PDA

View Full Version : 1/18/08 Sox Roster (assuming Dotel signing)

getonbckthr
01-18-2008, 08:39 PM
HITTERS (13)
C- Pierzynski, Hall
1B- Konerko (DH)
2B- Richar
SS- Cabrera
3B- Crede
LF- Quentin (RF)
CF- Swisher (LF, RF, 1B, DH)
RF- Dye
DH-Thome (1B)
Bench- Fields (3B, LF), Uribe (2B, SS, 3B), Ozuna (IF, OF)
PITCHERS (12)
SP- Burls, Vazquez, Contreras, Danks, Floyd
RP- Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, Wassermann, Logan, Thornton, Macdougal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on that and how we have utility guys I don't think we need a 4th OF officially on the roster. Also with Contreras, Floyd and Danks we need the 7 man bullpen. Is there any way to get Bedard? If we were to give Crede a generous long-term contract (5 yrs, 55 million) in addition to Fields and 1 of Danks/Floyd what else would it take and do we have to get a Bedard?

Brian26
01-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Who's the backup centerfielder?

getonbckthr
01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Ya I just noticed that. Who do we lose for a CF'r though? If we do a trade similar to what i'm looking at for Bedard that problem would be resolved. I think we really do need a 12 man staff though.

hi im skot
01-18-2008, 08:50 PM
http://www.musictowers.com/assets/gallery/S/pic_3-24-2006_4-58-05_PM_7056.jpg

Y'all ain't got no love for Jerry Owens?

Brian26
01-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Ya I just noticed that. Who do we lose for a CF'r though? If we do a trade similar to what i'm looking at for Bedard that problem would be resolved. I think we really do need a 12 man staff though.

I think your roster is pretty close. I'd say Owens makes the club, and either Wassermann or Logan go back to Charlotte.

drewcifer
01-18-2008, 08:56 PM
I think your roster is pretty close. I'd say Owens makes the club, and either Wassermann or Logan go back to Charlotte. I hope not.

Daver
01-18-2008, 08:56 PM

Konerko.

getonbckthr
01-18-2008, 09:00 PM
http://www.musictowers.com/assets/gallery/S/pic_3-24-2006_4-58-05_PM_7056.jpg

Y'all ain't got no love for Jerry Owens?
I like Owens but value a 12th pitcher more.

drewcifer
01-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I like Owens but value a 12th pitcher more.

Same. Geton....what's your hitting lineup with that roster?

nccwsfan
01-18-2008, 09:04 PM
C- Pierzynski
1B- Konerko
2B- Richar
SS- Cabrera
3B- Crede
LF- Swisher
CF- Owens
RF- Dye
DH-Thome
Bench- Quentin, Hall, Uribe, Ozuna

SP- Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Danks, Floyd (or TBD)
RP- Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, Wassermann, Logan, Thornton, Macdougal

Fields will not be sitting on the bench- if Crede's the 3B Fields will be playing in Charlotte, KW has already said this. Enough of the Owens hate too, he'll be our leadoff hitter on Opening Day. He had a .340 OBP from July-Sept, so if he can repeat that he's the speed option. Finally, I think someone will replace Floyd as the #5, whether it's getting a #4 and Danks at 5 or a true #5.

sox1970
01-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't think the Dotel signing should be assumed.

As of now, I believe this is the roster:

Lineup: Cabrera, Swisher, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Quentin, Richar
Bench: Uribe, Ramirez, Hall, Ozuna, Owens
Rotation: Vazquez, Buehrle, Contreras, Floyd, Danks
Bullpen: Wassermann, Logan, MacDougal, Thornton, Linebrink, Jenks

Crede and Uribe will get traded before opening day. I'd insert Fields at 3b, and add Jack Egbert in the bullpen.

veeter
01-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I think your roster is pretty close. I'd say Owens makes the club, and either Wassermann or Logan go back to Charlotte.Wasserman is going to be a bright spot on the staff. He's not going anywhere.

oeo
01-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Wasserman is going to be a bright spot on the staff. He's not going anywhere.

