PDA

View Full Version : Aardsma Gone - Rameriz and Dotel officially sign

Rockabilly
01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
When the Dotel signing happens today... Any predictions who might come off the 40 man roster.

soxinem1
01-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Aardsma.

nccwsfan
01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1776311#post1776311

My guess is Dewon Day- they'll give Aardsma another shot to make the Opening Day squad.

DumpJerry
01-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Day, Harrell, Haeger, Egbert or Uribe (1/2 teal, 1/2 deep pink)

Chicken Dinner
01-22-2008, 11:04 AM
There are definitely plenty of options.

Rockabilly
01-22-2008, 11:05 AM
im thinking Macdougal gets traded today

WhiteSox5187
01-22-2008, 11:07 AM
My money is on Day.

Sockinchisox
01-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Day, Harrell, Haeger, Egbert or Uribe (1/2 teal, 1/2 deep pink)

You seriously think Egbert would be dropped over guys like David Aaaaaaaaaaardsma?

downstairs
01-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I could think of 25-30 candidates.

:cool:

btrain929
01-22-2008, 11:21 AM
My vote goes to Donny Lucy.

DumpJerry
01-22-2008, 11:27 AM
My vote goes to Donny Lucy.
What about Cole Armstrong? Or is his last name a truth in advertising thing?

The Immigrant
01-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Nobody is coming off the 40 man today. Alexei Ramirez is not on the roster until his signing becomes official - which is when someone will be dropped.

Flight #24
01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Nobody is coming off the 40 man today. Alexei Ramirez is not on the roster until his signing becomes official - which is when someone will be dropped.

Whoever had the idea of Uribe might have the best one yet. I am pretty sure that Juan isn't going to provide much of value to this team that Ozuna & maybe Bourgeious can't.

Also, if Juan's picked up off of waivers, doesn't the team tht claims him become responsible for his salary? If so, I'd think he might be the best bet to actually clear waivers, allowing the Sox to possibly even keep him (and therefore not lose anyone or be forced to make a deal immediately).

Anyone know if there are any restrictions on waiving a guy you just signed?

btrain929
01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
What about Cole Armstrong? Or is his last name a truth in advertising thing?

I believe he just recently got put on the 40 man. I doubt he'd be taken off a month after he was put on.

Chez
01-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Whoever had the idea of Uribe might have the best one yet. I am pretty sure that Juan isn't going to provide much of value to this team that Ozuna & maybe Bourgeious can't.

Also, if Juan's picked up off of waivers, doesn't the team tht claims him become responsible for his salary? If so, I'd think he might be the best bet to actually clear waivers, allowing the Sox to possibly even keep him (and therefore not lose anyone or be forced to make a deal immediately).

I think the team that claims him is only on the hook for the major league minimum with the Sox still responsible for the balance of his contract.

Rockabilly
01-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Aardsma gone

Ramirez signing was official today

voodoochile
01-22-2008, 11:45 AM

Why would the Sox cut Uribe at this point in time? What are they going to do with the money, buy another gold plated toilet for the executive mens room?

Keep him as insurance in case Richar fails and to act as a bat off the bench. His value is rock bottom. It can't get worse, so why not keep him and hope it goes up if he has some quality AB early in the season?

There's still the possibility that his legal woes to start last season threw him off his workout routine and messed with his head the first half of the season and that now that he's in the clear, he'll get back to being the guy he was in the previous years here (unspectacular, but functional). At that point in time he becomes more than just a throw in on a trade offer.

Heck, a $5M utility man with some pop in his bat isn't that out of line for a lot of teams. If he bounces back, he's marketable as an add on in the Crede trade.

Rockabilly
01-22-2008, 11:49 AM
With the Ramirez and Dotel signing today

Both are official according to ESPN radio

Sockinchisox
01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Yep, here's the article.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/01/dotel-ramirez-s.html

Someone get the appreciation thread up.

btrain929
01-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Aardsma gone

Ramirez signing was official today

With the Ramirez signing official today, does that mean he got into the States and has already taken a physical?

