PDA

View Full Version : Don Baylor's Job in Jeopardy?

Viva Magglio
04-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Considering that a poll question on the Tribune-owned chicagosports.com is posing:

"Should the Cubs fire Don Baylor?"

Could it be a sign that Andy MacPhail will be telling Baylor that they'll be "going in a different direction?"

sox_fan_4life
04-20-2002, 09:04 PM
I am not surprised. It was a damn shame to waste a talented manager like Baylor on that bunch of stiffs that call Wrigley sewer..er...I mean home.

duke of dorwood
04-20-2002, 09:06 PM
Talented Manager? What has he done?

Viva Magglio
04-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Also consider, MacPhail gave Baylor a "vote of confidence" early this week. And as we all know, the "vote of confidence" is the kiss of death.

sox_fan_4life
04-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Talented Manager? What has he done?

He got shammy to hit 66. ANd he led a no-talent team to almost make the playoffs. Last years run was amazing only because the scrubs were so friggen bad.

doublem23
04-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life
He got shammy to hit 66.

:shammy
No, that was the "Flintstone's Chewable Vitamins."

Vsahajpal
04-20-2002, 09:20 PM

He got shammy to hit 66. ANd he led a no-talent team to almost make the playoffs. Last years run was amazing only because the scrubs were so friggen bad.

lmao!

please, he's one of the worst managers in baseball right now.

sox_fan_4life
04-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

:shammy
No, that was the "Flintstone's Chewable Vitamins."

Who do you think supplied the flinstones chewables?

Baylor, that's who.

doublem23
04-20-2002, 09:24 PM
Who do you think supplied the flinstones chewables?

Baylor, that's who.

Yeah, but Riggleman was the manager in 1998.

HawkDJ
04-20-2002, 09:28 PM
This from ESPN Insider's Rumor Central:

Apr. 19 - With two managers already fired this season and the Cubs off to a 5-9 start, is Don Baylor's job in jeopardy? Absolutely not, says Cubs prez/GM Andy MacPhail, according to the Chicago Tribune. Baylor's contract runs through the '03 season and MacPhail has a history of patience. After all, in 1997 the Cubs got out of the blocks 0-14 and it wasn't until after the '99 season that MacPhail finally called an end to five seasons of Jim Riggleman.

sox_fan_4life
04-20-2002, 09:29 PM

Yeah, but Riggleman was the manager in 1998.

Damn. You got me there. Though Baylor may have been shammy's hookup. (Is that the right way to say that, i am not big on drug slang?)
Maybe that's how he got the job.
oooh I smell conspiracy.

No one here is supposed to be interested enough in the cubs to know who the managers were before baylor.

doublem23
04-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

ESPN Insider's Rumor Central AKA "We don't know what the hell we're talking about, and we're completely making this crap up to fill space on the website and that in the rare event we actually did get something right, we can all pat ourselves on the back" Department.

:boston
My World Series pick? Red Sox in 5.

sox_fan_4life
04-20-2002, 09:35 PM

ESPN Insider's Rumor Central AKA "We don't know what the hell we're talking about, and we're completely making this crap up to fill space on the website and that in the rare event we actually did get something right, we can all pat ourselves on the back" Department.

:boston
My World Series pick? Red Sox in 5.

That's very interesting and very funny. But what does it have to do with Shammy's obvious vitamin addiction? How Baylor is involved? And the conspiracy to hire Baylor as scrub manager to make the chewables easier for shammy to obtain?

Viva Magglio
04-20-2002, 09:39 PM

If you wanted to credit a Cubs manager instead of the Flinstone vitamins, you would have to credit Riggs who was managing at the time.

doublem23
04-20-2002, 09:40 PM

That's very interesting and very funny. But what does it have to do with Shammy's obvious vitamin addiction? How Baylor is involved? And the conspiracy to hire Baylor as scrub manager to make the chewables easier for shammy to obtain?

I, um, wasn't responding to your last post... I was responding to an earlier on by HawkDJ2K2.

Viva Magglio
04-20-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

The kiss of death.

sox_fan_4life
04-20-2002, 09:43 PM

I, um, wasn't responding to your last post... I was responding to an earlier on by HawkDJ2K2.

I know. Nevermind, I am just a bored old(37) guy trying to have a little fun.

doublem23
04-20-2002, 09:57 PM

I know. Nevermind, I am just a bored old(37) guy trying to have a little fun.

LOL... I'm an 18-year old with less than one month of high school, so my mind is getting started on summer vacation already... :smile:

BTW... Don't let PHG or FWC know that you consider 37 old... LOL!

sox_fan_4life
04-20-2002, 09:59 PM

LOL... I'm an 18-year old with less than one month of high school, so my mind is getting started on summer vacation already... :smile:

BTW... Don't let PHG or FWC know that you consider 37 old... LOL!

I know, those guys are ancient.

Tragg
04-20-2002, 10:23 PM
I am not surprised. It was a damn shame to waste a talented manager like Baylor on that bunch of stiffs that call Wrigley sewer..er...I mean home.

Well, he managed a team full of mainly stiffs to contend for 2/3rds of the season last year.
Nice way to take attention off of the organization and their inability to assemble any talent - blame the coach.

voodoochile
04-21-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

Well, he managed a team full of mainly stiffs to contend for 2/3rds of the season last year.
Nice way to take attention off of the organization and their inability to assemble any talent - blame the coach.

As bad as the flubbies are fundamentally, Baylor HAS to take some of the heat. They just cannot do anything right and they are headed for the basement fast at this rate. The team is going to start to crack pretty soon.

Alou is a head case who plays when he wants to ("oooo... my back... couch, I can't go today..."). ShamMEMEME is the same old same old. He won't change his game at all (anyone see him run into the wall today while trying to field a grounder down the first base line that turned into a triple- I was crying I was laughing so hard). They cannot take walks and the pitchers look confused when they take the mound (good decision to fire Acosta, huh?). Something has to give if the flubbies are serious about winning (I crack me up)...

Not that firing Baylor will save this season (nothing can do that, IMO). But, Baylor has to go if they are going to improve...

Nellie_Fox
04-21-2002, 03:07 AM
I know, those guys are ancient.
My first language is Sanscrit.

LongDistanceFan
04-21-2002, 05:31 AM
am i the only guy who doesn't want him fired.............. it he is such a lousy manager............ then the sCrubs should keep him and ruin another yr for the north siders.