PDA

View Full Version : Sox to auction off tickets to certain games

soxfan21
01-21-2008, 07:18 PM
I was just browsing on the sox site when I noticed that they are now going to be holding an auction later this month to auction off tickets to certain prime and premier games in the premium lower box section: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080121&content_id=2352009&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
Do you guys think that this is a good idea, or just another way for the sox to squeze more money out of us. I think that it would be nice to sit in this area if I did not already have season tickets with a pretty good view, but I also think that the sox are trying to get more revenue because the starting bids for these seats are pretty high, and they only come in 4 seat sets. I would just like to know your guys thoughts on this.

chisoxmike
01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
The Bulls do this. I think its a ticketmaster thing. A lot of teams do it. Nothing to get all up and arms about.

Sargeant79
01-21-2008, 07:36 PM
A lot of teams do it.

Including the White Sox. They auctioned off several premium seats and packages throughout the course of the year last season as well.

It is what it is. All businesses are under constant pressure to find new ways to generate revenue without expending additional resources. This is just the latest trend in doing so within sports businesses.

voodoochile
01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
What would be cool is if they did the opposite with early season weekday games and offered a cheapo auction to fill some seats for games that might otherwise draw 20K.

rdwj
01-21-2008, 07:44 PM
What would be cool is if they did the opposite with early season weekday games and offered a cheapo auction to fill some seats for games that might otherwise draw 20K.

Then you piss off season ticket holders who just paid full price for similar tickets.

voodoochile
01-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Then you piss off season ticket holders who just paid full price for similar tickets.

People who want season tickets are going to buy them regardless. I don't see this being an issue for them, especially if they got "premium auction games" for face value too.

Besides, wouldn't most season ticket holders want to see the Sox with more fans at the games and thus more revenue to spend? Every $5 seat sold in April adds another $10 or so in concessions and suddenly a 8K seat increase for 15 early season games adds a couple million to the bottom line.

If the Sox field a successful team, the season tickets will sell themselves. The issue is how to get butts in the seats on those Wednesday night games in April when the temperature is 48 with a stiff breeze off the lake.

I think they should do it closer to the start of the season or even week of, but games that are half sold don't do the team any good at all.

doublem23
01-21-2008, 07:51 PM

You can't devalue your product like that.

This is the next wave of the future for sporting events or concerts, especially events that are going to sell out. Sports teams all over the world have seen the prices some tickets fetch on eBay, StubHub, or other 2nd-hand sources. You can't blame them for wanting to get at that profit. As a fan, it sucks as it will drive ticket prices up, but I'd rather see that profit in the hands of the Sox brass where it can (theoretically) be invested in the team, rather than some guy who runs an auction website.

voodoochile
01-21-2008, 08:00 PM
You can't devalue your product like that.

This is the next wave of the future for sporting events or concerts, especially events that are going to sell out. Sports teams all over the world have seen the prices some tickets fetch on eBay, StubHub, or other 2nd-hand sources. You can't blame them for wanting to get at that profit. As a fan, it sucks as it will drive ticket prices up, but I'd rather see that profit in the hands of the Sox brass where it can (theoretically) be invested in the team, rather than some guy who runs an auction website.

Companies do things like this all the time, though mostly in reverse, selling low and then increasing the price as things get closer to sold out, in fact, that might not be a bad idea either, give the season ticket holders a set price then once a certain percentage of the stadium is sold, raise tickets a buck then another buck at the next level and the final 10% goes for premium prices of $5 over season ticket face value.

Work it both ways, sell low on low demand days and high on high demand days. Sox in the playoff hunt in August on a 85 degree Sunday playing the Toons? You don't want to try to walk up for that one...

soxfan1983
01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
how does this affect sox pride club members with purchasing tickets?

soxtalker
01-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Companies do things like this all the time, though mostly in reverse, selling low and then increasing the price as things get closer to sold out, in fact, that might not be a bad idea either, give the season ticket holders a set price then once a certain percentage of the stadium is sold, raise tickets a buck then another buck at the next level and the final 10% goes for premium prices of $5 over season ticket face value.

Work it both ways, sell low on low demand days and high on high demand days. Sox in the playoff hunt in August on a 85 degree Sunday playing the Toons? You don't want to try to walk up for that one...