Sockinchisox
01-22-2008, 12:04 PM
With the Ramirez signing official today, does that mean he got into the States and has already taken a physical?

Ya.

btrain929
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Ya.

Good, that was starting to scare me there for a little bit. I was picturing KW on the podium at Soxfest saying there are "difficulties" getting him into the country to make it official.

Now, lets hope this kid can grow and develop into quite an all-around ballplayer.

fquaye149
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM

But if he's not claimed

a.) you're paying a player 4 million dollars to play in AAA

b.) you're removing a very good defensive utility player from the roster in preference of the likes of Aardsma, MacDougall, etc.

gr8mexico
01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Good Signings but it's not Wednesday:D:

skottyj242
01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I think the team that claims him is only on the hook for the major league minimum with the Sox still responsible for the balance of his contract.

No, big time salary guys go on waivers all the time and don't get picked up because of their contracts. I remember Manny clearing wavers a few years back because of his contract.

Lip Man 1
01-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Aaanother one bites the dust!

:D:

Lip

Foulke You
01-22-2008, 12:34 PM
The addition by subtraction parade continues! Aardsma, Bukvich, Prinz, Cintron, Terrero, and Andy Gonzalez are all gone now. The great purge of '07 Sox crap has been extensive so far. There is no question the '08 Sox will be a much better club. Not sure if we have enough to hang with Detroit or Cleveland but we are definitely getting better.

wilburaga
01-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Aardsma

First in the alphabet, last in our hearts.

W

Chez
01-22-2008, 12:36 PM
No, big time salary guys go on waivers all the time and don't get picked up because of their contracts. I remember Manny clearing wavers a few years back because of his contract.

You're right. I think my answer applies if a player is released then signed by another club.

Flight #24
01-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Why would the Sox cut Uribe at this point in time? What are they going to do with the money, buy another gold plated toilet for the executive mens room?

It was more about the roster spot and losing a youngster who might still have some potential over a guy who IMO is replaceable as a utility IF. The money was only an issue because if the team claiming him needed to be responsible for it, that might get him through waivers (which is true in August, I'm not sure why/how preseason waivers are different). In that scenario, the Sox would have been able to take both Uribe (on a AAA deal) and AAAAArdsma to ST and see if one of them develops enough worth to be used in trade.

But it's moot regardless, because they waived Aardsma. IMO this means Masset likely makes the team as the 6th or 7th reliever. Unless he can develop enough value to be used in trade.

duke of dorwood
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
The addition by subtraction parade continues! Aardsma, Bukvich, Prinz, Cintron, Terrero, and Andy Gonzalez are all gone now. The great purge of '07 Sox crap has been extensive so far. There is no question the '08 Sox will be a much better club. Not sure if we have enough to hang with Detroit or Cleveland but we are definitely getting better.

The old "getting better by subtraction" thing sure applies to this off season

diehardRLsoxfan
01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Aaaaaaaaaarghdsma!!! Sorry just had to say it one last time to get it out of my system. Never have I experienced so much joy in saying a name and then so much pain in watching them perform.

The Dude
01-22-2008, 02:22 PM
im thinking Macdougal gets traded today

I don't even think a drunken high GM would even think of doing such a dumb thing.

thomas35forever
01-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Aardsma

First in the alphabet, last in our hearts.

W
:thumbsup:

KRS1
01-22-2008, 02:50 PM

Keep him as insurance in case Richar fails and to act as a bat off the bench. His value is rock bottom. It can't get worse, so why not keep him and hope it goes up if he has some quality AB early in the season?

There's still the possibility that his legal woes to start last season threw him off his workout routine and messed with his head the first half of the season and that now that he's in the clear, he'll get back to being the guy he was in the previous years here (unspectacular, but functional). At that point in time he becomes more than just a throw in on a trade offer.

