PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 questions for KW @ Soxfest

cws05champ
01-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Since we are only a few days away from Soxfest, I thought that maybe we can put some decent thought into some questions for the Q & A for KW. I know most of us here don't like some of the usual garbage and tee'd up sports radio questions. Here are some of my questions for KW even though I won't be able to attend:

1) How much concern do you have with the lack of experience at the # 4, 5 slots in the rotation? And is there any plans to bring a veteran on board to compete for one of those spots.
2) With the success of other teams paying over slot money in the draft and getting premium talent, do the Sox plan to do this in the future to secure the most talented prospects?
3) Why was a player like Fernando Hernandez left unprotected in the Rule 5 draft, when players such as Andy Gonzalez and Alex Cintron were still on the 40 man roster...only to be released after the Rule 5 draft?
4) What impact do you expect Alexi Rameriz to have and when do you expect him to make his debut with the Sox?
5) Who will be starting at 3B for the Sox on opening day?

Talk amongst yourselves....

veeter
01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
These are great, intelligent questions that I hope are asked. Because when I was at Soxfest before the 2006 season, Kenny was asked some of the dumbest questions, during one of his seminars, I attended.

btrain929
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Since we are only a few days away from Soxfest, I thought that maybe we can put some decent thought into some questions for the Q & A for KW. I know most of us here don't like some of the usual garbage and tee'd up sports radio questions. Here are some of my questions for KW even though I won't be able to attend:

1) How much concern do you have with the lack of experience at the # 4, 5 slots in the rotation? And is there any plans to bring a veteran on board to compete for one of those spots.
2) With the success of other teams paying over slot money in the draft and getting premium talent, do the Sox plan to do this in the future to secure the most talented prospects?
3) Why was a player like Fernando Hernandez left unprotected in the Rule 5 draft, when players such as Andy Gonzalez and Alex Cintron were still on the 40 man roster...only to be released after the Rule 5 draft?
4) What impact do you expect Alexi Rameriz to have and when do you expect him to make his debut with the Sox?

That is one for sure I want to ask. I thought that Cintron got released before the Rule 5 draft, but maybe not. I know that Gonzalez and Phillips were both non-tendered afterwards, though.

Another question I'd throw out there is:

Why did you make such a hard push for Torii Hunter at 5-75, but then refuse to do the same when a similar, younger, and smaller contract obligation like Andruw Jones was out there? And don't give me no BS about OBP, etc, because offensively they are strikingly simliar (they both usually give you around the same OBP, but with Jones providing more HRS/RBI's than Hunter, even if it comes with more K's). Jones is also the definition of durability. I would figure that with players that are so close in talent (even though I believe A.Jones is a lot better), if one is be pursued so hard, the other would be as well instead of being shot down AS SOON as the rumor reached KW's ears.

I might also ask KW about what his take is on the future of Jason Bourgeois. Will he get a look as a utility guy this year? What role does he play in the future of the White Sox? I'd like to see him become a Pablo Ozuna-like versatile player. Or best case scenario, a less powerful Brandon Phillips :).

soxwon
01-21-2008, 11:32 AM
KW now that you have made the Sox the Frontrunner for the division.
And solidified our position, as the TEAM to beat.
I ask- When will World Series tickes be printed?
Thank You Kenny williams, you are a genius.

oeo
01-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Good questions. 1 and 5 have already been answered numerous times, though.

As an addition to #2 and spending money...when are they going to start spending money on international scouting in order to get this farm system back in shape?

chisoxmike
01-21-2008, 11:41 AM

Are you employed in the Sox PR department?

santo=dorf
01-21-2008, 11:43 AM

It's amazing how much you rip on the Cubs yet you appear to be our version of Ronnie Woo-Woo. Do you show up at the games in the same unwashed preacher's outfit, and stay up in the wee hours in the morning yelling out your sermons in the Bridgeport neighborhood? :)

The Andruw-Hunter comparisons and rule 5 nonsense are the PERFECT questions to ask him.

