PDA

View Full Version : Bedard & Roberts for Seven Bags of Crap

Brian26
01-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Supposedly there was a deal in place for the Cubs to send seven players to Baltimore (unnamed players) for Roberts and Bedard. Peter Angelos just killed the deal.

Because there would be seven players involved, I'm sure they were fringe players or minor league guys. Sean Marshall, Sean Gallagher, Ronny Cedeno, Murton, ....and three other guys?

rowand33
01-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Bedard's going to go to seattle. don't bother yourself with this nonsense.

russ99
01-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Supposedly there was a deal in place for the Cubs to send seven players to Baltimore (unnamed players) for Roberts and Bedard. Peter Angelos, just killed the deal.

Because there would be seven players involved, I'm sure they were fringe players or minor league guys. Sean Marshall, Sean Gallagher, Ronny Cedeno, Murton, ....and three other guys?

I wouldn't assume that. That's just Cub fans talking. They assume their crappy prospects are worth gold.

The rumors I've heard is that the Cubs wouldn't part wth Pie, Fuld, Colvin or Veal. No actual prospects, no deal.

The Cubs scrub prospects like Marshall and Cedeno don't add up to acquire Roberts, so why would they and a few other low-value players add up to acquire both Roberts and Bedard?

The Orioles don't just give out gifts to other teams. Look what they got for Tejada from Houston. I'd expect a similar price for the other two players they're trying to deal to rebuild.

oeo
01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Supposedly there was a deal in place for the Cubs to send seven players to Baltimore (unnamed players) for Roberts and Bedard. Peter Angelos, just killed the deal.

It's probably just BS...kind of like the weekly, 'Roberts is a Cub' rumor.

WhiteSox5187
01-19-2008, 12:55 PM
It was in the Sun Times today...but apparently Angelos killed the deal and would presumably kill any other deal sending Roberts or Beddard anywhere else.

kaufsox
01-19-2008, 01:30 PM
It was in the Sun Times today...but apparently Angelos killed the deal and would presumably kill any other deal sending Roberts or Beddard anywhere else.

ahh, Peter Angleos. keeping the Orioles out of the pennant race for well over a decade.

goon
01-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't assume that. That's just Cub fans talking. They assume their crappy prospects are worth gold.

The rumors I've heard is that the Cubs wouldn't part wth Pie, Fuld, Colvin or Veal. No actual prospects, no deal.

Yeah, this kinda irritates me. The Cubs have one of the better teams in the NL (SP aside) and they do have some intriguing prospects, but if I hear about another ****ing phantom deal for Bedard and Roberts for MEDIOCRE minor league junk... I'm am just going to snap. Cedeno, Marshall, Gallagher, Murton... what a joke of an organization if they think they can land one, let alone both, Bedard and Roberts with any of those players anchoring the deal. It's piling **** on ****, does that make it a more attractive deal? Granted, it's not like the Sox have an abundance of minor league talent but at least our organization (and fans) are completely delusional about rating the talent that we do have. BA lovers, please don't respond.

Unless they are going to throw somebody like Pie or Colvin into the mix, any kind of deal with Baltimore should go completely ignored by Chicago media because it's not going to happen.

chisoxmike
01-19-2008, 01:36 PM
If true, its good to hear that a GM wasn't going to get fleeced by the Great Player robber that Hendry is.

kittle42
01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Nice to hear WSI isn't the only place where you can propose sending all your crappy players to another team for their good ones.

DrCrawdad
01-19-2008, 02:07 PM
If true, its good to hear that a GM wasn't going to get fleeced by the Great Player robber that Hendry is.

Other than the trades where he acquired Ramirez and Derreck Lee, what other lopsided deals has he made?

Dan Mega
01-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Hendry The Thief!

Brian26
01-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Other than the trades where he acquired Ramirez and Derreck Lee, what other lopsided deals has he made?

Off the top of my head, Garciaparra.

santo=dorf
01-19-2008, 02:28 PM
In terms of giving up prospects, they didn't give up much, but Garciaparra was a flop. He completely lost his power and in 2005 he did his best Erstad impression by batting .283 with a .320 OBP before going down to a long injury.

He was able to dump Neifi Perez's entire contract on the Tigers in 2006.

I've looked through back to before the 2005 season, and that's all I could find.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
A Cubs source told the Sun-Times that Orioles owner Peter Angelos killed a proposed seven-for-two trade that would have sent both Erik Bedard and Brian Roberts to Chicago.

Other sources have indicated that this was never on the table to be killed, though it's likely that the possibility of adding both Bedard and Roberts in the same deal is something the two sides have discussed. The Cubs would almost certainly have to part with Felix Pie in a deal for both. Their discussions for Roberts alone have center around players like Sean Marshall and Sean Gallagher.

Brian26
01-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I also just did a quick search. Other than Garciaparra, the only other big name trade was when he got rid of Todd Hundley and his monster contract by trading him to LA for Karros and Grudzialanek. Every indication was that Hundley was going to be placed on waivers and the Scrubs would have eaten his entire contract.

The Ramirez trade with Pittsburgh, don't forget, also got them Lofton and Randall Simon. Who did they trade to Pittsburgh other than Bobby Hill and Jose Hernandez?

Brian26
01-19-2008, 02:38 PM
In terms of giving up prospects, they didn't give up much, but Garciaparra was a flop. He completely lost his power and in 2005 he did his best Erstad impression by batting .283 with a .320 OBP before going down to a long injury.

