PDA

View Full Version : Random 2005 moment: Part 1

santo=dorf
01-20-2008, 04:05 PM
To pass the time I've been looking through the archives and I came across this great gem after Willie Harris was sent down.
Quote of the Week material:

"But you never know," said Harris, who was hitting .217 in 92 at-bats. "Something can happen. One thing I can say is that this isn't the last of me just because I'm going to Triple A.

"Somebody has to go. I'll get work in. This definitely is not the last of Willie Harris."

Good luck Willie. :smile:

http://www.prosportsmemorabilia.com/Images/Product/33-59/33-59326-B.jpghttp://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051026/051026_soxwin_hmed_9p.h2.jpghttp://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/10/27/PH2005102700106.jpg

He was right.:cool:

cards press box
01-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Game 4 of the '05 Series was, as Larry David might say, pretty, pretty good. I was just watching a videotape of the Sox defeating Detroit 4-2 in game 159 to clinch the 2005 A.L. Central crown. If anyone recalls, Harris played an excellent game that day, too. Boy, those were really good times. I still wish I had followed my hunch and driven to Detroit that Thursday to see the Sox clinch in person.

By the way, I like the off-season moves this year. The Sox look a lot more balanced this year. And best of all, I don't think the Sox are done making moves. Here's hoping that 2008 provides as much excitement as 2005 did.

The Milkman
01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
AJ's walk-off against the Dodgers in June.

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050618/050618_whiteSox_vmed_8p.widec.jpg

skobabe8
01-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Game 4 of the '05 Series was, as Larry David might say, pretty, pretty good. I was just watching a videotape of the Sox defeating Detroit 4-2 in game 159 to clinch the 2005 A.L. Central crown. If anyone recalls, Harris played an excellent game that day, too. Boy, those were really good times. I still wish I had followed my hunch and driven to Detroit that Thursday to see the Sox clinch in person.

By the way, I like the off-season moves this year. The Sox look a lot more balanced this year. And best of all, I don't think the Sox are done making moves. Here's hoping that 2008 provides as much excitement as 2005 did.

I followed mine! :D:

01-24-2008, 10:33 AM
May 31, 2005 LAAA @ Chicago - After White Sox starter Mark Buehrle lost a lead by allowing a pair of runs in the top of the ninth inning, Timo Perez delivered a two-run single in the bottom half to win the game.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/timo.jpg

It was only the end of May but something about that team started making me feel like no matter what they couldn't lose.

SOXSINCE'70
01-24-2008, 10:36 AM
AJ's walk-off against the Dodgers in June.

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050618/050618_whiteSox_vmed_8p.widec.jpg

I was there.It still gives me chills.
My friend I was with told me after the game,
"the Sox will win the World Series this year".
If you remember,the Sox entered that inning being 1 hit,
trailing 3-1.They scored 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th
to win the game.

Other highlights from the 2005 season:

-Aaron Rowand's 3 run homer off Trevor Hoffman to beat the Padres.
- AJ's 3 run homer in Baltimore to give the Sox a lead.
- Jermaine Dye's first homer as a member of the Sox against the Tribe
(it tied the game,which the Sox later won on a sac fly by Uribe).
- The Sox scoring 2 runs on no hits to beat the Royals 2-1
(they scored the runs on bases loaded walks).

I look forward to seeing more of these moments in 2008.:cool:

01-24-2008, 10:38 AM
I attended 6 games in 2005.

1 in San Diego
3 in Oakland
2 in Chicago

My record for the year was 0-6. :smile: I almost drove down to Anaheim (was living in SF at the time) to watch the clinching game but hesitated.

01-24-2008, 10:46 AM
September 30 , 2005 -
But the devilish mal ojo Guillen tossed the Indians way was serious biz indeed!
Guillen was “playing around with fans” when he wrapped his hands around his neck during a pitching change in the sixth inning.
“We joked almost all the game,” he said Tuesday before the opener of Chicago’s first-round playoff series against Boston. “And all of a sudden the mascot does the sign, and all of a sudden I put my hands like that. And all of a sudden everybody in the nation thought I was telling the fans to choke. I respect this game and respect the Cleveland Indians.”

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/10.2_Ozzie_choke_BDD.jpg

sox1970
01-24-2008, 10:48 AM
^

Must have been a leap year. 31 days in September.

01-24-2008, 10:51 AM
^

Must have been a leap year. 31 days in September.

Ha! Well I just took that directly from Google. :D:

RowanDye
01-24-2008, 12:01 PM
April 16th, 2005 Mariners @ White Sox

On April 16 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_16), 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005), he finished a game against the Seattle Mariners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Mariners) in only 1 hour and 39 minutes, giving up only 1 run and 3 hits (all to Ichiro Suzuki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichiro_Suzuki)), and backed by only two White Sox hits, both homers by Paul Konerko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Konerko). In the game, he threw just 106 pitches. Subtracting the time spent between innings, the game took only 63Ĺ minutes to play.