TomBradley72
01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
What changes have been implemented (and are planned) to the White Sox player development approach that you believe will improve the organization's ability to develop "home grown" talent?

soxwon
01-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Are you employed in the Sox PR department?

no i wish i was. come on you know me, the eternal optomist.
I truely believe, what i write (most of the time).
Yes i do believe we will win the Series in 08.
I see something most fans don't, its like the little kid who see's dead people.
I see Victories and a lot of them, i mean alot of them.

soxwon
01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
It's amazing how much you rip on the Cubs yet you appear to be our version of Ronnie Woo-Woo. Do you show up at the games in the same unwashed preacher's outfit, and stay up in the wee hours in the morning yelling out your sermons in the Bridgeport neighborhood? :)

The Andruw-Hunter comparisons and rule 5 nonsense are the PERFECT questions to ask him.

im the eternal optomist, why cant you believe like i do?
i loathe nonbelievers,This team can/will win the series, if not in 08,then 09.

rdivaldi
01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Why did you make such a hard push for Torii Hunter at 5-75, but then refuse to do the same when a similar, younger, and smaller contract obligation like Andruw Jones was out there? And don't give me no BS about OBP, etc, because offensively they are strikingly simliar (they both usually give you around the same OBP, but with Jones providing more HRS/RBI's than Hunter, even if it comes with more K's).

KW now that you have made the Sox the Frontrunner for the division. And solidified our position, as the TEAM to beat. I ask- When will World Series tickes be printed? Thank You Kenny williams, you are a genius.

These are examples of questions/statements that should NOT be asked at Sox Fest. Humor aside, I hope the tone can be kept civil as to not make us all look like a bunch of douchenozzles.

santo=dorf
01-21-2008, 12:34 PM
no i wish i was. come on you know me, the eternal optomist.
I truely believe, what i write (most of the time).
Yes i do believe we will win the Series in 08.
I see something most fans don't, its like the little kid who see's dead people.
I see Victories and a lot of them, i mean alot of them.
Psst. That was a movie. LSD makes people see all sorts of crazy things. :peace:

You also said the 2007 white Sox would "easily" win the World Series. What happened?

CashMan
01-21-2008, 12:38 PM

He won't answer the 3rd base question.

Better question:

5) Uribe and Jose, why are they on the roster?

soxwon
01-21-2008, 12:43 PM

You also said the 2007 white Sox would "easily" win the World Series. What happened?

i was wrong, its possible They could have easily won it,but they didnt.
Who in their right mind criticizes someone who actually believes and is optomistic?
I know it was a movie dingdong.
Do me a favor and get the hell out of my church, i dont want to see or hear your ilk again.
When you see the light and realise there is nothing wrong with being positive, then ill forgive you.
So be on your way dark cloud-go on-dont look back,
dont turn your head, i see that look, go to the northside to whine.
bye bye.

Sockinchisox
01-21-2008, 12:48 PM
:popcorn:

johnr1note
01-21-2008, 12:51 PM

I would amend/add to question 1 to ask what he plans to do if "Plan A" for the rotation fails, as it appeared to do so last year.

I would also ask about the depth chart for LF and CF.

Another question -- who leads off? Where do we get a legitimate lead off hitter in this mix?

What changes have been implemented (and are planned) to the White Sox player development approach that you believe will improve the organization's ability to develop "home grown" talent?

i would want a LOT of detail on tombradley72's question.

btrain929
01-21-2008, 12:52 PM
These are examples of questions/statements that should NOT be asked at Sox Fest. Humor aside, I hope the tone can be kept civil as to not make us all look like a bunch of douchenozzles.

Of course not. I wouldn't use that wording, or even stand at a mic and say "dont give me no BS, KW!". That part of my question was me speaking to you guys, not to KW directly. If I asked a question, it would definitely be in a civil and respectable manner.

DumpJerry
01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
1. MGD or Lite?
2. Do you stay up late at nght lurking on WSI and laughing out loud?
3. Do you agree with It's Time's assessments of Troy Aikman and Brett Favre?
4. Will Dollar Dog Thursdays be back this year?
5. Who do you think will win the cuurent "American Idol?"

soxtalker
01-21-2008, 12:54 PM

I like question #3 -- not really to be critical of KW, but, rather, to understand his rationale.

I'll be surprised if we get any more info on #4 than KW's already revealed -- IIRC, it's that he provides a bunch of options. Actually, IIRC, the signing isn't even completely finalized, which may somewhat limit KW's answers.