If Dotel is signed, Wassermann will be the odd man out because he's right-handed.

sox1970
01-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Crede and Uribe get moved, and there's no impact to the 25 man?

Re-think that one.

Possibly not. They could get minor leaguers. Remember, whatever team gets Crede, they only have him under contract for a year. Unless it's a combo Konerko/Crede trade, they very well may not get someone that is on the major league roster come opening day.

drewcifer
01-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't think the Dotel signing should be assumed.

As of now, I believe this is the roster:

Lineup: Cabrera, Swisher, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Quentin, Richar
Bench: Uribe, Ramirez, Hall, Ozuna, Owens
Rotation: Vazquez, Buehrle, Contreras, Floyd, Danks
Bullpen: Wassermann, Logan, MacDougal, Thornton, Linebrink, Jenks

Crede and Uribe will get traded before opening day. I'd insert Fields at 3b, and add Jack Egbert in the bullpen.

I started a different way, but let me ask it another: If Crede and Uribe are moved, what pieces do you intend to acquire. Not necessarily names, but holes (i.e. - a lead off hitter, position player, etc.).

You've got 3 outfielders in Quentin, Dye, and Swish (Swish, I'm assuming since Paulie is in there). 1B, 2B, SS, 3B (either with or without Crede). That means a bench spot opens but I don't see a lead off hitter still... What are we getting in those trades you feel? And who sets the table?

*Edit - And I'm not picking on you, because I feel Uribe should go at his $, and there's just no reason to keep Crede, IMO.

sox1970
01-18-2008, 09:28 PM
I started a different way, but let me ask it another: If Crede and Uribe are moved, what pieces do you intend to acquire. Not necessarily names, but holes (i.e. - a lead off hitter, position player, etc.).

You've got 3 outfielders in Quentin, Dye, and Swish (Swish, I'm assuming since Paulie is in there). 1B, 2B, SS, 3B (either with or without Crede). That means a bench spot opens but I don't see a lead off hitter still... What are we getting in those trades you feel? And who sets the table?

Personally, I think there is some validity to the Konerko/Crede rumors to the Angels. Two reasons--1)What you said--who is going to lead off? I think Swisher and Cabrera can hit 1-2 either way, but neither is a prototypical leadoff guy; 2)I'm not buying that Swisher is being brought here to be an everyday CF.

So the Angels thing could still happen once Crede proves his back is healed. In that case, Figgins comes here and plays CF and leads off, and Swisher moves to 1B. Then the Sox will get other players/pitchers--if Kendrick and Santana are involved, great.

drewcifer
01-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Personally, I think there is some validity to the Konerko/Crede rumors to the Angels. Two reasons--1)What you said--who is going to lead off? I think Swisher and Cabrera can hit 1-2 either way, but neither is a prototypical leadoff guy; 2)I'm not buying that Swisher is being brought here to be an everyday CF.

So the Angels thing could still happen once Crede proves his back is healed. In that case, Figgins comes here and plays CF and leads off, and Swisher moves to 1B. Then the Sox will get other players/pitchers--if Kendrick and Santana are involved, great.

That works.

johnr1note
01-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Isn't Quentin coming off an injury? I don't think he's expected to be back for the start of the season.

Domeshot17
01-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Crede will be Dealt, Ramirez will be the backup everything (including CF)

sox1970
01-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Isn't Quentin coming off an injury? I don't think he's expected to be back for the start of the season.

From 12/3/07

This left shoulder problem was repaired through arthroscopic surgery in October, and Quentin hopes his current rehab path will have him ready for Spring Training in February. Quentin suffered a Type 2 tear in his labrum and a tear in his rotator cuff, which both had to be anchored back down.
Currently, Quentin has between 95 and 100 percent range of motion, and he's strengthening the shoulder with light weights. When January rolls around, Quentin plans to start hitting off of a tee and gradually progress to live hacks.
"My healing process has been great, all positive," Quentin told MLB.com on Monday evening. "I feel strongly I will be ready [for Spring Training], if everything continues going accordingly." "Yeah, he can hit, he's an absolute hitter, and he can get on base. He's solid defensively and he's going to be healthy," Williams added.