Heck, a $5M utility man with some pop in his bat isn't that out of line for a lot of teams. If he bounces back, he's marketable as an add on in the Crede trade.

Let me first say that I agree completely about keeping Juan on our bench.

However, workout routine? What would that be? Him working out of his size 36 waist pants to a size 40?

Chicken Dinner
01-22-2008, 02:58 PM
I don't even think a drunken high GM would even think of doing such a dumb thing.

Massett will be the next to go.........he's out of options.

Gammons Peter
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM
well at least we did'nt trade Cotts for nothing

diehardRLsoxfan
01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
well at least we did'nt trade Cotts for nothing

Never trust the northsiders, they knew what they were doing when they shipped that bum over here. At least Cotts showed his true colors as well for the Cubbies, or at least their AAA affiliate.

Flight #24
01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
The simple and obvious next move is Aardsma+Uribe to the Os for Roberts! If they insist, throw in Floyd and they include Bedard!

:nana

KyWhiSoxFan
01-22-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't see anyone trading for Aarsdma. What could you possibly get for him, someone's fourth starter at single A?

Sisco will be the next one to go, hopefully in a trade. The only way he is around on opening day is if he is in AAA and continues his work as a starter. The only thing that could possibly help him is a bunch of innings so he can learn how to pitch (but I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen).

The Immigrant
01-22-2008, 06:05 PM
However, workout routine? What would that be? Him working out of his size 36 waist pants to a size 40?

To be fair, his Bowflex did get lost in the mail.

SoxNation05
01-22-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't see anyone trading for Aarsdma. What could you possibly get for him, someone's fourth starter at single A?

Sisco will be the next one to go, hopefully in a trade. The only way he is around on opening day is if he is in AAA and continues his work as a starter. The only thing that could possibly help him is a bunch of innings so he can learn how to pitch (but I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen).
Actually towards the end of last season Sisco was in triple a and went 4-0 with like a 1 era AS A STARTER. I think they are going to try to turn him in to a starter again.

Frontman
01-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Darn, I got so excited when I'd hear on the radio:

"Yo ho, yo ho; a pirate's life for me."

A. Cavatica
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Here's his appreciation thread:

Buh-bye.

Brian26
01-22-2008, 09:17 PM

I'm listening to the conference call right now. Kenny just said MacDougal has some of the best stuff in the league, I kid you not.

oeo
01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Massett will be the next to go.........he's out of options.

So is Sisco...he'll be out of here before Masset is. Masset will get his shot at a starting rotation job...the rotation is not set in stone.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-22-2008, 10:11 PM
So is Sisco...he'll be out of here before Masset is. Masset will get his shot at a starting rotation job...the rotation is not set in stone.

How does this work? Sisco is out of options but he finished the year in AAA. If the Sox leave him at AAA at the start of the year, does he still go on waivers or does he have to be on the 25-man roster at the start of the season because he's out of option?

MisterB
01-22-2008, 10:38 PM
How does this work? Sisco is out of options but he finished the year in AAA. If the Sox leave him at AAA at the start of the year, does he still go on waivers or does he have to be on the 25-man roster at the start of the season because he's out of option?

Every ML team has a 40-man roster. 25 make up the active roster and the other 15 will be either on "optional assignment" to the minors or on the 15-day DL. Since he's out of options, Sisco would have to either make the active roster out of ST or pass through waivers to be sent down.

Nellie_Fox
01-23-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm listening to the conference call right now. Kenny just said MacDougal has some of the best stuff in the league, I kid you not.Stuff hasn't been his problem; command has.

Frater Perdurabo
01-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Someone else astutely pointed out that the changes to the team have resulted in only one net loss - Garland - but a plethora of big improvements elsewhere through adding better players and removing AAAA flotsam at the bottom of the roster.

