PDA

View Full Version : Well, I was digging around youtube, thought this might bring a smile

Frontman
01-17-2008, 10:54 PM
TYzcB_6BCVs

There wasn't a moment I could say I was prouder to be a Southside Patriotic Sox fan than then.

I so can't wait for the season to begin. Just hearing Gene introduce Josh Groban has got me set for White Sox baseball.

ChiSoxGirl
01-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for posting that because I didn't even remember what it sounded like. I was at that game and just sobbed through the entire Anthem because I couldn't believe that I was about to watch my favorite team play in Game 1 of the World Series right in front of me! And like you, I've never been more proud to be a Sox fan in my whole life.

BTW, the lady at the very end, whose hands are cupped around her mouth, is WSI's very own steff.

SoxNation05
01-17-2008, 11:09 PM
I hate Groban.

Frontman
01-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks for posting that because I didn't even remember what it sounded like. I was at that game and just sobbed through the entire Anthem because I couldn't believe that I was about to watch my favorite team play in Game 1 of the World Series right in front of me! And like you, I've never been more proud to be a Sox fan in my whole life.

BTW, the lady at the very end, whose hands are cupped around her mouth, is WSI's very own steff.

steff as in screen name?

skobabe8
01-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I hate Groban.

Groban hates you.

kaufsox
01-17-2008, 11:54 PM
I so can't wait for the season to begin. Just hearing Gene introduce Josh Groban has got me set for White Sox baseball.

Amen. I got my Ozzie tickets a week ago and I keep on looking at them, putting the dates in the calendar. 3/31/08 can't get here soon enough...

chisoxmike
01-18-2008, 12:01 AM
I've never seen that before. Very cool.

johnr1note
01-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Actually, I wish they had included this pregame stuff on the World Series DVD set. I attended game 1,and would have loved to have this preserved. Thanks for posting it.

sox1970
01-18-2008, 12:08 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/ps/y2005/video.jsp?view=ws

mccoydp
01-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Awesome video. Thanks much for sharing.

soxrme
01-18-2008, 07:04 AM
That was great, hadn't seen or heard before. Hope we can get him back this year.

Frontman
01-18-2008, 07:13 AM
There's a site that preserves the National Anthem from as many sporting events as possible; including the World Series, Superbowl, etc. (I found it as I am a big Billy Joel fan, and wanted to get his performance from last year's Superbowl. When they can, they provide links to youtube versions of the same song.

Bucky F. Dent
01-18-2008, 07:34 AM
I know what you're getting at Front, and it was a stirring moment.

But IMHO, this will always be the most awesome anthem I have ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpxVE_kQXg

Messmer singing the anthem in Chicago Stadium before the '91 NHL Allstar game.

ChiSoxGirl
01-18-2008, 09:21 AM
steff as in screen name?

You got it!

pjchisox13
01-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Very cool, man it seems like that was a while ago now but at the time I had the biggest smile on my face and it did return for a bit this morning. Thanks!

KenBerryGrab
01-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for that! I was in the left-field upper deck and got chills when they rolled the flag out, and I just got chills again!

Foulke You
01-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that! I was in the left-field upper deck and got chills when they rolled the flag out, and I just got chills again!
I hate all of you that got to go to either World Series game. :tongue: My choice back in '05 was pay the rent or go the scalper route and purchase one World Series ticket for myself. I foolishly chose to pay the rent.:D:

soxfan21
01-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Brought goose bumps to my forearms, thanks for the video and the memories.

duke of dorwood
01-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks-I was in the car headed home and hadnt seen that

batmanZoSo
01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
That was a good performance. I like rhythmic Nat'l Anthems better than the a capella ones.

Remember Liz Phair did game 2, or maybe it was God Bless America? Like Mike Ditka with an acoustic. OFF KEY.

spawn
01-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I hate Groban.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't care.

That brought goosebumps....

WSox73
01-18-2008, 03:58 PM

Again, thanks for posting! This is the first time I've made it thru without sobbing. :smile: The lady at the end is great!

HomeFish
01-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I was at that game and have absolutely no recollection of the national anthem or any of the pre-game festivities. Just an image of Neal Cotts kicking ass seared into my brain.

soxinem1
01-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I listen and watch this when I put on the World Series game I disc, and I use it in my PA calling too.

But he does the same rendition everywhere, even the piped in music is the same.

Frontman
01-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I listen and watch this when I put on the World Series game I disc, and I use it in my PA calling too.

But he does the same rendition everywhere, even the piped in music is the same.

That part doesn't matter to me, though. It was just a great moment to have finally happen on the Southside (and for once I enjoyed Joe Buck's commentary. "We're having a party on the Southside of Chicago, and you're all invited!")

haganaga
01-18-2008, 05:22 PM
TYzcB_6BCVs

There wasn't a moment I could say I was prouder to be a Southside Patriotic Sox fan than then.

Thank you so much for posting that. Just got chills sitting at my desk. I'll never forget seeing that flag being broken out and thinking, "I can't believe the White Sox are in the World Series. It's really happening...AND I'M HERE!"

Frontman
01-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I have to be honest, many moments of the 2005 post season I listened to instead of watched, as I paced the length of my apartment quite a few times during the games.

