PDA

View Full Version : Old Harry & Jimmy videos from TV-44

kba
01-23-2008, 10:23 AM
New on YouTube:

Ed Farmer pitches mop-up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i447f9LsTtI) duty in 1979 against the Yankees - against Reggie Jackson, Graig Nettles, Roy White, and a svelte Lou Piniella.

Fans storm the field (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtHH7WDsdzU) on Disco Demolition night. Jimmy Piersall is in the booth with columnist Bill Gleason, as his TV-44 crew seems unable to decide whether or not they want to show the anarchy.

Harry and Jimmy the same night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmWCYTuPU8k) after order is restored.

(This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp2XShLMyYs) isn't Harry & Jimmy, but the same guy posted some video of channel 7's news coverage of Disco Demolition. I'm guessing whoever designed their "Riot at Sox Park" graphic wasn't much of a baseball fan ...)

TommyJohn
01-23-2008, 12:05 PM
New on YouTube:

Ed Farmer pitches mop-up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i447f9LsTtI) duty in 1979 against the Yankees - against Reggie Jackson, Graig Nettles, Roy White, and a svelte Lou Piniella.

Fans storm the field (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtHH7WDsdzU) on Disco Demolition night. Jimmy Piersall is in the booth with columnist Bill Gleason, as his TV-44 crew seems unable to decide whether or not they want to show the anarchy.

Harry and Jimmy the same night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmWCYTuPU8k) after order is restored.

(This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp2XShLMyYs) isn't Harry & Jimmy, but the same guy posted some video of channel 7's news coverage of Disco Demolition. I'm guessing whoever designed their "Riot at Sox Park" graphic wasn't much of a baseball fan ...)

Great stuff.

LITTLE NELL
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Disco Demolition night was one of the lowest points in White Sox history. I remember turning on the 1st game and could not understand why the ballpark was jammed to the rafters, ( avg crowd for weeknight game would have been about 15,000)well we all found out why a couple of hours later. A sad night on the south side .The good news was that those idiots were not White Sox fans, they were Steve Dahl fans who had too much to drink and smoke. I remember the Piersall-Gleason clip like it was yesterday.

Fenway
01-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I just sent the WLS clip to a woman who was a producer at Channel 7 in those days...

She replied..'Meh...they could have shown the Stadium or Soldier Field, they got baseball right.'

jackbrohamer
01-23-2008, 01:22 PM

Rare footage indeed: Ed Farmer wearing socks. And Reggie Jackson doing the 2 things he did best, striking out and being a crybaby.

white sox bill
01-23-2008, 01:30 PM
The audacity of those barbaric White Sox fans!

TommyJohn
01-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Disco Demolition night was one of the lowest points in White Sox history.

I remember the night as well. I was a kid, and my family watched the first
game on 44. I seem to remember Harry Caray saying that the fans were
running out on the field, but I could be wrong. I also remember the shots
of Bill Veeck with his head down and Sparky Anderson's animated talk with
the umpires, probably arguing that the game should be forfeited.

I was too young to appreciate what a truly low moment it was in baseball
and for the White Sox in particular. I'll never understand what motivates
some to get so weepy and nostalgic about it.

WhiteSox5187
01-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Sadly I don't think these videos will have a long life on YouTube, but it was a great find.

Fenway
01-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Sadly I don't think these videos will have a long life on YouTube, but it was a great find.

Which is why you can save them :smile: ( IF you use Firefox )

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

WhiteSox5187
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM
I THINK you can see my dad in that closing clip of Harry telling everyone the second game is canceled, I think he is the guy who comes up to Harry and tells him attendance figures were not available.

roylestillman
01-23-2008, 02:10 PM
To this day whenever there's high foul ball over the 1st base side, I still yell "open the door at McCuddy's"

LITTLE NELL
01-23-2008, 03:39 PM
The audacity of those barbaric White Sox fans!
Those were not White Sox fans.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Two fans who were in attendance that night who became "known" were Donn Pall and Michael Clarke Duncan.

Lip

TommyJohn
01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Two fans who were in attendance that night who became "known" were Donn Pall and Michael Clarke Duncan.

