PDA

View Full Version : Tulo agrees to 6 yr deal w/Rox

Sockinchisox
01-20-2008, 01:58 PM
6 years, 30 mil.

He becomes the highest paid player with under 2 years of service time.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8022077

Lip Man 1
01-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Why that's nuts! They OVERPAID!

(Sorry I can't seem to find TEAL anymore on the color palette. Blues, Grays and Purples are now all on the right side for some reason)

:rolleyes:

Lip

santo=dorf
01-20-2008, 02:21 PM
:tealtutor:

nccwsfan
01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
That should turn out to be a great deal for the Rockies, especially towards the back end of that contract.

Lip Man 1
01-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Dorf:

Thanks.

Lip

jabrch
01-20-2008, 11:30 PM
That should turn out to be a great deal for the Rockies, especially towards the back end of that contract.

Pretty smart on Tulowitzky's side also. Take enough money to know you are set for life, and go ahead and play ball to try and posture yourself for the big contract. I'm sure with that sort of stability, he's got added marketability in the Denver area as well.

PalehosePlanet
01-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Pretty smart on Tulowitzky's side also. Take enough money to know you are set for life, and go ahead and play ball to try and posture yourself for the big contract. I'm sure with that sort of stability, he's got added marketability in the Denver area as well.

This was smart, but it still puzzles me why/how they couldn't work out a deal for a third, or even a fourth year with Matt Holiday (2/23.5.) He still becomes an FA after what would have been his arbitration eligible years.

I can't recall ever seeing a team do this. Odd...

jabrch
01-20-2008, 11:43 PM
This was smart, but it still puzzles me why/how they couldn't work out a deal for a third, or even a fourth year with Matt Holiday (2/23.5.) He still becomes an FA after what would have been his arbitration eligible years.

I can't recall ever seeing a team do this. Odd...

I think the difference is Holliday is pretty close to the end already, and will make 10-12mm for each of the next two, so he has less incentive.

I also believe Holliday already knows where he is going to play next - and it isn't Colorado. Not sure if it is to replace the old Yanks corner OFs of the aging Red Sox corners - but someone is going to give him big piles of money - so since he just locked down 20mm+ from Colorado, why give up a year?

PalehosePlanet
01-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I think the difference is Holliday is pretty close to the end already, and will make 10-12mm for each of the next two, so he has less incentive.

I also believe Holliday already knows where he is going to play next - and it isn't Colorado. Not sure if it is to replace the old Yanks corner OFs of the aging Red Sox corners - but someone is going to give him big piles of money - so since he just locked down 20mm+ from Colorado, why give up a year?

If what you say is true, and he's already dead set on leaving, then they'll probably shop him hard next winter before he walks the following year.

If he has another great year in '08 he'll bring in a nice haul for them.

TheOldRoman
01-21-2008, 12:10 AM
I am eagerly awaiting the people saying "ZOMG! Kenny is so stupid! He is paying Juan Uribe $5mil a year when that is what Tulo makes!"

I am a little surprised he would sign for six years (I could see signing through arbitration, but this is two extra years). Even through his arbitration years, he would figure to make at least $10 mil a year. Then again, there are no sure things. Great deal for the Rockies.

Domeshot17
01-21-2008, 12:26 AM
I am eagerly awaiting the people saying "ZOMG! Kenny is so stupid! He is paying Juan Uribe $5mil a year when that is what Tulo makes!"

I am a little surprised he would sign for six years (I could see signing through arbitration, but this is two extra years). Even through his arbitration years, he would figure to make at least $10 mil a year. Then again, there are no sure things. Great deal for the Rockies.

I like him a lot, but who is to say he isn't the next Mike Caruso. This is a great move for him. All it takes is one fastball off the face, a torn acl sliding into 2nd etc. before those 10 million dollar years become 750k as a backup.

While I dont always agree with this statment, it fits here. A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush, and this bird in hand is worth 30 mil.

palehozenychicty
01-21-2008, 01:32 AM
I like him a lot, but who is to say he isn't the next Mike Caruso. This is a great move for him. All it takes is one fastball off the face, a torn acl sliding into 2nd etc. before those 10 million dollar years become 750k as a backup.

While I dont always agree with this statment, it fits here. A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush, and this bird in hand is worth 30 mil.

Caruso didn't have anything close to Tulo's gifts or makeup on the field. Barring injury, he should be a perennial All-Star for years to come.

DumpJerry
01-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Mark Fidrych.

chaerulez
01-21-2008, 09:47 AM

Tulo has more HRs and BBs in this past season than Caruso had in his entire career. And you could use the injury excuse to anyone, A-Rod can easily get injured like that too. I'm confused how Caruso was able to be a regular for two straight years? Did people think he had potential because he had a .306 average and 20+ steals? Despite the fact he had barely any walks, HRs, and a ton of errors?

jabrch
01-21-2008, 10:45 AM
If what you say is true, and he's already dead set on leaving, then they'll probably shop him hard next winter before he walks the following year.

If he has another great year in '08 he'll bring in a nice haul for them.

That would make sense.

EndemicSox
01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Take a look at Tulo's swing, it's about as perfect as one can hope for, imo, this will be a bargain for Colorado within a year...assuming he doesn't go blind, or something like that...

Jjav829
01-21-2008, 09:06 PM
It's a good deal for both sides. The Rockies lock up one of the good, young shortstops in the game for an extra year and won't have to worry about arbitration in the future. Tulo is now set for life financially and will have an opportunity for a huge deal after this one runs out. It's a win-win deal.

TheVulture
01-23-2008, 01:45 PM
And you could use the injury excuse to anyone, A-Rod can easily get injured like that too.

I think the point was that it was smart for Tulowski to sign the extended deal, even though he could conceivably make much after a couple years. On the other hand, he could make much less if things go awry- hence the 'bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush.'