This is a stronger team now than it was at the end of the 2007 season

In addition, it's quite safe to assume Paulie and Dye will "progress to the mean" of their career averages after both had down years in 2007. So, while I still would like the Sox to acquire (or develop) a legitimate leadoff hitter to add some balance to the lineup (it would be fantastic if Owens or Ramirez could fill this role), I think this team will score lots of runs. I also think the bullpen will hold leads, which makes it possible for both Vazquez and Buehrle to win 18-20 games.

So, the ultimate success of this team will depend on how the 3, 4 and 5 starters perform. Given the Sox offense and bullpen, if two among Contreras, Floyd and Danks can throw ERAs below 4.5, I think the Sox are legitimate contenders.

rdivaldi
01-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Stuff hasn't been his problem; command has.

I agree, Mac has wicked "stuff". He's just very inconsistent with his command, as shown by his up and down months/years.

Bob G
01-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Someone else astutely pointed out that the changes to the team have resulted in only one net loss - Garland - but a plethora of big improvements elsewhere through adding better players and removing AAAA flotsam at the bottom of the roster.

This is a stronger team now than it was at the end of the 2007 season

In addition, it's quite safe to assume Paulie and Dye will "progress to the mean" of their career averages after both had down years in 2007. So, while I still would like the Sox to acquire (or develop) a legitimate leadoff hitter to add some balance to the lineup (it would be fantastic if Owens or Ramirez could fill this role), I think this team will score lots of runs. I also think the bullpen will hold leads, which makes it possible for both Vazquez and Buehrle to win 18-20 games.

So, the ultimate success of this team will depend on how the 3, 4 and 5 starters perform. Given the Sox offense and bullpen, if two among Contreras, Floyd and Danks can throw ERAs below 4.5, I think the Sox are legitimate contenders.

Going into last season a lot of people (including myself) thought the bullpen was improved and it was for about the first 6 weeks and then we all know what happened ...

I'm not convinced this team is all that much better ... losing Garland who was one of our more reliable starters is tough to make up unless KW manages to trade for another SP that's close to Jon.

Saying both Buerhle and Vazquez may possibly win 18-20 means they would both need to have career years .. possible but unlikely.

Even if the Sox are improved when you consider what other teams have done in our division (like Detroit) there's still work to do.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-23-2008, 03:34 PM
I agree, Mac has wicked "stuff". He's just very inconsistent with his command, as shown by his up and down months/years.

I think most of his problems is between his ears. He's never been able to pitch under pressure as far as I'm concerned. He had problems closing when he was young in KC and those problems have followed him. Maybe if he is called on to only pitch in the 6th or 7th innings, since the Sox now have Dotel and Linebrink for setup men, he may actually pitch pretty well since expectations will be so low, as will the pressure.

TheVulture
01-23-2008, 03:44 PM

I love Pablo and he brings a lot to the team, but compared to him with the glove, Uribe is Ozzie Smith x 10.

TheVulture
01-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Saying both Buerhle and Vazquez may possibly win 18-20 means they would both need to have career years .. possible but unlikely.

Not really - both could have won 18 last year if they had a team playing quality baseball with an effective bullpen behind them.

Frater Perdurabo
01-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Not really - both could have won 18 last year if they had a team playing quality baseball with an effective bullpen behind them.

I agree. Both Buehrle and Vazquez (and Garland and Danks, too) had a lot of winnable games blown by the bullpen in 2007. I think Lip listed 18 games in which the Sox entered the 7th inning or later with a lead and the bullpen blew the lead and lost the game. An 18-game swing turns last year's team into a 90-win club.

I'm not sure the additions of Linebrink and Dotel add 18 wins, but perhaps they can add 10-12 wins. (In addition, using MacDougal and Thornton less frequently and in lower-pressure situations, and Logan against lefties exclusively, will make them more effective.) Many of those wins will go to the starters who will have left the game with the lead, which makes it possible that either Buehrle or Vazquez - if they pitch well themselves - could have 18-20 wins.

oeo
01-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Going into last season a lot of people (including myself) thought the bullpen was improved and it was for about the first 6 weeks and then we all know what happened ...