PalehosePlanet
01-19-2008, 10:10 AM
HITTERS (13)
C- Pierzynski, Hall
1B- Konerko (DH)
2B- Richar
SS- Cabrera
3B- Crede
LF- Quentin (RF)
RF- Dye
DH-Thome (1B)
PITCHERS (12)
Based on that and how we have utility guys I don't think we need a 4th OF officially on the roster. Also with Contreras, Floyd and Danks we need the 7 man bullpen. Is there any way to get Bedard? If we were to give Crede a generous long-term contract (5 yrs, 55 million) in addition to Fields and 1 of Danks/Floyd what else would it take and do we have to get a Bedard?

Owens will be on the team, Crede will not.

Also you have no long relief man; expect Massett, Sisco or one of the other minor league SP's instead of Wasserman, or Logan (if he struggles.)

Note:If we pick up Fatolo for the rotation, then Floyd slides into the long relief role

Zisk77
01-19-2008, 10:30 AM
How do you not have Owens as a 4th outfielder. Think of all the times late in a close game when someone like thome or Konerko gets on base. How nice would it be to pinch run a guy who could easily swipe a base, score from 1st on an extra base hit, and score from second on almost any single? Thats a nice weapon to have. It may also prevent pitchers from pitching our big hitters so carefully (in fear of walking them) late in the game.

russ99
01-19-2008, 10:46 AM
If Dotel is signed, Wassermann will be the odd man out because he's right-handed.

Doubtful. Wassserman's delivery is a big change of pace from our other relievers, and thus quite valuable as long as he can get guys out.

MacDougal would be the odd man out if the Sox acquire Dotel. I'd see him getting moved (good contract for a reliever) as a piece in a Crede or Uribe deal.

Dotel would not set up, that's Linebrink's role and why we signed him. Look at Dotel's numbers the last 2 years. He's a 7th inning guy.

Owens will be on the big league club, but depending on his spring, he'll either lead off, platoon in CF/fill in until Quentin's healthy, or be the speed guy off the bench. Ramirez needs some minor league seasoning against real pitching. I'd expect him up midseason at best.

Herbal
01-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Fields will not be sitting on the bench- if Crede's the 3B Fields will be playing in Charlotte, KW has already said this.

I'm with you on this. There aren't many poeple that doubt Fields' offensive talent, but many doubt his defense. It's difficult to imagine him ever becoming as good defensively as Crede, but he sure won't get close if he's sitting on the bench or in LF/1B. He needs to keep playing 3B somewhere everyday to improve, or at least keep his skills as they are. If they trade Crede in July, Fields needs to be ready to go.

There's something to be said for 3B being a position where knowing the hitters and your pitchers helps defensive positioning, but I think the spotty time he'd get there if Crede is still here is worse than anything he'd gain at the Major League level.

oeo
01-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Doubtful. Wassserman's delivery is a big change of pace from our other relievers, and thus quite valuable as long as he can get guys out.

MacDougal would be the odd man out if the Sox acquire Dotel. I'd see him getting moved (good contract for a reliever) as a piece in a Crede or Uribe deal.

That's if they can move him, and I still think it would be dumb to do so. I'm probably Wassermann's biggest fan here (and have been since the moment he was brought up), but I think you keep him as insurance, and hope MacDougal bounces back.

Dotel would not set up, that's Linebrink's role and why we signed him. Look at Dotel's numbers the last 2 years. He's a 7th inning guy.Are you forgetting how Ozzie manages the bullpen? There's no one set-up man, it's two or three of them. He'll bring in whoever his 'gut' is telling him to.

This will be interesting, to say the least, if the Dotel deal is finalized. Remember, this team still has to make organizational decisions on Aardsma, Sisco, and Masset. The first two I think are definitely gone, but have they really soured on Masset that much in one year? I don't really think so.

champagne030
01-19-2008, 12:07 PM
This will be interesting, to say the least, if the Dotel deal is finalized. Remember, this team still has to make organizational decisions on Aardsma, Sisco, and Masset. The first two I think are definitely gone, but have they really soured on Masset that much in one year? I don't really think so.

