PDA

View Full Version : Updated roster 1/21/08

kwkonsl
01-21-2008, 03:29 PM
The roster after spring training will most likely look like this as of right now. This is with Dotel. 5 starting pitchers, 7 relievers, 9 starting position players including Thome, 4 bench players

Pitchers:
SP: Mark Buehrle
SP: Javier Vazquez
SP: Jose Contreras
SP: John Danks
SP: Gavin Floyd
BP: O. Dotel
BP: Ehren Wasserman
BP: Mike MacDougal
BP: Boone Logan
BP: Scott Linebrink
BP: Matt Thornton
BP: Bobby Jenks

Catchers:
AJ Pierzynski
Toby Hall

Infielders:
1B: Paul Konerko
2B: Danny Richar
3B: Josh Fields
SS: Orlando Cabrera
2B/SS/ 3B: Juan Uribe

Outfielders:
Nick Swisher (LF/ CF/ 1B)
Jermaine Dye (RF)
Carlos Quentin (LF/ RF)
Jerry Owens (CF/ LF)
Pablo Ozuna (LF/ INF)

Designated Hitter:
Jim Thome

You may see KW try to make a couple of moves such as trading Joe Crede (which I think will be done by the end of ST). I think that Crede will be dealt for a couple of mid level prospects. Ozuna can play the infield/ Outfield as well.

Bourgeois, Getz and Ramirez will be waiting in the wings as far as position players goes

Hager, Broadway waiting in the wings for pitchers

WhiteSox5187
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I think Crede is going to be on the team OD and gone sometime in May or June....that rotation doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence, but I like that bullpen.

IceczMan
01-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Long Reliever?

While I really like Wasserman, I cant see the team keeping both him and MacDougal, assuming MacDougal bounces back in spring training.

Bob G
01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
If we expect to win 90+ games we'll need one more reliable starting pitcher. Among Contreras, Danks and Floyd - not all three will come through, we'll be lucky if two have decent years and I doubt if Jose will stay healthy the entire year.

nodiggity59
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
KW will not give up so easily on Sisco, Aardsma, and Masset. I'd bet two of those guys make the roster somehow, even if Macdougal has to go.

Though I imagine Sisco and Masset will be given a chance to compete for a rotation spot. KW might be looking at them as AAA rotation depth.

IceczMan
01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
KW will not give up so easily on Sisco, Aardsma, and Masset. I'd bet two of those guys make the roster somehow, even if Macdougal has to go.

Though I imagine Sisco and Masset will be given a chance to compete for a rotation spot. KW might be looking at them as AAA rotation depth.

Just asking, but let me see if I understand this correctly. Sisco, Aardsma, and Masset are out of options, so if they do not make the Sox 25 man roster at the conclusion of spring training, are they then considered free agents? And if they are than effectively free agents, is it possible/likely for them to resign with the team and play in AAA?

The way I see it, unless any of these players have a breakout spring training, I would hate for the team just to lose them because they are out of options, but I would also hate for the organization to have them on the roster if it means keeping them but having a better option in MacDougal/Wasserman/Logan down in AAA. Ideally, it would be great to be able to keep these players as backups in AAA in case of injuries or any of the pitchers on the roster fail to meet expectations. Is there any possibility for this scenario to happen?

pearso66
01-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Just asking, but let me see if I understand this correctly. Sisco, Aardsma, and Masset are out of options, so if they do not make the Sox 25 man roster at the conclusion of spring training, are they then considered free agents? And if they are than effectively free agents, is it possible/likely for them to resign with the team and play in AAA?

The way I see it, unless any of these players have a breakout spring training, I would hate for the team just to lose them because they are out of options, but I would also hate for the organization to have them on the roster if it means keeping them but having a better option in MacDougal/Wasserman/Logan down in AAA. Ideally, it would be great to be able to keep these players as backups in AAA in case of injuries or any of the pitchers on the roster fail to meet expectations. Is there any possibility for this scenario to happen?

If I'm not mistaken, They will have to pass through waivers, which I'm sure Massett and Sisco probably wouldn't. And if they did, I'm not sure if they have to report to AAA or they might have the option of becoming a free agent. If that is the case, and they choose to become a free agent, I don't know why they would then resign with the Sox to go AAA when they would have been there anyway.

IceczMan
01-21-2008, 05:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, They will have to pass through waivers, which I'm sure Massett and Sisco probably wouldn't. And if they did, I'm not sure if they have to report to AAA or they might have the option of becoming a free agent. If that is the case, and they choose to become a free agent, I don't know why they would then resign with the Sox to go AAA when they would have been there anyway.

Thanks, that clears alot up for me as I completely forgot waivers. As to Sisco and Massett resigning with the sox just to go back to AAA...My line of thinking was that most, if not all, teams are set with they're rosters once the season starts and that it might be hard for Sisco or Massett to make any team's 25 man roster at the start of the season. The reason they might decide to resign with the sox would be because we have 3/5th of our rotation that isnt considered proven, with Danks/Floyd being younger and Contreras after his performance last season. While I hope all 3 pitchers are lights out this season, the potential for the Sox needed to call up a starter during the season might be greater than other teams in the league.

pearso66
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks, that clears alot up for me as I completely forgot waivers. As to Sisco and Massett resigning with the sox just to go back to AAA...My line of thinking was that most, if not all, teams are set with they're rosters once the season starts and that it might be hard for Sisco or Massett to make any team's 25 man roster at the start of the season. The reason they might decide to resign with the sox would be because we have 3/5th of our rotation that isnt considered proven, with Danks/Floyd being younger and Contreras after his performance last season. While I hope all 3 pitchers are lights out this season, the potential for the Sox needed to call up a starter during the season might be greater than other teams in the league.

Once again, I was only speculating, I know that some players can opt for free-agency instead of reporting to AAA, but that could be players with enough service time, in which maybe only Sisco would have enough, which I doubt. So it's possible if they make it through waivers, they would be forced to report to AAA, I'm sure there are others here who are more certain of that than I am.

sullythered
01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
If it's for a couple mid level prospects, we better not trade Joe. He's more valuable than that. And if he's not more valuable than that to other teams, it would be insane to move him. He's way better than Josh Fields, and that's not a knock on Josh.

raven1
01-21-2008, 07:05 PM

I expect that Masset will win the long reliever slot, and be the emergency starter in case one of the others fails.

I also expect that the Sox will only carry 11 pitchers, which means that Wasserman and/or Logan probably won't be on the team. The biggest omission from the list is Jerry Owens, who will likely be our opening day center or left fielder & leadoff man. Quentin will probably start the year on the DL, so Brian Anderson could win the 4th outfielder slot again (at least temporarily).

rowand33
01-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I expect that Masset will win the long reliever slot, and be the emergency starter in case one of the others fails.

I also expect that the Sox will only carry 11 pitchers, which means that Wasserman and/or Logan probably won't be on the team. The biggest omission from the list is Jerry Owens, who will likely be our opening day center or left fielder & leadoff man. Quentin will probably start the year on the DL, so Brian Anderson could win the 4th outfielder slot again (at least temporarily).

I hope to see Broadway or Haeger in the long reliever role.