Two entirely different bullpens, though. One was built on these young fireballers who had potential. This year's will have a good veteran presence. That doesn't guarantee anything, but at least we have an idea of what we're going to get from them this year.

I'm not convinced this team is all that much better ... losing Garland who was one of our more reliable starters is tough to make up unless KW manages to trade for another SP that's close to Jon.There are backup plans all over the place. If we're bitten by the injury bug again, we don't have to rely on the Andy Gonzalez's, Ryan Bukvich's, etc. of the world. This team is actually pretty deep (outside of the rotation).

Saying both Buerhle and Vazquez may possibly win 18-20 means they would both need to have career years .. possible but unlikely.That's not necessarily true. Garland won 18 games in 2006, and he didn't do anything special.

Even if the Sox are improved when you consider what other teams have done in our division (like Detroit) there's still work to do.I'm not saying we have a shot, because I'm very wary of the starting rotation. But, Detroit has a lot of the same question marks that we do.
Their bullpen was in the bottom half of the league last year, and they've done nothing to improve it. They will still be without Zumaya for awhile, and the guy appears to be made of glass.
Our starting pitching was actually better than their's last year. What have they done to improve it? Added Dontrelle Willis who has actually declined the last two years. After Verlander, that rotation is iffy.
Kenny Rogers will be a concern like Contreras.
You still constantly only hear about Bonderman's 'potential.' Well, he's been in the league for awhile now, maybe this guy will never reach that 'potential.'
Robertson is mediocre, but is fine for the bottom of the rotation.
Their team is aging, just like ours. It's entirely possible that they are bit by the injury bug next year. I-Roid, Sheffield, Maggs, Guillen, Polanco, Renteria are all getting up there in age. And since they traded away the farm for Renteria, Cabrera, and Willis, they don't have immediate help in the minors anymore.They will, without a doubt, score a ton of runs if they stay healthy. But they still have holes, a lot of which were there last year and have not been fixed.

If the Indians follow recent history, Sabathia and Carmona will see a drop-off this year after pitching deep into October. And they have done absolutely nothing to improve.

The Twins have taken a couple steps backwards after losing both Castillo and Hunter. Will Liriano return to form? If Santana is gone, they're definitely not going to be in contention.

Again, I'm not saying we have a shot, but I'm ready to see how this plays out. I'm not ready to anoint the Tigers as division champs just yet. I like what Kenny has done. I still think they're a year away from taking the division, but the immediate future of the team looks a hell of a lot brighter than it did in October.

turners56
01-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Let's see what Ramirez can do :D.

rdivaldi
01-23-2008, 05:23 PM
I think most of his problems is between his ears. He's never been able to pitch under pressure as far as I'm concerned. He had problems closing when he was young in KC and those problems have followed him. Maybe if he is called on to only pitch in the 6th or 7th innings, since the Sox now have Dotel and Linebrink for setup men, he may actually pitch pretty well since expectations will be so low, as will the pressure.

I think that is the plan, at least that is what I would do...

Bob G
01-23-2008, 06:34 PM

We had an outstanding bullpen in '05 - Mark won 16 and Jon won 18 games during the regular season. Our starters combined for 75 wins and the bullpen won 24 that wonderful year.

Trying to be as realistic as possible I don't see how the current projected rotation gets anywhere close to 75 even if Mark and Javier combine for 35 W's and the '08 bullpen is every bit as good as the one in '05 - which is a tall order. To make the playoffs we'll likely need 94 or 95 wins.

sox1970
01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
We had an outstanding bullpen in '05 - Mark won 16 and Jon won 18 games during the regular season. Our starters combined for 75 wins and the bullpen won 24 that wonderful year.