Lip
I think Richard Roeper also says he was there.

WhiteSox5187
01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I think Richard Roeper also says he was there.
He does...yea.

Great thing about those clips is you can hear Harry when he was still Harry, not just a cartoon version of himself that he became with the Cubs.

TomBradley72
01-23-2008, 05:47 PM

Lip

I was there.

But I'm not "known". :cool:

PaleHoser
01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I remember Reggie doing a print interview about how he'd pick up all the loose change the Sox fans would throw at him while he was playing right field at Comiskey Park.

Those were the days...

Brian26
01-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Rare footage indeed: Ed Farmer wearing socks. And Reggie Jackson doing the 2 things he did best, striking out and being a crybaby.

No kidding. Did Harry say the Yankees were winning 9-0? And Reggie was throwing a temper tantrum in the 9th about a strikeout? Show some class.

Brian26
01-23-2008, 08:45 PM

I like how Bill Gleason pulls this out of his ass: "At the moment, there are about 2800 people on the field."

Not 2500 or 3000, but 2800. :redneck

Brian26
01-23-2008, 08:52 PM

What was the "great programming on Channel 44" that Harry was trying to hype as they went off the air?

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2008, 09:48 PM
After Piniella grounds out to Ken Bell, notice that Nancy Faust played "Go U Northwestern." Why did she do that?

In the Disco Demolition clips, notice that Al Lerner and his ABC 7 cameraman were walking off the field as it was being stormed. He evidently got back to the studio at 190 North State Street in time for the 10:00 news which was about the time Game 2 was called.

kba
01-23-2008, 10:11 PM
What was the "great programming on Channel 44" that Harry was trying to hype as they went off the air?

Harry actually seemed kind of shaken up in that clip and unsure how to wrap up the telecast. Every other night of his career, he could recap the final totals, promo the post-game show, and say "So long everybody." This was one of the few times during his years with the Sox that he seemed at a loss for words.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Can you imagine what the media coverage would be like if Disco Demolition Night happened in this day and age?

chisox77
01-23-2008, 10:56 PM
This was one of the worst moments in White Sox history. But the organization was desperate to bring fans to the park. Sometimes, desperation works, but most of the time, it fails . . .

I remember those days well, whether it was mop up time against a really good team (on a consistent basis), or another promotion night to stir interest in the Sox. Those days are not to be looked upon with any hint of affection or nostalgia.

:cool:

russ99
01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry guys, I gotta weigh in on the then-14 year old Steve Dahl fan side of the argument.

Sure it was a bad day for the Sox and worse brought Bill Veeck's distinguished career as a promotions impresario to an end, but also a very interesting day for our age group and Steve's radio listeners.

It was the "really stupid gesture" 15-minutes of anti-establishment fame for our generation of blue-collar disenfranchised kids.

Unfortunately (probably fortunate for me) my Mom wouldn't let me go. I had a copy of "Fly Robin Fly" at ready to be added to the disco kiln.

Shows what happens when you get 50,000 kids and stoner teenagers (& older) together in one place without any supervision or real security. I do feel sorry for the real fans that went to that game and had to deal with us idiots and missed out on the 2nd game.

white sox bill
01-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Ah the stoner memories of Comiskey in the 70's. Tix were $2, beer was $1.50, if you forgot your roach clip, just make the request to anyone within earshot and you will have about 5 of them coming your way!:smile:The good 'ol days!

Lip Man 1
01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
If you haven't done so yet, read Mike Veeck's account of the evening in his interview with WSI:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2520

Lip

Fenway
01-24-2008, 02:24 PM

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/test-patterns/television/indianhead640x480.gif

Reminds me of Sean McDonough trying to sign off the Patriots Day 11 AM game which the Red Sox lost 18-0 by saying "Now it is time for some good programming as the Care Bears are next on TV38."

PaleHoseGeorge
01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
I like how Bill Gleason pulls this out of his ass: "At the moment, there are about 2800 people on the field."

Not 2500 or 3000, but 2800. :redneck

I was laughing about that one, too.

:smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Those were not White Sox fans.

William Ligue's uncles?

:gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-24-2008, 09:44 PM
This was one of the worst moments in White Sox history.

Actually I would say the 1979 SEASON was one of the worst moments in White Sox history. That team sucked... and the 1980 team was no better.

With all the hand-wringing in this thread over Disco Demolition, it seems forgotten attendance wise the Sox couldn't draw flies, Bill Veeck was broke and actively shopping the franchise to Denver, and virtually all of the damage done to Comiskey's playing surface was caused by the "World Series of Rock" concert series, and specifically several rain-filled dates when 10,000 or more "non-Sox fans" sitting in the outfield were the only ones paying any money to Veeck and keeping the franchise afloat.

How the Sox ever survived the 70's is beyond me, but it sure wasn't Disco Demolition that was causing the trouble.

TheOldRoman
01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Ah the stoner memories of Comiskey in the 70's. Tix were $2, beer was $1.50, if you forgot your roach clip, just make the request to anyone within earshot and you will have about 5 of them coming your way!:smile:The good 'ol days!
Yeah, sad I missed it.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

kba
01-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I remember the Piersall-Gleason clip like it was yesterday.

I do too, especially the surreal 30 seconds or so at the beginning after they came back from commercial, but before Piersall's mic was open. You could see things starting to break loose, but there was no sound - just a camera panning the field. I also remember TV-44 bailing out of live coverage after the Gleason interview and playing a couple hours of old baseball newsreels until order was restored. I can't remember if they came back in time to show Veeck on the P-A begging people to return to their seats, or if I just saw that on the news the next day.

Despite all of Veeck's accomplishments during his career, his last couple years with the Sox were marked by a string of embarrassments - Kessinger's mid-season resignation, Disco Demolition, his wife's public feud with Piersall, the rock concerts that destroyed the field, and - of course - a couple of terrible teams. The image of a defeated-looking Bill Veeck on Disco Demolition night has for me always symbolized those last painful years.

DickAllen72
01-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Harry & Jimmy ruled!

kba
01-24-2008, 11:42 PM

The reason this game tape is still around is that it was Thurman Munson's last game - August 1, 1979. He was killed in a plane crash the next day. WPIX in New York apparently didn't air the game that night, but somebody secured the White Sox tape from WSNS and broadcast it later in New York.

EDIT: Another historic note: It was also Don Kessinger's last game as Sox manager. With the team mired in a seven game losing streak, he resigned the next day and was replaced by Tony LaRussa.

Brian26
01-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Is there any footage of when the police cleared the field? I've seen bits and pieces of the CPD entering the field behind home plate in riot gear and walking in a straight line across the infield. I've read or heard that they completely cleared the field in five minutes. It would be neat to see that, but it sounds like Ch 44 had gone to clips at that point, so maybe the footage doesn't exist completely.

LITTLE NELL
01-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Actually I would say the 1979 SEASON was one of the worst moments in White Sox history. That team sucked... and the 1980 team was no better.

With all the hand-wringing in this thread over Disco Demolition, it seems forgotten attendance wise the Sox couldn't draw flies, Bill Veeck was broke and actively shopping the franchise to Denver, and virtually all of the damage done to Comiskey's playing surface was caused by the "World Series of Rock" concert series, and specifically several rain-filled dates when 10,000 or more "non-Sox fans" sitting in the outfield were the only ones paying any money to Veeck and keeping the franchise afloat.

How the Sox ever survived the 70's is beyond me, but it sure wasn't Disco Demolition that was causing the trouble.
Actually attendance for that period in time wasnt all that bad, the Sox drew 1,200,000 for 1979 not great but not horrible for a lousy team.The Yankees led the AL with 2.3 million. In 77 when old Comiskey rocked total attendance was 1,650,000. The Sox did not draw 2 million until 1983. 1969 and 1970 were the years the Sox could not draw flies. They also dropped a lot of flies in those years.

Fenway
01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
The reason this game tape is still around is that it was Thurman Munson's last game - August 1, 1979. He was killed in a plane crash the next day. WPIX in New York apparently didn't air the game that night, but somebody secured the White Sox tape from WSNS and broadcast it later in New York.