Not sure you'll get any solid answers on the others, as revealing that info might signal KW's intentions in trades / draft negotiations.

btrain929
01-21-2008, 12:55 PM

My guess is the answer to this question would be all of the coaching and staff changes that have recently happened on all levels of our minor league system. That, and a nice compliment to Buddy Bell and what he brings to the table. So I guess a good question would be "Besides all the recent staffing changes, what else will be implemented?" etc.

btrain929
01-21-2008, 12:56 PM

Ahhhh, good point! :)

oeo
01-21-2008, 12:58 PM
He won't answer the 3rd base question.

Better question:

5) Uribe and Jose, why are they on the roster?

That's a better question? That's a waste of a question.

santo=dorf
01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
i was wrong, its possible They could have easily won it,but they didnt.
Who in their right mind criticizes someone who actually believes and is optomistic?
I know it was a movie dingdong.
Do me a favor and get the hell out of my church, i dont want to see or hear your ilk again.
When you see the light and realise there is nothing wrong with being positive, then ill forgive you.
So be on your way dark cloud-go on-dont look back,
dont turn your head, i see that look, go to the northside to whine.
bye bye.
Rev, I'll do some soul searching, and perhaps the 2008 White Sox will help me find myself again and the Reverand can save me, but as of now, I won't be tithing to the Church of 08.

CashMan
01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
That's a better question? That's a waste of a question.

$10mill for a #5 starter and $5mill for a backup, you are right, it is a dumb question.

Gavin
01-21-2008, 01:26 PM
1. MGD or Lite?
2. Do you stay up late at nght lurking on WSI and laughing out loud?
3. Do you agree with It's Time's assessments of Troy Aikman and Brett Favre?
4. Will Dollar Dog Thursdays be back this year?
5. Who do you think will win the cuurent "American Idol?"

POTW

Additionally, shut the **** up SoxWon.

oeo
01-21-2008, 01:31 PM
$10mill for a #5 starter and $5mill for a backup, you are right, it is a dumb question.

Alright, where were you when Contreras was signed? Was that not a steal at the time? :?:

And Uribe had to be signed at the time. God damn, how many times do we have to go through this?

I'd hate to be Kenny Williams if he has to answer some of these questions over and over (and over) again.

voodoochile
01-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Well, it depends on how you look at it. If you ,mean, "still" as in "right this moment why haven't they been traded this off season?" then the answer is in your contract numbers at least in part. What will the Sox get for Contreras right now? For Uribe? Aren't they better off hoping Contreras bounces back from his horrible year last year and then trying to move him at the deadline if they are out of the race? Isn't it better to keep Uribe in case Richar falters as a back up plan? If nothing else, he is a super sub who might be a throw in with Crede to a team thinking of upgrading the left side of their IF and figuring $10M is a fair price for the two of them together.

If you mean, why were they re-signed in the first place, then the answer is even simpler. Contreras was signed because he had a monster year the year before and KW decided to lock him up long term. At the time it looked like a great decision. Uribe was re-signed for a very reasonable contract because the Sox had NO ONE else who could play SS on the roster. Cabrera came along a few days later and while it would be better to have the money, one can't really fault the signing at the time it took place. If nothing else, it's only money that has been lost.

So the answer in both case is pretty obvious and yeah, that makes the question less than stellar, IMO.

CashMan
01-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Alright, where were you when Contreras was signed? Was that not a steal at the time? :?:

And Uribe had to be signed at the time. God damn, how many times do we have to go through this?

I'd hate to be Kenny Williams if he has to answer some of these questions over and over (and over) again.

Well, at the time, he was a steal, but I was against giving him a 3yr deal. I don't think Uribe HAD to be resigned, I wanted Eckstein.

CashMan
01-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Well, it depends on how you look at it. If you ,mean, "still" as in "right this moment why haven't they been traded this off season?" then the answer is in your contract numbers at least in part. What will the Sox get for Contreras right now? For Uribe? Aren't they better off hoping Contreras bounces back from his horrible year last year and then trying to move him at the deadline if they are out of the race? Isn't it better to keep Uribe in case Richar falters as a back up plan? If nothing else, he is a super sub who might be a throw in with Crede to a team thinking of upgrading the left side of their IF and figuring $10M is a fair price for the two of them together.

If you mean, why were they re-signed in the first place, then the answer is even simpler. Contreras was signed because he had a monster year the year before and KW decided to lock him up long term. At the time it looked like a great decision. Uribe was re-signed for a very reasonable contract because the Sox had NO ONE else who could play SS on the roster. Cabrera came along a few days later and while it would be better to have the money, one can't really fault the signing at the time it took place. If nothing else, it's only money that has been lost.