I dragged my Cubbie friend to this game. IIRC I had some of those teachers vouchers from Gene(?).

Good thing I drank a beer in the parking lot, because we only got 1 beer in at the game!

My friend was obnoxious as usual, decked out in Cubs gear, but now I always hold it over his head that "at least he got to witness a championship team once in his life".

twentywontowin
01-24-2008, 12:11 PM
The great thing about the 2005 team is that any of the guys could step up at any time, and be the hero.

AJ walking off in June.
Iguchi in ALDS Game 2.
Blum in WS Game 3.
Pablo stealing second in ALCS Game 2 (totally overlooked).
Pods in WS Game 2.

And you can still build on that list. What a magical year.

soxfan13
01-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Sitting five rows behind first base(with ILuvThatDuck) watching Konerko catch the final out of the World Series!!!!!:cool:

JohnTucker0814
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
I remember when we swept the Cardinals at home... one of those games Anthony Reyes threw a 1-hitter at us... a solo HR, we win 1-0!

I watched the DVD of the World Series last week... what an awesome year!

I'm happy that I got to go to game 2 of the ALCS... dropped 3rd strike... I remember not knowing what the heck was going on...

We also got to go to Game 1 of the World Series... What an awesome 8th inning of Cotts and Jenks striking out the side. I remember looking at the radar after every pitch of Jenks to Bagwell to see if he was going to hit 100MPH...

SoxSpeed22
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
May 5th against Kansas City when we scored 2 runs off of walks in the 8th and won the game because of that. It was that kind of year.

SoxSpeed22
01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
I remember when we swept the Cardinals at home... one of those games Anthony Reyes threw a 1-hitter at us... a solo HR, we win 1-0!That happened in 2006, or as I dubbed it, 'Freddy's Revenge.' Because that same thing happened to him the year before.

Flight #24
01-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Nothing beats El Duque's "Hocus Pocus" performance against Boston. Or Buehrle strolling in from the bullpen in the 13th in Houston.

Zisk77
01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I remember when we swept the Cardinals at home... one of those games Anthony Reyes threw a 1-hitter at us... a solo HR, we win 1-0!

I'm happy that I got to go to game 2 of the ALCS... dropped 3rd strike... I remember not knowing what the heck was going on...

We also got to go to Game 1 of the World Series... What an awesome 8th inning of Cotts and Jenks striking out the side. I remember looking at the radar after every pitch of Jenks to Bagwell to see if he was going to hit 100MPH...

This was a found memory for me as well as I live in the confines of Cardinal nation. However, this and the rest of the sweep occurred in 2006. We played the Nl West and the scrubs in 2005.

veeter
01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I'll take opening day 2005. It just seemed to get everything rolling.

twentywontowin
01-24-2008, 04:12 PM

My favorite memory from that game was walking back to the car in the C lot, and I remember overhearing a guy say "Hey, at least we're in first place!"

If only he knew that we'd never fall out of it. But for some reason, that guy saying that is burned into my head forever.

D. TODD
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Taking that same drive I have hundreds of times either with my father as a kid, or later with friends or myself to the Sox games, but this time while holding a ticket for game 2 of the World Series. It was a surreal trip to the ole' ballpark that's for sure.

Then to have Paulie hit a grand slam & Pods go yard for a walkoff victory! That will be a day I never forget! :D:

Regular season:
1. Crede going yard to beat the Tribe in extra innings and reestablish the Sox supremacy down the stretch.

whitem0nkey
01-24-2008, 04:20 PM
I love on that sox DVD when they were showing Blum in BP before the game.
and he said something like "watch out Iím hitting dingers" and they laughed at him

KenBerryGrab
01-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Regular season:
1. Crede going yard to beat the Tribe in extra innings and reestablish the Sox supremacy down the stretch.

"JOE! CREDE!"

Sox83Kid
01-24-2008, 04:23 PM

I'll second that. I remember cracking up in one of the parking lots when I saw guys dressed up as Sox players standing on a flatbed truck, holding a trophy and chanting, "World Series champs!" How prescient was that? :D:

JGarlandrules20
01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/chisoxgirl/Games/gr.jpg

Buehrle getting thrown out of the game in Baltimore for defending his teammates and ruining his 6+ inning streak...

I can't recall if they won that game, but it was those kind of moments that really made the team special. :smile:

JohnTucker0814
01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
This was a found memory for me as well as I live in the confines of Cardinal nation. However, this and the rest of the sweep occurred in 2006. We played the Nl West and the scrubs in 2005.