No matter what happened in '05 to Garciaparra, the trade was made at the deadline in '04 with a Cubs team that was very much in contention to go to the playoffs and were the favorites to win the NL pennant. It was a hell of a steal for what he gave up and the type of player and potential he was getting in return.

JUribe1989
01-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I really don't think there's any question that the Cubs would have won the NL, and much less the Central had that trade gone through.

WSox73
01-19-2008, 03:51 PM

It's in the Tribune too. I also read somewhere this week that Hendry had tried to get Figgins. :o:

jabrch
01-19-2008, 04:46 PM

Given what the Os want for Bedard alone, I can't imagine a deal wouldn't include Hill and Pie at least. I don't see any way that the Cubs get those two cheap. Angelos, Hendry and Co. were going to get a ton from Seattle just for Bedard and Angelos loves Roberts.

jabrch
01-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Off the top of my head, Garciaparra.

He gave up a bunch of decent stuff to get Garciaparra given his age/skills/injuries and the whisper of steroids around him. The best player in that deal ended up being Matt Murton - who is of little value.

jabrch
01-19-2008, 04:49 PM
The Ramirez trade with Pittsburgh, don't forget, also got them Lofton and Randall Simon. Who did they trade to Pittsburgh other than Bobby Hill and Jose Hernandez?

But that was completely a salary dump. Nobody wanted Ramirez - he wasn't half the player with Pit that he became with the Cubs, either with the bat of the glove...

Tragg
01-19-2008, 05:06 PM
But that was completely a salary dump. Nobody wanted Ramirez - he wasn't half the player with Pit that he became with the Cubs, either with the bat of the glove...
He had a big year in 01, a bad year in 02 and was having a so so year, when the Bucs traded him in mid year. It probably was a salary dump - but just for the cheap pirates as he was only making 3 mill a year.
Whatever Nomar was, Williams wanted to give Magglio Ordonez for him 1/2 a year before....so I'd say the Cubs paid a bit lesser price. The lesson there is avoid the player the other team has been trying to dump.

DrCrawdad
01-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I find it interesting to observe the treatment Hendry gets compared to KW by the media and fans (mainly Cubbie fans but also some Sox fans). You'd think it was Hendry who GM'd a team that won 99 games, was in first place from game 1 to game 162 and topped it off by going 11-1 in the post-season. Instead Hendry has been given more to work with (financially and a supposedly better farm system) and done much less.

Cubbie fans often ask how long KW will get to live off the '05 Championship, well how long will Hendry get to live off the Ramirez/Lee trades? How come he hasn't been held accountable for the '06 6th place finish? How come he's celebrated for spending like a drunk on an '07 team that won measly 85 games in the worst division in MLB and then seeing that high priced team with it's high priced coach get summarily swept in the NLDS?

Some people love to rip KW. Certainly at least some of the barbs are self inflicted from KW talking too much. But KW is the only Chicago GM I've ever seen who constructed a World Championship baseball team. Oh, I forgot those same skeptics say that the Sox got lucky in '05. To which I respond, when was the last time the Cubbies have had back-to-back seasons of 90 wins or more?

russ99
01-20-2008, 02:22 PM

Don't forget the Kenny Lofton deal for a bag of used balls. Hopefully current regime at Pittsburgh has learned from their predecessors' mistakes. The Aramis deal was flat out robbery.

Lee from the Fish for Choi + is pretty bad too, but the Willis and Nolasco acquisitions from the Cubs balance that one out.

TommyJohn
01-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I find it interesting to observe the treatment Hendry gets compared to KW by the media and fans (mainly Cubbie fans but also some Sox fans). You'd think it was Hendry who GM'd a team that won 99 games, was in first place from game 1 to game 162 and topped it off by going 11-1 in the post-season. Instead Hendry has been given more to work with (financially and a supposedly better farm system) and done much less.

Cubbie fans often ask how long KW will get to live off the '05 Championship, well how long will Hendry get to live off the Ramirez/Lee trades? How come he hasn't been held accountable for the '06 6th place finish? How come he's celebrated for spending like a drunk on an '07 team that won measly 85 games in the worst division in MLB and then seeing that high priced team with it's high priced coach get summarily swept in the NLDS?

Some people love to rip KW. Certainly at least some of the barbs are self inflicted from KW talking too much. But KW is the only Chicago GM I've ever seen who constructed a World Championship baseball team. Oh, I forgot those same skeptics say that the Sox got lucky in '05. To which I respond, when was the last time the Cubbies have had back-to-back seasons of 90 wins or more?

You should address this question to Greg Couch. He's the one constantly praising the Cubs for going forward, while ripping the White Sox for going backward. A World Series title just doesn't go as far as it used to at least not in this town.

PalehosePlanet
01-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Don't forget the Kenny Lofton deal for a bag of used balls. Hopefully current regime at Pittsburgh has learned from their predecessors' mistakes.

Neil Huntington is the new GM and he carries a big chip on his shoulder for the previous regimes mistakes. I've read numerous articles in which he keeps reiterating that the Pirates won't be fleeced. He mentions Jason Schmidt and Jon Lieber as the primary examples.

Notice that the Pirates have not made any big trades this winter even though they have supposedly been shopping Bay as well as Marte.

DrCrawdad
01-20-2008, 11:25 PM
...He mentions Jason Schmidt and Jon Lieber as the primary examples...

You no doubt know it, but for the record, Lieber was not acquired by Cubbie GM Hendry or McPhail but by Ed Lynch.