Is Sisco out of options too? I know Masset and Aardsma are gone unless they are awesome in Arizona.

munchman33
01-19-2008, 12:52 PM
HITTERS (13)
C- Pierzynski, Hall
1B- Konerko (DH)
2B- Richar
SS- Cabrera
3B- Crede
LF- Quentin (RF)
RF- Dye
DH-Thome (1B)
PITCHERS (12)

To be honest, if not for that rotation, we might have contended. But that rotation has a chance to be just as bad as the one in Texas. Nothing Kenny has done will save us if Contreras, Danks, and Floyd all post 5 eras. Or worse.

Noneck
01-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Don't need 12 pitchers early in year with off days and canceled games.

doublem23
01-19-2008, 01:35 PM
To be honest, if not for that rotation, we might have contended. But that rotation has a chance to be just as bad as the one in Texas. Nothing Kenny has done will save us if Contreras, Danks, and Floyd all post 5 eras. Or worse.

I've got to believe that Konerko is going to be moved before Opening Day for one more MLB-caliber starter.

soxfanreggie
01-20-2008, 07:13 PM
If PK isn't moved, I would expect either Uribe or Crede to be traded and then Owens added in the OF, also a PR. Crede would give us more in return than Uribe and would save about the same money if their entire pay went with it. Uribe could also back-up at all IF positions but first. If Uribe is moved, Crede could still back-up 3B (unless they have him start), platoon at first/DH if they decide to make the switch.

Ultimately, we could make up 500 different line-ups, but that is worthless until we know what they're going to do in regards to if we have more trades. I would like to have another guy who can back-up in the OF and pinch run (Owens would fit that role), leaving Ozuna to make a few back-ups in the OF and also be used in the IF. Having Ozuna as our only back-up OF would scare me until I see he's healed nicely, and even then, I would mind another back-up.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-20-2008, 07:44 PM
I sure hope Macdougal is not on the roster on opening day. If he is, it means the Sox still have big hole in the pen. He's a bum. Yeah, he could have a good year. But if he pitches like every other year, the odds of that are slim. I'd take Wasserman over Macdougal, and probably Broadway.

ilsox7
01-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I sure hope Macdougal is not on the roster on opening day. If he is, it means the Sox still have big hole in the pen. He's a bum. Yeah, he could have a good year. But if he pitches like every other year, the odds of that are slim. I'd take Wasserman over Macdougal, and probably Broadway.

Actually, if he pitches like every other year other than 2007, he'll be an asset in the bullpen.

spiffie
01-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I've got to believe that Konerko is going to be moved before Opening Day for one more MLB-caliber starter.
I really can't see them moving Konerko. No one is going to give up stud pitching for him, and I don't see the Sox moving PK for a #4 starter of the Jason Marquis ilk considering the organization seems pretty high on Floyd and Danks. I could see them perhaps signing a journeyman sort of arm just as insurance but I really can't see any scenario where someone gives up a pitcher of high value for PK. Are there any teams out there with such a surplus of pitching they'd give up MLB-caliber pitching that the Sox would consider an improvement over Floyd and Danks in return for a high-paid 1B?

the1tab
01-20-2008, 08:41 PM
I think we'll see the following:
C - AJ
1B - Konerko
2B - Richar
SS - Cabrera
3B - Fields
LF - Owens
CF - Swisher (also 1B)
RF - Dye
DH - Thome
Bench - A. Ramirez (OF, MidIF), Hall (C), Ozuna (OF, 3B), Quentin (OF)

Batting Order:
Owens, Cabrera, Konerko, Thome, Dye, Swisher, AJ, Fields, Richar

SP - Buehrle, Vazquez, Colon, Danks, Contreras
CL - Jenks
Pen - Dotel, Linebrink, Thornton, MacDougal, Logan, Wasserman

If this is what we put out there Opening Day, I think I like our chances in the ALC, I really do. I think Owens in left is a young, healthy reminder of what we all prayed Pds would have been longer than he was. Kenny seemed to be on board w/ Swisher in CF when the trade went down, too.

