PDA

View Full Version : Flashback of Manos at SS

A.T. Money
01-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I was scanning thru Rotoworld, and saw Valentin's name show up saying that the Mets have signed him to a minor league deal as he is coming off of an ACL injury.

And it got me thinking....remember how funny it was when he tried to bat lefty all year and LHPs would just throw him 3 hooks and he'd grab some bench? I just have this funny image of him spinning on his front foot like a top when he'd whif. Hilarious. You have to admit though....for about 4 seasons, he crushed the ball against righties, and had a pretty smooth hard stroke on the fastball. We definitely got the best performance out of him.

chisox117
01-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, snagging Jose Jose Jose Jose and Eldred from the Brewers for the low, low price of Jaime Navarro before the 2000 season may have been one of Schueler's finest moments as Sox GM.
I remember going to a ton of spring training games that year and thinking these guys could really make a difference.
:gulp:

Huisj
01-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah, snagging Jose Jose Jose Jose and Eldred from the Brewers for the low, low price of Jaime Navarro before the 2000 season may have been one of Schueler's finest moments as Sox GM.
I remember going to a ton of spring training games that year and thinking these guys could really make a difference.
:gulp:

Hey, don't forget John Snyder--the Sox also had to give the next young Greg Maddux. He posted a solid 3-10 record with an ERA over 6 for the Brewers.

Madvora
01-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Definitely one of the most entertaining Sox players I can remember.
He's kind of like Shingo. I know he sucked at one time, but I chose to remember him as completely awesome.

SoxNation05
01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Definitely one of the most entertaining Sox players I can remember.
He's kind of like Shingo. I know he sucked at one time, but I chose to remember him as completely awesome.
The walk off home run against the Cubbies was one of my favorite moments ever. My cousin went to get nachos and missed and he then started to cry.

HomeFish
01-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Some nights, I can still hear "Jose jose jose jose" echoing through the exit ramps at US Cellular Field. Shingo was the only contemporary of his that was more entertaining to watch.

A.T. Money
01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Jose had a lot of big time hits with the Sox. And he just torched the Cubs. Gotta love that.

WhiteSox5187
01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Was it Jose who blew kisses to the crowd after hitting a HR against the Cubs a la Shammy? He was a fun player to watch...those teams of Manuel had a ton of pop...and no fielding, no pitching and no baserunning...ah, those were the days!

soxinem1
01-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I sort of wish he could have been on the 2005 team somehow, as Jose really played well here. He played hard all the time, and often was one of the few highlights when the team was struggling or out of it. He never gave up, even when he was hurt.

But that batting LH all of 2004 was sad against LHP.

I always loved how you could tell when the ball left his bat if it was gone just by his reaction.

And unlike Uribe, it always was.

fquaye149
01-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Jose is a great ballplayer and a completely underrated defensive SS

A.T. Money
01-21-2008, 05:44 PM
LOL yeah, you see Uribe with the finish and it's caught 30 ft before the fence. With Jose, the ball was smoked! His right-handed hitting was brutal...but not worse than the way he looked batting left-handed full-time in 2004. That was a classic case of being overmatched. He would get three breaking balls. Good morning, good afternoon, good night. lol.

Manos!

mcfish
01-21-2008, 07:09 PM
The walk off home run against the Cubbies was one of my favorite moments ever. My cousin went to get nachos and missed and he then started to cry.How could you go to get nachos in the last inning? Missing a lead-changing homer in the 7th or 8th I could see, but who's out getting nachos in the bottom of the 9th?

ode to veeck
01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
His Sham-Me imitation at Wrigley in the cross town series has to be one of his greatest moments

FarWestChicago
01-21-2008, 08:10 PM
:mkillcub

Brian26
01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
My favorite memory of Jose Valentin was the walkoff homer against the Cubs in '03.

However, what stands out most in my mind was what happened after a Valentin homer in Oakland in early '04 (a quick check of retrosheet shows it was June 1, 2004). Valentin hit a shot in the top of the 9th with nobody on and two out to tie the game and send it into extra innings (the Sox went on to lose in 12 innings). Hawk Harrelson, in his continuing effort to attach a nickname or catch phrase to anything walking on two feet, came up with this gem for Valentin:

:hawk
"Jose Valentin....he luvs the MOMENT!"

Jose loved the moment enough to hit .124 in July, .187 in August, and .158 in September that year. :redneck :thumbsup:

SOXPHILE
01-22-2008, 10:37 AM
That's also when Hawk came up with his "THE MAESTRO OF THE 3-RUN HOMER !" call for Jose too.

That friday afternoon walk off at U.S. Cellular against the Cubs in 2003 has to be the tops.

Kilroy
01-22-2008, 10:55 AM
That's also when Hawk came up with his "THE MAESTRO OF THE 3-RUN HOMER !" call for Jose too.

That friday afternoon walk off at U.S. Cellular against the Cubs in 2003 has to be the tops.

That was probably the best moment in Jose's Sox history. What made it more dramatic was how the Sox had just given up a 2-3 run lead in the top of the 9th. We were half loaded and supremely pissed off when he connected with that pitch. Of course that anger turned to ridiculous glee, and the beers in the parking lot after that game tasted so damned good!

KenBerryGrab
01-22-2008, 11:54 AM

Except he pronounced it "meister," like in "meistersinger."

MrT27
01-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Valentin is up there with Rowand as former Sox players I don't get why people love so much. He hit some home runs but thats about the only good thing he did. He didn't hit for a good average, struck out a lot, and was a very poor fielder.

Over By There
01-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I remember being in the upper deck on the 1st base side for a game in '03, and there was a woman a few rows away, quite attractive, quite intoxicated, who was apparently a big fan of Manos. Every time he came to bat, she would scream, "work that body, Valentin!" To this day, none of us that were there can so much as hear Jose's name mentioned without thinking "work that body, Valentin."

Aside from that, I do remember how awesome the walkoff against the Cubs was.

A.T. Money
01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
When he hit that ball against Alfonseca, it was just crushed. Line shot. I was so high up in the upperdeck that you just couldn't tell because of the angle. But the crowd roar gave it away.

What a great hit.

Gavin
01-22-2008, 08:01 PM
You can try to not like Valenstache, but you will not win. He certainly could hit for power.

ksimpson14
01-23-2008, 01:09 AM
I remember that one Sunday Night Baseball game we got when he was Mic'd, it was just a horrible night, all rainy, the Sox were slumping, the team was basically dead, and I just remember Jose still trying to rally people as he ran to the dugout, it was just funny the way it sounded (half hearted 'come on guys' followed by crickets). I also remember some radio interview where he sounded like the Roadrunner.

ihatethecubs
01-24-2008, 11:55 PM
what about that broken bat game winning hit against mariano rivera and the yankees in 2000? I still see him raising his arms in the air. That's when I knew that team was gonna do something

A.T. Money
01-25-2008, 03:04 PM
That's when I knew that team was gonna do something

Yeah....just no one thought it would be 5 years later.