EDIT: Another historic note: It was also Don Kessinger's last game as Sox manager. With the team mired in a seven game losing streak, he resigned the next day and was replaced by Tony LaRussa.

I rememember WPIX doing that.

Is there any footage of when the police cleared the field? I've seen bits and pieces of the CPD entering the field behind home plate in riot gear and walking in a straight line across the infield. I've read or heard that they completely cleared the field in five minutes. It would be neat to see that, but it sounds like Ch 44 had gone to clips at that point, so maybe the footage doesn't exist completely.

I talked once to the Hawks PR guy who was Veeck's PR guru in those days about that night.

Veeck wanted WSNS off the air as quickly as possible to try and kill the story before it got out of hand ( which of course was impossible )

we be jake
01-26-2008, 01:03 AM
It was all great to see. It was cool to see Bill Gleason. I sure miss The Sportswriters on TV, perhaps the best sport talk-show ever.

Nellie_Fox
01-26-2008, 01:26 AM
It was all great to see. It was cool to see Bill Gleason. I sure miss The Sportswriters on TV, perhaps the best sport talk-show ever. :thumbsup: :nod:

Viva Medias B's
01-26-2008, 02:02 AM

The WTTW documentary, narrated by Bob Sirott, may have this. Someone in the documentary commented that those on the field were old enough to have fresh memories of Chicago's finest in those baby blue riot helmets at Michigan & Balbo in 1968. Hence, they thought it might be a good idea to go back to leave the field which they did.

madisonsoxfan
01-26-2008, 03:10 AM
It was all great to see. It was cool to see Bill Gleason. I sure miss The Sportswriters on TV, perhaps the best sport talk-show ever.

Definitely. Well, 1990 was the one time in my youth we had cable. I remember three things from that cable filled chapter in my life. the 1990 "who are these guys" White Sox, b&w home run derbys on espn, and The Sportswriters on TV. Those guys were great! I really wish there was something like that I could go to... if there is... clue me in.

The original post reminded me most of Harry, the 70s scoreboard, and Comiskey Park. Though the first two are before my time, I remember and miss Comiskey. Every now and then I search youtube for comiskey and tonight I came up with this from the '83 All Star game.
if you haven't seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5J7DLKi3pg

It's Fred Lynn and the first grand slam in All Star game history. The NaNaHeyHeys bring me back to the old park. Oh how I wish someone would have video of a Baines or Fisk homer on youtube.

cheers and thanks for the youtube find :gulp:

RadioheadRocks
01-26-2008, 03:25 AM
After Piniella grounds out to Kevin Bell, notice that Nancy Faust played "Go U Northwestern." Why did she do that?

Fixed it, and to answer your question I'm really not sure why she played that, since Kevin Bell went to Mount San Antoino Junior College and Lou Piniella went to the University of Tampa.

Falstaff
01-26-2008, 03:29 AM
My favorite '70s sidekick was JC Martin with Harry. Seemed Harry would regularly drink him under the table, and in late innings JC sometimes sounded in his cups. JC used to do the post game interview, and one time they were ready to start and the player was standing there, but alas, no JC Martin. Not sure if he forgot, was in the bathroom, or they just kept his silly mug off the TV that nite. They knew how to have fun at the ol ball park in those daze...:gulp:Would love to see some of those vids if anybody got some.

ChicagoHoosier
02-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Seems like the links were removed from youtube. Any chance anyone has more updated links to the demolition coverage?

raven1
02-08-2008, 04:22 PM
New on YouTube:

I tried the link & it said video removed - any new location for this?

WhiteSox5187
02-08-2008, 06:23 PM
I tried the link & it said video removed - any new location for this?
No, those are gone for good now, MLB is very protective over this sort of stuff, and of course they won't release it for DVD or put it on MLB.com, so we're kinda screwed...

Sox
02-10-2008, 09:22 PM

Yeah I tried to access the videos and it said that it had been removed by user......I guess I should have read a little bit further in this thread, sorry if I am being redundant.