Craig Grebeck
01-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Owens starting over Quentin makes me want to blow my brains out.

Please.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Owens starting over Quentin makes me want to blow my brains out.

Please.

I laughed when I read that, but when it comes down to it, what has either really done to give you any confidence whatsoever in them starting? I would still like to see a trade that brings the Sox a proven outfielder who could lead off. They desperately need that.

mcp5185
01-21-2008, 05:59 AM
I really can't see them moving Konerko. No one is going to give up stud pitching for him, and I don't see the Sox moving PK for a #4 starter of the Jason Marquis ilk considering the organization seems pretty high on Floyd and Danks. I could see them perhaps signing a journeyman sort of arm just as insurance but I really can't see any scenario where someone gives up a pitcher of high value for PK. Are there any teams out there with such a surplus of pitching they'd give up MLB-caliber pitching that the Sox would consider an improvement over Floyd and Danks in return for a high-paid 1B?

Well we could trade Konerko to the Angels or someone else for some good prospects, and send them with Danks for a pretty decent pitcher. Bedard, Snell, Blanton, and Kazmir have all been mentioned to possibly be available for prospects.

Sargeant79
01-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I think we'll see the following:
C - AJ
1B - Konerko
2B - Richar
SS - Cabrera
3B - Fields
LF - Owens
CF - Swisher (also 1B)
RF - Dye
DH - Thome
Bench - A. Ramirez (OF, MidIF), Hall (C), Ozuna (OF, 3B), Quentin (OF)

Batting Order:
Owens, Cabrera, Konerko, Thome, Dye, Swisher, AJ, Fields, Richar

SP - Buehrle, Vazquez, Colon, Danks, Contreras
CL - Jenks
Pen - Dotel, Linebrink, Thornton, MacDougal, Logan, Wasserman

If this is what we put out there Opening Day, I think I like our chances in the ALC, I really do. I think Owens in left is a young, healthy reminder of what we all prayed Pds would have been longer than he was. Kenny seemed to be on board w/ Swisher in CF when the trade went down, too.

If Owens and Swisher are both starting in the outfield, Owens will be in CF with Swisher likely in LF (although it would make sense to put Dye in LF and Swisher in RF in that scenario).

Gavin
01-21-2008, 01:36 PM
This rotation scares the **** out of me:

Burls: You'll pitch like it's not 2006, right? He's a legit Ace but he's never going to be a Johan Santana.
Vasquez: He had one good year for the Sox where he posted a 3.74 ERA. Also recently were ERAs of 4.91, 4.42 and 4.84. That puts him as a #3/#4 on a "very good" MLB team.
Contreras: Let's not go there quite yet.
Danks/Floyd: These guys could be great or they could fail miserably.

I really, really hope KW does something to bump the rotation up just one notch.

Gammons Peter
01-21-2008, 02:12 PM
This rotation scares the **** out of me:

Burls: You'll pitch like it's not 2006, right? He's a legit Ace but he's never going to be a Johan Santana.
Vasquez: He had one good year for the Sox where he posted a 3.74 ERA. Also recently were ERAs of 4.91, 4.42 and 4.84. That puts him as a #3/#4 on a "very good" MLB team.
Contreras: Let's not go there quite yet.
Danks/Floyd: These guys could be great or they could fail miserably.

I really, really hope KW does something to bump the rotation up just one notch.

Buehrle IS NOT a "legit Ace". Look at his last 2 years: 22-22 with an ERA about 4.8 and very hittable. Thats a #4 or a #3 at best

rdivaldi
01-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Buehrle IS NOT a "legit Ace". Look at his last 2 years: 22-22 with an ERA about 4.8 and very hittable. Thats a #4 or a #3 at best

:thud:

You gotta be kidding me...

Whether or not Buehrle is an "Ace" is debatable, but it's an absolute farce to use his "last 2 years".

