PDA

View Full Version : Typical Cub fan thinking

sox_fan_4life
04-20-2002, 09:01 PM
troll board funny (http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chc&id=445728)

Now it is not wait until next year, but wait for 2 years, or maybe 5 years.

The guy in the next post just says bull*.

NorthSideConvert
04-20-2002, 11:10 PM
All those years of my life as a Cubs fan... what a waste.

NSC

sox_fan_4life
04-20-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by NorthSideConvert
All those years of my life as a Cubs fan... what a waste.

NSC

You have come over from the darkside.
That was the first step in your recovery. :D:

SOXSINCE'70
04-20-2002, 11:24 PM
The only way the sCrUBS win a Series is if Hell freezes over and Reinsdork converts to Cathlocism.Sorry looooo-sahs.No go.

:moron

"I'm not biased.I just kiss Sosux's ass for a living".

:woo-woo

sCrUBs WOO!SUCK WOO!SAM-ME WOO!SUX WOO!

RKMeibalane
04-21-2002, 07:14 AM
I have been hearing the same garbage. Every Cubs fan in the world thinks that their time is coming, once Choi, Pryor, and Hill are brought up. I remember hearing the same thing back when everyone thought Kevin Roberson was going to be an all-star, and where is he now?

Now, I have no complaints about the people who are staunch Cubs fans who wish they had a better team, but realize that the Cubs organization has a long, long way to go. The thing I don't like is when all of the bandwagon jumpers and Wrigleyville idiots start babbling about how good the Cubs will be in 2004. They just don't get it.

The Cubs have had several players before who were supposed to be outstanding, but never panned out. Anyone here remember Matt Walbeck? I don't think he's been in the majors since '96 or '97. Back when he came up, Cubs fans thought he was the catcher of the future. When Rick Wilkins hit thirty homeruns that same season, everyone thought he would be the best hitting catcher in baseball for the next decade. What a load of crap!

If there's one thing all of these people need, it's a dose of reality. Face it. The vast majority of players who make it to the majors don't stay long for one reason or another. For every Frank Thomas, there's two dozen Crash Davises. Baseball is the most difficult sport to play, simply because the chances of failing are too great. That's why being sucessful thirty percent of the time is considered good.

There is nothing wrong with a loyal Cubs fan who supports his team and hopes for the best. What is extremely irritating is when some wannabe fan talks about how great things will be "once everyone is called up," "once so-and-so is healthy," etc. There is such a thing as going too far, and it's been my experience that most people who follow the Cubs do just that. They want to travel to the stars, but they never consider the means with which to do so.

Sammy Sosa will be thirty four once the season ends. That is not too old, even by the standards of professional sports. However, one has to question how long he will continue to be productive, because his game is based purely on hitting homeruns. He doesn't hit for a high average like Thomas does, and he refuses to dirty his uniform pants by stealing bases, so if his power ever declines, I would imagine he won't be anywhere near as productive as he has been. His average will drop, as will his spot in the batting order. Fortunately, I know all of those loyal fans will stand behind him. After all, most of the people who go to Wrigley actually want to see the Cubs.