So the answer in both case is pretty obvious and yeah, that makes the question less than stellar, IMO.

I know what you are saying, but I think he could of went about it a little differently. I mean he got rid of Jon Garland because of the contract thing, yet they acquire someone with the same problem.

btrain929
01-21-2008, 01:51 PM

You're right. If the season started tomorrow, our depth chart would be:

Buehrle
Vazquez
Danks
Floyd
Contreras

:rolleyes:

oeo
01-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, at the time, he was a steal, but I was against giving him a 3yr deal.

That's a question that should have been asked two years ago, then. You're going to ask him two years later why he signed him to a 3-year extension? :?:

It happened, I'm not going to sit here and whine about something that happened two years ago. If you asked him today why Contreras is still on the team, it's a dumb question. He's on the team because he just finished a terrible 2007, and is owed a lot of money over the next two years.

The only thing we can hope for, is that he comes in healthy and has a monster first half so we can actually get his contract off our hands (and maybe even get something worth value).

I don't think Uribe HAD to be resigned, I wanted Eckstein.We'd be better off with the fatboy...

And Uribe is still good insurance if we have injury problems, or Richar doesn't work out. People will complain about his $4.5 million price tag, but it's only for one year, so stop whining.

Gavin
01-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I'd only have one question and that's:

Uribe? Really? But why?

SoxNation05
01-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I definetly think if they trade Uribe it will have something to do with the performance of Jason Bourgeis.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-21-2008, 03:13 PM

Well, he was right on the Sox part, just got the color wrong.

Flight #24
01-21-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd ask the following:

- What changes are being made to address the weakness of the farm? Changes in draft philosophy? Changes in attitudes towards signing bonuses? Since KW has a big chunk of his FA budget unspent, will that be directed to the farm via increased bonus $, beefed up scouting and development, etc? If not, why not?

- It's been 7 years of KW being in charge, and the Sox farm still cannot generate players who can execute simple fundamentals. What are they changing specifically in their development processes? Why have they neglected these in the past (beyond paying lip service to them).

- What improvements or additions have they made to the scouting department to improve their ability to mine latin america and asia? If minimal, why?

And even though I know all that will be returned from these are platitudes and condescension:
- Why does KW keep talking about "can't spend a dollar when you have $.50" when JR authorized a payroll increase of anywhere from ~$15-20M? (Based on KW's plan being to sign Hunter+Linebrink & trade for Cabrera+Cabrera.).

- How does KW plan to use free agency if he can't or won't pay market rates? Is he still waiting for the mythical market correction to appear?

spiffie
01-21-2008, 03:47 PM
That's a question that should have been asked two years ago, then. You're going to ask him two years later why he signed him to a 3-year extension? :?:

It happened, I'm not going to sit here and whine about something that happened two years ago. If you asked him today why Contreras is still on the team, it's a dumb question. He's on the team because he just finished a terrible 2007, and is owed a lot of money over the next two years.

The only thing we can hope for, is that he comes in healthy and has a monster first half so we can actually get his contract off our hands (and maybe even get something worth value).

We'd be better off with the fatboy...

And Uribe is still good insurance if we have injury problems, or Richar doesn't work out. People will complain about his $4.5 million price tag, but it's only for one year, so stop whining.
If Jose comes in and has a monster first half why the heck would we want to trade him?

ksimpson14
01-22-2008, 04:31 AM

Great thread idea, and great question on #3, hope it is asked, and hope someone reports back with an answer

I'm not a Williams hater, but I think someone should call him on that embarrassing quote of the Tigers making their deals to try and get on par with us (or however he worded it, with them trying to compete with us, or getting up to our level)

ksimpson14
01-22-2008, 04:33 AM
You're right. If the season started tomorrow, our depth chart would be:

Buehrle
Vazquez
Danks
Floyd
Contreras

:rolleyes:

Well obviously he meant in general, and not in our specific situation, but at the same time it kind of says a lot about our rotation (esp the back end) right now

ksimpson14
01-22-2008, 04:37 AM

Well, when you judge the question, you have to take into account the expected answer, just like how pointless the 'who will start at 3B' question would be. You probably know the standard response and in this case, you know you won't get "you're right fan, having these guys on the roster was a dumb thing to do"

nccwsfan
01-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Great thread idea, and great question on #3, hope it is asked, and hope someone reports back with an answer

I'm not a Williams hater, but I think someone should call him on that embarrassing quote of the Tigers making their deals to try and get on par with us (or however he worded it, with them trying to compete with us, or getting up to our level)

GMAB- have you ever watched the interview where he made the quote? Have you seen a video clip of the quote? If so you would probably have a different analysis of that quote- it was tongue in cheek at worst and optimistic at best.

