PDA

View Full Version : Tom Paciorek Interview

Lip Man 1
01-21-2008, 06:59 PM
He was popular as a player, and he was even more popular as a broadcaster.

Tom Paciorek, "Wimpy" is the latest addition to the White Sox Interactive interview lineup and you can find the story on the main page or at this link:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3523

Tom talked about his playing days with the Sox (including some ill timed comments about Tony LaRussa early in the 1983 season,) how he got into the broadcast booth in the first place, why he eventually left the Sox employ and finally on the state of the business of broadcasting baseball (which he looks at in very, very honest tones...)

I hope you'll enjoy reading this. Tom's really a great guy!

Lip

grv1974
01-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Doesn't Wimpy look like Steve Winwood? (at least back in the 80's)

Paulwny
01-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Another great job Lip!!!!!!!!

BadBobbyJenks
01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
“I guess it turned out that was the high point of the season. I certainly remember that game because I didn’t start it yet still had five hits. I was actually eating pizza in the umpires dressing room when one of the clubhouse guys told me I had to go in the game for Ron Kittle. Kitty came down with a migraine. I asked the guy when I was needed and he said something like ‘you’re up next!’ I flew into the dugout and had pizza sauce all over my uniform top. I struck out on three pitches and remember thinking, ‘hell, Kittle could have done that!’

hahaha great stuff.

Oblong
01-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Great Article! Hamtramck native. I love Paciorek and wish the Tigers would have gotten him to do their games instead of Rod Allen. I guess we see why he's not doing it anymore. He's too good. He's dead on about that.

Paciorek came to the Sox on December 11, 1981 for Jim Essian, Rod Allen and Todd Cruz

That's interesting. Rod Allen's a Detroit broadcaster and former Tiger and Todd Cruz is from the Detroit area like Paciorek. Cruz ran around in the same circles as my older sisters. I used to go to his house when I was very little. He's fallen on hard times I hear. It wasn't exactly the greatest crowd.

I used to love listening to him on WGN games and he'd fill in with the Tigers here and there. I thought he was good with Hawk because it really felt like watching the game with a couple of friends at the bar. I don't need play by play, I have a TV to tell me that.

Brian26
01-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I wonder which XM broadcast duo he was referring to?

:farmer :slowswing

rdwj
01-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Great read - man I miss 'ole Wimpy

Sox
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
That was a great interview and article. I enjoyed it throughly.......:smile:

Lip Man 1
01-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Brian:

That's a pretty good guess!

:D:

I acknowledge your intuition.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Nice job as always, Lip. I enjoyed it. Thank you and keep up the great work!

gregoriop
01-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm too young to remember him as a player but he helped me get interested in White Sox baseball. I miss him!

PennStater98r
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
He was popular as a player, and he was even more popular as a broadcaster.

Tom Paciorek, "Wimpy" is the latest addition to the White Sox Interactive interview lineup and you can find the story on the main page or at this link:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3523

Tom talked about his playing days with the Sox (including some ill timed comments about Tony LaRussa early in the 1983 season,) how he got into the broadcast booth in the first place, why he eventually left the Sox employ and finally on the state of the business of broadcasting baseball (which he looks at in very, very honest tones...)

I hope you'll enjoy reading this. Tom's really a great guy!

Lip

Nice interview Lip - you asked thoughtful questions!

MarySwiss
01-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Very nice article, Lip...as usual. I could almost hear "Wimpy's" voice!

Palehose13
01-22-2008, 07:30 PM
That was a great interview, Lip. It was a pleasure to read. I had a bit of a chuckle when he said that saw that the team of Hawk & Wimpy were really, really good after he had to watch some old tapes. They sure were.

we be jake
01-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Great read - man I miss 'ole Wimpy

DITTO, MAN, DITTO !

Brian26
01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Brian:

That's a pretty good guess!

:D:

I acknowledge your intuition.

Lip

Not so much intuition as that I think I heard that same broadcast. :redneck

chisox77
01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Great job, Lip. As I was reading TP's responses, I could easily hear that pleasant voice of his. I enjoyed his work on the field and in the broadcast booth - a great guy!

:cool:

Save McCuddy's
01-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Great Job -- thanks for the read. I miss Wimpy.

Joedude
01-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Cool interview. We've had some great announcers, and he's near the top of the list. I'd love to see some of those Mariner commercials, too.

ode to veeck
01-23-2008, 12:39 AM
read it when it posted yesterday

great job Lip!

who else you got queuing up for a possible interview these days?

I'd love to see one with Manos or Caballo ... or how about Goose (there was some good stuff in the press when he made the hall the other day)

voodoochile
01-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Wow, what a steal of an interview. Great job, Lip.

I admit that I too was subconsciously hearing Wimpy's voice when I was reading his replies.

Great insight into the time Tom spent here in Chicago.

Thanks.

BainesHOF
01-23-2008, 03:33 AM
Good job, Lip. It was refreshing to read an interview subject be so honest.

I do remember how painful it was to hear how Hawk would put down Wimpy or make him look bad in their later stages of working together. That was no fun to listen to.

Lip, I appreciate the time you take to expound on the references made in the interviews. That adds a lot.

Railsplitter
01-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Great interview. Usually, I just skim for interesting stuff, but this one I read top to bottom.

Zisk77
01-23-2008, 08:31 AM
I remember when he first came to the sox doing those funny promo commercials imitating Count dracula and john wayne..."sometimes you got to punch those doggies through the infield, Pilgrim." :cool:

Procol Harum
01-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Real good interview--I too miss Wimpy. And, yeah--I was hearing his voice as I was reading the article!

paciorek1983
01-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Of course I miss him too!!

I remember one day I was watching a tape of a game during the offseason that he and Hawk were announcing and just thinking how I couldn't wait for the season to start so I could hear them again.

A few days later is when I saw on the news that Wimpy was not going to returning to the Sox booth. :(::(:

eriqjaffe
01-23-2008, 12:38 PM
We had a good team and don’t forget the contributions of Jerry Koosman. He was just incredible. Even at his age he could still throw hard. I bet you right now he could go out and still throw. He could do anything you needed a pitcher to do...start, close, work long relief, anything.:KW
"He's not repped by Boras, is he?"

Lip Man 1
01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Ode:

I have been in touch with Goose since this past summer trying to line something up. So far it just hasn't come together and now with the HOF announcement I think he'll probably be very busy over the next few months.

I'll keep trying with Goose but I have other options that I'm in the process of trying to pin down. Among them are the following: (note these are POSSIBILITIES, not guaranteed...)

Johnny Buzhardt, Oscar Gamble, Ron Hansen, Mike Hershberger, Dr. Gail Hopkins, LaMarr Hoyt, Turk Lown, Greg Luzinski, Jim McAnany, Jorge Orta, Danny Pasqua, Jungle Jim Rivera, Marv Rotblatt, Bobby Thigpen, Steve Trout, Greg Walker, Al Weis, Brooks Boyer, Bob Grim, Joe McConnell, Bill Mercer and Scott Reifert.

I'm sure I can come up with someone and have an interesting discussion.

Lip