Trying to be as realistic as possible I don't see how the current projected rotation gets anywhere close to 75 even if Mark and Javier combine for 35 W's and the '08 bullpen is every bit as good as the one in '05 - which is a tall order. To make the playoffs we'll likely need 94 or 95 wins.

Good stat on the 24 bullpen wins. In fact, the average AL playoff team the last three years has had 95 wins, and the average bullpen among those 12 teams went 24-18.

So if that's the starting point, the rotation would have to go 71-49. I think Vazquez and Buehrle would have to go 34-18. The other three would have to go 37-31. Could happen. Probably would hinge on Contreras since I don't think we can expect Floyd/Danks to exceed .500.

soxinem1
01-23-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure the additions of Linebrink and Dotel add 18 wins, but perhaps they can add 10-12 wins. (In addition, using MacDougal and Thornton less frequently and in lower-pressure situations, and Logan against lefties exclusively, will make them more effective.)

I don't know, look at their appearances to IP totals. Most of the season, even when they were throwing well, they only faced one or two guys.

And MacDougal is a former closer. He sure wasn't in nowhere near the amount of pressure situations with us than in prior seasons.

I'd have to say thins day and age, most IP have some sort of pressure. There was a time when even a crappy team could hold a five run lead after 5-6 innings, but not anymore.

I actually like MacD's stuff more than Dotel's or Linebrink's. He just needs to throw good, quality strikes.

SBSoxFan
01-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Good stat on the 24 bullpen wins. In fact, the average AL playoff team the last three years has had 95 wins, and the average bullpen among those 12 teams went 24-18.

So if that's the starting point, the rotation would have to go 71-49. I think Vazquez and Buehrle would have to go 34-18. The other three would have to go 37-31. Could happen. Probably would hinge on Contreras since I don't think we can expect Floyd/Danks to exceed .500.

Interesting numbers. In an awful year, Contreras still won 10 games. Danks won 6 in only 26 starts, and he should have been closer to 10. So, it might be reasonable to expect, say, 22 wins out of Danks+Contreras. That leaves 15 from Floyd. Obviously a tall, order, but 88+ wins seems attainable. That might not be enough, but should certainly be more fun than 72 wins!

drewcifer
01-24-2008, 12:37 AM
I don't know, look at their appearances to IP totals. Most of the season, even when they were throwing well, they only faced one or two guys.

And MacDougal is a former closer. He sure wasn't in nowhere near the amount of pressure situations with us than in prior seasons.

I'd have to say thins day and age, most IP have some sort of pressure. There was a time when even a crappy team could hold a five run lead after 5-6 innings, but not anymore.

I actually like MacD's stuff more than Dotel's or Linebrink's. He just needs to throw good, quality strikes.

He doesn't, though. He's a year off, year on, year off, year on, type of reliever. In fact, he threw himself off his OWN routine if you look at it.

MacDougal is junk. I'm THRILLED we have 2 other real options, plus a LOOGY and Wasserman to fill innings in lieu of guys the likes of Sisco (Dey), Aardsma, and Bukvich.

FedEx227
01-24-2008, 01:14 AM

Easy to say, and I'm sure he'd love to do that, I think we'd all love to do that, unfortunately he's a mechanical mess.

Cooper needs to spend about a week in ST with him. His head flies ALL over the place and to make matters worse his shoulder flies wide open as well, get those straightened out and he'd be fine, however it's not easy to break old habits.

Soxfanspcu11
01-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Devon Day has such a weak delivery from the mound. To me, he is just going to be one of those guys who spends the next 20 years with 80% of this time in the Minors and the other 20% being his various September call-ups for pretty much every team in the league.

I mean, he just doesn't have anything "special" about him. Just your typical right hander who is just not all that talented.

I hope that I am wrong about him and he goes on to have a successful career, but I just don't think that that will happen. And that being the case, I think the Sox really have no choice but to pull the plug on him.