

spawn
01-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Bob Nightengale, who I think is one of the best baseball writers out there, picks this offseasons winners and losers.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-01-24-offseason-winners-losers_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip
Well, this sucks. I want teams underestimating us. No worries...they still will. I gurantee sports pundits across the nation probably think this guy is nuttier than a fruitcake.

goon
01-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Nick Swisher
Orlando Cabrera
Scott Linebrink
Carlos Quentin
Octavio Dotel
Alexei Ramirez

That's a pretty impressive off-season, considering the only impact player the Sox lost is Garland. It's not like the Sox are done acquiring players either, there could be a few more additions.

If only we got Miguel Cabrera!

doublem23
01-24-2008, 01:11 PM

Let's not go there again! :cool:

If KW can land 1 more starter, I think we're right in the thick of the hunt.

johnr1note
01-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Nick Swisher
Orlando Cabrera
Scott Linebrink
Carlos Quentin
Octavio Dotel
Alexei Ramirez

That's a pretty impressive off-season, considering the only impact player the Sox lost is Garland. It's not like the Sox are done acquiring players either, there could be a few more additions.

There are several pieces that are yet to fall into place. One of them is the question of Joe Crede's health, and who will play third base. Most have predicted that if Joe is healthy in Spring Training, he will be dealt. What would a potentially healthy Joe Crede bring in return? Or a package of players that included Crede?

I expected us to pick up another starting pitcher -- besides concern about Danks and Floyd, the issue of Contreras coming back is also a question mark.

AND there is the issue of who will leadoff, and who is actually going to be the centerfielder. Jerry Owens is the quintessential utility outfielder. If he's our opening day leadoff man and center fielder, I think we're in trouble.

But I am not down on this team. I see a bright future and an exciting 2008 season. There's a lot more that can happen before opening day.

soxfan21
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Let's not go there again! :cool:

If KW can land 1 more starter, I think we're right in the thick of the hunt.
I agree, I think that if we get one more starter we should be in the thick of things. Just let Gavin and Danks battle it out for the #5 spot.

skottyj242
01-24-2008, 01:22 PM
We're all winners.

skottyj242
01-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, this sucks. I want teams underestimating us. No worries...they still will. I gurantee sports pundits across the nation probably think this guy is nuttier than a fruitcake.

So teams are going to take us seriously now that USA Today said we're winners?

spawn
01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
So teams are going to take us seriously now that USA Today said we're winners?
No...that's why I said they will still underestimate us.

ZombieRob
01-24-2008, 01:27 PM
I think the Sox have one of the best "pens" in the league right now.The only concern i have is with Linebrinks slow rise in the e.r.a area.Hopefully it is more mental problem then a physical one.I'm a huge fan of Swisher and what he brings to the clubhouse and the field and will be a fan favorite in no time.

skottyj242
01-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Sorry, I misread your post. :redface:

goon
01-24-2008, 02:06 PM
There are several pieces that are yet to fall into place. One of them is the question of Joe Crede's health, and who will play third base. Most have predicted that if Joe is healthy in Spring Training, he will be dealt. What would a potentially healthy Joe Crede bring in return? Or a package of players that included Crede?

AND there is the issue of who will leadoff, and who is actually going to be the centerfielder. Jerry Owens is the quintessential utility outfielder. If he's our opening day leadoff man and center fielder, I think we're in trouble.

The third base "predicament" isn't really an issue. Having too many players at a position is hardly a problem, somebody will be dealt or someone will be on the bench or Fields goes down to AAA. The question about who is going to lead-off is a legitimate concern, though. I have a feeling it's going to be Cabrera, I'm not sure Williams wants to pick up yet another OF, maybe if he can get Brian Roberts or Chone Figgins, but who knows.

Seriously, who the hell knows what Williams is going to do, he's the definition of unpredictable.

CashMan
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM

I expected us to pick up another starting pitcher -- besides concern about Danks and Floyd, the issue of Contreras coming back is also a question mark.

But I am not down on this team. I see a bright future and an exciting 2008 season. There's a lot more that can happen before opening day.