SoxNation05
01-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Stats only tell so much. Do you not remeber how terrible his second half of 2006 was. That completely ruined his stats over the last two years. If you erase that from his stats they are definetly at least a number 2 starter if not number one. Not to mention how terrible our rotation is. Also his role with the fans is ace like. You honestly can't tell me you don't love Burls its nearly impossible.

Gammons Peter
01-21-2008, 02:33 PM
:thud:

You gotta be kidding me...

Whether or not Buehrle is an "Ace" is debatable, but it's an absolute farce to use his "last 2 years".

why is it a farce. Okay do you just want to look at last year? fine. Lets look, he was mediocre.

sox1970
01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Buehrle is good, but not great.

Durable and Reliable--that's Mark Buehrle.

Gammons Peter
01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Look, I'm not looking to start a war of words here. I like Buehrle, but he is not a "Legit Ace" as someone posted.

balke
01-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Buehrle is good, but not great.

Durable and Reliable--that's Mark Buehrle.

Hahaha. You keep telling yourself that. Durability and reliability are what makes him great. A career 3.80 ERA pitching out of U.S. Cellular doesn't hurt either.

All of the people who say Buehrle's not an ace are the same ones who would be cursing a storm up if he was playing for someone else this season instead of being re-signed. The guy is solid, and has held the #1 pitcher role for the Sox for a long time now.

SoxNation05
01-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Hahaha. You keep telling yourself that. Durability and reliability are what makes him great. A career 3.80 ERA pitching out of U.S. Cellular doesn't hurt either.

All of the people who say Buehrle's not an ace are the same ones who would be cursing a storm up if he was playing for someone else this season instead of being re-signed. The guy is solid, and has held the #1 pitcher role for the Sox for a long time now.
If you erase the second half of 06' his era is like 3.40.

Gammons Peter
01-21-2008, 02:56 PM

no

was he the best pitcher on the team:
in 05? no
in 06? no
in 07? no

sox1970
01-21-2008, 03:05 PM

The whole thing about numbering pitchers is dumb because the Sox and most teams don't even skip guys in the rotation. By the second week of the season, you don't even see their best pitcher face our best pitcher anymore. The bottom line is Buehrle is a very good pitcher because he takes the ball every 5th game and usually goes at least 7 innings. If the Sox had 5 pitchers like that, they'd make the playoffs every year. I just don't think the label "#1" or "great" appplies to Buehrle. If he averages 17 wins a year for the next four years, maybe I'll change my mind.

balke
01-21-2008, 03:14 PM
no

was he the best pitcher on the team:
in 05? no - Look again
in 06? no
in 07? no

Wow, 3 years in a row he was beat out by career years of teammates.

2001 Best
2002 Best
2003 Loaiza baffles the world, Colon does slightly better.
2004 Best

He was the best pitcher statistically on the team for 3 of 4 seasons no questions asked

2005 arguably equal with Garland
2006 a bad half season.
2007 Javier Vazquez decides to pitch one year out of his life, Buehrle meanwhile throws a perfect game, pitches 200 innings, and has an ERA lower than any starter on the team.

So out of 7 seasons He's been the best pitcher or close to it 4 times. Every pitcher has a bad season or two, sometimes consecutively. You can't name a lot of current pitchers that do what he does and has done with his tenure here.

balke
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
The whole thing about numbering pitchers is dumb because the Sox and most teams don't even skip guys in the rotation. By the second week of the season, you don't even see their best pitcher face our best pitcher anymore. The bottom line is Buehrle is a very good pitcher because he takes the ball every 5th game and usually goes at least 7 innings. If the Sox had 5 pitchers like that, they'd make the playoffs every year. I just don't think the label "#1" or "great" appplies to Buehrle. If he averages 17 wins a year for the next four years, maybe I'll change my mind.

Then that all goes back to what the definition of great is. Great to me is a pitcher who you can put on many teams and expect he'll be the best or most valuable pitcher on that team. You can do that with Mark Buehrle.

Healthy. Low ERA. Winner. Inning eater.