CashMan
01-18-2008, 07:03 PM
I hate all of you that got to go to either World Series game. :tongue: My choice back in '05 was pay the rent or go the scalper route and purchase one World Series ticket for myself. I foolishly chose to pay the rent.:D:

Ohhh, living in a house/apartment is wayyyyy overrated!

bryPt
01-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Crap, I was going to game prep all weekend for my other all time favorite sports team (the Green Bay Packers), but now I gotta pull out the ol WS2005 DVD's and watch at least game one and two. Damn you for posting this!

2008 World Series Champs - Chicago White Sox!

doublem23
01-18-2008, 11:28 PM
I know what you're getting at Front, and it was a stirring moment.

But IMHO, this will always be the most awesome anthem I have ever seen:

Messmer singing the anthem in Chicago Stadium before the '91 NHL Allstar game.

Wayne Messmer doesn't even sing the National Anthem correctly.

NoShoesJoe
01-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Wayne Messmer is great. Ever see the NHL Allstar performance in '91?

doublem23
01-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Wayne Messmer is great. Ever see the NHL Allstar performance in '91?

Wayne Messmer sucks.

The day someone resurrects Francis Scott Key and he personally tells me the song is supposed to end with brave sung at that pitch is the day I'll reverse my opinion. Is there anything more pretentous than altering the National Anthem for no apparent good reason?

SoxNation05
01-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Wayne Messmer sucks.

The day someone resurrects Francis Scott Key and he personally tells me the song is supposed to end with brave sung at that pitch is the day I'll reverse my opinion. Is there anything more pretentous than altering the National Anthem for no apparent good reason?
Wow, I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for making this post.

Bucky F. Dent
01-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Wow, if you live long enough you see everything, but I never thought I would see the day that Wayne Messmer was criticized for the way he sang the national anthem.

doublem23
01-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Wow, if you live long enough you see everything, but I never thought I would see the day that Wayne Messmer was criticized for the way he sang the national anthem.

Are you serious? :?:

There are plenty of people who loathe his personalized Star-Spangled Banner.

I'm surprised that he wasn't torn to bits the first time he pulled that stunt.

Frontman
01-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Wayne sings the Anthem with a ton of passion. I think what makes America great is that you can get such a range performing the Anthem; yet they all speak to the heart and the culture that is America.

From renditions like Beyonce,
To Billy Joel
Smoky Robinson
Kelly Clarkson
Josh Groban
Willie Nelson
Boys II Men
Toby Keith

And the countless versions you can think of. All prove what makes America great.

Any take on it, when sung with emotion, love, and dedication is always fine in my book.

Fenway
01-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Wayne Messmer sucks.

The tune was from an old British drinking song. I doubt Key would mind one bit.

Best American anthem ever? Easy.........

Smokey Robinson at Fenway Park in 1986
and for me to have a good memory of the 1986 World Series - trust me this is good

video is wonderfully directed by Harry Coyle of NBC and introduced by Sherm Feller.

qZUoV_iw0II

Fenway
01-19-2008, 02:50 AM
There's a site that preserves the National Anthem from as many sporting events as possible; including the World Series, Superbowl, etc. (I found it as I am a big Billy Joel fan, and wanted to get his performance from last year's Superbowl. When they can, they provide links to youtube versions of the same song.

LINK please?????

I posted a link to the best anthem I have ever heard at a baseball game..Smokey Robinson before Game 5 of the 86 Series.

BEST ANTHEM EVER..........

This is a no brainer.

NHL All Star Weekend in Quebec City around 1991

The Soviet Anthem was sung at the game by the Red Army Choir.....OMG it was that good

Best anthem singer ever? Roger Doucet at the Forum de Montreal

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=U1ARTU0001005

doublem23
01-19-2008, 08:57 AM
The tune was from an old British drinking song. I doubt Key would mind one bit.

OK, I'm still going to believe that he spins in his grave everytime he hears that "high pitch flourish" at the end of the song. And I still think Wayne Messmer deserves to be publicly tarred and feathered.

steff
01-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Wow... seems like so long ago, though I remember it like it was yesterday. Thanks for posting this. My 4 seconds of fame :D:

Bucky F. Dent
01-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Are you serious? :?:

There are plenty of people who loathe his personalized Star-Spangled Banner.

I'm surprised that he wasn't torn to bits the first time he pulled that stunt.

Absolutely serious.

Messmer singing the Anthem at the Stadium was as much of a tradition in this town as Kate Smith in Philly.

bigfoot
01-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Absolutely serious.

Messmer singing the Anthem at the Stadium was as much of a tradition in this town as Kate Smith in Philly.

The real tradition in the Stadium was the ROAR drowning out the usual droning of the Nat Anthem . Now THAT was exhilarating!

Frontman
01-19-2008, 05:26 PM
http://gba.wavethemes.net/music-ssb.html

That's the link to where they have the files. Pretty neat collection.

chisox77
01-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks for posting that gem, Frontman. Groban did a terrific job, and I couldn't have been more proud to be a White Sox fan when all of that was happening. October of 2005 was awesome!!

:cool:

Sox
01-20-2008, 02:08 PM
TYzcB_6BCVs

That version of the star spangled banner left me speechless. That was so beautifully done by Josh. Makes me proud to say that I am a veteran, a proud and patriotic american and a diehard WhiteSox fan.:)

fed ex 4 pasqua
01-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Lou Rawls blew that version away when sang it for Game Two. Even the guitarist for the Lovehammers did a better version before Game Two of the ALCS.

kaufsox
01-20-2008, 03:00 PM
who is the guy that sings "God Bless America?" I love his rendition and I just saw him do the anthem at the Hawks. Great, powerful baritone. gives me shivers.