Joe Crede is going to bring back Cain from the Giants. If he can prove he is healthy.

goon
01-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Joe Crede is going to bring back Cain from the Giants. If he can prove he is healthy.

Hmm... Why the would the Giants trade Cain? I have a feeling it would take more than just Crede to get Cain.

Edit: I just saw the craziness going on in the Crede/Lowry thread in WTS. Nevermind.

twsoxfan5
01-24-2008, 02:45 PM
This team is much improved from last year's squad IMO. If all goes well I think this team can compete. And if all does not go well I still think we will be better than last year. Knock on wood.

WhiteSox5187
01-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Well, I certainly hope he's right. And I think that like he said IF Danks and Floyd come out and are respectable at the least, we will be a team to reckon with...right now, I'm not expecting to win the divison, but I am expecting exciting baseball back on the southside.

rdivaldi
01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm a huge fan of Swisher and what he brings to the clubhouse and the field and will be a fan favorite in no time.

Swisher was on the Score this morning and I swear until I heard who it was I thought it was Steve McMichael talking. He's gonna be a fan favorite big time.

kittle42
01-24-2008, 03:23 PM

To channel Michael Scott, "Yeah, well maybe from now on, you will estimate me."

soxinem1
01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
I've been up and down this offseason, but I do think that we're at least in the hunt for the division whereas about a month ago I was thinking we'd be lucky to finish in 3rd. It will all come down to our 4th and 5th starters in 2008...

That has been a big part of the Sox 'what if' scenario since, oh, 1995 or so.

asindc
01-24-2008, 04:21 PM

And most other teams (save Yanks and Braves, maybe Boston) since then as well. As a former member of my fantasy league famously quoted, "Pitching sucks."

rdivaldi
01-24-2008, 04:27 PM

I went into 2003, 2005 and 2006 without that worry...

chisox77
01-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I realize that there are games to be played, but ironically, this may prove to be one of the most dynamic offseasons the White Sox have had.

True, they did not get their preferred "target players" (Hunter, Fukedome, while the MCabrera deal came and went rather quickly). I never considered Rowand a serious target for the Sox to get, since they never seemed aggressive to sign him at his price.

However, KW came up with some creative methods to address needs to get a pretty good shortstop (OCabrera), a pretty good outfielder who is starting to peak (Swisher), an undervalued yet talented LF (Quentin), a possible gem who could be a surprise (Ramirez), and two signings to shore up the bullpen (Linebrink and Dotel). And there will probably be another deal or two since the Sox have some chips left.

As of now, the everyday lineup is well balanced. There may be another pitcher on the way . . . and that's the key to ultimate success, but my feeling is that a few baseball people feel, deep down (including Tigers manager Jim Leyland) that the White Sox will contend very seriously. So the USA Today article is no surprise to me.

:cool:

rowand33
01-24-2008, 11:13 PM
that made me happy.

soxinem1
01-26-2008, 08:12 AM
I went into 2003, 2005 and 2006 without that worry...

Sorry that two of the three worry-free seasons had to disappoint you.:smile:

santo=dorf
01-26-2008, 08:45 AM
:bong:

It was a rotoworld or reporter typo.

FarWestChicago
01-26-2008, 09:36 AM
So do I, but I am a pessimist.I've always thought of you as more Sturm and Drang than a conventional pessimist. :smile:

rdivaldi
01-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry that two of the three worry-free seasons had to disappoint you.:smile:

I was really low after the 2003 season, disappointment doesn't nearly describe how I felt. 2006 was a much easier bitter pill to swallow...

rowand33
01-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I was really low after the 2003 season, disappointment doesn't nearly describe how I felt. 2006 was a much easier bitter pill to swallow...

when we traded for crazy carl and alomar in 2003, I thought that we were going all the way. We shored up CF and 2B, our two worst positions, and had a good staff.

Really sucked that we just pissed it all away.

soxinem1
01-26-2008, 12:20 PM
when we traded for crazy carl and alomar in 2003, I thought that we were going all the way. We shored up CF and 2B, our two worst positions, and had a good staff.

Really sucked that we just pissed it all away.

I thought that team could have beat anyone in the playoffs. They seemed like a totally different squad when facing contenders.