I think that's a great idea, and it's probably the way things will be done in the future. In a sense, much of the scalping of tickets works that way. When the weather or team performance reduces demand, there are plenty of people trying to unload tickets in front of the park for whatever price they can get.

I like going to games. This would probably price me out of the better games, but it would also allow me to go to more games.

Brian26
01-21-2008, 08:46 PM
People who want season tickets are going to buy them regardless. I don't see this being an issue for them, especially if they got "premium auction games" for face value too.

I disagree Voodoo.

A majority of people who buy season tickets are doing so for the big games (Cubs, Yankees, Carmines, interleague, and playoffs) and summer weekend games. The baggage that goes along with this, April games that are freezing, late-season games when the team might be out of the race, weekday DAY games....these can all be considered necessary evils of having season tickets. People find different ways of using these tickets, but the bottom line is that people have basically already paid full price for these tickets and they are a pain in the ass to either sell or use.

It's unfair to start giving those tickets away to other customers now. If you're going to do that, what keeps the season ticket holders from canceling their plans and just buying single game tickets to the select games they want to attend?

Oblong
01-21-2008, 08:54 PM
It's really no different than airlines or hotel rooms. Every time you fly do you think you paid the same price as the guy next to you? Most likely not. .

soxfanreggie
01-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Here's a key: "plus additional processing and service fees"...this going to be, what...$5-8 a ticket?

These fees they charge are getting to be absolutely ridiculous.

BainesHOF
01-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Great, now the Sox have joined the Cubs in scalping their own fans.

It's just a sad sign of the times that people don't think there's anything wrong with it.

nccwsfan
01-22-2008, 08:24 AM

It's not just the Cubs or White Sox, it's Major League Baseball. StubHub is now the "official" secondary ticket supplier of MLB. This will eventually work its way into other sports leagues (several NFL teams have StubHub as their official secondary ticket supplier) and will become commonplace.

Frater Perdurabo
01-22-2008, 09:08 AM
It's really no different than airlines or hotel rooms. Every time you fly do you think you paid the same price as the guy next to you? Most likely not. .

Funny that you - a Tigers fan - should bring this up. My group had reservations for four hotel rooms at the Adams Mark in St. Louis for a convention in late October, 2006. Then the Cardinals and Tigers made the World Series, and the Adams Mark (which became the official Tigers hotel in St. Louis) kicked out hundreds of guests who reserved months earlier at $149 per night to make room for Tigers fans who were paying $649 per night. (I pulled a few strings to keep my group from getting kicked out!)
:smile:

thepaulbowski
01-22-2008, 09:29 AM

It's just a sad sign of the times that people don't think there's anything wrong with it.

The Sox did this last year had some other auctions in the past as well. With some of the proceeds going to charity, I don't see what the problem is.

voodoochile
01-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I disagree Voodoo.

A majority of people who buy season tickets are doing so for the big games (Cubs, Yankees, Carmines, interleague, and playoffs) and summer weekend games. The baggage that goes along with this, April games that are freezing, late-season games when the team might be out of the race, weekday DAY games....these can all be considered necessary evils of having season tickets. People find different ways of using these tickets, but the bottom line is that people have basically already paid full price for these tickets and they are a pain in the ass to either sell or use.

It's unfair to start giving those tickets away to other customers now. If you're going to do that, what keeps the season ticket holders from canceling their plans and just buying single game tickets to the select games they want to attend?

Because they are guaranteed access to the stuff I highlighted. In addition, they get the best seats they want be they behind home plate or in the bleachers. Tiered pricing would work both for them and against them. Yes, they'd be paying more for the crappy games but less (and potentially WAY less) for the premium games. Once the playoff tier system hit they'd be way out in front of the folks who decided to buy single game seats.

Unsold seats are lost revenue period just as surely as selling for face and letting scalpers reap the rewards is.

skottyj242
01-22-2008, 12:30 PM

I wouldn't mind that just to put butts in the seats, I get pissed on Mondays with all the yahoos that paid half price for seats similar to mine.

BeefyD
01-22-2008, 01:59 PM
If the Sox field a successful team, the season tickets will sell themselves. The issue is how to get butts in the seats on those Wednesday night games in April when the temperature is 48 with a stiff breeze off the lake.

Easy, have Buehrle throw a no-hitter. :D: My buddies and I were even thinking in the parking lot before that game, "Why the hell are here. It's cold and we're playing the Rangers." Little did we know that we would see history.