Oops... I thought I suppressed every memory from '06 & '07... haha

Palehose Pete
01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Nothing beats El Duque's "Hocus Pocus" performance against Boston. Or Buehrle strolling in from the bullpen in the 13th in Houston.

I was Vegas with some buddies at Caesar's Palace sports book watching the ALDS Game 3. We were surrounded by Boston fans. That 6th inning El Duque threw lasted 1 hour, I think. When the Sox won it, all of the Sox fans at Caesar's, total strangers until that day, were jumping up and down, screaming our heads off, high-fiving and buying each other drinks.

turners56
01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Crede's homer against the Tribe, boy was that huge. I was never more excited that year (I wanted to scream with Hawk)...the world series win didn't come to me immediately.

asindc
01-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Regular season:

I'm surprised it took so long to mention this in this thread. Definitely the highlight of the regular season for me. I'll second another poster:

JOE! CREDE!

santo=dorf
01-24-2008, 05:22 PM

That happened in 2006, or as I dubbed it, 'Freddy's Revenge.' Because that same thing happened to him the year before.

http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/products/1/79231-large.jpg for the hijack.
:)

doublem23
01-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Opening Day. Sox vs. Tribe, Buehrle vs. CC. 1-0 winner.

santo=dorf
01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Opening Day. Sox vs. Tribe, Buehrle vs. CC. 1-0 winner.
http://www.zippoc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

eastchicagosoxfan
01-24-2008, 07:10 PM
The second game of the season against the Tribe. The were down 3-0 going into the ninth. Konerko and Dye go back-back, and a sac. fly wins it for the Sox 4-3.

SoxSpeed22
01-24-2008, 08:17 PM
It was Westbrook to answer Santo=dorf's post.

TheOldRoman
01-24-2008, 09:29 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/chisoxgirl/Games/gr.jpg

Buehrle getting thrown out of the game in Baltimore for defending his teammates and ruining his 6+ inning streak...

I can't recall if they won that game, but it was those kind of moments that really made the team special. :smile:That was a great moment, but a lot of people are wrong in thinking that got the team rolling. Actually, that was on August 1, and August was the rough spot for the Sox in 05.

hi im skot
01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
May 31, 2005 LAAA @ Chicago -

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/timo.jpg

It was only the end of May but something about that team started making me feel like no matter what they couldn't lose.

I was at that game...Big Frank's first game back.

One of my all-time favorite Sox games.

hi im skot
01-24-2008, 11:00 PM
April 16th, 2005 Mariners @ White Sox

I dragged my Cubbie friend to this game. IIRC I had some of those teachers vouchers from Gene(?).

Good thing I drank a beer in the parking lot, because we only got 1 beer in at the game!

My friend was obnoxious as usual, decked out in Cubs gear, but now I always hold it over his head that "at least he got to witness a championship team once in his life".

Another one of my favorite in-person favorites.

Man, 2005 had a lot of those...

thomas35forever
01-25-2008, 12:05 AM
A.J.'s walkoff. That's all you need to know.

fusillirob1983
01-26-2008, 02:38 PM
A.J.'s walkoff. That's all you need to know.

Two games people just mentioned...
I almost went to that Memorial Day game (Franks first game back) but couldn't convince my brother to go. Obviously I watched at home then, and couple minutes before the winning hit someone said dinner was ready and I refused to move from the couch, definitely well worth it.

The AJ game was cool too. I actually fell asleep during the 7th and 8th. I woke during the bottom of the ninth with the first runner on base. I was freaking out after the game, not because of AJ's walkoff, but because of the fact that I almost missed it!

santo=dorf
01-26-2008, 06:52 PM
That sweep in Colorado was pretty awesome. The Sox score 10 runs in the final two innings and Frank hit a huge pinch hit home run (go to top play, and listen to the reaction.) Freddy was also perfect for 7.1 innings after giving up a 3 run homer in the first in another game.

http://www.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20050609&content_id=1082582&vkey=wrapup2004&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

turners56
01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
That sweep in Colorado was pretty awesome. The Sox score 10 runs in the final two innings and Frank hit a huge pinch hit home run (go to top play, and listen to the reaction.) Freddy was also perfect for 7.1 innings after giving up a 3 run homer in the first in another game.

http://www.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20050609&content_id=1082582&vkey=wrapup2004&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I remember listening to that game in the car, when Freddy got hammered in the first, I just went, "Great...." Turned out it was great.

Soxman219
01-29-2008, 06:44 PM
I Have two.

White Sox vs. Cubs May 22, 2005
Konerko hits a single that brings in Pods and Iguchi in the 8th. I was ripping on my cubbie friends after that game.

2005 ALDS White Sox vs. Red Sox October 7, 2005
I will never forget El Duque getting three outs on the Red Sox after the bases were loaded. After that, I was sure that the W. Sox were destined to win the WS.

