PDA

View Full Version : 1991 White Sox Yearbook

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:14 PM
So its a cold night, we're staying in with the baby, baking cookies and watching the Bulls game.

I pulled the '91 Sox Yearbook off the shelf to kill some time.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/White%20Sox%20Stuff/DSCN1416.jpg

This thing is comedy gold. The player profiles are hilarious, but also really interesting to look at in terms of foreshadowing.

I'll list some of the better ones:

Tim "Rock" Raines:
Favorite Movie: Vision Quest or One-on-One
Idol: Joe Morgan
Best Friend: Andre Dawson
Hobby: Remote Control Airplanes
One Thing I'd Like To Accomplish in My Career: Winning the World Series (check) and going to the Hall of Fame (not yet).

Scott Fletcher:
Biggest Surprise: My 30th birthday. My wife had a surprise party with a singer and a monkey that did a striptease.
First Car: 76 Buick Regal

Frank Thomas:
Idol: Bo Jackson
One Thing I'd Like TO Accomplish In My Career: To Make An All-Star Team (wow, low expectations for Big Hurt in '91)

Carlton Fisk:
Favorite Movie: Dances with Wolves
Hobby: Growing Orchids
Favorite Artist: Reba McIntyre

More to come...

ilsox7
01-19-2008, 09:15 PM
What kind of cookies?

salty99
01-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Fletcher's is hilarious.

My wife and I made peanut butter blossoms today.

sox1970
01-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Frank Thomas:
One Thing I'd Like TO Accomplish In My Career: To Make An All-Star Team (wow, low expectations for Big Hurt in '91)

Figures it's something individual.

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Robin Ventura:
Favorite Movie: Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Hobby: Golf and Listening to Jack McDowell's music
One Thing I'd Like To Accomplish In My Career: To win a Gold Glove (check)

Sosa:
Favorite Movie: Colors
Favorite Vacation: Dominican Republic (didn't the idiot live there?)
Favorite Artist: Ice-T :rolleyes:

Thigpen:
Favorite Vacation: Hunting with Greg Walker in Georgia
Would Like To Accomplish (Playing in the Big Leagues for 10 years) - (thank Torborg for the blown out arm...I think he got about 7 years in '86- '93)

Donn Pall:
Favorite Thing about New Comiskey: No obstructing poles (not anymore Pope).

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:25 PM
What kind of cookies?

Chocolate Chips. Also have some chocolate cupcakes.

salty99
01-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Who is this Don Paul u speak ofl?

ilsox7
01-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Chocolate Chips. Also have some chocolate cupcakes.

Yum.

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:30 PM
One Dog:
Hobby: Shooting my semi-automatic rifles. :o:

sox1970
01-19-2008, 09:32 PM
fixed :rolleyes:

Not quite.

RadioheadRocks
01-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Who is this Don Paul u speak ofl?

"Donn Pall does it All!!!" :D:

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:36 PM
McDowell:
Favorite Idol: Billy

Fernandez:
Idol: Bruce Willis
Food: Tortellini with sundried tomatoes (Alex liked his food)
Best Friend: Fabto Tejero and Pablo Caneja :?:

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Pasqua:
Hobby: Bowling :rolling: That is too good.

RadioheadRocks
01-19-2008, 09:40 PM
McDowell:

:rolling:

ilsox7
01-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Pasqua:
Hobby: Bowling :rolling: That is too good.

Bowling balls aren't the only things he liked to roll.

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Ken Patterson:
Favorite Aspect of New Comiskey: The New Skybox Girls
Favorite Childhood Memory: Cow Tipping
Biggest Surprise: Finding Out My Step-Mom was an alien

Melido Perez:
Pets: Cows :?:
Favorite Artist: MC Hammer

Scott Radinsky:
Favorite Movie: Mad Max
Favorite Artist: Scared Straight

Rodney McCray:
Best Friend: Gary Sheffield :?:

John Cangelosi:
Idol: Pete Rose

Gremlin3
01-19-2008, 09:52 PM
You're making me wanting pull my yearbook and programs out of storage, but I don't think I have the energy to do it.

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Craig Grebeck:
Favorite Movie: Stir Crazy
Favorite Food: Ham and Pineapple Pizza

Wayne Edwards:
Favorite Movie: Star Wars Sagas
Wants to Accomplish: To Get Selected to an All-Star Game (same goal as Frank Thomas. Thomas went to at least five games, Edwards none).

