PDA

View Full Version : Sox back off of Colon

Sockinchisox
01-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Rotoworld/Sun-Times.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifThe White Sox have reportedly backed off on free agent Bartolo Colon because of his desire for a mulityear deal.
The Sun-Times believes the Royals are the favorites to sign Colon. The Mets are also believed to have backed off because of the right-hander's demands.
Source: Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/748588,CST-SPT-sox19.article)
Related: White Sox (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=CWS), Royals (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=KC), Mets (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=NYM)

StillMissOzzie
01-19-2008, 02:32 PM
On the White Sox Weekly radio show earlier today, Brian Paruch (sp? Rongey's stand-in for the day) said that Colon was barely up to 90 mph on his heater. Wise choice, KW.

SMO
:gulp:

SoxxoS
01-19-2008, 04:02 PM
On the White Sox Weekly radio show earlier today, Brian Paruch (sp? Rongey's stand-in for the day) said that Colon was barely up to 90 mph on his heater. Wise choice, KW.

SMO

But he lost a lot of velocity even in 2002 before we signed him - He knows how to pitch.

DumpJerry
01-19-2008, 04:18 PM
But he lost a lot of velocity even in 2002 before we signed him - He knows how to pitch.
I saw him throw plenty of 98-100 MPH fastballs when he was with us. Especially in the later innings. Without a good fastball, he's not worth it.

WhiteSox5187
01-19-2008, 04:23 PM
If he's asking for anything more than one year (with an option) then he's not worth it.

rowand33
01-19-2008, 04:29 PM
will Colon actually get a multiyear from anybody though?

If no multi year offers go out to him, I hope we continue our pursuit.

russ99
01-20-2008, 02:31 PM
will Colon actually get a multiyear from anybody though?

If no multi year offers go out to him, I hope we continue our pursuit.

It's like Sosa's contract squabble the last 2 winters. He think's he's still the big star, despite how far he's fallen. Not giving him a good enough contract in his mind is a lack of respect.

Ridiculous, but if he keeps this mindset, he'll be watching games at home this season.

Good move by the Sox to not buy into that BS and walk away.

HomeFish
01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Sad that we couldn't work something out. He's probably still better than the back end of our rotation right now.

Gammons Peter
01-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Sad that we couldn't work something out. He's probably still better than the back end of our rotation right now.

He's probably better than the front end too

DumpJerry
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM

He's probably better than the front end too
There's a reason he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

He's got nothing!

WhiteSox5187
01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
There's a reason he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

He's got nothing!
There are ton of guys with nothing who have signed for lucrative multi-year deals...the thing is the injury. Several teams were interested in a one year deal and if he came back and did just mediocre in '08 several more teams would be interested in him for a multi-year deal...but as someone else said, if he backs down his multi-year demand (which he'll have to do if he wants to pitch in the MLB in '08) I wouldn't object to giving him a deal.

KenBerry
01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Sometimes saying "no" is the best thing to do. Good Job here Kenny. My cousin the @#$*'s fan sent me an e-mail about the speculation about Colon here and his team's signing of Lieber. I replied that Colon is three years younger but at this stage of their careers I would rather have Lieber.

Chicken Dinner
01-21-2008, 05:04 PM

SMO

With NO movement.

A.T. Money
01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I certainly don't wanna see those shiny, puffy, liver lips back on the south side.

He's washed up.

Navarro's Talent
01-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Wise move, KW. Any deal longer than one year would be bad for the Sox.

A. Cavatica
01-21-2008, 10:27 PM
We don't want Colon. Sweeney would kill us.

soxinem1
01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
We can give $11 million to Dotel for two years after averaging 18 IP the last three seasons, but cannot give Colon a Loaiza-type deal from 2003 after being the 2005 Cy Young winner?

I'd gladly give him an automatic option of $8-10 million for 2009 if he makes 30 starts and throws 190 IP, because that would mean he was pitching well enough to achieve those stats.

If there is more than what we know, and that is Bart cannot hit 85MPH, fine. But if he looks good enough to be 4-5 in our rotation and cannot be given a good creative deal, what gives?

Perhaps we wll learn more as time goes by.

TomBradley72
01-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Three years since he had a decent season...history of injury and weight problems..not worth a multi year risk. We'll see where this goes...does he want a one year deal with a team that will contend or a multi year deal with a team rebuilding (Royals).

thedudeabides
01-22-2008, 01:22 PM
We can give $11 million to Dotel for two years after averaging 18 IP the last three seasons, but cannot give Colon a Loaiza-type deal from 2003 after being the 2005 Cy Young winner?

I'd gladly give him an automatic option of $8-10 million for 2009 if he makes 30 starts and throws 190 IP, because that would mean he was pitching well enough to achieve those stats.

If there is more than what we know, and that is Bart cannot hit 85MPH, fine. But if he looks good enough to be 4-5 in our rotation and cannot be given a good creative deal, what gives?

Perhaps we wll learn more as time goes by.

If you want to look at it that way Colon has averaged only 125 innings the last three years.

It sounds like he wants a multi-year contract guaranteed. I wouldn't give him that. If nobody does, maybe the Sox will get back involved. Also, maybe the Sox looked at him and think he has nothing left and aren't going to throw money at him just because of his name. If he does have anything left I would like to see him signed for a one year deal, but guarantee nothing more.

WhiteSox5187
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Anything more than one year for Colon is a waste of money...but yea, a Loaiza type deal or a one year gig, I'd give him that.

Sockinchisox
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
New article says it was Colon who declined the deal, not that the Sox backed off of him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080127&content_id=2357370&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-27-2008, 11:19 PM
New article says it was Colon who declined the deal, not that the Sox backed off of him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080127&content_id=2357370&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

After reading that, I wouldn't be surprised if the offer is still on the table. If no one signs him (which seems more and more likely with all the bad reports on him), he might have no choice but to take it, unless he decides to retire.

oeo
01-27-2008, 11:36 PM

They still technically 'backed off.' They offered him a contract, he obviously said he wanted more, and they 'backed off.'

voodoochile
01-27-2008, 11:46 PM
They still technically 'backed off.' They offered him a contract, he obviously said he wanted more, and they 'backed off.'

More or less correct...

He wanted more upfront money and less clauses about IP and weight range...

Sargeant79
01-28-2008, 09:30 AM
From that article, it really sounds like the Sox have had the right idea on him. Put him in a position to earn the job and his money. If he doesn't want to accept that type of deal, we're better off with what we already have.

rowand33
01-28-2008, 12:30 PM
From that article, it really sounds like the Sox have had the right idea on him. Put him in a position to earn the job and his money. If he doesn't want to accept that type of deal, we're better off with what we already have.

Agreed. If he won't take that, we don't want him.

Good luck in Kansas City, Bartolo.

gogosox16
01-28-2008, 04:12 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080127&content_id=2357370&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

kind of shocking he would turn down a deal when the Sox have really been the only team to even offer him something.

Irishsox1
01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
I would welcome him on this team to take some pressure off the young starters but given his health the last 3 years, he is very risky which explains the structure of the Sox offer.

As they get closer to the season and Colon hasn't signed yet, maybe the Sox could get him. However, there are a lot of very dumb GM's that will over pay for this guy.

soxfanreggie
01-29-2008, 01:00 AM
If he wants to come here and play, assuming he doesn't get a 2-year offer, that's good. If not, best of luck to him elsewhere except vs the Sox. I'm not going to mind a one-year flyer with an option for us for a 2nd year.