If someone is going to ask a question like that at a public convention it might be a good idea to know the facts first. Seriously, :rolleyes:.

soxrme
01-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Why would you not make a huge offer to Joe Crede? Aren't you tired of giving up allstars for money?

Sad
01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I would amend/add to question 1 to ask what he plans to do if "Plan A" for the rotation fails, as it appeared to do so last year.

that's what I'm thinking... we have a #1, #2, #3...

... and two #6 starters...
:(:

cws05champ
01-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Why would you not make a huge offer to Joe Crede? Aren't you tired of giving up allstars for money?

Because he is coming off major back surgery and has only had one really good offensive season. His has been money in the field but inconsistent at the plate. Plus Boras always takes his clients to free agency...I don't think this will be any different.

Gammons Peter
01-28-2008, 09:15 AM

was this addressed?

soxfanreggie
01-29-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm with Gammons, this was probably the top question I wanted an answer to because it was something I figured he would answer now that all 3 are gone.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm with Gammons, this was probably the top question I wanted an answer to because it was something I figured he would answer now that all 3 are gone.

First off, it's good to be back. I was out for a week for conduct detrimental to the site because of that Sleazehack chick :).
Anyways, I was in line on Saturday to ask 2 questions: 1) about Fernando Hernandez, and 2) about Torii Hunter/Andruw Jones.

When I was about 4 people away, another man asked about the Hernandez situation (I don't know any of you guys by face, so it very well could have been someone from here). KW very dismissedly (sp?) said his minor league scouts gave him a list of people that should be protected on the 40 man, and people that shouldn't, plain and simple.

So when I got up there, I clarified the previous man's question a bit, adding that the reason we were curious about the move was because a few weeks later, 2-3 people were non-tendered, which opened up spots on the 40 man. If these moves were anticipated, why not keep Hernandez?

I then went into the Hunter/Jones comparison to figure out why a bigger push wasn't made towards Andruw, and that started a little comical quarrel between KW and Ozzie (Ozzie was defending Andruw, saying he was the better defensive CF. This exchange was recapped in an article on whitesox.com reviewing Saturday's Soxfest, so it made me feel good because I was the one who started it!).

So overall, KW made it sound not too important. His scouts said he wasn't worthy of a spot on the 40 man, and to not worry about protecting him. Ahhh well, we'll see what he does this year in OAK.

A. Cavatica
01-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Perhaps you should have asked how much a player's choice of agent has to do with the Sox' interest in him.

Jones had two things going against him: declining numbers, and Boras. KW will sometimes gamble on declining numbers, but the Sox will not deal with Boras, plain and simple.

oeo
01-29-2008, 06:12 PM
GMAB- have you ever watched the interview where he made the quote? Have you seen a video clip of the quote? If so you would probably have a different analysis of that quote- it was tongue in cheek at worst and optimistic at best.

If someone is going to ask a question like that at a public convention it might be a good idea to know the facts first. Seriously, :rolleyes:.

I haven't seen the video, but Scott Reifert posted on his blog that it was complete sarcasm.

It is the jack of all jokes at a Tigers board...their big heads are getting in their way.

btrain929
01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Perhaps you should have asked how much a player's choice of agent has to do with the Sox' interest in him.

Jones had two things going against him: declining numbers, and Boras. KW will sometimes gamble on declining numbers, but the Sox will not deal with Boras, plain and simple.

In this case, though, he only had 1 season of declining numbers, and that happened in his contract year. Boras didn't have any wiggle room to try and get a 5 yr contract for Andruw. I'd much rather have Jones at 2/36 than Hunter at 5/75. I agree, in KW's mind, it came down to Boras, but in this scenario, it shouldn't have.

Either way, I'm happy with Swisher.