Charlie Hough:
Fav Childhood Memory: Seeing the Giants Play at the Polo Grounds (this guy must have been 60 years old in '91)
Biggest Surprise: I'm Still Playing! :rolling:

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Ozzie:

Hobby: Bull Fighting
Best Friend: Herm Schneider
One Thing I'd Like To Accomplish: Play as long as I can and watch my kids make it to the big leagues. :o:

Favorite Movie: Anything with Eddie Murphy

LongLiveFisk
01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Craig Grebeck:
Favorite Food: Ham and Pineapple Pizza

I hope it tastes better than it sounds. :puking:

Brian26
01-19-2008, 09:59 PM
last one:

Corey Snyder:
Fav Musician: Michael Jackson

ChiSoxGirl
01-19-2008, 11:31 PM
So its a cold night, we're staying in with the baby, baking cookies and watching the Bulls game.

I pulled the '91 Sox Yearbook off the shelf to kill some time.

This is kind of related to what you posted, so I thought I'd share my story.

Over Christmas Break, I purged my closet and got rid of a ton of junk, but not before running across programs from 1992 & 1997, both with Ventura on the cover. The '92 cover is the one with "1988 Olympian, Robin Ventura" written on it, with the background behind Robin being an American Flag. The '97 cover just has Robin throwing a ball from third. Anyway, hilarity ensued as I flipped through both programs, looking at the rosters. Some of the classics:

Shawn Abner
Esteban Beltre
Brian Drahman :?: (I don't remember this guy AT ALL. Was he a relief pitcher?)
Mike Huff
Terry Leach
Steve Sax

Carlos Castillo
Tony Castillo
Chris Clemons :?: (Who?!)
Nelson Cruz
Doug Drabek
Jorge Fabregas
Al Levine
Darren Lewis
Chuck McElroy
Mario Valdez

Clearly the '97 team had more clowns or guys on it that made me go :?: when I saw their names.

soxfan21
01-19-2008, 11:49 PM
I gotta find my '91 yearbook after reading all of this. Would be kind of cool to read all of the stuff that they have in there about "New Comiskey" again.

slavko
01-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Fernandez:
Idol: Bruce Willis
Food: Tortellini with sundried tomatoes (Alex liked his food)
Best Friend: Fabto Tejero and Pablo Caneja :?:

Sundried tomatoes were soooooo 90's.

Bowling balls aren't the only things he liked to roll.

Waited for it, got it.:wink:

Brian26
01-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Over Christmas Break, I purged my closet and got rid of a ton of junk, but not before running across programs from 1992 & 1997, both with Ventura on the cover. The '92 cover is the one with "1988 Olympian, Robin Ventura" written on it, with the background behind Robin being an American Flag.

I don't have the '97 Ventura program, but I have the '92. I only went to one game that year (it was a Charlie Hough special against the Twins in early August).

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/White%20Sox%20Stuff/DSCN1420.jpg

pearso66
01-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Not the same, but similar, I went through my baseball cards a couple of months ago, and I found a couple of pocket schedules from 94 in there. For whatever reason, I kept them, just like every player wearing a Sox uniform. I had quite a few Brian Drahman cards. I didn't know who he was either, but he was in a Sox uniform so he didn't find the garbage can.

ChiSoxGirl
01-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Not the same, but similar, I went through my baseball cards a couple of months ago, and I found a couple of pocket schedules from 94 in there. For whatever reason, I kept them, just like every player wearing a Sox uniform. I had quite a few Brian Drahman cards. I didn't know who he was either, but he was in a Sox uniform so he didn't find the garbage can.

Amidst the chaos that was my closet, I found my baseball cards, too; all the Sox ones were in separate binders and my Ventura cards were in the front slots because he was my favorite. And this is kind of :offtopic:, but I ran across an Alex Rodriguez rookie card, too! :o: I moved it to the back of the binder with the Sox cards, just so I know where it is.

Brian26
01-20-2008, 09:54 AM
And this is kind of :offtopic:, but I ran across an Alex Rodriguez rookie card, too! :o:

There are several cards of A-Rod from '93 to '95 that can be considered his rookie card. It's somewhat complicated because it's based on what company made it and whether or not he was with the Mariners yet. Upper Deck in '94 and Classic in '93 made A-Rod cards of him on his high school team. How this ties in.....look at the photo:
http://www.magoosbaseballcards.com/images/ARodClassic4Rc.jpg

RTI_SoxFan
01-20-2008, 12:02 PM
There are several cards of A-Rod from '93 to '95 that can be considered his rookie card. It's somewhat complicated because it's based on what company made it and whether or not he was with the Mariners yet. Upper Deck in '94 and Classic in '93 made A-Rod cards of him on his high school team. How this ties in.....look at the photo:
http://www.magoosbaseballcards.com/images/ARodClassic4Rc.jpg

A-Rod in a Sox hat? Why did he have a Sox hat?

FedEx227
01-20-2008, 12:05 PM
A-Rod in a Sox hat? Why did he have a Sox hat?

I have that card :D:

I think we had that discussion not too long ago, I believe his HS team or possibly a traveling summer league team used that logo and thus the hat.