Rooney: "HOCUS POCUS SAYS HERNANDEZ!!"

ksimpson14
01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
The Joe Crede (!) game was awesome, I was at that, had some free vouchers from like Arlington Park or something, and payed to upgrade and basically got behind the plate (not scout seats but further above). Not a full house (not empty, but a atmosphere I liked better than a full house), and a little depressing mood in the stadium going into the game, with our 'please don't choke' hopes, and it was just a roller coaster game (Rowand misplays key ball, Uribe great defense, etc).

I think my dad may have predicted that HR, I had a feeling, 2nd time for me with a Crede walkoff win (another great game from previous year, off David Riske in a game Pedro Martinez started. Pedro vs Frank had an epic AB/matchup)

ksimpson14
01-29-2008, 10:21 PM
A lot of great 05 reg season moments:
-First game vs Cubs - Freddy retaliating after Maddux hits one of our players (one of my fav Freddy characteristics)
-Rowand walkoff in SD
-@ Cleveland 4 game sweep out of all star break (following being swept by Oakland before, causing Eric Byrnes to think we weren't that good, said that while covering the postseason for ESPN)
-It wasn't good but I remember that Boston game, first time I got HD, but was also in a summer class with a prof from Boston. That first game was the one where the foul ball is dropped, then Manny hits a HR, Schilling out of the pen
-Sweep @ Baltimore including shocking announcement of Palmeiro suspension
- Yankee series where Rowand becomes a legend
- McCarthy win @ Boston (makeup game)
-Might've been in somewhere in between or a different year, but Ozzie swearing at Buck Showalter getting caught on the mic always makes me laugh
- Clinch @ Det
- White Sox B team sweeps @ Cleveland (who defined choke. I remember that Sizemore drop in that KC game as well. Funny to look back, media was saying how screwed we were since Cle had us head on at the end of the year)

cub killer
02-10-2008, 12:13 AM
I was at Cork & Kerry's on Western for game 3 of the ALDS @ Bos. It was so packed, there was barely room to stand and the place just rocked when the Duke got us outta that bases loaded jam. It was awesome

goon
02-10-2008, 12:28 AM
How about Anderson's 2 HR game in Seattle against the M's off King Felix? Hernandez was untouchable that day and somehow Anderson, who was 2 for 13 up to that point, lights up the rookie phenom tying the game which went to extra innings. Sox win 5-3

Mercy.

BadBobbyJenks
02-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Kevingrt where were you when the sox won it?

I will never forget that October down in Mizzou. I was at my buddy's apartment watching Game 4 with about 5 sox fans, then heading over to Harpos, pleading with the bouncer to let me in to celebrate even though I was only 20 and then singing Sweet Home Chicago with a bar full of Sox Fans in Columbia Missouri. Ill never forget that night.

veeter
02-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I'll take opening day 2005. It just seemed to get everything rolling.I'm changing this to, Herm Schneider fixing Mark Buehrle's foot right before the season started. Everyone thought it was broken. The next day he was fine, unbelieveable.

Mohoney
02-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Nothing beats El Duque's "Hocus Pocus" performance against Boston.

No doubt about it. Overlooked in it is the fact that he pitched a scoreless 7th and 8th, too.

BadBobbyJenks
02-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm changing this to, Herm Schneider fixing Mark Buehrle's foot right before the season started. Everyone thought it was broken. The next day he was fine, unbelieveable.

That was unbelieveable. A couple of months to no missed time at all overnight. The first domino of things that would fall perfectly in place all season.

C-Dawg
02-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I consider myself fortunate to have attended a bunch of those notable games listed already:

MB's quick game against Seattle
Memorial Day victory over the Angels
AJ's walkoff

I attended one game in Minnesota in April (the day after the Twin's home opener) and despite the Twins scoring about 5 runs against Jon Garland the Sox prevailed and scored 8 in the latter half of the game. I thought "Wow, I hope we see this all season long!"

Another fun one was the September 1 series opener against the Tigers; the Sox beat them up with about 4 or 5 homers including one by Willie Harris. The message was heard loud and clear "August is OVER!!". Already Cleveland was gaining rapidly.

I went to the series in Cleveland in October; that was a fun one too and Cleveland was playing with everything they had, considering they still had a shot at the wild card. Still the Sox managed to sweep even by playing most of their bench!

How about this one? Remember the "UPS Presents the First Pitch" ball delivery? A friend of mine is a bigshot at UPS, and somehow he got the honors of being the official UPS guy to deliver the First Pitch ball to Mark Buehrle.... on Opening Day! It'd be cool enough to do it for ANY game, but for opening day on the actual year they won it all had to be extra special.