MISoxfan
01-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Frank Thomas:
Idol: Bo Jackson

They are asked for personal goals they'd like to achieve and of course Big Hurt gets trashed for not saying to win a World Series. Robin wants to win a gold glove, nobody cares. Ozzie wants to watch his kids play in the bigs, nobody cares. Only Frank is held to that level of scrutiny.

Every professional baseball player wants to win the world series.

ChiSoxGirl
01-20-2008, 09:48 PM
There are several cards of A-Rod from '93 to '95 that can be considered his rookie card. It's somewhat complicated because it's based on what company made it and whether or not he was with the Mariners yet. Upper Deck in '94 and Classic in '93 made A-Rod cards of him on his high school team.

I just went to dig the card out because now I'm curious. It's a 1994 Upper Deck "Star Rookies" card, and it says "Electric Diamond" at the bottom of his picture and above his name. He's in a Mariners uniform.

On the back, there's a little blurb about him, that talks about him being a finalist for the Golden Spikes Award in high school. It also gives some of his stats from his Senior year of high school, which are quite impressive: .505 BA, 9 HR, 36 RBIs, and he was 35-for-35 in SB attempts! :o:

In the chart of his baseball experience, it says, "'93 Minors- No Professional Experience" and "'93 Majors- No Professional Experience." Is this a real rookie card?

Demafrost
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
They are asked for personal goals they'd like to achieve and of course Big Hurt gets trashed for not saying to win a World Series. Robin wants to win a gold glove, nobody cares. Ozzie wants to watch his kids play in the bigs, nobody cares. Only Frank is held to that level of scrutiny.

Every professional baseball player wants to win the world series.

Are you kidding? I am pretty sure what he meant by that comment was that those were low expectations for someone who eventually had the career that Big Frank had.

Zisk77
01-23-2008, 02:18 PM
This is kind of related to what you posted, so I thought I'd share my story.

Over Christmas Break, I purged my closet and got rid of a ton of junk, but not before running across programs from 1992 & 1997, both with Ventura on the cover. The '92 cover is the one with "1988 Olympian, Robin Ventura" written on it, with the background behind Robin being an American Flag. The '97 cover just has Robin throwing a ball from third. Anyway, hilarity ensued as I flipped through both programs, looking at the rosters. Some of the classics:

Shawn Abner
Esteban Beltre
Brian Drahman :?: (I don't remember this guy AT ALL. Was he a relief pitcher?)
Mike Huff
Terry Leach
Steve Sax

Carlos Castillo
Tony Castillo
Chris Clemons :?: (Who?!)
Nelson Cruz
Doug Drabek
Jorge Fabregas
Al Levine
Darren Lewis
Chuck McElroy
Mario Valdez

Clearly the '97 team had more clowns or guys on it that made me go :?: when I saw their names.

Brian Drahman was a relief pitcher we got from the expos....and he blew chunks.....have no idea who chris clemons was though.

SCarolina_Ron
01-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Brian Drahman was a relief pitcher we got from the expos....and he blew chunks.....have no idea who chris clemons was though.

Clemons played sax for springsteen:cool:

Lip Man 1
01-23-2008, 03:22 PM
That's why his nickname was Brian "Down The" Drahman!

Lip

eriqjaffe
01-23-2008, 04:01 PM
So its a cold night, we're staying in with the baby, baking cookies and watching the Bulls game.So...what was the score of the Strat-O-Matic game you put the yearbook down on?

russ99
01-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Sosa:
Favorite Movie: Colors
Favorite Vacation: Dominican Republic (didn't the idiot live there?)
Favorite Artist: Ice-T :rolleyes:

Hey! Ice-T was quite the shizz in the early 90's

However, I didn't figure Sammy would be into the gangsta rap. Maybe he had a change of heart and switched to Salsa music when he went over to the Cubs.

areilly
01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Scott Fletcher:
Biggest Surprise: My 30th birthday. My wife had a surprise party with a singer and a monkey that did a striptease.
First Car: 76 Buick Regal

Wow. Scott Fletcher and I have something in common.

PaleHoser
01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
We could have used Brian Drahman and Charlie Hough last year.

Brian26
01-23-2008, 07:25 PM
So...what was the score of the Strat-O-Matic game you put the yearbook down on?

'05 Sox beat the '05 Rockies 6-3 at Colorado.

Buehrle pitched 7.2 innings. Politte helped finish off the 8th, and Jenks closed. Iguchi hit a solo shot, and Frank Thomas had two homers and three rbi. Shawn Chacon got roughed up in the first three innings for the Rockies.

babybull19
01-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Melido Perez
Pets-cows

you gotta be kidding me.
:rolling::rolling::whistle:

HITMEN OF 77
01-31-2008, 05:01 PM
McDowell:

:lol: